From the clouds. Two bolters to debut.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

From the clouds. Two bolters to debut.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/st-ki ... 65f88d1051

St Kilda coach Ross Lyon is adamant there’s no injury “crisis” at the club as he prepares to unleash at least two first-gamers against Fremantle on Sunday in his return to the AFL cauldron.

Teenager Anthony Caminiti, who joined the Saints over the summer, has “come from the clouds” to join top-10 draft pick Mattaes Phillipou as round 1 debutants as the club deals with a lengthy injury list.

Key forwards Max King and Tim Membrey are among 14 sidelined players, but Lyon, in his second stint at St Kilda, said he was “not overly stressed” by the situation on the eve of the season.

“There’s no soft-tissue crisis – as a coach, you think ‘soft tissues’,” he said.

“Clearly the ones we‘d love to have are our key power forwards. Other than that … the 23 we pick will all have had full summers and be fit.

“I’m not overly stressed.”

Caminti, 19, was training with Carlton’s VFL side when he popped up on the radar of new St Kilda recruiter Stephen Silvagni and was invited to train, quickly making an impression.

But his quick progression to an AFL debut has come about as much due to the absence of so many players.

“Caminiti has come from the clouds, hasn’t he?” Lyon said.

“It‘s likely we’ll have those two, Phillipou and Caminiti, as debutants.

“Hopefully, they get to the line, but it is looking likely. That‘s exciting. With (Mitch) Owens and Caminiti, we could build something here over the longer term. That’s how I’m approaching it.“

Mitch Owens will also play in attack in the absence of tall targets King and Membrey, with Lyon suggesting there were no “no rabbits in the hat” to cover for their gun forwards.

Former first-round draft pick Liam Stocker, who was delisted by Carlton last year, could also play against the Dockers.

Lyon revealed Membrey could miss at least the first month of the season after undergoing an arthroscope on his knee, with his recovery not as rapid as hoped.

“It just hasn‘t panned out as quick as we liked. He’ll get back, but it’s certainly not going to be next week. It could be round 4, 5 or 6,” Lyon said.

“They went in and did an arthroscope. They trimmed a couple of fibres. A little bit of grunginess. They are just trying to get him going. He was running around like a gazelle, but he felt it clunking getting in and out of the car, so that’s what stimulated it.

King Max
Club Player

Re: From the clouds. Two bolters to debut.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they named Max Heath as well.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

King Max wrote: Wed 15 Mar 2023 6:00pm I wouldn’t be surprised if they named Max Heath as well.
Sounds like Campbell from the presser. Worried about the Darcy/Jackson combo.

Heath needs to play early in the season but he is coming off an ankle injury and maybe best not to let him loose half injured against Darcy and Jackson.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

King Max wrote: Wed 15 Mar 2023 6:00pm I wouldn’t be surprised if they named Max Heath as well.
You'd be tbe only one then ...the rest of the football world would be knocked off its axis.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Wed 15 Mar 2023 8:29pm
Sounds like Campbell from the presser. Worried about the Darcy/Jackson combo.

Heath needs to play early in the season but he is coming off an ankle injury and maybe best not to let him loose half injured against Darcy and Jackson.
Lip service I recon, still don't think Ross will feed him to the sharks against two of the premier ruckman in the comp.

Ross has already got too many balls up in the air to roll the dice on Cambell you'd think.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

I agree they wont play Campbell or Heath this week will go with Cordy forward/ 2nd ruck. Campbell and Heath are both coming off recent injuries and wont give us enough of a contest forward. Interesting spin about soft the extent of the tissue injuries, when Max King did a hamstring at trainig today.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

No injury crisis!

Of course not, just like there are no African gangs.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Wed 15 Mar 2023 11:36pm I agree they wont play Campbell or Heath this week will go with Cordy forward/ 2nd ruck. Campbell and Heath are both coming off recent injuries and wont give us enough of a contest forward. Interesting spin about soft the extent of the tissue injuries, when Max King did a hamstring at trainig today.
Heath is a fair way off it, I'd be surprised if he gets a look in before the half way to three quarter mark of the season. Still needs time at Sandy.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote: Thu 16 Mar 2023 9:01am No injury crisis!

Of course not, just like there are no African gangs.
If you ignore it, and don't publicize it, it doesn't exist. 8-) :wink: