Ratts praised for his incredible dignified exit

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Re: Ratts praised for his incredible dignified exit

damienc wrote: Mon 28 Nov 2022 11:33am
Teflon wrote: Sun 27 Nov 2022 7:03pm
The Fireman wrote: Sun 27 Nov 2022 5:16pm
Scollop wrote: Sun 27 Nov 2022 5:04pm
Sanctorum wrote: Sun 27 Nov 2022 12:33pm Thanks for posting this saynta, there's little doubt that Brett Ratten is in every way a very decent human being because his exit came totally out of the blue and would have been really hard for him to accept. It was obvious when he was coach that one of his big strengths was loyalty to the players, evidenced by Jack Steele's reaction of incredulity when he heard Ratten had been sacked.

I am on record, as you are too, for supporting Ratten when he came under severe attack from posters on this forum - but that's all in the past and there's nought to be gained by rehashing any of that now, time to move on, wipe the slate clean and jump onboard for the next thrilling and enthralling adventure that Saints supporters are about to witness!

Let's face it, I can't remember the last time that I have felt so excited and energised about a new season, so much good news that's come from Linton Street since early October - none of which would have eventuated if the Board had stuck with Mr Nice Guy Brett!
I’ll revisit this thread in 10 months time.

Let’s see how ‘energised’ you feel at the end of home and away next year

The headline in that piece used the word ‘dignified’ to describe Brett Ratten. Yep….definitely….he wasn’t suited to St Kilda
So you honestly believe this wasn’t a good move by the club?
Lol you’re asking for an answer that requires the whingers to form an independent opinion…I admire your optimism
All these glorified Brett bum boys still fail to tell us what they would’ve done differently to the club???
It’s far easier to b!tch from the cheap seats.
FWIW my position: In Ross we trust.
Not that hard really….lol

And why wouldn't you? Love him or loath him he got us to the show. Twice. Third time lucky I am hoping.
When he had a significant amount of elite and A grade talent at his disposal....this time not so much.

Sanctorum
Club Player

"by Vortex » Sun 27 Nov 2022 5:20pm

Now it's about strong leadership and being a tough regime, ruthless in our pursuits and unforgiving if standards aren't met....and going to the draft to find talent.
"

I interpret this statement by Vortex as precisely what the club's position is under the new management team, and he's quite right.

Yes, I'm aware that in 9 months time I'm risking ridicule for my optimistic outlook on the new direction taken by the club, but that doesn't bother me, I'm just so relieved that they're trying something drastically different to get the team back to sutained success on the field, don't supporters deserve that??

Having some of the leading players from the successful era 2005 - 2011 back at Moorabbin will surely do wonders to build a strong culture of success within the current list, many of who are still quite young.

I'm sure Brett Ratten's record as senior coach deserves to be recognised as having been reasonably successful at both Carlton and St Kilda, imho he was an improvement on Alan Richardson, but let himself down by poor communication skills which he displayed when he appeared in the media and may well also have affected his coaching.....

"Where there is no hope, it is incumbent on us to invent it.."

Albert Camus (1913-1960) French philospher
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Mon 28 Nov 2022 12:13pm "by Vortex » Sun 27 Nov 2022 5:20pm

Now it's about strong leadership and being a tough regime, ruthless in our pursuits and unforgiving if standards aren't met....and going to the draft to find talent.
"

I interpret this statement by Vortex as precisely what the club's position is under the new management team, and he's quite right.

Yes, I'm aware that in 9 months time I'm risking ridicule for my optimistic outlook on the new direction taken by the club, but that doesn't bother me, I'm just so relieved that they're trying something drastically different to get the team back to sutained success on the field, don't supporters deserve that??

Having some of the leading players from the successful era 2005 - 2011 back at Moorabbin will surely do wonders to build a strong culture of success within the current list, many of who are still quite young.

I'm sure Brett Ratten's record as senior coach deserves to be recognised as having been reasonably successful at both Carlton and St Kilda, imho he was an improvement on Alan Richardson, but let himself down by poor communication skills which he displayed when he appeared in the media and may well also have affected his coaching.....
There is absolutely no doubt whatsoever that it's an ALL OR NOTHING strategy.

Bassett's Swan Song if you like.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Sun 27 Nov 2022 12:33pm Thanks for posting this saynta, there's little doubt that Brett Ratten is in every way a very decent human being because his exit came totally out of the blue and would have been really hard for him to accept. It was obvious when he was coach that one of his big strengths was loyalty to the players, evidenced by Jack Steele's reaction of incredulity when he heard Ratten had been sacked.

I am on record, as you are too, for supporting Ratten when he came under severe attack from posters on this forum - but that's all in the past and there's nought to be gained by rehashing any of that now, time to move on, wipe the slate clean and jump onboard for the next thrilling and enthralling adventure that Saints supporters are about to witness!

Let's face it, I can't remember the last time that I have felt so excited and energised about a new season, so much good news that's come from Linton Street since early October - none of which would have eventuated if the Board had stuck with Mr Nice Guy Brett!

The headline in that piece used the word ‘dignified’ to describe Brett Ratten. Yep….definitely….he wasn’t suited to St Kilda
Lol you’re asking for an answer that requires the whingers to form an independent opinion…I admire your optimism
All these glorified Brett bum boys still fail to tell us what they would’ve done differently to the club???

And why wouldn't you? Love him or loath him he got us to the show. Twice. Third time lucky I am hoping.
Spot on
The way I rationalise this is: worst thing that happens under Lyon is we play finals and improve standards across the board
The review was very kind to Brett for a reason but don’t discount the fact we weee a mess underneath

“Yeah….nah””
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Seems like a great bloke, but not a premiership coach.

Correct move to sack him, made laughable by re-signing him a few months earlier.

In a short time Ross has already appeared to bring clarity and an uncompromising edge which successful teams need.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

The_Dud wrote: Mon 28 Nov 2022 1:51pm Seems like a great bloke, but not a premiership coach.

Correct move to sack him, made laughable by re-signing him a few months earlier.

In a short time Ross has already appeared to bring clarity and an uncompromising edge which successful teams need.
It's only been a week.
Honeymoon period.
Like a new car.
Wait till Round 6 or 7 before we can really gauge whether this new car is like a Chinese-built MG, or is it a brand new AMG Merc

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Mon 28 Nov 2022 1:31pm

Spot on
The way I rationalise this is: worst thing that happens under Lyon is we play finals and improve standards across the board
The review was very kind to Brett for a reason but don’t discount the fact we weee a mess underneath
we only have a couple Ratten fan boys...the rest of us see the value in the clubs move..so all good

asiu
Saintsational Legend

neither

if the Ratter struggled with a coherent system
of getting it through the big sticks

how could anything the new mob come up with
possibly be worse ?

hopefully
Rosco goes young fit fast and eff the mistakes

keep going

faster fitter and eff the eff ups keep going

no arguing with the umps **** them as well
keep going

IT WILL CLICK

and every other bunch of pretenders
will then , be following us.

Simples
Last edited by asiu on Mon 28 Nov 2022 5:25pm, edited 1 time in total.

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
asiu
Saintsational Legend

haha

i forgot the important bit

neither of those two buckets on wheels

ya need a vehicle that loves going round corners

a Thruxton RS will do it

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Wonder what would have happened if the season was reversed and we were 3-8 at the half way mark and then went 8-3 after the break.

He may have survived.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Mon 28 Nov 2022 5:27pm Wonder what would have happened if the season was reversed and we were 3-8 at the half way mark and then went 8-3 after the break.

He may have survived.
What if

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

What the f... was he supposed to say. 3-8 wasn't that bad......not my fault........it was the players......no one would listen to me?
His sense of personal dignity must soaring high right now. Just like his grey hair and waist measurement. I liked Ratts but he knew where he was headed.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

There’s dignity in being mediocre after all.

😂

saynta
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Mon 28 Nov 2022 3:49pm
The_Dud wrote: Mon 28 Nov 2022 1:51pm Seems like a great bloke, but not a premiership coach.

It's only been a week.
Honeymoon period.
Like a new car.
Wait till Round 6 or 7 before we can really gauge whether this new car is like a Chinese-built MG, or is it a brand new AMG Merc
The new trash or treasure eh? Deceased Owners of TC'S, TD's and MGA's must turn in their graves.

Not overly impressed with German overpriced rubbish either.

Love my RX8. Designed by a F1 driver too. Drove it on Orion Park before it closed down.

Killa
Club Player

Noting the contributions to this site, who actually knows Brett and his family?

So who is in a position to speak - and I would put that anyone who is in a position to speak would not breach confidences even more so on a site such as this

It is on the public record that, when called before the Board, the Board did not disagree with anything Brett put forward

There was speculation that some powerful Club identities who were not on the Board had influence

Anyway, we will see what transpires from here

To date the Club has lost Ryder, Hannebery, Geary and Long plus a couple of others - and gained Cordy

Plus who we add to the List from here

Hopefully, across 2023, we have the full services of Coffield, Billings, Steele, Higgins and all the others whose 2022 was impacted by injury

And others starting with Paton, Wanganeen-Milera, Windhager and Owen continue their improvement - along with the likes of Heath, Adams and Peris

At least Brett had the time to go looking for the family dog when it escaped the yard

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Killa wrote: Mon 28 Nov 2022 7:53pm Noting the contributions to this site, who actually knows Brett and his family?

So who is in a position to speak - and I would put that anyone who is in a position to speak would not breach confidences even more so on a site such as this

It is on the public record that, when called before the Board, the Board did not disagree with anything Brett put forward

There was speculation that some powerful Club identities who were not on the Board had influence

Anyway, we will see what transpires from here

To date the Club has lost Ryder, Hannebery, Geary and Long plus a couple of others - and gained Cordy

Plus who we add to the List from here

Hopefully, across 2023, we have the full services of Coffield, Billings, Steele, Higgins and all the others whose 2022 was impacted by injury

And others starting with Paton, Wanganeen-Milera, Windhager and Owen continue their improvement - along with the likes of Heath, Adams and Peris

At least Brett had the time to go looking for the family dog when it escaped the yard
Killa, remember Mattaes Grandfather?

Killa
Club Player

Yes, I do

My phone has lit up from Adelaide

I have put a contribution on the other thread

Mind you the best player West Torrens produced was Nev Roberts, who saw the light after leaving Richmond

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Killa wrote: Mon 28 Nov 2022 10:52pm Yes, I do

My phone has lit up from Adelaide

I have put a contribution on the other thread

Mind you the best player West Torrens produced was Nev Roberts, who saw the light after leaving Richmond
Not Bob Shearman or Lindsay Head? Geoff Kingston?

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Kent thinks Ratts is a great guy for gifting him his 100th game.

Good riddance lack of selection integrity and mediocrity.

Killa
Club Player

Interesting names

Francine and Bob Shearman I knew very well. Bob was a tragic loss because he was a great guy

From Essendon to West Torrens then to Sturt

And mine host at the Waverley Hotel on Unley Road

There are some stories

Bob Kingston came from Wagga Wagga and lived at a boarding house on Henley Beach Road initially - across the road from bus stop 10, where he met his future wife

Went onto journalism

Lindsay also okayed Shield cricket, being the first player to hit a 6 at all first class venues at the time

Mine host at the Cross Keys Hotel

Funny about that