Ratts gets 2 year extension - email from President

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Re: Ratts gets 2 year extension - email from President

Poor decision by the club

I would not have recommitted until it was known whether we play finals.

Personally,
I do not rate him very highly

SunnyErnie
Club Player

st.byron wrote: Fri 08 Jul 2022 7:00pm
Moods wrote: Fri 08 Jul 2022 12:38pm What's the rush? Were other clubs lining up to sign him? Is he in demand?
I would have thought that we'd have the luxury of letting the whole year, or at least more of it play out, before we signed him. Our last month of footy has been terrible. We played a lot better last week but I would have thought with a tough run home lets see how the team performs. What is the downside of that? Just tell Ratts that contract talks will be suspended until the end of the year - you know, when his contract runs out. I'm not at all convinced by Ratts and am perplexed at how easily many on here are satisfied with what he has done. We have had a remarkably good run with injury this year and are still a middling team. We don't have to win every game we just have to show that we can be competitive in every game. This last month we haven't been able to show that and I'm very concerned. A very poor decision in my view.
Same. Rubbish decision. I have serious doubts about Ratten. Should have at least waited until the season is over. Same people did the same thing with Richo. Rewarded mediocrity mid-season and trumpeted it as the future. Am in the minority probably, but that’s what I think. So St.Kilda.
Agree 100% with you st.byron. It just so St Kilda to keep making the same mistakes over and over again. What they should have done is wait until the end of the year and made an informed decision. Then in the meantime they could have spoken to Clarko and Bucks and just listened to what they had to say.

St Kilda should never trade with Essendon and Sydney ever again!!!

NeXus
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

There was no "waiting" middle ground. Ratts was either going to be renewed or replaced.
Early wins had the Board bullish but recent results and fall from the 8 has given them doubts. IMO.
You can bet there was some sort of market scan and nothing obviously better popped up for the near term and they say he has the players and coaches. So the extension, but not for as long as Brett wanted.
He might well be keeping an eye on Enright if we don't climb the ladder.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

We have a list which is majority 25-30 in our best 22

If we are not a finals team, what are we?

This list SHOULD be 6-8th imo but we are performing 8-12

I’m not sold on Ratts but then again I’m not someone who believes a senior coach is the main influence on team performance

Imo there are other more important variables

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Personally I think it's the right move if other variables are altered. We need to move on Assistants not under his (contractual) control. The opportunity to move on players now under his (contractual) control. The spotlight should then be firmly on coaching, recruitment & the football department. Sacking a coach gives way too many people an escape clause.

happy feet
Club Player

SunnyErnie wrote: Fri 08 Jul 2022 7:21pm
Moods wrote: Fri 08 Jul 2022 12:38pm What's the rush? Were other clubs lining up to sign him? Is he in demand?
I would have thought that we'd have the luxury of letting the whole year, or at least more of it play out, before we signed him. Our last month of footy has been terrible. We played a lot better last week but I would have thought with a tough run home lets see how the team performs. What is the downside of that? Just tell Ratts that contract talks will be suspended until the end of the year - you know, when his contract runs out. I'm not at all convinced by Ratts and am perplexed at how easily many on here are satisfied with what he has done. We have had a remarkably good run with injury this year and are still a middling team. We don't have to win every game we just have to show that we can be competitive in every game. This last month we haven't been able to show that and I'm very concerned. A very poor decision in my view.
Same. Rubbish decision. I have serious doubts about Ratten. Should have at least waited until the season is over. Same people did the same thing with Richo. Rewarded mediocrity mid-season and trumpeted it as the future. Am in the minority probably, but that’s what I think. So St.Kilda.
Agree 100% with you st.byron. It just so St Kilda to keep making the same mistakes over and over again. What they should have done is wait until the end of the year and made an informed decision. Then in the meantime they could have spoken to Clarko and Bucks and just listened to what they had to say.
Good decision by the Club. Suffer in your Jocks Ernie. Just when I thought you couldn’t get any more annoying you have that stupid flashing thing going.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Well I bought a guernsey from the club shop today. Away type. It’ll help me remember the Carlton win.

Honestly have no idea if it’s good or bad and tho it seems strange to sign mid season I know at a deeper level it is actually typical and that there are probably interlocking factors at play - not all purely with football in mind.

So nevermind.

Now I gotta think about the number!

Hard to push past number 7 even though I represent t no 34

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

I’m not opposed to Ratts getting an extension, but I don’t like the way the club has gone about it.

If you believe the rumours, this decision was made over the bye and if there’s any truth in that, then the club was probably waiting for the next win to announce it.

Also, two years? One year, sure. But on what basis is two years justified? Do they not remember Richo’s debacle of a contract extension? Still, I would expect nothing less from the Finnis administration.

Anyway, done deal now. Only hope my skepticism turns out to be unfounded.

Bad management is bad management
asiu
Saintsational Legend

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Now Sydney will have had a % boosting win makes our job even harder . How Ratt's performs over the next phase of the season will give us a good indication of what we have to look forward to in the future . We have some tough games & I don't expect us to make the 8 but it is how we actually compete more so than winning or losing is the thing I will be looking for

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Didn’t realise Ratts was pulling the jumper on?

Banger9798
SS Life Member

Sounds like we have gone for a stable choice, but I really wonder if Ratts has the hunger to demand what it takes for a flag.

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Totally agree
Decision was a done deal weeks ago - Caro was hinting 5 weeks ago he was there for long term
Then wheels fell off for 3 losses and debarcles against Bombers and Swans
We eek out a win out cone the flurry of players signings and the coach
Do they think we are stupid?
As others have said it’s not entirely clear 3 years into Ratten where we are as a team
We have a group of experienced players - many from other clubs and in that some very GOPs
A midfield lacking real class, run and goal scoring ability (please don’t tell me De Goeys the answer ffs)
What’s most concerning to me is our poor transition game plan and very poor forward 50 game
I fully agree that Lade and McGlynn have to go - it’s feeling a bit too chummy down there
And FFS sound out a Mark Williams type (he’s a bit mad Choco but I reckon these safe players need a bit of that) as head of football
DO something if you’re telling us you saved $ by not signing Clarkson
I think we’ll finish 9 or 10 smack bang in no man’s land, carrying too many B-D type players

“Yeah….nah””
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sat 09 Jul 2022 2:02am
Totally agree
Decision was a done deal weeks ago - Caro was hinting 5 weeks ago he was there for long term

I thought you thought 'She’s fraudulent' and you didn't give a rats arse what she said

viewtopic.php?p=1918304#p1918304

viewtopic.php?p=1945167#p1945167

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Totally agree
As others have said it’s not entirely clear 3 years into Ratten where we are as a team
We have a group of experienced players - many from other clubs and in that some very GOPs
A midfield lacking real class, run and goal scoring ability (please don’t tell me De Goeys the answer ffs)
What’s most concerning to me is our poor transition game plan and very poor forward 50 game
I fully agree that Lade and McGlynn have to go - it’s feeling a bit too chummy down there
And FFS sound out a Mark Williams type (he’s a bit mad Choco but I reckon these safe players need a bit of that) as head of football
I think we’ll finish 9 or 10 smack bang in no man’s land, carrying too many B-D type players
Would you expect any less from the “nice men first” administration running the club.

Bad management is bad management
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sat 09 Jul 2022 4:35am
Totally agree

I thought you thought 'She’s fraudulent' and you didn't give a rats arse what she said

Ofcourse I do and she is
Doesn’t change the fact she gets mail and was on the money here weeks ago does it??
Odd post

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

SydneySainter wrote: Sat 09 Jul 2022 11:31am
Totally agree
Would you expect any less from the “nice men first” administration running the club.
No I agree it has that feel about it
Just let’s all get in for a big cuddle and family and she’ll be right
Problem with that is wheels fell off over the last month and we now miss finals after being 8-3 and most objective footy pundits will tell you lost wise we are in no man’s land
Many B graders (some who can’t kick) getting games - other club rejects
Apart from King zero stars and certainly none in the midfield (Steele solid A not match winner)
Sprinkling of good kids
We are a 9-12 team we’ll finish there again and coach gets 2 more ??
I’d have waited till seasons end but nice guys don’t do that
I truly like Ratten and hope he makes it …I’m not sold though
And I’d now insist they’ve made the decision that a hard headed footy brain is brought in to oversee football management
Choco would be good
Lyon would simply challenge too many and I get the feel the top tier here don’t like being challenged..
But it’s that kinda bold move that could take us forward

“Yeah….nah””
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sat 09 Jul 2022 4:35am
Totally agree

:wink: :wink:

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sat 09 Jul 2022 11:54am
Totally agree
Problem with that is wheels fell off over the last month and we now miss finals after being 8-3 and most objective footy pundits will tell you lost wise we are in no man’s land
Apart from King zero stars and certainly none in the midfield (Steele solid A not match winner)
Sprinkling of good kids
And I’d now insist they’ve made the decision that a hard headed footy brain is brought in to oversee football management
Choco would be good
Lyon would simply challenge too many and I get the feel the top tier here don’t like being challenged..
Lyon? What a f****** joke even mentioning that washed up has been. :roll:

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sat 09 Jul 2022 11:54am
Totally agree
Sprinkling of good kids
Choco would be good
Yep

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

As I mentioned earlier, we are tracking in line with the quality of the playing list. Are we the best list in the comp? Are we the 5th best list in the comp? Are we the 6th best list on the comp?

The answer is no. Our list would rank somewhere between 7th and 10th at this moment, and that's the bracket we currently sit in on the ladder.

Ratten got us into the finals in 2020 with a similar quality list

2021 was a disaster because of fitness guy failed and we got a ton of injuries, just like Richmond, and both teams tumbled down the ladder

In 2022 we've had a couple of shockers, but I'll point out that the Swans lost to Essendon, too. The haters forget that we trounced Richmond, we beat Geelong in an impressive display, and we beat Fremantle on their own turf.

There are posters on here who's only focus is to slam the club and everyone associated with it.

We are not a top four team. That's the reality. With the improvement of players like NWM, Owens, Windhager, and King, and the recruitment of two or three more quality players via free agency and the draft, we might get there in the next year or two.

There is no reason to ditch Ratten. Absolutely none.

And please, don't whine about Clarko the messiah. There is no guarantee he'll do better. How did the Messiah Mick Malthouse do when he took over from Ratten at Carlton?

If your playing list is ranked outside the top 6, the chances of winning the big one is remote even with the greatest coach in the world. It's rarely been done.

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

Hard to know without close understanding of the inner workings of the team and club how Ratts is performing.

Outwardly I am not a fan, he does not come across as articulate or a tactical genius, but seems to have player buy in and trust.

I can’t say I’d have rushed to sign him as I doubt he was flush with other offers, but I will always lean toward stability over change.

Hopefully he builds the right team around him and the improvement follows.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
Sanctorum
Club Player

cwrcyn wrote: Sat 09 Jul 2022 12:15pm As I mentioned earlier, we are tracking in line with the quality of the playing list. Are we the best list in the comp? Are we the 5th best list in the comp? Are we the 6th best list on the comp?

The answer is no. Our list would rank somewhere between 7th and 10th at this moment, and that's the bracket we currently sit in on the ladder.

2021 was a disaster because of fitness guy failed and we got a ton of injuries, just like Richmond, and both teams tumbled down the ladder

In 2022 we've had a couple of shockers, but I'll point out that the Swans lost to Essendon, too. The haters forget that we trounced Richmond, we beat Geelong in an impressive display, and we beat Fremantle on their own turf.

There are posters on here who's only focus is to slam the club and everyone associated with it.

We are not a top four team. That's the reality. With the improvement of players like NWM, Owens, Windhager, and King, and the recruitment of two or three more quality players via free agency and the draft, we might get there in the next year or two.

And please, don't whine about Clarko the messiah. There is no guarantee he'll do better. How did the Messiah Mick Malthouse do when he took over from Ratten at Carlton?

If your playing list is ranked outside the top 6, the chances of winning the big one is remote even with the greatest coach in the world. It's rarely been done.
Well said cwrcyn, the St Kilda list simply does not come within a bull's roar of the top teams this year and it is only through further development of the aforementioned young guns and the addition of a couple of experienced elite mids that the Saints will become a serious contender. In that context, the team has overall performed better than the list suggests would be possible.

I also believe that the club would most certainly have put out feelers to Alastair Clarkson and it may well be that because he and Ratten are mates Clarko declined.

I find it interesting that so many supporters lay the blame for poor effort by the players on Brett Ratten - I feel sure that if you were to privately ask players that respect their coach, as has been asserted is the case at St Kilda, they would accept full responsibility themselves. It's not Ratten (or any coach) that instructs players to bomb the ball into attack, it is what has happened in almost all the games of footy that I have watched this year - how the ball is delivered into the forward lines is all about skills and teamwork. The way Geelong managed to out-pressure Melbourne on Thursday night showed exactly how to go about winning a game of football against the best team and flag favourite in the comp. That's also how St Kilda has managed to beat better qualified teams this year - relentless pressure on the player with the ball!

"To do good is noble. To tell others to do good is even nobler and much less trouble.."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
DJ Higgins
Club Player

Very middle of the road decision to keep ratts and I am neither happy or sad about it. Now it’s done with focus is back on the team and it’s success. Personally I don’t rate him as a strategic coach and his game plan is poor. Kick it to king. Now do that regardless of what the opposition does. Some players are improving and others are staying the same so that is expected and we may play finals so that’s good even if we are making up numbers. Like is said it’s very meyah

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Sat 09 Jul 2022 12:15pm As I mentioned earlier, we are tracking in line with the quality of the playing list. Are we the best list in the comp? Are we the 5th best list in the comp? Are we the 6th best list on the comp?

Sorry utter cop out
The club recruited Ryder Jones Higgins Wood Crouch Howard et al and have been building this list with that intent in mind for some time
Ratten has been there 3 years snd before that part of Richo campaign
The club actually messaged members stating “window opening soon”
Now the list all of a sudden is 7-10????
6 years under Richo
3 years under Ratten
Almost a decade and the best the list is at is 7-10???
And we extend a guy mid season who has been part of building that for 9 years ???
Geezus this clubs supporters have zero to low expectations
Would be eaten alive at truly successful organisations

“Yeah….nah””