The players played for the coach

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

The players played for the coach

Backs were to the wall
Season under the pump
Every expert in town had written us off

But we came out to play from the first bounce and I reckon that had a lot to do with the coach and the players respect for him (and each other)

A great win

#1 Ryder fan
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Re: The players played for the coach

I thought Ratts coached superbly last night, firstly with the tweaks to the game plan that worked really well early by playing King as the decoy and giving our other forwards freedom. Secondly, and this has nothing to do with anything but I loved how he came down to the bench in the last 10 minutes. The players absolutely love the guy and believe in what he's doing, that much is incredibly clear...even when we lose.

Speaking of losers, can you believe we had a real small group of pea hearted supporters, with similar sized brains actually call for Ratts to be sacked this past week. It would be great for them to pop up today and continue that call, but I doubt we'll be hearing from them until we lose again.

A famous victory last night folks. Still punching!

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Vortex wrote: Sat 02 Jul 2022 8:44am I thought Ratts coached superbly last night, firstly with the tweaks to the game plan that worked really well early by playing King as the decoy and giving our other forwards freedom. Secondly, and this has nothing to do with anything but I loved how he came down to the bench in the last 10 minutes. The players absolutely love the guy and believe in what he's doing, that much is incredibly clear...even when we lose.

Speaking of losers, can you believe we had a real small group of pea hearted supporters, with similar sized brains actually call for Ratts to be sacked this past week. It would be great for them to pop up today and continue that call, but I doubt we'll be hearing from them until we lose again.

Thrilled with the win and I agree that the boys played for the coach but that doesn't mean Ratts is going to win us a premiership.

The genius move of not kicking exclusively to King was being called for by pundits weeks ago.

Plus we played with a passion that sadly had been missing since the bye.

Will be doubly delighted if we make the finals but I suspect we'll fall short, which shouldn't happen when a team is 8-3.

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Sat 02 Jul 2022 8:44am I thought Ratts coached superbly last night, firstly with the tweaks to the game plan that worked really well early by playing King as the decoy and giving our other forwards freedom. Secondly, and this has nothing to do with anything but I loved how he came down to the bench in the last 10 minutes. The players absolutely love the guy and believe in what he's doing, that much is incredibly clear...even when we lose.

The role reversal of Ryder predominantly forward and Ro rucking worked very well.

Ryder leads so well at the kicker and Ro is so superior around the ground.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

D.B.Cooper wrote: Sat 02 Jul 2022 9:02am

The role reversal of Ryder predominantly forward and Ro rucking worked very well.

Ryder leads so well at the kicker and Ro is so superior around the ground.
I actually get quite sad when I think about our team without Paddy. I cherish and savour watching every minute he plays.
He's just the heart and soul of this group. He can't be replaced.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Waltzing St Kilda wrote: Sat 02 Jul 2022 9:01am

Thrilled with the win and I agree that the boys played for the coach but that doesn't mean Ratts is going to win us a premiership.

The genius move of not kicking exclusively to King was being called for by pundits weeks ago.

Will be doubly delighted if we make the finals but I suspect we'll fall short, which shouldn't happen when a team is 8-3.
The voice of reason
1 backs to the wall win where it 3 pathetic efforts and a media storm to generate it and some cheerleader supporters shoot their bolt??? “we are back!” They claim and all problems solved!
Perspective: Carlton finished with 10.18
Curnow kicked 1.4
They had 5-7 of their best out and no backline ???
Still won contested possession and looked far more potent entering forward 50
They are much closer to a flag than we are
A gutsy win by the club absolutely but FFS can some keep it real????
We have massive list holes to fix and a game plan that doesn’t stack up against the best when they have their full compliment and bring the heat
No wonder we have 1 flag and little sustained success when supporters shoot their bolt off the back of 1 win…says a lot.

“Yeah….nah””
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

FFS Teflon!

Yes, Carlton with all its top players available would undoubtedly be a stronger team than we could field. Funny that, makes you wonder why anyone would think that our main problem is our coach (along with, of course, our failure to select superstar Sharman for every game).

The Carlton midfield is fabulous, although in every game I've seen them play recently (including last night), one of their key tactics (which looks to my eye to be coached into them) is to dispose of the ball at all costs - often incorrectly. Unfortunately, the umpires have so far been giving them far too much latitude with this. If the AFL, as it usually does, eventually decides to clamp down on this unfair tactic, then oppositions might have a bit more chance of slowing down their frenetic attack on the ball. TBH, I was far more concerned about this flaw in the umpiring than I was with the lopsided free kick count.

Anyway, last night was a terrific performance because we won after looking like we would be run over several times. Many AFL premiership sides over the years have not been the most technically gifted or had the most amazing coaching tactics, but they've kept on beating other top teams by sheer force "of will: you know, the old "champion team will always beat a team of champions" thing. Last night's performance had that quality about it. So kindly take your Ebenezer Scrooge "bah humbug" attitude somewhere else. Perhaps you could call up your old mate GT. and have a chat about it

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Better than I could have said it. :wink: :wink: 8-)

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sat 02 Jul 2022 9:44am

The voice of reason
1 backs to the wall win where it 3 pathetic efforts and a media storm to generate it and some cheerleader supporters shoot their bolt??? “we are back!” They claim and all problems solved!
Curnow kicked 1.4
We have massive list holes to fix and a game plan that doesn’t stack up against the best when they have their full compliment and bring the heat
No wonder we have 1 flag and little sustained success when supporters shoot their bolt off the back of 1 win…says a lot.
You seem to have an obsession with masturbation and ejaculation. I wonder why.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote: Sat 02 Jul 2022 11:52am FFS Teflon!

Yes, Carlton with all its top players available would undoubtedly be a stronger team than we could field. Funny that, makes you wonder why anyone would think that our main problem is our coach (along with, of course, our failure to select superstar Sharman for every game).

The Carlton midfield is fabulous, although in every game I've seen them play recently (including last night), one of their key tactics (which looks to my eye to be coached into them) is to dispose of the ball at all costs - often incorrectly. Unfortunately, the umpires have so far been giving them far too much latitude with this. If the AFL, as it usually does, eventually decides to clamp down on this unfair tactic, then oppositions might have a bit more chance of slowing down their frenetic attack on the ball. TBH, I was far more concerned about this flaw in the umpiring than I was with the lopsided free kick count.

Anyway, last night was a terrific performance because we won after looking like we would be run over several times. Many AFL premiership sides over the years have not been the most technically gifted or had the most amazing coaching tactics, but they've kept on beating other top teams by sheer force "of will: you know, the old "champion team will always beat a team of champions" thing. Last night's performance had that quality about it. So kindly take your Ebenezer Scrooge "bah humbug" attitude somewhere else. Perhaps you could call up your old mate GT. and have a chat about it
" So kindly take your Ebenezer Scrooge "bah humbug" attitude somewhere else".

f***, I love that line. :D :) 8-) :lol: :wink:

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

There's no doubt that the list still needs improvement, but apart from Ryder were not relying on a bunch of thirty something's to drag us over the line each week.

Yes. We still have holes. That's not exactly breaking news. We all know it. But a win like that shows that we're on the right track.

Right now we're placed exactly where we should be given the quality of our list. Around 7th on the ladder.

It's no reason not to celebrate a gutsy win following a couple of horrid weeks and to attack the coach

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sat 02 Jul 2022 12:05pm
Teflon wrote: Sat 02 Jul 2022 9:44am

The voice of reason
Curnow kicked 1.4
You seem to have an obsession with masturbation and ejaculation. I wonder why.
I keep a picture of you beside the bed - perhaps I should take it down ….too tempting??

“Yeah….nah””
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I don’t get this

Is the implication that they didn’t play for the coach last week?

What I’m reading is essentially, psychologically driven or otherwise they brought an effort in this week that wasn’t there before.

Is that it or have I missed something

I mean a month ago… I expected to win this game outright and was confident that we would.
Disappointed that we lost to Brisbane but an acceptable loss in the circumstances and last week was a stinker.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote: Sat 02 Jul 2022 11:52am FFS Teflon!

Mehebabblelot I won’t profess to reading most of your inane drivel cause it’s always the same old Shyte
“The club are great how dare anyone question what they do…total heresy …blah blah blah ” utter BS
The reason you don’t like hearing FACTS about our wins is because it challenges your perception “the club know best”
Your next ingenious footballing reveal is now “ohhh but you wait till the umps catch up with those nasty Carlton mids”
How stupid??
Carlton have a very good midfield- an excellent mix of top end stars and kids coming through. Seb Ross wouldn’t get a look in there.
And your other drivel - apparently now we are a “champion team beating up on teams of champions …”
Problem with that theory is the last 3 weeks body of evidence again doesn’t support your Shyte thinking.
It’s ok to enjoy a win - I loved sitting with my Blues mates last night (at the game) and being smugly magnanimous ..
It doesn’t mean I stick my head so far up my own ass (or Vortex as some prefer to call it…) that I’m absolutely deluded on where we are at????
I’m not really interested in beating Carlton, having my 1 good win for the year and missing finals - waste of time
If that excites you I think that’s sad and just more example of how success starved this club is
The transition issues - evident to all at the gane last night haven’t disappeared
The forward 50 bombing and lack of cohesion hasn’t gone away - you can hide under your bed screaming “we won we won” all you like that won’t change reality.
FFS - it’s not hard to enjoy a win but keep it in perspective of what we are trying to do long term - I can’t believe some are so stupid?
We beat Carlton last night with workmanlike effort - it’s wonderful but it’s not enough on its own to be a genuine contender (which 3 weeks ago at 8-3 some were saying we were…)
We got lucky (like against Brisbane too) that the Blues missed some howlers - they took a lot of grabs inside 50
We also got lucky that their backline is decimated
Still a good win but FFS keep it real
I’m surprised you haven’t brought a t-shirt or released a 1 game winning streak box set….

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sat 02 Jul 2022 12:41pm I don’t get this

What I’m reading is essentially, psychologically driven or otherwise they brought an effort in this week that wasn’t there before.

I mean a month ago… I expected to win this game outright and was confident that we would.
Disappointed that we lost to Brisbane but an acceptable loss in the circumstances and last week was a stinker.
Correct
This in itself is damning - we pick and choose when to play for the coach ?????
Rubbish
The effort was there last night (and against Swans to a large degree)
The coaching move of King up the ground was an excellent decision
But our glaring deficiencies around transition and into 50 are still there and make no mistake they’ll be back when sides put extra work into Sinclair so he can’t have 37
This “hearts n mind” crap is just 1960s thinking - the game is professional
The players are paid to do a job - the cos Jong staff instill the belief in them that they have a system that stands up under pressure, allows players to play to their strengths abd maybe gives them the best chance to play in a GF
Playing “for the coach” and emotion like that wouldn’t even make it out of the change rooms once they hit the field
It’s about execution, knowing your role and playing as a system - Swans picked us apart last week doing exactly that.
Last edited by Teflon on Sat 02 Jul 2022 1:01pm, edited 1 time in total.

“Yeah….nah””
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Oh you miss a lot, it could be explained to you but when you are anchored to false narratives with a stubborn mindset it becomes a pointless conversation. Just sad that you can't find a positive for gutsy win.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sat 02 Jul 2022 1:00pm

Oh you miss a lot, it could be explained to you but when you are anchored to false narratives with a stubborn mindset it becomes a pointless conversation. Just sad that you can't find a positive for gutsy win.
OR

He sees through your “ra ra BS” and doesn’t agree with it you mean ???
You’re not very good when others disagree with you I note…could be a childhood thing ..
Do school us all oh great Yoda ….we can’t wait !
Last edited by Teflon on Sat 02 Jul 2022 1:03pm, edited 1 time in total.

“Yeah….nah””
asiu
Saintsational Legend

:D

i do agree
that attack is the best defence

ahhhhhhhhhhh
... a top morning on SS today

what a laugh it all is

i'm 4 hours late for work
... have big fun peoples of the board

Go Sainters

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

asiu wrote: Sat 02 Jul 2022 1:03pm :D

i do agree
that attack is the best defence

ahhhhhhhhhhh
... a top morning on SS today

what a laugh it all is

i'm 4 hours late for work
... have big fun peoples of the board

Go Sainters
Never take a backward step asiu !

“Yeah….nah””
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sat 02 Jul 2022 1:00pm

Correct
Rubbish
But our glaring deficiencies around transition and into 50 are still there and make no mistake they’ll be back when sides put extra work into Sinclair so he can’t have 37
The players are paid to do a job - the cos Jong staff instill the belief in them that they have a system that stands up under pressure, allows players to play to their strengths abd maybe gives them the best chance to play in a GF
Playing “for the coach” and emotion like that wouldn’t even make it out of the change rooms once they hit the field
It’s about execution, knowing your role and playing as a system - Swans picked us apart last week doing exactly that.
This victory stings huh.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sat 02 Jul 2022 1:02pm

OR

You’re not very good when others disagree with you I note…could be a childhood thing ..
It's really sad watching you have a meltdown like this Teffers, I told you brother, they will lose again so don't write them off yet.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sat 02 Jul 2022 1:05pm
Teflon wrote: Sat 02 Jul 2022 1:00pm

Correct
Rubbish
This victory stings huh.
I love a win but just because I’m not as easy impressed as you doesn’t mean I’m cartwheeling ..
I’ll love a win even more when Sharman is back in!

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sat 02 Jul 2022 1:07pm

OR

It's really sad watching you have a meltdown like this Teffers, I told you brother, they will lose again so don't write them off yet.
Ahh Vort …I do like your fascination with me (and apologies if I hurt your soft feelings along the way ..) but you’re going to have to do better than lame “brother” lines if you want to land a blow….been around longer than that
I know we’ll have another loss
I know where we are at - good win last night and all
You’re problem is going to come when we do lose and your whipping boy Sharman isn’t in the side….
What then:
“Players stopped playing for the coach”??
LMAO

“Yeah….nah””
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sat 02 Jul 2022 1:29pm
Vortex wrote: Sat 02 Jul 2022 1:07pm

OR

Ahh Vort …I do like your fascination with me (and apologies if I hurt your soft feelings along the way ..) but you’re going to have to do better than lame “brother” lines if you want to land a blow….been around longer than that
I know we’ll have another loss
I know where we are at - good win last night and all
You’re problem is going to come when we do lose and your whipping boy Sharman isn’t in the side….
What then:
“Players stopped playing for the coach”??
LMAO
I know you know where we are at, it's sack the board, sack the coach, sack the football department, sack the recruiters, start again...is that it brother.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

With all due respect Vortex, I have not been particularly vocal about Rats one way or the other nor have i been anchored into a view.

I was disappointed with how the Sharman situation played out but I haven’t called for anyone to be sacked, or Clarko to be called etc

I would say if anything that you’re more anchored into a view because you’re letting selective performances inform your opinion. I merely asked a question about the OP narrative about the players playing for the coach…

Personally I think that’s a false narrative and hope it to be so.

I assume that this week, the club was simply better prepared to execute the plan… heck maybe the team was more balanced or the players that came in were more vital. Whatever.

If it was a question of effort however, that to me would be a worrying sign.