We have struggled since Hayes injury.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Re: We have struggled since Hayes injury.

meher baba wrote: Tue 10 May 2022 2:16pm I might add that I thought that, so far this season, our team structure looked at its absolute best against the Hawks, in which game Hayes didn't play.
The Hawks should avoid the wooden spoon this year thanks to North. They played as to be expected in the first 6 weeks of the season when a new coach takes over and the comp is taking a few weeks to pick apart the new game plan.

I think at that stage even Ratts would have been going through a process of what works best with regards to the question of team balance and height which possibly was not a resource available to him prior to R1. Did Hayes R1 game provided an option beyond backup player and it was just a matter of settling the team down to a taller forward structure.

One with Hayes and not Sharman.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote: Tue 10 May 2022 2:13pm
Vortex wrote: Tue 10 May 2022 10:13am
perfectionist wrote: Sun 08 May 2022 7:47pm I think it is a fair point. Jack Hayes was a bit of revelation. A really good pick. He may not have been a star, but he didn't make mistakes. He made opponents earn contested marks. He could not be easily moved aside. And, he is a leader - that is invaluable.
You've nailed it. There is no delusion at all, he played a role our team desperately misses Could take contested Marks and convert the opportunity. Absolutely he isn't a star but I think a taller, stronger AND more aggressive forward line is a better structure for this list we currently have. Our midfield system into F50 seemed to work better with said structure also.
It is pretty clear that the club didn't consider him to be in the top 22. He was selected for the first two games of the season to replace the injured Ryder. The club tried playing Ryder, Marshall and Hayes in one game and then decided it was too many talls, so he was omitted from the 22 for the next game. Then Ryder was suspended, and he played two more games.

We certainly missed him against Port, where he would have been able to fill in for Marshall instead of Campbell. If he hadn't gotten injured, he most likely would have been medical sub again against the Demons.

If Ryder and Marshall are fit, he wouldn't displace either of them. And I don't think playing him in the forward line alongside King and Membrey can work. King and Membrey are better players than him, so he also can't displace either of them.

He's a terrific utlity player, capable of playing ruck and forward and, I would suspect, would go ok down back as well. He gave us great depth in those areas, which we'll miss. But, if we were playing in a final and had all of our top KPPs fit, he wouldn't be in the team.
Membrey’s a good forward, but he’s more your third banana. Lacks the physicality of a Marshall or Hayes. Plus, as mentioned elsewhere Membrey’s been given a licence to roam.

That means that if either Marshall or Ryder is missing, King is covered by two or three opponents.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: Tue 10 May 2022 6:05pm
meher baba wrote: Tue 10 May 2022 2:13pm
Vortex wrote: Tue 10 May 2022 10:13am
perfectionist wrote: Sun 08 May 2022 7:47pm I think it is a fair point. Jack Hayes was a bit of revelation. A really good pick. He may not have been a star, but he didn't make mistakes. He made opponents earn contested marks. He could not be easily moved aside. And, he is a leader - that is invaluable.
You've nailed it. There is no delusion at all, he played a role our team desperately misses Could take contested Marks and convert the opportunity. Absolutely he isn't a star but I think a taller, stronger AND more aggressive forward line is a better structure for this list we currently have. Our midfield system into F50 seemed to work better with said structure also.
It is pretty clear that the club didn't consider him to be in the top 22. He was selected for the first two games of the season to replace the injured Ryder. The club tried playing Ryder, Marshall and Hayes in one game and then decided it was too many talls, so he was omitted from the 22 for the next game. Then Ryder was suspended, and he played two more games.

We certainly missed him against Port, where he would have been able to fill in for Marshall instead of Campbell. If he hadn't gotten injured, he most likely would have been medical sub again against the Demons.

If Ryder and Marshall are fit, he wouldn't displace either of them. And I don't think playing him in the forward line alongside King and Membrey can work. King and Membrey are better players than him, so he also can't displace either of them.

He's a terrific utlity player, capable of playing ruck and forward and, I would suspect, would go ok down back as well. He gave us great depth in those areas, which we'll miss. But, if we were playing in a final and had all of our top KPPs fit, he wouldn't be in the team.
Membrey’s a good forward, but he’s more your third banana. Lacks the physicality of a Marshall or Hayes. Plus, as mentioned elsewhere Membrey’s been given a licence to roam.

That means that if either Marshall or Ryder is missing, King is covered by two or three opponents.
Maybe we need another AFL quality tall forward to take the heat off King, not sure where you find an affordable one of them.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Wayne42 says we need another KPP fwd...
Anyone worth chasing would already be in the system.
Just gotta hope Sharman comes good

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Tue 10 May 2022 7:54pm Just gotta hope Sharman comes good
He’s next up, you’d think. But has he done enough at VFL level this year?

SunnyErnie
Club Player

bigcarl wrote: Tue 10 May 2022 8:28pm
He should have been in the senior team from round 1 instead of languishing at Sandy

St Kilda should never trade with Essendon and Sydney ever again!!!

NeXus
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

SunnyErnie wrote: Thu 12 May 2022 10:52pm
bigcarl wrote: Tue 10 May 2022 8:28pm
He should have been in the senior team from round 1 instead of languishing at Sandy
Well he has his chance now. Let's hope he takes it. We need a spark

Yallingupsaints
Club Player

Hoping Sharman can fill the shoes of Hayes going forward. A forward line of Sharman, Membrey, Max and Marshall/Ryder will create headaches for opposition teams. I like it