Umpires killed us in the first half

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Re: Umpires killed us in the first half

CURLY wrote: Mon 09 May 2022 10:43am
kosifantutti wrote: Mon 09 May 2022 10:38am How is it that Seb Ross rushes a kick under pressure, it goes 40m forward and dribbles out of bounce, has a free kick paid against him.

Max Gawn gets tackled by Jack Steele and just decides I won't try to get rid of it, I'll just take five steps and walk across the boundary line and drop it. No problem Max, we'll just throw that one in if it's OK with you.
Our players are the best kicks in the AFL. When the ball goes out of bounds after we kick it no matter the pressure or what foot we mean it.
I knew you’d stick up for the umpires.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote: Mon 09 May 2022 10:56am
CURLY wrote: Mon 09 May 2022 10:43am
kosifantutti wrote: Mon 09 May 2022 10:38am How is it that Seb Ross rushes a kick under pressure, it goes 40m forward and dribbles out of bounce, has a free kick paid against him.

Max Gawn gets tackled by Jack Steele and just decides I won't try to get rid of it, I'll just take five steps and walk across the boundary line and drop it. No problem Max, we'll just throw that one in if it's OK with you.
Our players are the best kicks in the AFL. When the ball goes out of bounds after we kick it no matter the pressure or what foot we mean it.
I knew you’d stick up for the umpires.
Think we had 5-6 in the slop at Cairns. We are elite by foot.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
saintkev
Club Player

Stagnant play and somnambulism killed us in the first half.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

saintkev wrote: Mon 09 May 2022 12:54pm Stagnant play and somnambulism killed us in the first half.
Let's hope someone sets the alarm clock just prior to next week's game.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
D.B.Cooper
Club Player

saintkev wrote: Mon 09 May 2022 12:54pm Stagnant play and somnambulism killed us in the first half.
With no disrespect to the Saintsational crew, I can't recall utilization of a word I had to Google on here for some time.

Nice work!

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
George27
Club Player

D.B.Cooper wrote: Mon 09 May 2022 6:32pm
With no disrespect to the Saintsational crew, I can't recall utilization of a word I had to Google on here for some time.

Nice work!
In that vein I think it fair to say the umpires discombobulated our players

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Speaking of favourite umpires :lol:

What's happened to Razor Ray, he hasn't umpired the last few weeks ?

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

The umpires picked up the vibe. We were not tough enough/ruthless in the contest as Dees early and the umps rode the wave when they blitzed us. IMO you need to show the umps you have serious intent and make the other side earn the frees (see Selwood/Dangerfield playbook, under confected outrage*, what was that decision for, and don't you know who I am). Of course you cannot show dissent any more but you can verbal the opposition when they get "unfair" frees and umps have ears - apparently one of the senses they can retain while losing sound judgement.

That last goal against us when Brad was pinged was poor umpiring. He explained to the "Sir" I didn't have it so politely - and he never took possession, was tackled illegally. I think the umpire agreed later but it was a mind set pattern: give the top side the free, Brad is often caught and I don't feel like bouncing it again. Game's gone anyway. Apology? Tell 'em they're dreaming.

* not to be confused with dissent. Its a facial expression and resigned but actually unaccepting body language. Eye rolling often features for effect. The open mouth, shocked I tell you, me sir? look of Hawkings while standing over a bloodied opponent is another example.