The last goal for Port

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

The last goal for Port

This ball was clearly not on the full. It hits Ryder’s foot goes into the ground and out of bounds.

Instead of a throw in on the wing they get a clear entry inside 50 which we can’t clear and 15 seconds later Marshall takes the mark.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

Re: The last goal for Port

Whilst you may be correct the issue lies in the bottom left of this pic.
You CANNOT kick 4.14 (4.18) and expect to win.

There were some umpire decisions that went against us but the reason we lost is 4.18, nothing else.

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

IluvHarvey wrote: Tue 03 May 2022 4:27pm Whilst you may be correct the issue lies in the bottom left of this pic.

There were some umpire decisions that went against us but the reason we lost is 4.18, nothing else.
I’m not maybe correct. I’m correct.

And you can expect to win with 4.18 if your opponents score 4.13.

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

kosifantutti wrote: Tue 03 May 2022 4:54pm
IluvHarvey wrote: Tue 03 May 2022 4:27pm Whilst you may be correct the issue lies in the bottom left of this pic.

Ok you are correct with the incorrect call.

However, never should you kick 4.18 and expect to win. That is not good enough by any standards.
We lost this game with goal kicking nothing else.

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Are you thinking re match Kosi

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Tue 03 May 2022 5:03pm Are you thinking re match Kosi
In Port Douglas.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote: Tue 03 May 2022 4:13pm This ball was clearly not on the full. It hits Ryder’s foot goes into the ground and out of bounds.

Instead of a throw in on the wing they get a clear entry inside 50 which we can’t clear and 15 seconds later Marshall takes the mark.

And because of the new 'dissent' rule you cannot argue your case for fear of being pinged with a 50m penalty.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote: Tue 03 May 2022 5:09pm
Vortex wrote: Tue 03 May 2022 5:03pm Are you thinking re match Kosi
In Port Douglas.
During the dry season or would you stick with this current innovation of playing a game after 750mm of rain has fallen?

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

IluvHarvey wrote: Tue 03 May 2022 5:03pm

However, never should you kick 4.18 and expect to win. That is not good enough by any standards.
The goal kicking was ok. The 18 behinds didn't help. Lol

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

I love how people go on about the goal kicking. Its like Port Adelaide kicked 6 straight or something. Those types of conditions make skill levels drop and even the best players can look like amatuers.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
D.B.Cooper
Club Player

kosifantutti wrote: Tue 03 May 2022 4:13pm This ball was clearly not on the full. It hits Ryder’s foot goes into the ground and out of bounds.

Very good eyes, would never have picked that up live.
The ball clearly cannons into the ground off Paddy's left foot but does it hit his right shin as it bounces up and goes over the line?
The spinning motion appears to alter as it passes his right shin.
Is the shin still deemed a kick, pretty sure it is on goal?
Paddy looks disappointed, is this due to the call or knowing it was on the full?

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

IluvHarvey wrote: Tue 03 May 2022 5:03pm

Anything in the rule book to support your comment? Or are you still just peeved that we lost by one lousy point?

Saint supporter since '62
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Annoying.

I’d prefer not to know as what’s done is done.

Reminds me of something else. It rings a bell but I just can’t place a finger on it. 🤔

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

In 2020 we beat Port with the most accurate winning score of all time -- 12.1.

I was rather hoping that this time we might beat them with the most innacrate winning score of all time.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Firstly...great pick up kosi. It was one of the baffling things that cost us in the second half

One of the biggest issues in my opinion (and in the opinion of many people who want solutions to some of the issues in modern day footy) is the free kick count. Hear me out please.

I heard a caller to SEN on radio this morning who came up with a really good idea.

Tim and Garry were discussing umpiring issues and umpires in general (including the problems with recruiting and retaining umpires at all levels) and this bloke reckons they should get rid of the free kick count and it could even be an AFL rule to restrict the broadcasters from making the free kick count public during the game. Only release the free kick stats at the end of the game. He said that people somehow get the impression that their team is being hard done by when they get less frees (hi to CURLY 8-) )...

How many times have we seen in games where one team seems to be getting a few extra frees and some luck going their way for a few quarters and then miraculously the umps turns things around and they try and even things up. I've seen it happen so many times with dubious frees and also they let things go and don't pay obvious frees to the team who is way ahead because of more frees paid to them earlier in the game.

Maybe they do it just to appease the one eyed fans who somehow think that free kicks have to be even or close to even in every game or...Is there real or implied pressure to do this and somehow finish with a close free kick count by the end? Maybe there is some direction from their bosses or instruction at half time to ease up on paying frees to the side who is way ahead? They shouldn't know who is ahead at half time and neither should the public

Now let's look at our match specifically from Saturday night. We got the rub of the green in the first half right? Every one agrees... but ...what happened in the second half...as usual the umps somehow started paying dubious calls to Port and also let a few frees go that we should have probably earned. This particular incident that kosifantutti has highlighted should have been a throw in when it wasn't something that was obvious and wasn't a 'clear' kick out on the full

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

D.B.Cooper wrote: Tue 03 May 2022 7:02pm

The ball clearly cannons into the ground off Paddy's left foot but does it hit his right shin as it bounces up and goes over the line?
Paddy looks disappointed, is this due to the call or knowing it was on the full?
I’d say it’s unlikely that it hits his right shin. It seems to head towards the boundary off his left foot which would take it away from his right leg. I’ve been rock and rolling my video and when it comes off his foot and bounces off the ground it has a crazy spin which in my opinion doesn’t change when it goes past his leg.

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

kosifantutti wrote: Tue 03 May 2022 9:59pm

I’d say it’s unlikely that it hits his right shin. It seems to head towards the boundary off his left foot which would take it away from his right leg. I’ve been rock and rolling my video and when it comes off his foot and bounces off the ground it has a crazy spin which in my opinion doesn’t change when it goes past his leg.
We can go with BLATANT CHEATING then! :lol:
Seriously good pick up.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote: Tue 03 May 2022 9:59pm

Wood - who is in a better position than I am - indicated that it hit the ground before going out - would need a better angle - but hey - lets guess!!!!
(It's not like that decision or the Steele 50 could change the outcome of the game - which we should have iced anyway - but 9.31 shows what a fantastic spectacle Cairns was)

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Port's first goal came from a ball that was well out of bounds too.

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

Here’s a pretty famous OOB non decision.
Video features a couple of Saint player/ coaches.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

I blame the umps for not going to the slow-mo replay before making the decision!

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Wed 04 May 2022 10:05am I blame the umps for not going to the slow-mo replay before making the decision!
I blame them for guessing.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Wed 04 May 2022 10:09am
The_Dud wrote: Wed 04 May 2022 10:05am I blame the umps for not going to the slow-mo replay before making the decision!
I blame them for guessing.
I can cop a non decision for a ball going out of bounds and play on called - I CANNOT cop a guess at Out on the Full

If an umpire makes an error in not calling a 50/50 I am happy to let the game determine the outcome - what I do not like is guessing a 50/50 and getting it wrong

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!