Langdon or Hill

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: Langdon or Hill

Hill was expensive yes (in part we paid overs as no Big Fish wanted to join us at that time), but one dividend was that it also helped us to gain Ryder, and has also most likely helped Ryder to resurrect his career with us.

https://www.saints.com.au/news/1002306/ ... 20together.

If we had gone for Langdon instead, would we still have gained Ryder? Quite possibly not. If he had still come, would Ryder have settled in so well? Quite possibly not.

Also many have railed against picking up players with poor disposal. Well Langdon at that time was not known for good disposal.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

With any of the draft/ trade decisions you have to go with what was reasonable when that deal/pick was made.

At the time Hill was a good pick up, though arguably we paid overs. However you often have to pay overs to get a good player.

So it is one reason I am ok with the Billings pick. At the time it was a reasonable pick.

Whereas like many at the time with Paddy I thought Petracca was the obvious pick. And then when you heard the stories of Trout thinking that he was too arrogant at the interview you wonder about the ability of the person making the call.

The issue with Hill now is making the most of his talents of being a good ball user if not pressured, and his running ability. He is a purely an outside player and so we have to get him in back in a role where we make the most of that. HBF worked well for a while, but opposition coaches area wake up to him there now.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
happy feet
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Sat 09 Apr 2022 12:58am I hope this makes us all feel a little bit better about the Hill move.

It certainly made me feel better this week after being in iso with Covid. Ol mate Ross the Boss came out with something I wasn’t aware of (and not many people would be). He said on Wednesday’s Classified show that the person who was Ed’s mentor and the person who Ed trained with at Fremantle and the player he tried to emulate at Freo was Brad Hill.

I have always been a big rap for coaches and footy department people who look beyond the short term. If Brad can help inspire and motivate some of our rookies or a guy like NWM or Windy or Mitch then we made the right choice. Maybe we might end up with 2 or 3 Ed Langdon types.

I have called many people apologists when they’ve come on here and defended what I believed to be poor decisions, but I can see a little clearer now that the intent and the motivation and the goal of the club with bringing in Brad Hill at the same time as Ryder and Jones and others was to fill gaps created by consecutive staff who were quite poor at their jobs, and maybe a very poor coaching and football development team.

The membership numbers in 2019 were a direct result of incompetent people and poor management over several years. There needed to be some swift solutions to make us competitive or we risked alienating too many supporters and sponsors.

They made necessary and smart business decisions to make us competitive but I was not happy that they went hard 3 years running and over estimated the benefits to be had by bringing in old and/or second rate B grade players. The fact that we went back to the draft and back to regenerating for the long term, they have redeemed themselves in my book

This is going to sound weird coming from me, because I have been really tough on Brad, but maybe I wasn’t looking at the big picture. Our recruitment decisions and our focus on young talent recently is going to pay dividends while we have people like Brad Hill at the club.
Very well said Scallop, in fact it’s one of the best posts I have read in along time. If you want success you recruit talent AND quality people. I think there were unrealistic expectations of Brad Hill on the field. I believe he will come good. What we don’t see is what he does behind the scenes.

People on here want to chase DeGoey. Sure he has talent, but is he a quality person?

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

happy feet wrote: Sat 09 Apr 2022 4:28pm
Scollop wrote: Sat 09 Apr 2022 12:58am I hope this makes us all feel a little bit better about the Hill move.

It certainly made me feel better this week after being in iso with Covid. Ol mate Ross the Boss came out with something I wasn’t aware of (and not many people would be). He said on Wednesday’s Classified show that the person who was Ed’s mentor and the person who Ed trained with at Fremantle and the player he tried to emulate at Freo was Brad Hill.

I have always been a big rap for coaches and footy department people who look beyond the short term. If Brad can help inspire and motivate some of our rookies or a guy like NWM or Windy or Mitch then we made the right choice. Maybe we might end up with 2 or 3 Ed Langdon types.

I have called many people apologists when they’ve come on here and defended what I believed to be poor decisions, but I can see a little clearer now that the intent and the motivation and the goal of the club with bringing in Brad Hill at the same time as Ryder and Jones and others was to fill gaps created by consecutive staff who were quite poor at their jobs, and maybe a very poor coaching and football development team.

The membership numbers in 2019 were a direct result of incompetent people and poor management over several years. There needed to be some swift solutions to make us competitive or we risked alienating too many supporters and sponsors.

They made necessary and smart business decisions to make us competitive but I was not happy that they went hard 3 years running and over estimated the benefits to be had by bringing in old and/or second rate B grade players. The fact that we went back to the draft and back to regenerating for the long term, they have redeemed themselves in my book

This is going to sound weird coming from me, because I have been really tough on Brad, but maybe I wasn’t looking at the big picture. Our recruitment decisions and our focus on young talent recently is going to pay dividends while we have people like Brad Hill at the club.
Very well said Scallop, in fact it’s one of the best posts I have read in along time. If you want success you recruit talent AND quality people. I think there were unrealistic expectations of Brad Hill on the field. I believe he will come good. What we don’t see is what he does behind the scenes.

People on here want to chase DeGoey. Sure he has talent, but is he a quality person?
Sinmple answer? No.

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

saynta wrote: Sat 09 Apr 2022 5:30pm

Sinmple answer? No.
+1

happy feet
Club Player

bangaulegend wrote: Sat 09 Apr 2022 8:45pm

Sinmple answer? No.
+1
+1,000,000

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Gee, between Hill’s leadership and Hannebery’s training standards we should have the flag sewn up!

As for the snake oil salesman’s words, I would probably only believe every third one at best.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Gee, between Hill’s leadership and Hannebery’s training standards we should have the flag sewn up!

As for the snake oil salesman’s words, I would probably only believe every third one at best.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

bangaulegend wrote: Sat 09 Apr 2022 8:45pm

Sinmple answer? No.
+1
:wink:

SaintWiki
Club Player

If Hill wasn't tagged as much he would please some people a bit more, but then the same would probably be winging about the player who was tagged instead. His price was very high but I do wonder how well we would be going without him, even if his contribution is minimal compared to the expectation of many ... and he was added to the team as an outside player, wheras he is contantly in very close traffic in the role he has been given.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

If we had Langdon - better

Point of the post

Tell you now. 100%
He is not as fit as he was elsewhere

saynta
Saintsational Legend

No he is fitter . Employed a coach to do additional work as did Coffield. That's according to Ratts.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Mate,

He ran a sub 9:30 3k at Hawthorn and got 16.6 on the beep test

He wasn’t even top 5 at StK

Nowhere near as fit - he looks overweight

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 10 Apr 2022 2:49pm Mate,

He ran a sub 9:30 3k at Hawthorn and got 16.6 on the beep test

He wasn’t even top 5 at StK

Nowhere near as fit - he looks overweight
Lobster has more cholesterol and more calories

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Hill looks OK today, must have shed a few kg's.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Or he’s playing on the most unaccountable HB in footy

happy feet
Club Player

B.M wrote: Sun 10 Apr 2022 6:26pm Or he’s playing on the most unaccountable HB in footy
Oh well who cares, we have registered a great win and Brad Hill has done very well. I know you will be pleased about that.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Well done Hill - you fat f***

happy feet
Club Player

B.M wrote: Sun 10 Apr 2022 6:58pm Well done Hill - you fat f***
You deserve some credit Big Mart, your post provided the necessary motivation. Maybe you should be Sainter of the Round.

sendmehomehappy
Club Player

Hill’s got BM on a direct feed

" If thought corrupts language then language can also corrupt thought."

Politics and the English Language George Orwell
B.M
Saintsational Legend

I think CJ deserves to be DARE Sainter of the round!

Played on Hill mostly and never went within cooee of him!!!

It’s one thing to attack and rebound from HB, it’s another to not defend at all

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

whiskers3614 wrote: Sun 10 Apr 2022 9:23am Gee, between Hill’s leadership and Hannebery’s training standards we should have the flag sewn up!

Perhaps you wish you had refrained from posting until tonight Whiskers. It didn't make a lot of sense, less now.

Saint supporter since '62
saynta
Saintsational Legend

After today's game, that argument should be put to rest. Hill by the length of the f****** straight IMHO.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Trev from the Bush wrote: Sun 10 Apr 2022 7:33pm
whiskers3614 wrote: Sun 10 Apr 2022 9:23am Gee, between Hill’s leadership and Hannebery’s training standards we should have the flag sewn up!

Perhaps you wish you had refrained from posting until tonight Whiskers. It didn't make a lot of sense, less now.
If he played like that more often we would not be having the current debate!
Anyway good on him and let’s hope he has many more good games.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Trev from the Bush wrote: Sun 10 Apr 2022 7:33pm

If he played like that more often we would not be having the current debate!
Anyway good on him and let’s hope he has many more good games.