When is a rebuild not a real rebuild?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Re: When is a rebuild not a real rebuild?

Are Collingwood rebuilding?

They traded in Pat Lipinski

Are North Rebuilding

They traded in Callum Coleman Jones

Did we rebuild in 2001

We traded in Fraser, Hamill, Black, Penny

Rebuilding doesn’t mean pick 10 kids in the draft

It means turn over players

As we did in 2020 - you can do that in a variety of ways

lloyd21
Club Player

cwrcyn wrote: Tue 22 Mar 2022 1:56pm 2019 was all about trying to address the debacle under Pelchen and Elshaug. We had boxed ourselves into a corner and were heading south big time. Something had to be done. In 2019 we got Howard, Hill, Jones, Ryder, Butler, Byrnes, and Connolly. Now, I know we gave up picks, but I think that's a pretty good outcome. That's seven players that are AFL standard. In any single year, a club does well to get two.

From 2018 onward, we have secured these players. A far cry from the shocking years under Pelchen and Elshaug

King.....great selection
Bytel ....highly touted to go top ten in the draft before his injury
Hannebery...Hmmm big fail due to injuries
Wilkie...great selection
Howard...Solid 200cm fullback...very difficult to secure key defenders of this height
Ryder...steak knives bonus in Howard deal. When fit, has been a star
Butler... gave up pick 53 for him. Pretty good deal for us
Hill .... fine player, we just don't use him well
Jones... effectively a swap for Josh Bruce....fair trade
Byrnes...in July of his draft year he was rated in top 15. We got him at pick 52. Still think he'll be a player
Connolly.. second last pick in the 2019 draft...has shown very promising signs
Crouch...a freebie...still has 4 years of football in him
Higgins... got him for a second rounder. He's a talent.
Highmore....pick 45 in 2020. A find
Allison ...2nd rounder in 2021...jury is out
Wood...got him for nothing. Handy back up
Sharman... mid season 2021. Looks a player
Heath...mid season 2021...at last a young ruckman with real promise and grunt
Wanganeen-Milera...obvious talent
Owens....highly rated
Windhager....rated
Hayes...bonus pick up. Looks a find
Peris...speculative
Kyle...speculative

Good summary we’re building ..personally rate Kyle highly also really like the look of Oscar Adams..great
endurance runner for his size, kicks the ball well & nice mark, all about development.

Always thought Peris might struggle given his size but the kid is hungry and impressive runner with again good kicking
skills…

My beef was going recycled older players like Mckernan..Frawley .

Big fan of Bytel.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

SunnyErnie wrote: Wed 23 Mar 2022 12:14am
Impatient Sainter wrote: Tue 22 Mar 2022 10:00pm
SunnyErnie wrote: Tue 22 Mar 2022 9:44pm
Impatient Sainter wrote: Tue 22 Mar 2022 3:16pm
cwrcyn wrote: Tue 22 Mar 2022 2:05pm The reality is, any list build has to be a balance between draft and trade selections. We have scope for improvement with a number of young players aged 22 or younger (Clark, Higgins, Coffield, King, Byrnes, Connolly, Bytel, Sharman, Heath, Wanganeen-Milera, Owens, Winghager, Adama, and Allison. That's 14 players aged 22 or younger, excluding Peris and Kyle. We will go to the draft again this year and pick up three or four more youngsters.

All in all, it could have been a whole lot worse considering the had we had since the end of season 2018. In Four draft/trade periods the club has been bold and has for the most part succeeded.

We're all unhappy at the moment, but I think we need to stand back and really look at the overall picture since the departure of Elshaug. From my point of view, I think the club has done pretty well
Totally agree mate. I think the days of a complete bottom out, to go completely with a youth rebuid are well past. 4-5 years ago we were in the unique position of having a shyte list and being financially reliant on the AFL. We simply couldn't afford financially for the team to bottom out.

The consequences are we have been a middle of road side, but with some luck and smart drafting/trading moving forward things can be turned around quickly.
I disagree very strongly with this statement. Have a look at North Melbourne. They stripped it right back and are now picking up the best young talent. As I said, in a couple of years they will zoom past us and be challenging again. Mark my words!!!
Or they could be like Melbourne in the early 2000's completely bottom out, have a heap of early draft picks with no older blokes to drive the club and the culture sucked...so the club continued to fail. There is a balance to all list builds we are still refining it.
North will be top 4 within 3 years. We are refining nothing.
You dont and cant know that and please keep your overly negative attitude off the forum.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

No Man’s Land

“Yeah….nah””
saynta
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Tue 22 Mar 2022 2:05pm The reality is, any list build has to be a balance between draft and trade selections. We have scope for improvement with a number of young players aged 22 or younger (Clark, Higgins, Coffield, King, Byrnes, Connolly, Bytel, Sharman, Heath, Wanganeen-Milera, Owens, Winghager, Adama, and Allison. That's 14 players aged 22 or younger, excluding Peris and Kyle. We will go to the draft again this year and pick up three or four more youngsters.

All in all, it could have been a whole lot worse considering the had we had since the end of season 2018. In Four draft/trade periods the club has been bold and has for the most part succeeded.

We're all unhappy at the moment, but I think we need to stand back and really look at the overall picture since the departure of Elshaug. From my point of view, I think the club has done pretty well
Totally agree mate. I think the days of a complete bottom out, to go completely with a youth rebuid are well past. 4-5 years ago we were in the unique position of having a shyte list and being financially reliant on the AFL. We simply couldn't afford financially for the team to bottom out.

The consequences are we have been a middle of road side, but with some luck and smart drafting/trading moving forward things can be turned around quickly.
I disagree very strongly with this statement. Have a look at North Melbourne. They stripped it right back and are now picking up the best young talent. As I said, in a couple of years they will zoom past us and be challenging again. Mark my words!!!
Or they could be like Melbourne in the early 2000's completely bottom out, have a heap of early draft picks with no older blokes to drive the club and the culture sucked...so the club continued to fail. There is a balance to all list builds we are still refining it.
Well, off you go. Go and support the roos. Maybe you do already.

30 crap posts out of 30 must be a new record even for this forum.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Leave out the personal attacks please. If there's an issue with a post, report it.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Wed 23 Mar 2022 11:29am Leave out the personal attacks please. If there's an issue with a post, report it.
:roll: . Wasn't a reportable comment, just f****** more of the same nonsense denigrating the saints.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

"30 crap posts out of 30". It's belittling and a personal attack.

SunnyErnie
Club Player

Impatient Sainter wrote: Wed 23 Mar 2022 11:06am

You dont and cant know that and please keep your overly negative attitude off the forum.
I'm not being negative at all. It's my honest assessment. You should be directing your attacks to people that are posting no man's land not me!

St Kilda should never trade with Essendon and Sydney ever again!!!

NeXus
SunnyErnie
Club Player

saynta wrote: Wed 23 Mar 2022 11:11am

Well, off you go. Go and support the roos. Maybe you do already.

30 crap posts out of 30 must be a new record even for this forum.
I'm a passionate Saints supporter thank you very much. I just wish that we went about our rebuild the way North are doing it. Why the hate?

I was just pointing out that the days of completely bottoming out are not a thing of the past as per the above post is stating.

St Kilda should never trade with Essendon and Sydney ever again!!!

NeXus
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Fail to Succeed.

Brilliant.

Certainly takes the pressure off everyone.

What do you think ChrisP.

Tanking in all forms is abhorrent. Would never be party to such foolishness. Anyway what club would fall for it.

Still it apparently will guarantee a flag in 3 years. Comes with a bridge over the harbour.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

The North model may work, but if you look at the premiership teams of the past 20 years, those teams have traded a few players in.

Look at Melbourne. May, Lever, Hibberd, Langdon ,and Tomlinson.

Richmond: Caddy, Lynch, Nankervis, Prestia

You have to have a few, otherwise the rebuild takes 7 or 8 years instead of 4 or 5. Depends how long you want to be patient

Our success in the 2000s had a lot to do with players from other clubs: Voss, Gehrig, Gram, Young, Hamill, etc

The reality is that only 2 out of every 5 selections in the national draft will make it, and only one will end up being a 200 game player, if you're lucky. If things don't work out for a year or two with your drafting, it'll end up being a 10 year rebuild with no guarantees, and that is really horrible. If you get it wrong, you have to start all over again.