Wealthy St Kilda figure Gerry Ryan and former coach Grant Thomas endorse Larry Benge to join Saints board

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: Wealthy St Kilda figure Gerry Ryan and former coach Grant Thomas endorse Larry Benge to join Saints board

Teflon wrote: Wed 20 Oct 2021 10:34pm
Devilhead wrote: Wed 20 Oct 2021 10:21pm Seems the only vested interest here is GT in GT

I didnt mind GT but he had his time ..... and ultimately he failed

Larry Benge might be a bang on guy but he shouldn't be relying on or need GTs endorsement ..... in fact it is likely hurting his chances given GTs outspoken nature
Great post
I truly don’t think people realise that we finally put the years of “we are a rabble ....always play our problems out in the media” (and the media love to laugh at us thanks to rent a quote Grant) finally stop the leaks ....only for this absolute gutter crawler to drag us back down
I genuinely hope Bassat and the Board stand firm and don’t give this clown any oxygen
Gutter crawler? I think you have your coaches mixed up. Ask Freo. And for the record, I think making up bulls*** and posting it, should be a banning offence.
Last edited by saynta on Thu 21 Oct 2021 10:48am, edited 1 time in total.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Re: Wealthy St Kilda figure Gerry Ryan and former coach Grant Thomas endorse Larry Benge to join Saints board

DENTAL PLAN!

"Lisa needs braces"

DENTAL PLAN!

"Lisa needs braces"

DENTAL PLAN!

"Lisa needs braces"

Sanctorum
Club Player

Teflon wrote: Wed 20 Oct 2021 10:43pm
Sanctorum wrote: Wed 20 Oct 2021 11:40am Quite remarkable how Grant Thomas generates so much spirited comment when he expresses thoughts and opinions about his old club.

I'm on record as saying that I considered GT's overall record when he coached St Kilda (and the manner in which he was appointed in 2001) as a failure, despite some really impressive winning streaks during his tenure.

Nonetheless I am happy to acknowledge that he is a very smart and successful businessman and respect his right to cast judgment on the way the club is managed when the team languishes, as it has in 2021. Like it or not, Thomas is very much a St Kilda person

His and Gerry Ryan's endorsement of Larry Benge to run for a place on the St Kilda Board is not a big deal, in fact it is quite a good thing for Boards in all fields of enterprise to have pressure applied to ensure success, and I would be surprised if Andrew Bassat considers that a malicious threat.

During my experience in a previous life as CEO of a large NGO, answerable to a board of directors, I have witnessed the dysfunctionality resulting from boards that become dormant and lazy when they fail to embrace renewal and fresh blood that can inject much needed energy, new ideas and benchmarks to achieve greater success.

It is incumbent on the Board of St Kilda FC to do everything in its power to acquire that evasive and long awaited 2nd premiership cup to Moorabbin.

One of the burning questions has to be: is the working relationship between current CEO Matt Finis and Chief Operating Officer Simon Lethlean successful, as I have sometimes wondered if it might be time for Finis to move on and be replaced by Lethlean, who clearly has ambitions to progress his career beyond the current level.
Sorry supposition and innuendo don’t equal facts
Where is the proof we have a problem at Board level?
Where is the CEO/Lethlean meltdown (unlike the fiasco of Grant and Butters..,,after GT milked him for a cool mill)

Record membership
Finals win in 2020 first time in 10 years
Moved back to Moorabbin
Women’s tram up and running
Danny Frawley Centre u der construction
Superb core of a young list coming through
Development now prioritised with an excellent appointment
NGA starting to bear fruit

....and cause Grant says “I just feel there’s something not right...,” we have to Shyte the bed????

Nonsense.

And if you’re a professionally run organisation you don’t do Board renewal via the media - that just drags the club down into the gutter and we’ve moved on from those days.
"Where is the proof we have a problem at Board level?"

I've not suggested there is a problem at Board level, I just believe it is a good thing to bring in fresh blood from time to time to keep the Board on its toes.

A recent report on the path that brought success to Melbourne FC this year listed Board renewal and changes in senior management as key to this process.

Richmond's success in recent years leading to their 3 premierships came after a long and acrimonious public campaign by high profile supporters demanding change.

Whilst I agree that the club has made some major improvements in recent years, the move back to Moorabbin especially, and that the quality of the playing list is reasonable, in my "heart of hearts" I still have doubts that my footy team is on the cusp of winning another premiership followed by a period of sustained success.

What is patently obvious is that 2022 looms as a make or break year for St Kilda because failure to make finals is likely to bring immense pressure on the Board, senior management and coaches....

"To do good is noble. To tell others to do good is even nobler and much less trouble.."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Thu 21 Oct 2021 11:16am What is patently obvious is that 2022 looms as a make or break year for St Kilda because failure to make finals is likely to bring immense pressure on the Board, senior management and coaches....
And how many times have those exact changes been made since 1966 resulting in zero additional premierships.

The only thing change seems to do at St Kilda is give everyone a new burst of hope.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
asiu
Saintsational Legend

making Steady Eddie our #1 ticket holder

that'll fix everything

well ,
a least the middle way might be remembered

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
Josh Battle
Club Player

Sanctorum wrote: Thu 21 Oct 2021 11:16am
I've not suggested there is a problem at Board level, I just believe it is a good thing to bring in fresh blood from time to time to keep the Board on its toes.

A recent report on the path that brought success to Melbourne FC this year listed Board renewal and changes in senior management as key to this process.

Richmond's success in recent years leading to their 3 premierships came after a long and acrimonious public campaign by high profile supporters demanding change.

Whilst I agree that the club has made some major improvements in recent years, the move back to Moorabbin especially, and that the quality of the playing list is reasonable, in my "heart of hearts" I still have doubts that my footy team is on the cusp of winning another premiership followed by a period of sustained success.

What is patently obvious is that 2022 looms as a make or break year for St Kilda because failure to make finals is likely to bring immense pressure on the Board, senior management and coaches....
I agree…but I reckon we can’t sit back and just wait and see what happens in 2022. We have to be proactive!

We need to be a bit smarter and understand that we will only be a successful organisation if the management and the board of directors are ahead of the competition and not just trying to catch up all the time.

According to some of the apologists (who btw are quick to hang it on 1 or 2 players) when we lose …they go looking to blame the coach or the assistants when the team is underperforming or look to blame our fitness staff or our fixture or the AFL if we miss out on finals, but they need to focus their attention on the people who ultimately run the whole shitshow

I think that Lethlean and Finnis cannot get a free pass. I don’t think that the last 9 years under the stewardship of Matt Finnis could be considered as a successful period for this football club. The only way we can stay relevant and grow the membership and pay our bills is if we can be competitive on field and play off in finals

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Thu 21 Oct 2021 6:07am
Devilhead wrote: Thu 21 Oct 2021 12:40am Question we need to be asking is what's the pay off for GT endorsing Benge?

Not many people would publicly go around endorsing another if there wasn't something in it for themselves
So everyone (every human on earth) does things out of self interest do they. No one does things for the love of it, or for the greater good?

We all paid for memberships during the last two years of this pandemic out of self interest did we?

I just renewed my memberships and paid my annual fees upfront because of self interest :shock: :roll:
Firstly I said "not many" ..... I didn't say "not any"

Secondly you buying stuff for yourself like a membership is partly in self interest ..... the only way it wouldn't be is if you didn't attend a single match knowing that you couldn't attend a single match so you bought the membership to give the club your hard earned knowing you got nothing out of it ...... that said if we made a GF no doubt you would try and find a way to go

As someone said earlier GT is likely backing Benge cause its a way back in for him ...... even if its not physically on the board ...... he likely would now have a mouthpiece inside the club

I very much doubt GT would go "there you go Lazza .... was happy to endorse you mate ...... so glad you got in" ....... and then quietly step away

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Thu 21 Oct 2021 4:21pm 🥱🥱🥱😴
Boring enough for you to read and comment though :twisted:

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Thu 21 Oct 2021 4:52pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Thu 21 Oct 2021 4:21pm 🥱🥱🥱😴
Boring enough for you to read and comment though :twisted:
No. Just boring and clogging up notifications. Knock yourself out.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... 560e0dc046

Could Thomas mount bid for St Kilda presidency?

spert
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: Fri 22 Oct 2021 1:16pm https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... 560e0dc046

He probably will. We haven't had a lot of passion around the club in recent years and I think the whole place needs a big kick up the backside.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote: Fri 22 Oct 2021 1:32pm
bigcarl wrote: Fri 22 Oct 2021 1:16pm https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... 560e0dc046

He probably will. We haven't had a lot of passion around the club in recent years and I think the whole place needs a big kick up the backside.
He may be an egotistical flog. Dunno. Never met him. But if he is, at least he is a St Kilda egotistical flog.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

From the heraldsun.com.au

"Grant Thomas looms as the pressure mounts on Simon Lethlean, Matt Finnis and Andrew Bassat

Grant Thomas might not be everyone’s cup of tea, but the former St Kilda coach has dominated in the business world and is closely watching proceedings at Moorabbin.

Since his shock sacking as St Kilda coach at the hands of an unhinged club boss in 2006, Grant Thomas has built and sold a series of businesses for more than $150 million.

But for all his success in his decade and a half away from Moorabbin, Thomas has never wavered from his passion to see his beloved Saints taste the ultimate success.

They came close under his coaching in 2004 and 2005, and even closer under the man who inherited his team, Ross Lyon, in 2009 and 2010, but across the last 10 seasons St Kilda has reverted to normal transmission, playing finals just once.

Melbourne’s breakthrough grand final triumph in Perth means the Saints have now been handed the game’s most unwanted tag — the longest premiership drought among the game’s establishment clubs.

Murmurs of discontent have rumbled behind the scenes since midway through last season and will only grow louder if Brett Ratten’s troops get off to a shaky start in 2022, which begs the question: Has the time come for Thomas to step back into the fold and make a run for the St Kilda presidency, a prospect he hinted at earlier this week?

The recent sale of his digital bank ‘Up’ to Bendigo Bank for $126 million would suggest Thomas again has the time and energy to invest in his dream of seeing St Kilda become a blue chip club.

Thomas, 63, is not everyone’s cup of tea, but has a history and thirst for success.

He won four successive flags with Warrnambool, played a key role in the appointment of Denis Pagan when director of football at North Melbourne, led St Kilda to three consecutive finals series – only the second time in the club’s history – and saw his side win more games than any other team between 2004-2006.

The Herald Sun revealed on Monday that Thomas and business magnate Gerry Ryan were publicly backing dental surgeon Larry Benge’s bid to become a club director — a move that puts the St Kilda board and its president Andrew Bassat on notice.

Thomas met with Bassat during the week and outlined his concerns.

The re-emergence of Thomas and Ryan’s public endorsement of Benge would be cause for concern for St Kilda chiefs, including CEO Matt Finnis and high-profile chief operating officer Simon Lethlean.

Thomas respects Bassat’s presidency but believes major changes must be made this coming summer.

He is of the view that Finnis isn’t a strong enough leader and should be replaced, and that Lethlean needs to stick to his current role and deliver on his football department blueprint.

Thomas also has concerns around list management and the surprise appointment of the department’s head James Gallagher.

Thomas has also identified the lack of an experienced cultural and people manager to oversee the football department, a role adopted by Richmond with Neil Balme in 2017 and Melbourne this year with Mark Williams.

He believes that senior football figures David Rath and Ratten are heavily focused on strategy, tactics and data, while the “vital cultural connectedness piece is being ignored”.

They are the ruthless decisions Thomas says will send a signal to the St Kilda members and wider AFL industry that they are ready to compete with the league’s powerhouse clubs.

“In my view there are two types of teams in this competition: those in the premiership business and those simply playing AFL,” Thomas said.

“From my observation over the last decade, St Kilda is just playing AFL.”

There is a view from some agitators that Bassat and the board have been too easily seduced by Lethlean and his vision.

Bassat may not have liked the way Benge went about seeking the public support of Thomas and Ryan, but he did not dismiss their comments and privately acknowledges that St Kilda still has much work to do.

During his three years in charge, Bassat has overseen the sacking of coach Alan Richardson and the appointment of Ratten but has largely adopted a steady-as-she-goes approach.

The president has indicated he will take a more hands-on role in the coming months and believes there will be on and off-field progress next year.

Others insist the club has until July to demonstrate that the current plan is working and it is Thomas who now looms as the most ominous figure.

“I only have one good fight left in me and — as always — I’m very happy to use it for the cause of St Kilda,” he told the Herald Sun.

Thomas played 72 games for the Saints between 1978-83, understands governance, business, leadership and finance – and has a powerful voice.

He was a senior executive at MLC for 15 years, played a key role in overthrowing the Andrew Plympton regimen in 2000, coached at AFL level for six years (before then president Rod Butterss sensationally sacked him) and was a member of the St Kilda board that wiped a $5 million debt — which has since ballooned back beyond $12 million.

Thomas’ strained relationship with the suits at AFL house is an obvious sticking point, differences that stem back to his clashes with former league boss Andrew Demetriou.

But should that matter?

Outspoken Hawthorn president Jeff Kennett has always found a way through, and the league’s relationship with the Richmond hierarchy hasn’t exactly been smooth sailing in recent years.

Besides, St Kilda fans only care about that elusive second premiership, not petty spats.

Bassat, the co-founder of Seek and brother of AFL commissioner Paul Bassat, would consider Thomas’ views regarding some of the club’s leaders to be harsh and is comfortable with his current group of directors, although Benge’s bid for a board seat will be given respect.

The Saints boss has promised to keep the dialogue open with Thomas, but it remains to be seen just how long the club’s old coach will keep listening before he decides to act."

Great article and one which puts into print and therefore gives one a true perspective of Grant's time at Moorabbin before he was sacked by an "unhinged" president. rather than the totally biased crap printed on here by those with a hard on still , for GT;s successor. 8-)

saynta
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: Fri 22 Oct 2021 1:37pm
spert wrote: Fri 22 Oct 2021 1:32pm

He may be an egotistical flog. Dunno. Never met him. But if he is, at least he is a St Kilda egotistical flog.
"Egotistical flog". I don't know about that but he at least took the time to come onto this forum and chat to us while he was the coach. "Common touch" if you ask me.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Yes, maybe. What would be wrong with that?

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Does anybody know if Grant (or any of his business interests) have ever sponsored the Saints in any way?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Fri 22 Oct 2021 2:59pm

Yes, maybe. What would be wrong with that?
I'd be rapt. Passionate St Kilda person with a track record of success for the club

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Grant possibly has had a good butchers at our list and decided looks good, I want front seats to the success that's coming and be in the photos.

Criticism of Gallagher lost my vote straight away. (Perhaps GT hasn't caught up with the recruitment of Sharman, Wilkie, Ryder......)

Finnis may not be the best (or maybe he is) however from where I sit we are in a far better spot than where we were when he arrived. Richo might have been his blindside with that extension & love to know the thinking at the time (it did seem foolish) - but most of us make mistakes, I understand. Very experienced now and great corporate knowledge.

Ghost of seasons past, GT.

If you want to help, Grant, sponsor a young player.

As for the pejorative description "just playing AFL", try watching Suns and North. Possibly Carlton last year and Hawthorn. Maybe even Melbourne the seasons before last year's emergence.

GT may have just woke up grumpy, perhaps a tooth ache, and saw Melbourne had gone top; which in itself says nothing about where we are at for 2022. Injuries Grant, it was the injuries in 2021.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

This was the bit I loved...

"Since his shock sacking as St Kilda coach at the hands of an unhinged club boss in 2006"

Wasn't it that same unhinged club boss that appointed him?

No mention of his coaching stint at Old Xavs, seems odd.

No mention of what it is that Bassat has done wrong in his 3 years so why would we need a change of President as things stand?

An interesting article, solely focussed on one man & one man only as if he's the only one with a passion for the club. I cannot see him becoming President, it is an honorary, tireless role without payment.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Fri 22 Oct 2021 3:50pm Grant possibly has had a good butchers at our list and decided looks good, I want front seats to the success that's coming and be in the photos.

Criticism of Gallagher lost my vote straight away. (Perhaps GT hasn't caught up with the recruitment of Sharman, Wilkie, Ryder......)

Finnis may not be the best (or maybe he is) however from where I sit we are in a far better spot than where we were when he arrived. Richo might have been his blindside with that extension & love to know the thinking at the time (it did seem foolish) - but most of us make mistakes, I understand. Very experienced now and great corporate knowledge.

Ghost of seasons past, GT.

If you want to help, Grant, sponsor a young player.

As for the pejorative description "just playing AFL", try watching Suns and North. Possibly Carlton last year and Hawthorn. Maybe even Melbourne the seasons before last year's emergence.

GT may have just woke up grumpy, perhaps a tooth ache, and saw Melbourne had gone top; which in itself says nothing about where we are at for 2022. Injuries Grant, it was the injuries in 2021.
Agree with your comments on Gallagher which I thought were unfair.

Sanctorum
Club Player

saynta wrote: Fri 22 Oct 2021 2:46pm
Great article and one which puts into print and therefore gives one a true perspective of Grant's time at Moorabbin before he was sacked by an "unhinged" president. rather than the totally biased crap printed on here by those with a hard on still , for GT;s successor. 8-)
Thanks for posting this article in full saynta - like you I don't have a problem with Grant Thomas venting on the way "our" team has languished for so long.

I was particularly impressed with his belief that the club needs to appoint a senior mentor, like Balme at Richmond and Williams at Melbourne to help guide the coaches and players to improve and build a winning culture.

Yes, St Kilda played finals on 2020, but that was in a seriously compromised season due to the pandemic, and yes, this year the team was ravaged by injuries, but all that says is that all things being equal, and given a better run with injuries, 2022 is most definitely the year when the current team will progress and build to finishing in at least top 6.

I really wish and hope that they do because anything less than that would to me be a failure, and will rightly lead to a groundswell demand for wholesale change at Linton Street.

In this context, if the wheels do fall off the bus, I don't have a problem with Grant Thomas becoming the "agent de changement"!

"To do good is noble. To tell others to do good is even nobler and much less trouble.."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

GT. Most of the players from that era love him. Said he built a culture. Is 100% St Kilda.

For all his flaws, I don't get the vitriol.

He even made himself available to Saintsatioonal for a while, until the keyboard Napoleons here made him recoil

He obviously has some management skills -- and money -- so it's daft not to invite him back into the club.

If I were Bassat I'd be happy to have the current admin on notice -- another year like 2021 and I'll bring in GT to take over.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Fri 22 Oct 2021 4:46pm
In this context, if the wheels do fall off the bus, I don't have a problem with Grant Thomas becoming the "agent de changement"!
Me too, it doesn't feel right the way this has started to play out but as you say, if the wheels do fall off then GT becoming our Prez would be an interesting watch.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sat 23 Oct 2021 12:11pm
Sanctorum wrote: Fri 22 Oct 2021 4:46pm
Me too, it doesn't feel right the way this has started to play out but as you say, if the wheels do fall off then GT becoming our Prez would be an interesting watch.
:mrgreen:

There'll be a few posters who will explode and blow a 'woofer valve' (as Rex Hunt used to say) :evil: :twisted: