AFL's top 100 earners. 100 to 51.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The Barometer
Club Player

Re: AFL's top 100 earners. 100 to 51.

happy feet wrote: Fri 09 Jul 2021 1:57pm
skeptic wrote: Fri 09 Jul 2021 12:36am
happy feet wrote: Thu 08 Jul 2021 11:04pm
B.M wrote: Thu 08 Jul 2021 10:40pm I guess your right

Your subjective judgment would be way more accurate

Having said that

Coaches use data to make informed decisions

So I’ll go with what they do
Coaches use mor than just data in their decision making process. That’s how they get to the top of their profession. So I’ll stick with what the coaches actually do.
I think the other thing that’s particularly pertinent is that there is so much data out there that it’s become a real challenge for coaches to figure out what to use, what’s helpful and what’s fluff etc.
Reckon many a coach... not least of all old Richo have fallen victim to using selective data to validate a perception but stopped short at times of just objectively watching a match and the outcomes without the extra info.

Newnes played what... 160 games in a row without ever being dropped (or something like that) and then dropped himself. The stats may show that in terms of possessions he was doing ok, and his pressure acts were great and his disposal efficacy was better then you think... but he was playing freaking terrible with a number of half-hearted efforts and low percentage plays for a good while which is what led the majority of fans to turn on him.

Personally, whatever ppl say... AFL isn’t that hard to understand. You should genuinely be able to watch a player without the stats and have a fairly good idea as to how they performed with stats giving you more info/detail to the specifics.

The problem is that too many ppl have drank the elixir of player X hasn’t really had a good effect on the game but the stats say that he’s run 5th most of all players on the field and his 5 kicks averaged more meters gained then most others, and he was involved in three scoring chains etc and had good pressure acts.
Madness
I agree with your observation. My reply to B.M or Big Mart was trying to state what you have written so well, but was sarcastically passed off as subjective.
Yep agree, BM has this completely wrong. the sharpest analytical minds already know what’s happening and use data to confirm understanding and educate others.
It’s really naive to think good decisions can be made on data alone. Anyone can cherry pick stats and make up a story, as Skeptic put it, it doesn’t necessarily make it the right story.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Did I say data alone

I just said I use Data backs up my opinions. Sometimes the eyes see what they wanna see. I like a little bit of evidence to support my thinking. Feel versus real they say in golf.

I think bias tends to cloud judgment.

I also think data is only irrelevant to people who want their ill informed opinions to count.

BTW
Why did the club appoint this bloke
Number crunch: Datahead 'DOS' revolutionising football analysis
Senior Analyst Darren O'Shaughnessy could be one of the Saints' most important off-season recruits.

happy feet
Club Player

B.M wrote: Fri 09 Jul 2021 9:48pm Did I say data alone

I just said I use Data backs up my opinions. Sometimes the eyes see what they wanna see. I like a little bit of evidence to support my thinking. Feel versus real they say in golf.

I think bias tends to cloud judgment.

I also think data is only irrelevant to people who want their ill informed opinions to count.

BTW
Why did the club appoint this bloke
Number crunch: Datahead 'DOS' revolutionising football analysis
Senior Analyst Darren O'Shaughnessy could be one of the Saints' most important off-season recruits.
Rubbish, you said coaches use data to make decisions. Check you own posts. You sarcastically tried to blow away my opinion as subjective and then go one further to say those who think data is not used as it is irrelevant to people who are ill informed and want their opinions to count.

I will say this and say it again. Yes data is important, but it is not the only tool made in decision making. Good decisions look beyond the data at take into account other factors. It’s not totally subjective, it takes into a range of environmental factors. Again, please drop the passive aggressive put downs that litter most of your posts.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
B.M
Saintsational Legend

I’ll keep up the tone as long as you attempt to shoot down every second post I make.

I could say the sky is blue, and you’d say otherwise

Bias does effect people’s thinking doesn’t it??

happy feet
Club Player

B.M wrote: Fri 09 Jul 2021 10:43pm I’ll keep up the tone as long as you attempt to shoot down every second post I make.

Last edited by happy feet on Fri 09 Jul 2021 11:30pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
happy feet
Club Player

happy feet wrote: Fri 09 Jul 2021 11:18pm
B.M wrote: Fri 09 Jul 2021 10:43pm I’ll keep up the tone as long as you attempt to shoot down every second post I make.

You don’t like it when somebody treats you the way you treat everybody else. You try to shoot down and put down everyone else because you get some weird form of gratification from it. Here is a concept you need to think about. You are not always correct. Your post tells me I may just have made you think, I can only hope that you do some self reflection and hopefully become a better person.

fQf

The Barometer
Club Player

happy feet wrote: Fri 09 Jul 2021 11:26pm
happy feet wrote: Fri 09 Jul 2021 11:18pm

You don’t like it when somebody treats you the way you treat everybody else. You try to shoot down and put down everyone else because you get some weird form of gratification from it. Here is a concept you need to think about. You are not always correct. Your post tells me I may just have made you think, I can only hope that you do some self reflection and hopefully become a better person.

fQf
Spot on Happy Feet. Spot on.

happy feet
Club Player

Some comments above about the blind reliance on data.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

And anyone can have a subjective opinion

And not be able to back it up with any evidence

Ie/ the opinion that it’s as easy to get a kick as a forward as it is as a medium or defender.

I formed my understanding by actually playing the game for 30 years in all three areas of the ground.
And used some pretty obvious data to back up my opinion

happy feet
Club Player

B.M wrote: Mon 12 Jul 2021 11:40pm And anyone can have a subjective opinion

And not be able to back it up with any evidence

Ie/ the opinion that it’s as easy to get a kick as a forward as it is as a medium or defender.

I formed my understanding by actually playing the game for 30 years in all three areas of the ground.
And used some pretty obvious data to back up my opinion
Fair enough.