Ratts on pathetic result

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Ratts on pathetic result

i wrote off finals after essendon, but was pessimistic even before a ball was bounced given our fixture. but i still think we'll win up to seven games over the season. so not all bad. we'll respond at times, but we need this team to get a bit of consistency. atm who can be relied on to play a good game every game? just one player! everyone else goes missing at times. too many times. why can't we bring round 4 intensity to every game? just have a feeling our team is mentally soft. five years under richo and that's the legacy we're left with.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
bigred
Saintsational Legend

Hold the line.

More than a few things are rolling against us atm.

We are better than this.

Take a breath. It's coming.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

I hope after 5 rounds, our coaching staff, list managers and recruiters are quite open with our playing list in what we are lacking and what we need. The next 17 games will impact many careers. If Hannebery cannot get on the park, he must retire so we have the opportunity to attract a F.A. like Merrett or Parker (?).

As far as I'm concerned if that jumper means nothing to you, that team mate next to you who is wearing it means nothing. Not everyone is Jack Steele but they can at least try, they can leave a legacy for the club and for themselves.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote: Mon 19 Apr 2021 11:44pm Hold the line.

More than a few things are rolling against us atm.

We are better than this.

Take a breath. It's coming.
Well, we better get a move on pronto.

We need a competitive performance against Port. Maybe not a win, but we need to be in the contest for the majority of the game. Hopefully, that will give us some confidence for the next few weeks and we can build something from there.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Concede??

When you start thinking that, it’s time to rebuild... because you’re not a contender or a developing team

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Tue 20 Apr 2021 6:49pm Concede??

When you start thinking that, it’s time to rebuild... because you’re not a contender or a developing team
Never.

Just hoping we can at the least be competitive and be in the game.

It's up to the players.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saintbob
SS Life Member

freely wrote: Mon 19 Apr 2021 7:15pm I confidently expect us to make a play for Kade Simpson in the midseason draft!
That would definitely be the end of me, the club would never get my membership money again

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

saintbob wrote: Wed 21 Apr 2021 1:08pm
freely wrote: Mon 19 Apr 2021 7:15pm I confidently expect us to make a play for Kade Simpson in the midseason draft!
That would definitely be the end of me, the club would never get my membership money again
+1

We may as well get the coach and footy manager to read Cal Twomie on afl.com and get rid of all the other staff

What's the point of having recruiters if they are going to be lazy and not look for young talent

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sat 24 Apr 2021 3:47am
saintbob wrote: Wed 21 Apr 2021 1:08pm
+1

We may as well get the coach and footy manager to read Cal Twomie on afl.com and get rid of all the other staff
Not the worst idea I have read on here. :wink:

B.M
Saintsational Legend

If we draft Kade Simpson it would prove we have no idea.

We’ve already misread the tea leaves on how good we are, and topped up with average depth players because we believed we had enough quality to contend.

Far from it, we lack the high end talent of the contenders

Reminds me of Richmond and Hawthorn circa 2001
They made Prelims and thought they’d arrived, went out and topped up with mature agers thinking they’ll automatically take the next step! Went backwards and had to rebuild from 04!
Hawthorn did it Well, Richmond did not!! They had to rebuild again after that!!!

It takes more than one swallow to make a summer, to be a contender you need to be proven quality or if you’re young
Full of young elite talent (Dons ‘93, Dogs ‘16)

We made the finals once, in rare circumstances and thought we were better than we are... which is a big mistake.

We were a contender after 03
Why? Because we had a much better list with elite top end talent

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sat 24 Apr 2021 12:02pm If we draft Kade Simpson it would prove we have no idea.

We’ve already misread the tea leaves on how good we are, and topped up with average depth players because we believed we had enough quality to contend.

Far from it, we lack the high end talent of the contenders

Reminds me of Richmond and Hawthorn circa 2001
They made Prelims and thought they’d arrived, went out and topped up with mature agers thinking they’ll automatically take the next step! Went backwards and had to rebuild from 04!
Hawthorn did it Well, Richmond did not!! They had to rebuild again after that!!!

It takes more than one swallow to make a summer, to be a contender you need to be proven quality or if you’re young
Full of young elite talent (Dons ‘93, Dogs ‘16)

We made the finals once, in rare circumstances and thought we were better than we are... which is a big mistake.

We were a contender after 03
Why? Because we had a much better list with elite top end talent
I don't think the teams are comparable.
We're not like the Richmond team of that era or the Hawthorn team.

We may have arrived, we may not have. But two very bad losses doesn't mean we're a complete bust.
But we do need more of our better players to play more matches. If they can do that, we will know for sure.

We have proven we can match it with a lot of the teams at the top.
But I would like us to fix up our ridiculous reserves situation so that we can develop players so that when they play seniors they are well equipped.

Our finals series was fantastic and our efforts last year are a testament to the team. Remember that since 2015 Port have only won one final. I think we can still play finals but we have to back in our best 22, and hope for a bit of luck with injuries.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
B.M
Saintsational Legend

This year we’ve been horrendous - I have us pegged for the bottom 6 - maybe bottom 4.

Hopefully I’m wrong, but a percentage of 70 doesn’t look great