More NGA news

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ace
Saintsational Legend

Re: More NGA news

saynta wrote: Tue 30 Mar 2021 7:20pm
Impatient Sainter wrote: Tue 30 Mar 2021 5:12pm
saynta wrote: Tue 30 Mar 2021 4:03pm
Impatient Sainter wrote: Tue 30 Mar 2021 2:46pm Everything suggests Alabakis is not going to make it and Hunter/McKernan are backup rucks at best. With our two list spots I would love to see the club go scout the junior leagues and grab a young ruckmen and another (best available) possibly a speedy wingmen or midfielder in the mid season drafts.
Give him a chance FFS, :roll:
Alabakis has this year to prove he deserves a chance but everyone who has seen him play suggests he has NFI. He even struggles to win taps at 211cm tall, it's not rocket science.

This will be his 3rd year if he hasnt got it by now he is not going to. I'd much rather see us develop a young ruckman come through that has grown up playing the game.
Someone at Moorabbin with more of a clue than you or I must have seen something to keep him on the list for three years.
What they saw was a player who qualified as a rookie "B".
He only costs a rookies pay.
And does not block a senior or rookie "A" place.
If he makes it big win, if he doesn't make it not much lost.

Developing a ruckman normally clogs a senior or rookie "A" place.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
Sanctorum
Club Player

I'm not sure either if Sam Alabakis, 24 in May and in his 3rd year at St Kilda, is going to make it in the big time, he certainly has not been bereft of opportunities to demonstrate his abilities. I doubt that Paul Hunter (aged 28 and unable to make it into the Crows lineup) would have been recruited if Sam had real potential.

Last year I was very bullish about young Max Heath, a 204 cm ruck prospect at the Dragons:

https://afl.draftcentral.com.au/player/max-heath/

Heath not only looks like Carl Ditterich, but is a much bigger version (by 11 cm) and reported to have the same aggression!

Would love to see the Saints pick him in the Mid Season draft and let Paddy Ryder teach him the tricks of the trade.

"To do good is noble. To tell others to do good is even nobler and much less trouble.."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Leo.J
SS Life Member

Joffa Burns wrote: Mon 29 Mar 2021 5:17pm
CURLY wrote: Mon 29 Mar 2021 4:53pm The TAC selection and talent programe is a farce. These recruiters and talent scouts need to go watch games rather than sit around private schools and big name suburban clubs.
I guess the gun athletes in most sports and footballers don’t get “general excellence” scholarships to the top end schools do they Curly?

All private school boys are silver spoon kids who don’t know the value of hard work hey?

It’s not the 1970’s Curly, have a look at the talent paths available for all socioeconomic groups in society and bring yourself up to speed.

A legend of the game like you “ who knows football” should be across this :roll:
The Dragons squad for this year is about 90% private school kids, or kids that went to a private school last year. The AFL use the private school system and the Catholic School system to develop players. You don’t get the same opportunities outside of the APS system. There’s plenty of untapped talent out there, but your local junior clubs and state schools don’t have the money or structure to develop kids with talent. Some talented kids get scholarships but there are still truckloads of kids from public schools and low socioeconomic background who slip through the cracks. Publics school don’t even play your weekly inter-school footy anymore. Local footy clubs have Dad’s coaching, most APS schools employ ex-AFL players as coaches. If you’re low socioeconomic and indigenous or have a parent from one of the geographic zones the AFL have chosen for the NGA you’re in with a chance. There are a few state schools that have elite sports programs, but it doesn’t have anywhere the same success rate as being an APS kid. The game is fast become an oldboys sport.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Leo.J wrote: Wed 31 Mar 2021 8:17pm
Joffa Burns wrote: Mon 29 Mar 2021 5:17pm
CURLY wrote: Mon 29 Mar 2021 4:53pm The TAC selection and talent programe is a farce. These recruiters and talent scouts need to go watch games rather than sit around private schools and big name suburban clubs.
I guess the gun athletes in most sports and footballers don’t get “general excellence” scholarships to the top end schools do they Curly?

All private school boys are silver spoon kids who don’t know the value of hard work hey?

It’s not the 1970’s Curly, have a look at the talent paths available for all socioeconomic groups in society and bring yourself up to speed.

A legend of the game like you “ who knows football” should be across this :roll:
The Dragons squad for this year is about 90% private school kids, or kids that went to a private school last year. The AFL use the private school system and the Catholic School system to develop players. You don’t get the same opportunities outside of the APS system. There’s plenty of untapped talent out there, but your local junior clubs and state schools don’t have the money or structure to develop kids with talent. Some talented kids get scholarships but there are still truckloads of kids from public schools and low socioeconomic background who slip through the cracks. Publics school don’t even play your weekly inter-school footy anymore. Local footy clubs have Dad’s coaching, most APS schools employ ex-AFL players as coaches. If you’re low socioeconomic and indigenous or have a parent from one of the geographic zones the AFL have chosen for the NGA you’re in with a chance. There are a few state schools that have elite sports programs, but it doesn’t have anywhere the same success rate as being an APS kid. The game is fast become an oldboys sport.
Al fair points leo, but take a look at the demographics of Sandringham.
The type of kids you suggest are missing out on elite programs are not living in the pulling area of the dragons and it stands to reason they would be 90% APS, AGSV due to the proximity of schools and the socioeconomic of the area.

I have been involved with private schools in this zone for the last 18 years and also interstate and would happily state the the vast majority (I'd put a % on it but it would be an uneducated guess) of draftees from private schools are scholarship based. I also disagree the AFL use these schools, I'd suggest they are fiercely independent. I was on the board of a private school for 5 or 6 years so have intimate knowledge of the scholarship program and how that is used as a recruiting tool for full paying families.

Athletes outstanding in mainstream sports and high profile Olympic sports are highly sort after and targeted by these schools. Sports of note AFL, Cricket, Swimming, Athletics, Basketball, tennis and Netball.

Where I disagree is the regular concept mentioned on this forum by multiple uniformed posters is that silver spoon private school boys get the opportunities that others are not afforded and it is due to privilege. Let me give two examples being Lauchie Whitfield and Jacob Weitering both No.1 picks from Mt Martha via The Peninsula School (Peninsula Grammar) where both were scholarship students on general Excellence due to their football ability. Neither would likely have attended that school of not for their GE scholarships.

These boys weren't disadvantaged but weren't silver spoon kids at all but come from private schools.
Do you think Josh battle was a silver spooner or a scholarship student at Hailebury.

There are also very good sport schools available for athletes who do not want to attend private schools such as Marybinong college. In other states the academy wing reaches far and wide with any athlete offered academy spots. I had mentioned earlier I have a son who is an international/national athlete and has not played AFL since he was 12 and was offered an academy position with the Suns in case he wanted a change of sport in the future.

Yes there will always be kids who slip through the gap and disadvantaged kids will always do it tougher, but I totally disagree with the private school focus with privilege robbing less advantaged kids of opportunity as I have personally had kids at APS & AGSV schools over 18 years.

If you are a talented athlete in any of the sports I have mentioned you will get a scholarship to a private school, the base of that scholarship dependent on how you perform.

I also believe if you are good enough you will get the opportunity as long as you have it mentally with the other major issue being injury.

Lastly the talent that may be overlooked is very subjective and i am not a trained eye so cannot comment on the kids you or Curly may feel are being wrongfully overlooked.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Given that recruiters and talent scouts for TAC teams gravitate to the private school games of course they are of more chance to go through. First hand experience when discussing players that didn't get into development program's is that they simply don't know enough about the kid.

They also have people pushing them forward all the time it's a pretty common theme for private school coaches to be calling recruiters and pushing for their player to get a gig.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Thu 01 Apr 2021 8:36am Given that recruiters and talent scouts for TAC teams gravitate to the private school games of course they are of more chance to go through.
Really Curly, look at the reality of the situation and what you are suggesting and take off your blinkers.

The recruiters will go to the private school games where they will see up to 10 scholarship kids who are on the radar due to sustained performance spread across two schools as it's bang for buck.

Do you think they should be scouting back block leagues where they might find one kid who hasn't been successful in entering the pathway programs? How is that time and money well spent?

So these kids they don't know enough about should be getting a go but aren't because of the private school focus and not because they are not good enough at this stage of their development?

Perhaps your judgement is the issue Curly, you clearly lose the plot when it comes to football and have had to be banned from labeling AFL officials cheats on this site. Perhaps you need to lose the chip on your shoulder and deal with the inferiority complex. Your belief in being discriminated against by authority and perceived privileged people is becoming so irrational it is bordering on paranoia.
CURLY wrote: Thu 01 Apr 2021 8:36am First hand experience when discussing players that didn't get into development program's is that they simply don't know enough about the kid.
So an invested coach in a back block league wants to know why his kid didn't get in the development squad and he gets told above. What do you expect them to say, he's not up to it? Those squads are so expansive and the rep games at junior level allow coverage far and wide. I'd suggest its a very rare few that are good enough not getting picked, very rare few.

You are a 500 game legend and a 4 x coach of the year as you have posted on this site.
You don't think by you speaking to selectors about players is not the same as private school coaches calling selectors to discuss players? With your immense football knowledge and standing in the game I'd say you are stating you do exactly the same as the private school coaches but your kids don't get selected.
CURLY wrote: Thu 01 Apr 2021 8:36am They also have people pushing them forward all the time it's a pretty common theme for private school coaches to be calling recruiters and pushing for their player to get a gig.
There we have it, the Curly excuse factor.
The umpires cheat against us, the AFL cheat against us and favor the big clubs, it's a conspiracy.
The Private School kids make it because people are pushing for them, not because their good enough to get scholarships and get selected, there is an unfair advantage to the privileged.

You push your kids forward as well but it is unsuccessful so someone in authority must be to blame hey Curly? It's the privileged private schools and their coaches, nothing to do with the fact they have provided scholarships to the elite talent, it's all privilege.

FFS Curly start teaching your kids resilience and stop making excuses if they aren't up to it.

Kids in Queensland, NSW and Ireland for that matter get academy positions without ever kicking a footy in a match and local comps in VIC (removing covid affected times) have that many levels of rep squads and matches you'd have to be pretty average not to be on a radar somewhere.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Thu 01 Apr 2021 12:34pm
CURLY wrote: Thu 01 Apr 2021 8:36am Given that recruiters and talent scouts for TAC teams gravitate to the private school games of course they are of more chance to go through.
Really Curly, look at the reality of the situation and what you are suggesting and take off your blinkers.

The recruiters will go to the private school games where they will see up to 10 scholarship kids who are on the radar due to sustained performance spread across two schools as it's bang for buck.

Do you think they should be scouting back block leagues where they might find one kid who hasn't been successful in entering the pathway programs? How is that time and money well spent?

So these kids they don't know enough about should be getting a go but aren't because of the private school focus and not because they are not good enough at this stage of their development?

Perhaps your judgement is the issue Curly, you clearly lose the plot when it comes to football and have had to be banned from labeling AFL officials cheats on this site. Perhaps you need to lose the chip on your shoulder and deal with the inferiority complex. Your belief in being discriminated against by authority and perceived privileged people is becoming so irrational it is bordering on paranoia.
CURLY wrote: Thu 01 Apr 2021 8:36am First hand experience when discussing players that didn't get into development program's is that they simply don't know enough about the kid.
So an invested coach in a back block league wants to know why his kid didn't get in the development squad and he gets told above. What do you expect them to say, he's not up to it? Those squads are so expansive and the rep games at junior level allow coverage far and wide. I'd suggest its a very rare few that are good enough not getting picked, very rare few.

You are a 500 game legend and a 4 x coach of the year as you have posted on this site.
You don't think by you speaking to selectors about players is not the same as private school coaches calling selectors to discuss players? With your immense football knowledge and standing in the game I'd say you are stating you do exactly the same as the private school coaches but your kids don't get selected.
CURLY wrote: Thu 01 Apr 2021 8:36am They also have people pushing them forward all the time it's a pretty common theme for private school coaches to be calling recruiters and pushing for their player to get a gig.
The umpires cheat against us, the AFL cheat against us and favor the big clubs, it's a conspiracy.
The Private School kids make it because people are pushing for them, not because their good enough to get scholarships and get selected, there is an unfair advantage to the privileged.

You push your kids forward as well but it is unsuccessful so someone in authority must be to blame hey Curly? It's the privileged private schools and their coaches, nothing to do with the fact they have provided scholarships to the elite talent, it's all privilege.

FFS Curly start teaching your kids resilience and stop making excuses if they aren't up to it.

Kids in Queensland, NSW and Ireland for that matter get academy positions without ever kicking a footy in a match and local comps in VIC (removing covid affected times) have that many levels of rep squads and matches you'd have to be pretty average not to be on a radar somewhere.
There you have it you just displayed you have absolutely no idea on how the process works. Seriously if you don't know and you have showed you don't please just post I 'm not aware on how it works. I know your the Oracle on here and think you know everything but you clearly don't in this case.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Thu 01 Apr 2021 12:52pm

There you have it you just displayed you have absolutely no idea on how the process works. Seriously if you don't know and you have showed you don't please just post I 'm not aware on how it works. I know your the Oracle on here and think you know everything but you clearly don't in this case.
Yeah Curly, and an inbred illiterate halfwit from the back blocks does :lol:

Except the facts that if you are good enough you'll get an opportunity and stop bitching and moaning about the injustices of everything in life.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Thu 01 Apr 2021 12:55pm

Except the facts that if you are good enough you'll get an opportunity and stop bitching and moaning about the injustices of everything in life.

Sit up high and mighty you self righteous twat and keep commenting on topics you know nothing about. The Oracle knows all because he lives in the city so he knows more. Its bellends like you that create these attitudes at these Under age development squads.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Thu 01 Apr 2021 1:01pm

Sit up high and mighty you self righteous twat and keep commenting on topics you know nothing about. The Oracle knows all because he lives in the city so he knows more. Its bellends like you that create these attitudes at these Under age development squads.
Cities Curly, multiple and better to be a city Bellend than finding out you are married to your half sister in hillbilly heaven.

Lol, its pillocks and inbred hillbillys like you Curly that think their dud kids can mix it with elite athletes that cause most issues in kids sport. Allow them to travel their own path and stop badgering the selectors about why your dud didn't make the squad. I can imagine their response when the illiterate bumbler picks up the phone or writes them a rambling email on the injustices of the system.

I can imagine how many kids quit the sport due to the drive home factor with Coach Curly bitching and moaning about the umpires and the injustices of the privileged verses the "real folk".

It's Damir Dockic parents like you Curly that can't accept there are others who have earned their scholarships and squad selection and bemoan that their inbred offspring don't get the same opportunity that drag programs & systems down. Leave the system to the scholarship students who have earned their path, stop trying to push duds who aren't up to it.

Surprised you haven't been banned from coaching kids with an attitude and IQ like that.
Last edited by Joffa Burns on Thu 01 Apr 2021 4:18pm, edited 2 times in total.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

For god's sake, get a f****** room you two.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Thu 01 Apr 2021 2:14pm For god's sake, get a f****** room you two.
I’d consider it, but I’m not related to Curly so I think he’d decline :wink:

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Impatient Sainter wrote: Tue 30 Mar 2021 10:00pm

Do you have to insult everyone on this site? Perhaps they do have hope, but people I trust that have seen him play do not.
agreed on both counts
You would think with so much future potential talent he could have been ripping it up at seconds level
He hasnt even shown a glimpse
Many clubs hang on to players with nothing more than hope signing the contract each year

Seeya
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Thu 01 Apr 2021 2:47pm
I’d consider it, but I’m not related to Curly so I think he’d decline :wink:
Joffa take the Oracle tag as a complement and be done with it
you know the Mark Twain quote about arguing with some people

Seeya
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Thu 01 Apr 2021 2:13pm
CURLY wrote: Thu 01 Apr 2021 1:01pm

Cities Curly, multiple and better to be a city Bellend than finding out you are married to your half sister in hillbilly heaven.

Lol, its pillocks and inbred hillbillys like you Curly that think their dud kids can mix it with elite athletes that cause most issues in kids sport. Allow them to travel their own path and stop badgering the selectors about why your dud didn't make the squad. I can imagine their response when the illiterate bumbler picks up the phone or writes them a rambling email on the injustices of the system.

I can imagine how many kids quit the sport due to the drive home factor with Coach Curly bitching and moaning about the umpires and the injustices of the privileged verses the "real folk".

It's Damir Dockic parents like you Curly that can't accept there are others who have earned their scholarships and squad selection and bemoan that their inbred offspring don't get the same opportunity that drag programs & systems down. Leave the system to the scholarship students who have earned their path, stop trying to push duds who aren't up to it.

Surprised you haven't been banned from coaching kids with an attitude and IQ like that.
Oh Oracle your personal insults are numerous. I guess sitting in such a high and mighty position as yourself you can just make out you know everything because hey you live in the city. Why would anyone know anything more than you given you live in the city.

What’s the plans this weekend Oracle chucking on the Kathmandu jacket and driving out of the city to stare at some trees?

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend

I like hugging them
and using them to get out of the rain
but thats just me

pleeeease can I be an oracle too

Seeya
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

I was involved at Junior Footy level back when the Dragons (Prahran not Sandringham then) were first formed.
The coach was Slug and the Team Manager was Wayne Oswald.
They were based at the same ground we were based at (Princes Park in Caulfield) and we shared the facilities with them.
I can state categorically in the years I was involved (before 2000) they went to look at as many Junior Footy games as they could (from under 14's up) and had development squads for Under 14 and Under 15 with a view to getting the best of these kids eventually into their Under 18 squads.
I had many conversations with Oswald about where he could draw players from. At that stage our local competition encompassed the Oakleigh Chargers and Moorabbin Stingrays as well and we would often see scouts from all 3 at games. The boys were sent to whichever's zone they lived in.
Oswald mentioned more than once that his zone had, unfortunately, many good players in Private Schools that they didnt have access to as the Schools placed themselves as a priority over the U18 Competition.
This may have all changed nowadays but I find it interesting if it has turned 180 Degrees.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote: Thu 01 Apr 2021 5:25pm I like hugging them
and using them to get out of the rain
but thats just me

pleeeease can I be an oracle too
Wait your turn young fella!

The real, only and original Oracle presides over this forum until further notice.

If you require wisdom I can be contacted below:

The.Oracle@iamtheforumoracle.com.au
Instagram @thesaintsationaloracle

There may be a future opening for Apprentice Oracle, but you will need to improve your posting style as I have noticed the following issues with you posting MO and becoming an Oracle:

- Aren't sufficiently opinionated enough
- lack the necessary arrogance
- you need to stop considering other peoples opinion and understand you are always correct
- too empathetic

If you can work in these areas your application may be considered.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend

you dudnt put this in a time frame MrM
but I would bet not much has changed

Seeya
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Now Oracle I have read your take and that may be the case there which is good.

Eastern Ranges is zoned to three seperate leagues.
They have limited resources in terms of talent identification and in fact up until two years ago had no talent scout in the AFL Outer East competition.
As the EFL is the largest of all three the majority of resources were poured into that competition. This also incorporates Yarra Valley Grammer and Aquinus.
Being involved in the Interleague programme conversations were had as to what feed back we could pass back to players who were overlooked.
One conversation was that they basically don’t know enough about the kid and a move to a larger EFL club may be a option.
Clearly this is not acceptable and provisions have been slowly put in place. It’s still a long way from being equal but it is hopefully going to improve.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote: Thu 01 Apr 2021 6:12pm you dudnt put this in a time frame MrM
but I would bet not much has changed
It was in the early to mid nineties.
I definitely recall a group of them (U18 officials from (the Dragons and Stingrays) watching a quarter of a game between Moorabbin United and Ajax where Nick Astapenko was lined up on Julian Kirzner. A quarter was all that was needed to confirm that both were worthy of development, and both groups walked off content with their respective future player.
I remember running across them at many games during those years. and saw them assess lots of players wh went on to play U18 and even AFL
It was still a similar story in 2007/8 when my nephew was part of the Dragons U18 (same team as Rob Warnock and Tommy Johnson - Wayne's son) except that Slug was gone and Gary Colling was the coach.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend

now theres a name from the past
Gary Colling came over to help a few times when I was in a local primary school ( yes early 70s) nothing official tho

Seeya
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Thu 01 Apr 2021 6:11pm

If you can work in these areas your application may be considered.
awww I wanna
I'll be your bestie

think two other considerations are scouts watching those scholarship players playing against the best over a long period
Its easy to stand out in the other comps - but drop away when the level goes up
Also those that do slip through often are not that committed yet (party anoyone)- its these types that decide in their mid 20s they need to grab a shot with a bit more endeavour

Seeya
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Thu 01 Apr 2021 6:35pm Now Oracle I have read your take and that may be the case there which is good.

They have limited resources in terms of talent identification and in fact up until two years ago had no talent scout in the AFL Outer East competition.
As the EFL is the largest of all three the majority of resources were poured into that competition. This also incorporates Yarra Valley Grammer and Aquinus.
Being involved in the Interleague programme conversations were had as to what feed back we could pass back to players who were overlooked.
One conversation was that they basically don’t know enough about the kid and a move to a larger EFL club may be a option.
Clearly this is not acceptable and provisions have been slowly put in place. It’s still a long way from being equal but it is hopefully going to improve.
Thank you for the example Curly, I appreciate it and I understand and except your take on the geographical area to which you refer as I know little about it.

Having been on the board of an AGSV school I am very familiar with Yarra Valley Grammar which was not a higher end sports school like Camberwell or Mentone and even Peninsula & Assumption but less so with Aquinus and less familiar geographically with teams in those regions than I am with the Sand belt and Mornington Peninsula.

I have acquaintances who are very well known in the EFL and it is an easy recourse for recruiters to gravitate to the league that is as strong as any suburban league in the state as it attracts the stronger talent.I guess the pathway for a young talent not getting a look in is to move to an EFL club from the outer lying competitions. Having had two kids leave home and move interstate at 14 to board and train and deal with homesickness, training and injury I think if you want it bad enough you will make it happen.

What I don't understand is how players good enough would still miss out as they are playing in a lesser league than the EFL (no disrespect), I would have assumed they would have stood out quite significantly but if the recruiters aren't there I guess it is difficult.

There is no doubt your region does not have the depth of private schools and competition from those schools to recruit the top end athletes like you have along the Bayside & inner city suburbs, regardless I disagree on the take of many that the private school kids are given better opportunity due to privilege as I have seen first hand many including no.1 draft picks attend these schools due to hard earned scholarships and also the expectation the schools place on scholarship holders.

I can give very specific examples of the requirements and expectations on scholarships holders and the pressure it can put on kids and their families.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Thu 01 Apr 2021 9:00pm
CURLY wrote: Thu 01 Apr 2021 6:35pm Now Oracle I have read your take and that may be the case there which is good.

Thank you for the example Curly, I appreciate it and I understand and except your take on the geographical area to which you refer as I know little about it.

Having been on the board of an AGSV school I am very familiar with Yarra Valley Grammar which was not a higher end sports school like Camberwell or Mentone and even Peninsula & Assumption but less so with Aquinus and less familiar geographically with teams in those regions than I am with the Sand belt and Mornington Peninsula.

I have acquaintances who are very well known in the EFL and it is an easy recourse for recruiters to gravitate to the league that is as strong as any suburban league in the state as it attracts the stronger talent.I guess the pathway for a young talent not getting a look in is to move to an EFL club from the outer lying competitions. Having had two kids leave home and move interstate at 14 to board and train and deal with homesickness, training and injury I think if you want it bad enough you will make it happen.

What I don't understand is how players good enough would still miss out as they are playing in a lesser league than the EFL (no disrespect), I would have assumed they would have stood out quite significantly but if the recruiters aren't there I guess it is difficult.

There is no doubt your region does not have the depth of private schools and competition from those schools to recruit the top end athletes like you have along the Bayside & inner city suburbs, regardless I disagree on the take of many that the private school kids are given better opportunity due to privilege as I have seen first hand many including no.1 draft picks attend these schools due to hard earned scholarships and also the expectation the schools place on scholarship holders.

I can give very specific examples of the requirements and expectations on scholarships holders and the pressure it can put on kids and their families.
While it sounds easier to dominate what can be perceived as a lesser comp it often isnt that easy. Being to play off a half back flank because your side has good numbers or standing up forward with good entry is often far easier just as an example. Just as an example a young bloke from we had at interleague played at a struggling club all his junior days. Basically had to play every position every game and win 99% of his own ball. They got flogged weekly but he dominated at interleague against the EFL squad.