Koschitzke bags 6 goals

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

Koschitzke bags 6 goals

First EVER competitive AFL match, kicks 6 goals and he's not a Saint.

Gutted.

He looked really good. Surprised was I.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Koschitzke bags 6 goals

SAINT-LEE wrote: Sat 06 Mar 2021 11:45pm First EVER competitive AFL match, kicks 6 goals and he's not a Saint.

Gutted.

He was playing against North. I think they may struggle for the first time in many, many years.
They haven't been a bottom, uncompetitive side for 50 years, but I reckon their time is coming.
They have begun a full rebuild at the end of last season, and have had disruptions due to a sudden change of coach, whose departure hastened a drastic reshuffle at the club, particularly with regards to on-field personnel (i.e. the players).
I think any positive predictions for North Melbourne this year are glass-half-full rose-coloured-glasses estimations and not a true reflection of where they are at.
I can see a decade of pain ahead for the Shinboners of Arden St.
They would've received their first wooden spoon since 1972 if RoMa had've kicked straight in Round 1 a year ago. But all that has done is just postponed the inevitable slide to obscurity.
EDIT: He kicked 6.3! He certainly got a lot of it, but my comments re: where North currently sit, still stands (pardon the pun).

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote: Sun 07 Mar 2021 10:33am
SAINT-LEE wrote: Sat 06 Mar 2021 11:45pm First EVER competitive AFL match, kicks 6 goals and he's not a Saint.

Gutted.

He was playing against North. I think they may struggle for the first time in many, many years.
They haven't been a bottom, uncompetitive side for 50 years, but I reckon their time is coming.
They have begun a full rebuild at the end of last season, and have had disruptions due to a sudden change of coach, whose departure hastened a drastic reshuffle at the club, particularly with regards to on-field personnel (i.e. the players).
I think any positive predictions for North Melbourne this year are glass-half-full rose-coloured-glasses estimations and not a true reflection of where they are at.
I can see a decade of pain ahead for the Shinboners of Arden St.
They would've received their first wooden spoon since 1972 if RoMa had've kicked straight in Round 1 a year ago. But all that has done is just postponed the inevitable slide to obscurity.
I hated North as a kid. Really, hated them.

But now I hope they survive. I read an article about western Sydney the other day, by rugby Union fans, mourning the damage AFL is doing to their code with its aggressive marketing to schools in the area. The AFL are carpet bombing western Sydney and these traditional rugby heartlands. I think both codes ultimately lose. If they had put just a bit of that effort into helping footy heartlands like Tassie it would help restore my faith and love and identity with footy. North represent another heartland. Sure, the1970s were about sleazy deals and sneaky takeovers (Packer) etc. bu5 North deserve to live. They can stay 12-16 theory all I care...but survive for their fans and for the ecosystem of footy.

I hope they keep the North moniker too. If they are forced to relocate to Hobart, they can become North Hobart, but I believe 20 teams is where we need to be. And small crowds are not an issue. It’s the story, the imagination, the narratives that are.AFL thinking is narrow minded to say the least.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
The Billings Method
Club Player

North were the reason St. Kilda declined in the 70's. Ron Joseph, a personal friend and member of my cricket club as a junior told me this. In the late 60s and 70s, the Saints were, as we would say today, a destination club. Paying big bucks and getting the cream from interstate.

Along came Norf in 73, determined to rise. They threw huge amounts of money at the players we targeted. Blight amongst them, somewhat ironically. The rest, as they say, is history. They went up, we went down.

I hate them for that alone. Then they got the bonanza of the last of the under 19s crop. Archer, Rock, Stevens, Schwass, Martyn, et al. And Sydney selling them Carey and Longmire for just $10,000 a piece. You wouldn't read about it.

A bit like Geelong with their father/sons in the noughties. When will it be our turn for luck like that?

As for Jacob, let's see how he goes in the real season against some decent teams. That was hardly convincing evidence of his quality. I reserve my judgement. For now.

If alcohol can damage your short term memory, imagine what damage alcohol could do.
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

The Billings Method wrote: Sun 07 Mar 2021 11:42am North were the reason St. Kilda declined in the 70's. Ron Joseph, a personal friend and member of my cricket club as a junior told me this. In the late 60s and 70s, the Saints were, as we would say today, a destination club. Paying big bucks and getting the cream from interstate.

Along came Norf in 73, determined to rise. They threw huge amounts of money at the players we targeted. Blight amongst them, somewhat ironically. The rest, as they say, is history. They went up, we went down.

I hate them for that alone. Then they got the bonanza of the last of the under 19s crop. Archer, Rock, Stevens, Schwass, Martyn, et al. And Sydney selling them Carey and Longmire for just $10,000 a piece. You wouldn't read about it.

A bit like Geelong with their father/sons in the noughties. When will it be our turn for luck like that?

As for Jacob, let's see how he goes in the real season against some decent teams. That was hardly convincing evidence of his quality. I reserve my judgement. For now.
Fair enough. I was just a kid, but funnily, you can pick up a vibe as a kid - or imagine you did as a fifty something - and to me, North were like the GWS of the era. Cashed up small boutique club, somehow privileged, and boy, did they win.

When we stole a win off them with a dodgy goal umpiring decision after the final siren at Arden st...I was like Jesus coming back to life. Elation. (Actually, rather than Jesus we were like a pack of dogs! As we ran on to the field, charging at the despondent heart broken North kids. I remember I shouted in anger/redemption/ joy and I caught the eye of saddened North girl mid sentence as I bleated out.and I let her know. Little a-hole I was!...but that was North...hated them almost as much as Richmond.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Gutted.

Drafted at 52 in 2018. I wonder why he never played a practice match before.

We could have taken him instead of Parker. Maybe we thought he’d be available at 54. Maybe we weren’t interested.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
The Billings Method
Club Player

We weren't interested for a good reason. Let's revisit in three years and we'll see why.

If alcohol can damage your short term memory, imagine what damage alcohol could do.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

The Billings Method wrote: Sun 07 Mar 2021 11:42am North were the reason St. Kilda declined in the 70's. Ron Joseph, a personal friend and member of my cricket club as a junior told me this. In the late 60s and 70s, the Saints were, as we would say today, a destination club. Paying big bucks and getting the cream from interstate.

I can't remember the posters name, but remember someone on here once referred to them as a shitstain of a football club. :)

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Imagine if Nick Reiwoldt had a cousin who could play a bit and we passed on him?

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Sun 07 Mar 2021 6:32pm Imagine if Nick Reiwoldt had a cousin who could play a bit and we passed on him?
Or maybe Nicky dal

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
SAINT-LEE
Club Player

Joffa Burns wrote: Sun 07 Mar 2021 6:32pm Imagine if Nick Reiwoldt had a cousin who could play a bit and we passed on him?
Don't be silly, we'd never do that....hello darkness my old friend

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

kosifantutti wrote: Sun 07 Mar 2021 2:32pm

Gutted.

Drafted at 52 in 2018. I wonder why he never played a practice match before.

We could have taken him instead of Parker. Maybe we thought he’d be available at 54. Maybe we weren’t interested.

He's been touted as a key defender. I believe we weren't chasing during 2018 with other deals such as Callum Wilkie.
Koschitzke was seen one of the best swingman in the draft but didnt get the attention many thought he would. One article says specifically he has great Footbal IQ and spatial awareness. I wonder if that was in the back of teams minds? Would he be a great player that seemed unaware at times of who and what he was running into?

He was injured in preseason 2019 and 2020 Alastair said he was like several rookies around the league to be unlucky without the vfl to get match fitness and put his hat in the ring.

A strong preseason had Hawks fans salivating on talkback about him. Supposedly he took several hangers in packs and ran the full length of the field kicking on 50 for goal in an intraclub match.