The Good, The Bad And The Not Too Ugly

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

damienc
Club Player

The Good, The Bad And The Not Too Ugly

Recruiting. Put simply we got it right two years in a row. This year's crop is enough to get us really excited.

The selfless Jack Higgins. Richmond is the gift that just keeps giving. First Dan Butler and now Higgins. How they ever let this kid go is beyond me. He wins his own ball, has genuine X factor, brings others into the game and can kick a goal and take a mark. And he barracks for the Saints. Legend.

Hunter and McKernan look like they can provide good back up for Paddy.

Crouch will make a difference. He does a lot of good things that don't get noticed. Highmore and Cox are showing promise as well. Recruiting staff get a very big tick.

Breakout year. Jack Sinclair looks set for a year that will establish him as A grade. This kid always looked the goods but hadn't really delivered. His time has come.

Same for Hunter Clark. Silky smooth with all the moves. Expect him to step up.

Bradley Hill. I've been waiting for him to show us what he can really do. The longer quarters this year will suit his game.  He gave us a glimpse against the Blues. 

Max King has put on muscle which gives him a greater chance of mixing it with the bigger key defenders. This kid is a star. Incidentally we're now a team of goalkickers. Thank God for that.

The coach. Ratts is everyone's favourite uncle. But don't be fooled. He is a shrewd tactician and the best coach we've had since Gabby Jeans. Rattan knows how to get the best out of his players.  If the Saints are a destination club in the AFL, and some are saying we are,  he's the reason.

Defence. Two steps forward. One step back.  The loss of Ben Paton should not be underestimated. That was bad. On the positive side Howard and Wilkie are rippers. Highmore promising. Frawley's experience when he's fit. We are lucky we have the versatility to rotate players through that half back line to give us drive and rebound. Sinclair appears to be a natural born rebound defender.

The Not quite sure.  Jack Lonie tops this list.Lonie has talent in spades. I like Lonie but we should have taken Caleb Daniel which was my recommendation at the time.  The only downside to Lonie is inconsistency and lack of defensive pressure. To be fair there is significant improvement in the latter. He needs to work on consistency.

Jack Billings. Doesn't always live up to his name unfortunately especially when you put the word top in front of it. It's overdue for him to take his game to the next level. If he doesn't he's a top candidate to be traded.

The ugly? Not much of note. Our turnovers as in coughing up the pill to the opposition aren't nice to watch. But to be fair this team is being coached to take risks, to move the ball quickly. Sometimes the risk doesn't pay off. So be it. But I hope they keep playing this way. It's an exciting brand of footy.

The takeout. We will play finals footy this year barring injuries to key players. The question will be how far we can go. The exciting bit is finding out. I have a lot of faith in this team and our coach. That second premiership is not far away.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: The Good, The Bad And The Not Too Ugly

damienc wrote: Sat 06 Mar 2021 9:33am Recruiting. Put simply we got it right two years in a row.
2018 was not too shabby: King, Bytel, Wilkie plus Hannerbery and Kent.

So in the last three years our talent spotting, player assessment and very importantly trading ability has most definitely improved. Being seen now as a club most desirable to join helps a great deal as well.

2017 Clark, Coffield (admittedly with a trade from the year prior), Paton. Trades were a bust.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

damienc wrote: Sat 06 Mar 2021 9:33am
Highmore and Cox are showing promise as well. Recruiting staff get a very big tick.
Who is Cox ?

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Swap your cox for a crouch and you will be running sweet

Seeya
saynta
Saintsational Legend

damienc wrote: Sat 06 Mar 2021 9:33am Recruiting. Put simply we got it right two years in a row. This year's crop is enough to get us really excited.

The selfless Jack Higgins. Richmond is the gift that just keeps giving. First Dan Butler and now Higgins. How they ever let this kid go is beyond me. He wins his own ball, has genuine X factor, brings others into the game and can kick a goal and take a mark. And he barracks for the Saints. Legend.

Crouch will make a difference. He does a lot of good things that don't get noticed. Highmore and Cox are showing promise as well. Recruiting staff get a very big tick.

Breakout year. Jack Sinclair looks set for a year that will establish him as A grade. This kid always looked the goods but hadn't really delivered. His time has come.

Bradley Hill. I've been waiting for him to show us what he can really do. The longer quarters this year will suit his game.  He gave us a glimpse against the Blues. 

Max King has put on muscle which gives him a greater chance of mixing it with the bigger key defenders. This kid is a star. Incidentally we're now a team of goalkickers. Thank God for that.

The coach. Ratts is everyone's favourite uncle. But don't be fooled. He is a shrewd tactician and the best coach we've had since Gabby Jeans. Rattan knows how to get the best out of his players.  If the Saints are a destination club in the AFL, and some are saying we are,  he's the reason.

Defence. Two steps forward. One step back.  The loss of Ben Paton should not be underestimated. That was bad. On the positive side Howard and Wilkie are rippers. Highmore promising. Frawley's experience when he's fit. We are lucky we have the versatility to rotate players through that half back line to give us drive and rebound. Sinclair appears to be a natural born rebound defender.

The Not quite sure.  Jack Lonie tops this list.Lonie has talent in spades. I like Lonie but we should have taken Caleb Daniel which was my recommendation at the time.  The only downside to Lonie is inconsistency and lack of defensive pressure. To be fair there is significant improvement in the latter. He needs to work on consistency.

Jack Billings. Doesn't always live up to his name unfortunately especially when you put the word top in front of it. It's overdue for him to take his game to the next level. If he doesn't he's a top candidate to be traded.

The ugly? Not much of note. Our turnovers as in coughing up the pill to the opposition aren't nice to watch. But to be fair this team is being coached to take risks, to move the ball quickly. Sometimes the risk doesn't pay off. So be it. But I hope they keep playing this way. It's an exciting brand of footy.

The takeout. We will play finals footy this year barring injuries to key players. The question will be how far we can go. The exciting bit is finding out. I have a lot of faith in this team and our coach. That second premiership is not far away.
Wood FFS.

The Billings Method
Club Player

Wayne42 wrote: Sat 06 Mar 2021 12:00pm
damienc wrote: Sat 06 Mar 2021 9:33am
Highmore and Cox are showing promise as well. Recruiting staff get a very big tick.
Who is Cox ?
Crouching midfielder, hidden Cox.

If alcohol can damage your short term memory, imagine what damage alcohol could do.
Saintmike65
Club Player

sunsaint wrote: Sat 06 Mar 2021 12:14pm Swap your cox for a crouch and you will be running sweet

Reckon he may have meant Mason Wood!

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend

Wood FFS ?!?
Such a lovely man

Seeya
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote: Sat 06 Mar 2021 2:13pm Wood FFS ?!?
Such a lovely man

My smokey is that Wood will become a defender..and a clever attacking one.

Paton out..Wood in.

When Paton comes back, if Sinclair has established himself as a half-back flanker, maybe Long could go to a wing to fill in for injured Hannebury.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/364606/coul ... -defender-

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Sat 06 Mar 2021 2:27pm if Sinclair has established himself as a half-back flanker, maybe Long could go to a wing to fill in for injured
Or we just stick with Hill and Billings on the wings. Though Battle and Membrey will also push up to wing as marking targets.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
damienc
Club Player

I can't explain. Honestly. But therapy might help. I ho pe

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend

Not needed just yet
It was a good original post

Seeya
damienc
Club Player

sunsaint wrote: Sat 06 Mar 2021 5:37pm Not needed just yet
It was a good original post
Kind of you to say. :D :D

damienc
Club Player

saynta wrote: Sat 06 Mar 2021 1:14pm
damienc wrote: Sat 06 Mar 2021 9:33am Recruiting. Put simply we got it right two years in a row. This year's crop is enough to get us really excited.

Wood FFS.

There are no words except yours and maybe one or two extra F's.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

damienc wrote: Sat 06 Mar 2021 6:16pm
saynta wrote: Sat 06 Mar 2021 1:14pm

Wood FFS.

There are no words except yours and maybe one or two extra F's.
😇👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

A good post. With Frawley going down I wonder if they will move Battle to CHB and use Wood in his position forward. Wood has the ability to get up and back and Battle is really solid down back.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Tue 09 Mar 2021 9:43am A good post. With Frawley going down I wonder if they will move Battle to CHB and use Wood in his position forward. Wood has the ability to get up and back and Battle is really solid down back.
Good thinking 99.