3 vacant list spots, will we fill them?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

3 vacant list spots, will we fill them?

Do we have to fill them by AFL rule?

How will we do it?
Mid season draft?

According to the AFL we have no train on players.

However unlikely could we turn to former Saints Savage, Parker or Bell?

Anyone have an idea on who we may target?

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... 93ca60017a

ST KILDA
Vacant list spots: 3

Train-on players: 0

The Saints have more list spots available than any club.

With three selections, they have the option to potentially sign a player or two before the season then keep at least one pick for the mid-season draft.

St Kilda, which is coming off a semi-final appearance, does not seem to have any glaring list weaknesses. But it may consider adding a tall backman after the departures of Logan Austin and Nathan Brown, or another pacy forward, now that Matthew Parker and Nick Hind are gone.

If it sought a younger player, could mid-sized Tasmanian interceptor Sam Collins, who was overlooked in the draft last month, be a target? What about Northern Territorian medium forward Brodie Lake? Gold Coast had access to him via its Darwin zone but did not have secure him.

Athletic and quick, Lake played for Central District in the SANFL last year. An experienced player or two could appeal given St Kilda’s push for a top-four spot in 2021. West Adelaide’s Mitch Duval, 23, warrants consideration after going from amateur football in 2019 to the draft combine last year. The 188cm backman took the fourth-most intercept marks in the SANFL in 2020.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

Re: 3 vacant list spots, will we fill them?

I’m sure the club has their plan. Perhaps with so little exposure of the U18 players in 2020 they want to watch to find the ones that would’ve bolted up the board in a normal season. That’s my guess atm. However 3 spots? I think Savage was stiff at the time but that’s why they must have their plan

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Did Jackson Callow get picked up?

B.M
Saintsational Legend

I honestly reckon we are a back up Power Forward and a couple of outside mids short.

We got rid of runners like
Savage, Phillips, Langlands, Hind

And picked up
A small forward, inside mid, hybrid forward, interceptor

Only really Higgins has the ability to run and carry

I think we need to add another runner

And what happens if king is injured?

Sanctorum
Club Player

If King goes down I would expect Marshall to take his role and bring in McKernan.

Quite like the look of Jackson Callow, a big lump of a lad (193 cm, 95 kg) from Tassie:

"Next under the microscope in our AFL Draft Watch is Tasmania’s Jackson Callow, a powerful key forward who is not afraid to throw his weight around. The 193cm prospect was a mainstay in the Devils’ maiden full-time NAB League campaign, booting 24 goals in 14 games as his side’s focal point up forward. Callow also played a key role in North Launceston’s Tasmanian State League (TSL) premiership triumph, booting a game-high three goals in the decider.

After failing to break through for the 2019 National Championships, Callow seems a lock for the 2020 Allies Under 18 side and has fared well in his representative duties with Tasmania thus far. While he looks most comfortable inside forward 50, Callow can also pinch-hit in the ruck and was even tried in defence during the Under 17 All Stars showcase fixture. His physicality and unrivalled contested marking often draw multiple opponents, with the big-man hard to stop at full flight
."

His highlight reels on Youtube are really good, looks cherry ripe to play AFL this year....

"To do good is noble. To tell others to do good is even nobler and much less trouble.."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Gershwin
Club Player

Sanctorum wrote: Mon 04 Jan 2021 2:22pm If King goes down I would expect Marshall to take his role and bring in McKernan.

Quite like the look of Jackson Callow, a big lump of a lad (193 cm, 95 kg) from Tassie:

"Next under the microscope in our AFL Draft Watch is Tasmania’s Jackson Callow, a powerful key forward who is not afraid to throw his weight around. The 193cm prospect was a mainstay in the Devils’ maiden full-time NAB League campaign, booting 24 goals in 14 games as his side’s focal point up forward. Callow also played a key role in North Launceston’s Tasmanian State League (TSL) premiership triumph, booting a game-high three goals in the decider.

After failing to break through for the 2019 National Championships, Callow seems a lock for the 2020 Allies Under 18 side and has fared well in his representative duties with Tasmania thus far. While he looks most comfortable inside forward 50, Callow can also pinch-hit in the ruck and was even tried in defence during the Under 17 All Stars showcase fixture. His physicality and unrivalled contested marking often draw multiple opponents, with the big-man hard to stop at full flight
."

His highlight reels on Youtube are really good, looks cherry ripe to play AFL this year....
You wouldn’t put Callow ahead of Josh Battle as a key forward would you ?

summertime and the living is easy ........
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Unless we go mature from a state league or AFL delisted you wouldn't find many ready to play I wouldn't think, hence the Frawley & McKernan recruitment.

A developing young ruck like Max Heath 203cm who appeared to be rated highly and hasn't been picked up may be worth a rookie slot, buts that's just from reading and no knowledge.

If you want a ready made key forward back up what about Paddy McCartin?
Could we pull a surprise and recall Paddy?

Still disappointed we didn't have a crack at Peter Wright as I think he fits our profile really well and I believe will be the trade steal of the year.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Sanctorum
Club Player

Gershwin wrote: Mon 04 Jan 2021 3:14pm
Sanctorum wrote: Mon 04 Jan 2021 2:22pm If King goes down I would expect Marshall to take his role and bring in McKernan.

."

You wouldn’t put Callow ahead of Josh Battle as a key forward would you ?
Possibly "Ira", Callow at 19 looks to have a much stronger body than Battle at that age and appears to have greater physicality.

I have long thought that Battle should be developed in a roaming Ruck/Rover role along the lines of Fyfe and Bontempelli and given spells rotating through the midfield.

"To do good is noble. To tell others to do good is even nobler and much less trouble.."

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Battle doesn’t have the agility, power or cleanliness below his knees to be an onballer IMO in fact those areas are weaknesses in his game

He does however have strong hands, reliable kick and massive endurance.
To me he is a hit up forward who can play chb if needed

Sanctorum
Club Player

B.M wrote: Mon 04 Jan 2021 5:05pm Battle doesn’t have the agility, power or cleanliness below his knees to be an onballer IMO in fact those areas are weaknesses in his game

If Battle has the deficiencies you mention B.M I can't see him fitting in Best 22 on a regular basis,.

I'm sure the coaches expect him to improve significantly this year, add to his skill set and become the tall onballer the team desperately needs!

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Every player has weaknesses, which precludes them from playing certain positions.

Caleb Daniel was an AA and Jarryn Geary exposed his weaknesses in that position in a final.

Battles strengths can be utilised in positions he is suited to playing.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 04 Jan 2021 9:06pm Every player has weaknesses, which precludes them from playing certain positions.

Caleb Daniel was an AA and Jarryn Geary exposed his weaknesses in that position in a final.

Battles strengths can be utilised in positions he is suited to playing.
Jarryn did, didn't he. :wink: :wink: :wink:

Great to watch.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Mon 04 Jan 2021 9:01pm
B.M wrote: Mon 04 Jan 2021 5:05pm Battle doesn’t have the agility, power or cleanliness below his knees to be an onballer IMO in fact those areas are weaknesses in his game

if

If Battle has the deficiencies you mention B.M I can't see him fitting in Best 22 on a regular basis,.

I'm sure the coaches expect him to improve significantly this year, add to his skill set and become the tall onballer the team desperately needs!
I think Battle is a good player and definitely best 22 providing flexibility and coverage back and forward with an occasional burst on a wing but is is not and will never be an on baller IMO. Also has massive heart and will put his body on the line.

He doesn’t have the lateral movement, is not good below his knees and isn’t a congested ball winner.

Doesn’t mean he’s not best 22 or a good player, he’s just not a mid. Lead up forward is his best position IMO.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Spot on Joffa

saintbob
SS Life Member

Henry Walsh (ruck), Derek Eggmolesse-Smith (def/wing), Oliver Davis (mid) and Sam Collins (mid size marking defender) would all be worth a spot.
Last edited by saintbob on Wed 06 Jan 2021 6:28am, edited 2 times in total.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Tue 05 Jan 2021 10:56am
Sanctorum wrote: Mon 04 Jan 2021 9:01pm

if

I think Battle is a good player and definitely best 22 providing flexibility and coverage back and forward with an occasional burst on a wing but is is not and will never be an on baller IMO. Also has massive heart and will put his body on the line.

He doesn’t have the lateral movement, is not good below his knees and isn’t a congested ball winner.

Doesn’t mean he’s not best 22 or a good player, he’s just not a mid. Lead up forward is his best position IMO.
+1

Good call on 2m Poiter too :wink:

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 04 Jan 2021 1:14pm I honestly reckon we are a back up Power Forward and a couple of outside mids short.

We got rid of runners like
Savage, Phillips, Langlands, Hind

And picked up
A small forward, inside mid, hybrid forward, interceptor

Only really Higgins has the ability to run and carry

I think we need to add another runner

And what happens if king is injured?
I think the club sees Connolly as a wingman, but agree on the power forward. Would hope the club use the preseason and mid season drafts to fill some holes.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Mon 04 Jan 2021 3:42pm Unless we go mature from a state league or AFL delisted you wouldn't find many ready to play I wouldn't think, hence the Frawley & McKernan recruitment.

A developing young ruck like Max Heath 203cm who appeared to be rated highly and hasn't been picked up may be worth a rookie slot, buts that's just from reading and no knowledge.

If you want a ready made key forward back up what about Paddy McCartin?
Could we pull a surprise and recall Paddy?

Still disappointed we didn't have a crack at Peter Wright as I think he fits our profile really well and I believe will be the trade steal of the year.
Wright was/is on big coin and his over inflated contract was no where equivalent to his output. So I'm glad we didnt go near him.

Max Heath or Walsh would be definitely worth a rookie position you would think.