St Kilda: Jonathon Marsh has been delisted

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Re: St Kilda: Jonathon Marsh has been delisted

It's becoming a fine balancing act now for where we are and the reduced list size. Balance developing unknown but rated kids against known, grown, AFL experienced players to complement the entire list.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Memory is poor, but cannot remember Jonathon taking a strong contested o/head mark (?). Can remember quite a few enthusiastic attacks on ground balls only to over run or fumble (I think). Always looked good in the birdcage but never seemed to get to the line enough.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Fri 20 Nov 2020 9:03pm So am I right in saying we have now cut 8 players but only recruited 2 in ?
No, 10 out and three in.

Hyde, Marsh, Phillips, Parker, Langlands, Abbott, Bell, Mayo, Austin and Brown are the outs.

Sanctorum
Club Player

With the delisting of Jon Marsh and Ed Phillips it seems to me that the club has at least one, possibly two players delisted by other clubs in mind, whom they consider will augment the list in ways that the latter two did not.

"To do good is noble. To tell others to do good is even nobler and much less trouble.."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Sat 21 Nov 2020 6:25pm With the delisting of Jon Marsh and Ed Phillips it seems to me that the club has at least one, possibly two players delisted by other clubs in mind, whom they consider will augment the list in ways that the latter two did not.
Possibly Sancto. There's still another lodgement day isn't there? Or is that after the Draft? They said "best available" so may have their fingers crossed that some identified kids get through in a heavily weighted NGA draft, meaning later picks may be more valuable than a normal draft with known entities.

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Same as Ed Phillips disappointed for Jono but in the dog eat dog environment of the AFL system you need to keep a level head. IMO he was a handy back up & did a serviceable job but in the big picture he is not in our best 22 & with list reductions he is surplus to our needs

bakes
Club Player

If we use 2 picks in the draft I’d hope we only use the 1st pick on a kid and not use the 2nd pick on a delisted player, I’d rather look at trying an mature unknown player from the state leagues again and try and find the next Marshall/Wilkie/Sam Fisher/ Lambert etc.

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

Cant compare McKernan and Marsh.

One has proven he can ruck a whole game pretty decent in a pinch.

The other gets an odd handball in space and races in for a goal, handy but not needed.

We need a back up plan if rucks go down. McK brings that.

Im no fan but he gets 12 months and if my eyes/ears don't deceive me Sam will get a good run in the vfl ruck and we might see him picking up an emergency at the back end of 2021. He just needs a bit more weight and set up techniques ( which he is still working on now with Robbie & Adam right up until Dec break up ). Sam got the hard word mid season from Ben and he has given 110% in developing everything that was pointed out in their do or die chat in July.

I have some faith in what's going on.

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

bakes wrote: Sat 21 Nov 2020 10:32pm If we use 2 picks in the draft I’d hope we only use the 1st pick on a kid and not use the 2nd pick on a delisted player, I’d rather look at trying an mature unknown player from the state leagues again and try and find the next Marshall/Wilkie/Sam Fisher/ Lambert etc.
Seems you're in the know...thats the game plan I've heard. But not really rocket science I guess. We need mature KPP:
Full Forward
Defense - tall
Ruck ( I dont think there's a better available back up than McKernan hence his spot)

SaintPelican66
Club Player

Alabakis has all the tools. He has a good tank, height obviously, agile for his size, great spring, he just needs a full season in the VFL next year. Come 2022 he will be ready to at least be a genuine backup ruck in case of injury. This is why I still think with pick 21 we should go for the best available ruckman. He then can develop as a ruck forward at Sandy while Alabakis plays as the number 1 ruck for Sandy. Then in 2022 Alabakis (or if the pick 21 from this year develops quicker), becomes the second ruck in the seniors partnering Marshall. Sweet............

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

SAINT-LEE wrote: Mon 23 Nov 2020 8:08pm
bakes wrote: Sat 21 Nov 2020 10:32pm If we use 2 picks in the draft I’d hope we only use the 1st pick on a kid and not use the 2nd pick on a delisted player, I’d rather look at trying an mature unknown player from the state leagues again and try and find the next Marshall/Wilkie/Sam Fisher/ Lambert etc.
Seems you're in the know...thats the game plan I've heard. But not really rocket science I guess. We need mature KPP:
Full Forward
Defense - tall
Ruck ( I dont think there's a better available back up than McKernan hence his spot)
There are a couple of really athletic talls who will go late in the draft. Both are pretty new to footy but gun athletes with pace and endurance. Would like to get one of them or rookie them both.
Liam Kolar & Max Holmes

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
damienc
Club Player

When he was good, he was......but didn't do it often enough or for long enough. Disappointing, but not surprising.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

damienc wrote: Tue 24 Nov 2020 9:12pm When he was good, he was......but didn't do it often enough or for long enough. Disappointing, but not surprising.
When was he good?

damienc
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Tue 24 Nov 2020 9:35pm
damienc wrote: Tue 24 Nov 2020 9:12pm When he was good, he was......but didn't do it often enough or for long enough. Disappointing, but not surprising.
When was he good?
Never for a whole game of footy. As in four consecutive quarters. If he had consistency we would have kept him. He can be aggressive and physical in the way he attacks the footy. But occasional flashes don't cut it, so we cut him. We're on the same page here.