Saints looking at Shaun Higgins

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

Re: Saints looking at Shaun Higgins

No thanks to Higgins and Ben Brown.

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
nostalgicsaint
Club Player

saynta wrote: Thu 24 Sep 2020 4:49pm
nostalgicsaint wrote: Thu 24 Sep 2020 4:45pm Would seriously add where we are lacking.

Anyone who thinks we have enough depth in our midfield has rocks in their head and should go back and watch the west coast, Collingwood or Geelong games.

Beyond that his silk is what we need more of.

Seems like he could play on ball for two years and then would be handy on a flank for a third.

I'd happily part with our first round pick for him and pay him 1m plus.
He's gettable for cheaper than that and the roos wouldbe paying some of his salary..

Where do I sign. :D

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
Big John

Assuming the price is right. I would be more than happy to see Ben and Shaun (and Jye) running around in red, white and black. Tim Membrey to HFF, Ben and Max run hybrid FF/CHF.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Thu 24 Sep 2020 4:07pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Thu 24 Sep 2020 2:34pm

Higgins as a free agent,
Higgins is under contract, and so is not a free agent.

North might let him go for a late pick, or exchange of late pics, just to free up salary cap space for themselves.

Higgins is good, but his age is a real worry though. Offsetting that his trade cost would be little.
Correct. My bad.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Big John wrote: Thu 24 Sep 2020 5:08pm Assuming the price is right. I would be more than happy to see Ben and Shaun (and Jye) running around in red, white and black. Tim Membrey to HFF, Ben and Max run hybrid FF/CHF.
No to Ben Brown for me.

Has one string to his bow (and yes its a good one when it works) which is lead up hard and take it at good stretch.

Runs under it if it's not lace out in his zone and has little physical presence in contested situations.

If he was 23 perhaps but a no for me.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
SaintPelican66
Club Player

CQ SAINT wrote: Thu 24 Sep 2020 2:34pm
fugazi wrote: Thu 24 Sep 2020 2:22pm Well that's a bit surprising.
Not in our age demographic.
We may be getting a bit ahead of ourselves
I read elsewhere from Leathlean that we would trade agressively, in and out. Higgins class might be to make up for some that we lose, while others develop.

Higgins as a free agent,
Taranto and Caldwell for our 2020 FRDP and ?????????
Higgins as a FA would be great. Unfortunately as it clearly states he is contracted for 2021 so clearly he is not a FA. Norf would want a pick in the 20's so it's a definite no from me.

Sanctorum
Club Player

I'm not at all convinced that there's much to be gained by bringing a 33 yo Shaun Higgins to St Kilda in 2021.

St Kilda already have Dan Hannebery and Bradley Hill as senior mentors to the midfielders and I would have real concerns that playing Higgins would be at the expense of a number of our younger developing midfielders.

It should also be noted that St Kilda have their eyes out for one or two younger midfielders.

It could also risk off-loading Luke Dunstan who in my view would have played in the Saints midfield in most games this year if not for his injury, he certainly looked much improved in the one game he played against North, close to BOG.

"To do good is noble. To tell others to do good is even nobler and much less trouble.."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
johnearljames
Club Player

Lock it in.

Want to watch the most boring and devious thing on television and probably in mankind's history, then tune into a daily live press conference at 11am.
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Thu 24 Sep 2020 6:12pm I'm not at all convinced that there's much to be gained by bringing a 33 yo Shaun Higgins to St Kilda in 2021.

St Kilda already have Dan Hannebery and Bradley Hill as senior mentors to the midfielders and I would have real concerns that playing Higgins would be at the expense of a number of our younger developing midfielders.

It should also be noted that St Kilda have their eyes out for one or two younger midfielders.

It could also risk off-loading Luke Dunstan who in my view would have played in the Saints midfield in most games this year if not for his injury, he certainly looked much improved in the one game he played against North, close to BOG.
Agree with your take on Higgins. Put our faith and energy into building a long term list.

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Higgins is a gun good user good decision maker I would be very interested at the right price .I can't see Ben Brown & Max King being able to share the same space & Max is our future so it's a no for Brown IMO

older saint
SS Life Member

for the right price will provide more than player 44 ( or whatever the list numbers are) but like I said for the right price and trade

SaintPelican66
Club Player

older saint wrote: Thu 24 Sep 2020 8:41pm for the right price will provide more than player 44 ( or whatever the list numbers are) but like I said for the right price and trade
So what is the right price and trade older saint?

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

bergsone wrote: Thu 24 Sep 2020 2:25pm Reall liked the idear of getting him 2 years back,not too sure now
I’m with you. I’d prefer not to take a risk on a guy his age.

There’s quite a few getting excited at seeing the Shaun Higgins version from 2 or 3 years ago running around in the rw&b. The problem is that he turns 33 before next season starts. History tells you that the cliff comes suddenly and we’ve seen so many older blokes lose form quickly at that age

bigred
Saintsational Legend

This is all bulls*** really.

He's a couple of years beyond our range IMO. Has been a quality player.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

NO.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Thu 24 Sep 2020 11:33pm
bergsone wrote: Thu 24 Sep 2020 2:25pm Reall liked the idear of getting him 2 years back,not too sure now
I’m with you. I’d prefer not to take a risk on a guy his age.

There’s quite a few getting excited at seeing the Shaun Higgins version from 2 or 3 years ago running around in the rw&b. The problem is that he turns 33 before next season starts. History tells you that the cliff comes suddenly and we’ve seen so many older blokes lose form quickly at that age

He's had another great year and isn't showing signs of 'father time catching up with him just yet.

Plenty of examples running around the afl in 2020 of the mindset 32 is too old being nonsense.

The thing I keep coming back to is the best teams have deep midfields. Look at the Lions, Cats, Tigers and West Coast.

If we can add two more quality mids to the rotation there we're in a very strong position to bring forward our windows.

Currently we have in order of clearances

Steele, jones, gresham, ross, billings, clark, sinclair

Higgins slots in just above clark on this stat. Those who are worried about it slowing his development should look to marshall as an example. He'll still get time on the ball but the pressure won't be there as much and he'll actually be protected through his development.

Personally think the next few years look like this currently.

2021 5th to 8th
2022 top 4
2023 window open

With a Higgins and another modfielder you give us every chance of bringing the above forward a year.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Caldwell btw is 100 ranking spots lower than Clark in clearances

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

This is an interesting development in our recruiting strategy. I wonder if Lethers and Gubby have modified the strategy to meet the influence of the recession and the AFL financial restrictions in place which will only get tighter.

The media are still carrying on as though we have a war chest however that is not going to be the case and the new restrictions should be announced post October 24.

If Higgins is a geniune target he will only be on the base contract and match payments. But his potential recruitment does further telegraph the clubs intention to recruit for an urgent and immediate need for more depth in midfield quality and onfield leadership.

At the right price he's a viable recruit I suppose.

older saint
SS Life Member

SaintPelican66 wrote: Thu 24 Sep 2020 9:39pm
older saint wrote: Thu 24 Sep 2020 8:41pm for the right price will provide more than player 44 ( or whatever the list numbers are) but like I said for the right price and trade
So what is the right price and trade older saint?
Without knowing how the cap space is set up I don't see money being an issue as an issue as a 2 year deal only. This would mean that when Clarke Coff King etc are after new deals he will be off the books.

Worry is trade. Perhaps a second round pick ( which in this draft is a traditional 3rd ) . North are in rebuild so will be looking at picks - already have 2 first rounders.
Players mentioned at tradeable don't really match North needs - Dunstan - got Cunnington and Ziebel, Lonie - maybe, Carlisle- again maybe but have Tarrant

SaintDippa
Club Player

Did Higgins go to Xavier? Only reason I can see for the alleged interest.

takeaway
Club Player

I think Geelong is the front runner for Higgins.

I would prefer to target younger talent, however if there is any truth to the Saints being interested in older talent like Higgins, Brown, maybe Ryder is a factor.

Ryder has one, perhaps two years left and maybe while we have a ruckman that can consistently give our mids an advantage, we may have decided to give it a real crack next year.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Higgins would be a great pickup for a couple of years. I dont see how we fit Brown into our F50 so I doubt we would go there.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

SaintDippa wrote: Fri 25 Sep 2020 12:01pm Did Higgins go to Xavier? Only reason I can see for the alleged interest.
What ... apart from being genuinely tough and a classy ball user? We need more of his good kicking types and less of the choppers.

Go you red, black & white warriors
SaintDippa
Club Player

March 2021 Higgins is 33. What is the point.

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Can someone tell us how old Higgins is going to be next year? I'm not exactly sure.