Saints after Zach Williams

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saints after Zach Williams

If anyone wishes or bemoans the fact we did not get Shiel, watch his kick at the 11 minute mark of the third quarter. We need a quality mid with good disposal, can kick goals and stay on the park. We have Jack Steele but only parts of others.

johnearljames
Club Player

Ghost Like wrote: Tue 01 Sep 2020 4:35pm
johnearljames wrote: Tue 01 Sep 2020 1:06am Blues after him too but virtually confirmed by Gerard Healey on the Couch tonight. Heard as much also.

Looking forward to this trade period again. We are a destination club again. We will get players.
"60% of the time it works every time." Thanks Anchorman
Cool man. Whatever floats your boat. 😎

Want to watch the most boring and devious thing on television and probably in mankind's history, then tune into a daily live press conference at 11am.
SaintDippa
Club Player

Am I missing something. Isn't a fit Zac Williams = a fit Jimmy Webster?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

SaintDippa wrote: Wed 02 Sep 2020 1:48pm Am I missing something. Isn't a fit Zac Williams = a fit Jimmy Webster?
No. I saw Williams tear us apart last year at Manuka oval. No one could ever accuse Jimmy of tearing an opposition side apart.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

SaintDippa wrote: Wed 02 Sep 2020 1:48pm Am I missing something. Isn't a fit Zac Williams = a fit Jimmy Webster?
Zac while having mainly played as a defender has played also well in the midfield for GWS including in finals when he has been played there. Many believe he could play well there, but GWS havea huge richness in quality mids that keeps him out, and allows GWS the luxury of playing him across hb.

Jimmy I don't think has ever had a rotation in the midfield.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Wed 02 Sep 2020 4:02pm
Zac while having mainly played as a defender has played also well in the midfield for GWS including in finals when he has been played there. Many believe he could play well there, but GWS havea huge richness in quality mids that keeps him out, and allows GWS the luxury of playing him across hb.

Jimmy I don't think has ever had a rotation in the midfield.
I like Jimmy W but he's not in Zacs class as a player.

Zac is super quick and agile and breaks the lines with run and carry.
Not as tough as Jimmy or Zac Jones but a bit better skilled than both.
Could be a good midfield/ wing/ half back rotation with Jones & Clark.

I'd describe him as a more skilled version of Zac Jones, but not as hard.

We've dined out on Jacks without success it looks like its time to get some Zacs into the club.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

I'll take...

Jye Caldwell for our first pick - because the club wants him (from reports) and its looks about the right number #8 with maybe a swap of a later pick or two in our favor.

Zac Williams - free agent

Peter Wright - future 2nd round pick or 2nd rounder if we can secure one in a trade? Not getting a game but huge upside IMO. Still young and worth the punt. If he develops imagine Marshall, King & Wright forward ruck combination.

Retire - Hnnebery (please) free up cash for a push at FA and retention of players performing such as Steele.

Trades: Dunstan & 3rd round pick to Essendon for their 2nd round pick?

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Wed 02 Sep 2020 4:29pm

Retire - Hnnebery (please) free up cash for a push

Well that is not going to happen.

You could pay him out, but then that is not going to free up cash.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Wed 02 Sep 2020 4:29pm I'll take...

Jye Caldwell for our first pick - because the club wants him (from reports) and its looks about the right number #8 with maybe a swap of a later pick or two in our favor.

Zac Williams - free agent

Peter Wright - future 2nd round pick or 2nd rounder if we can secure one in a trade? Not getting a game but huge upside IMO. Still young and worth the punt. If he develops imagine Marshall, King & Wright forward ruck combination.

Retire - Hnnebery (please) free up cash for a push at FA and retention of players performing such as Steele.

Trades: Dunstan & 3rd round pick to Essendon for their 2nd round pick?
Like it Joff but I hear RCD? is the other the club liked ...some suggest Zach is smallish for a mid...but if it’s
Free Agent...

Throw in a Billings to draw out a high DP and we take that to the bank also..for mine

“Yeah….nah””
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

There was a segment last night on Footy Classified where they were looking at the GWS list and analysing who might go and who might stay based on salary cap pressures. They also played a grab from Leon Cameron who mentioned that the club is confident that Zac will stay. Leon said he’d like to hang on to Zac and see Williams play all his career at the one club.

The showed the players coming out of contract and they reckon that in the past when the coach or the club has made statements about ‘keeping’ a player they usually end up signing and staying. In other words, if they have made positive statements about Zac, perhaps he is a player that they want on their list and are willing to sort out a deal to keep him.

They talked about their recent track record of trying to hang on to 5-6 stars and they’ve made sure they’ve kept them with generous offers and long term contracts. If Williams is offered good money then someone already contracted or coming off contract soon may put up for a trade. The one that they suggested may be tradable would be Kelly. They reckon they may get 2 first rounders for him this year while he’s on contract rather than wait until the end of 2021 and risk him moving via Free Agency

I’d love to have Caldwell...or Williams...but Kelly would be a dream come true :D

Are we any realistic chance? Did we stuff ourselves up by mortgaging the farm on Hill?

SunnyErnest
Club Player

My sister-in-law's brother works as a pert time masseur for the Saints and he reckons it's a done deal. Zac will sign a 5 year deal with the Saints at $800k with a clause for a 6th year.

Who is StoneCold??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

SunnyErnest wrote: Thu 03 Sep 2020 1:22pm My sister-in-law's brother works as a pert time masseur for the Saints and he reckons it's a done deal. Zac will sign a 5 year deal with the Saints at $800k with a clause for a 6th year.
The girl who walks my aunty’s dog knows a friend of a casual kitchen hand at Moorabbin and she says the same thing.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Thu 03 Sep 2020 9:52am There was a segment last night on Footy Classified where they were looking at the GWS list and analysing who might go and who might stay based on salary cap pressures. They also played a grab from Leon Cameron who mentioned that the club is confident that Zac will stay. Leon said he’d like to hang on to Zac and see Williams play all his career at the one club.

The showed the players coming out of contract and they reckon that in the past when the coach or the club has made statements about ‘keeping’ a player they usually end up signing and staying. In other words, if they have made positive statements about Zac, perhaps he is a player that they want on their list and are willing to sort out a deal to keep him.

They talked about their recent track record of trying to hang on to 5-6 stars and they’ve made sure they’ve kept them with generous offers and long term contracts. If Williams is offered good money then someone already contracted or coming off contract soon may put up for a trade. The one that they suggested may be tradable would be Kelly. They reckon they may get 2 first rounders for him this year while he’s on contract rather than wait until the end of 2021 and risk him moving via Free Agency

I’d love to have Caldwell...or Williams...but Kelly would be a dream come true :D

Are we any realistic chance? Did we stuff ourselves up by mortgaging the farm on Hill?
I am one of the few that doesnt rate Kelly (particular if they want 2 1st rounders). Several years ago when we couldnt get anyone over the line then he would have been a god sent, but he is not the player we need now. He plays too outside and far too injury prone. He hasnt played a full season for some time now and we dont need another injury prone player on big $$$.

Would much rather go with developing players like Caldwell or Collier-Dawson, and remain relevant in the drafts.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Kelly can play inside. He can win his own ball if the coach asks him to

He is worth 2 first rounders...if we had them. What we do have is Ross, Webster, Dunstan, and Billings and throw in any drafts picks that we can offer.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Thu 03 Sep 2020 2:44pm
Scollop wrote: Thu 03 Sep 2020 9:52am There was a segment last night on Footy Classified where they were looking at the GWS list and analysing who might go and who might stay based on salary cap pressures. They also played a grab from Leon Cameron who mentioned that the club is confident that Zac will stay. Leon said he’d like to hang on to Zac and see Williams play all his career at the one club.

I am one of the few that doesnt rate Kelly (particular if they want 2 1st rounders). Several years ago when we couldnt get anyone over the line then he would have been a god sent, but he is not the player we need now. He plays too outside and far too injury prone. He hasnt played a full season for some time now and we dont need another injury prone player on big $$$.

Would much rather go with developing players like Caldwell or Collier-Dawson, and remain relevant in the drafts.
Agree.

Go for Zach Williams and the 2 you mentioned above.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Thu 03 Sep 2020 2:51pm Kelly can play inside. He can win his own ball if the coach asks him to

He is worth 2 first rounders...if we had them. What we do have is Ross, Webster, Dunstan, and Billings and throw in any drafts picks that we can offer.
He is a good player but not what our list build needs right now IMO. He hasnt played a full season since 2017 and I would much rather trade our 1st this year for Calwell get back something and also trade in RCD and hold next years 1st rounder. Our list is not in a position where adding one player alone will win us a flag, thats St Kilda of old thinking.

We still need another dominant tall forward and a ruckman/forward to replace Paddy, plus another goal kicking small or medium to replace Kent/Lonie/Hind. Giving up 2 x 1st for one player now wont win us a flag in the long term.

SunnyErnest
Club Player

st.byron wrote: Thu 03 Sep 2020 1:46pm
SunnyErnest wrote: Thu 03 Sep 2020 1:22pm My sister-in-law's brother works as a pert time masseur for the Saints and he reckons it's a done deal. Zac will sign a 5 year deal with the Saints at $800k with a clause for a 6th year.
The girl who walks my aunty’s dog knows a friend of a casual kitchen hand at Moorabbin and she says the same thing.
It's obviously true then. Can someone post the GIF It's happening?

Who is StoneCold??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Thu 03 Sep 2020 2:54pm
Impatient Sainter wrote: Thu 03 Sep 2020 2:44pm

Agree.

Go for Zach Williams and the 2 you mentioned above.
Plus 1. Selling the farm for a big fish puts all the eggs in one basket. Would rather a school of dangerous sharks than one white pointer.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

SunnyErnest wrote: Thu 03 Sep 2020 3:25pm
st.byron wrote: Thu 03 Sep 2020 1:46pm
It's obviously true then. Can someone post the GIF It's happening?
Perhaps ask Ted. He might have it.

longtimesaint
Club Player

What is the situation with Caldwell as he is not in GWS team and not on the injury list

One year will be our year
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

longtimesaint wrote: Thu 03 Sep 2020 8:55pm What is the situation with Caldwell as he is not in GWS team and not on the injury list
Been busy looking for a house near Linton St. :wink:

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
longtimesaint
Club Player

If he’s not getting a game with GWS would it cost our first round pick?

One year will be our year
stkfc1
Club Player

longtimesaint wrote: Thu 03 Sep 2020 9:24pm If he’s not getting a game with GWS would it cost our first round pick?
GWS want to keep him, so yes they'll ask for a first rounder.
I'd hope the club would be pushing for their 2nd round pick also or a swap of later picks, to sweeten the deal.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Anyone notice the unusual friendly pat on the shoulder of Zach Williams by Lonie in the last quarter
I wonder if he is on his way down to Moorabin

Nee!
SpooferMcNicol

Hope not, not exactly the player we are after off the vision tonight. But who can tell if the GWS players were going full strength? Or maybe in self preservation mode. Seems like there was a few of them.