Things I don't get

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Things I don't get

Taken together, from these incidents I don't understand where the AFL is coming from:

Ben Long bumps player Darcy in a contest for the ball - 3 matches, Darcy plays following week;
Hawkins - a chap with form - elbows opponent in the head, fine (as in AFL levies) Hawkins plays on with impunity, encouraged to push defenders out;
Tiger Lynch buries Lions player's head in turf chinese burn style - fine; shortly thereafter hits two Suns players in same game, fine, fine - one hit may have resulted in key turning point in the game because no free was paid (AFL shrugs and notes all penalties are halved and are clearly a deterrent, except for the ones imposed on player Lynch who is a recidivist free to carry on with that behaviour [angry boys will be boys] and what harm can a punch to the guts cause anyway if you don't play for Carlton).
Newnes kicks a game winning goal from a kick that was obviously not his - sillies those umpires the AFL says, a mistake anyone who was not at the game could have made;
Player Carslisle makes half hearted feints at hand of player Rampe that has been newly plated together and covered with a wicket keepers glove and used as a weapon against young Rising Star King. Fine. Player Rampe and his club are not fined for taking same plated and gloved hand into several games which results in serious complications and now a cancellation of the rest of the season for him. No fine, no tut tutting about duties of care. But that Carslisle , he is a trouble maker for the game.

The AFL is taking the piss, isn't it.

Munga
Saintsational Legend

Re: Things I don't get

Absolutely, it's BS. They made an example of Long, brought up his school footy record, it was a lynch mob. From the suspensions this season, Long was actually playing the game, in a contest, and a ruckman stumbles head first into his back, as if Long saw that coming. Longy has done the same manoeuvre four or five times this year to the benefit of the team.

Just about every other incident this season has received a fine. Unsporting incidents, off the ball, whacks from behind, multiple whacks, burying heads, elbows... dirty s*** and nothing to do with the game, but it's all fair as far as the AFL is concerned. It's truly staggering, had Longy instead whacked Darcy from behind 100m off the ball Long would've played the next match. The AFL tribunal is FULL OF s***. Seriously, who are they answerable to? Because if they aren't incompetent, they are corrupt. Well, maybe both.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Tue 18 Aug 2020 11:55pm Taken together, from these incidents I don't understand where the AFL is coming from:

Ben Long bumps player Darcy in a contest for the ball - 3 matches, Darcy plays following week;
Hawkins - a chap with form - elbows opponent in the head, fine (as in AFL levies) Hawkins plays on with impunity, encouraged to push defenders out;
Tiger Lynch buries Lions player's head in turf chinese burn style - fine; shortly thereafter hits two Suns players in same game, fine, fine - one hit may have resulted in key turning point in the game because no free was paid (AFL shrugs and notes all penalties are halved and are clearly a deterrent, except for the ones imposed on player Lynch who is a recidivist free to carry on with that behaviour [angry boys will be boys] and what harm can a punch to the guts cause anyway if you don't play for Carlton).
Newnes kicks a game winning goal from a kick that was obviously not his - sillies those umpires the AFL says, a mistake anyone who was not at the game could have made;
Player Carslisle makes half hearted feints at hand of player Rampe that has been newly plated together and covered with a wicket keepers glove and used as a weapon against young Rising Star King. Fine. Player Rampe and his club are not fined for taking same plated and gloved hand into several games which results in serious complications and now a cancellation of the rest of the season for him. No fine, no tut tutting about duties of care. But that Carslisle , he is a trouble maker for the game.

The AFL is taking the piss, isn't it.
The Saints are the AFL scapegoat. Always have been and always will be.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

The "grading" system simply doesn't work. It creates more subjective anomalies than it purports to solve. Instead of the one action being looked at, they divide that into 3 subjective levels with riders such as "the spirit of the game" or "the look". Why not just call it "the vibe".

If this system was so good it would be used in a court of law but of course it is not, each case taken and argued on its own merit. Only once a guilty version is reached do priors come into it. (Please ignore penalties handed down by the judicial system in this argument, that's for another discussion.)

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

It’s not the AFLs fault if the tribunal or the MRO has a soft spot for the ‘stars’ of the game who could potentially attract a huge audience for Channel 7 and Foxtel

It’s not the AFL’s fault if Christian has a soft spot for Collingwood who have blockbuster crowds and audiences for Channel 7 and Foxtel and who make a lot of money for the AFL

It’s not the AFL’s fault if the umpires make decisions that could potentially create controversy and clickbait and free marketing on t.v, radio and in the papers which assists all of the AFL’s media partners and in turn helps the AFL secure lucrative contract renewals

It all happens randomly and coincidently...obviously!

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Munga wrote: Wed 19 Aug 2020 12:22am Absolutely, it's BS. They made an example of Long, brought up his school footy record, it was a lynch mob. From the suspensions this season, Long was actually playing the game, in a contest, and a ruckman stumbles head first into his back, as if Long saw that coming. Longy has done the same manoeuvre four or five times this year to the benefit of the team.

Just about every other incident this season has received a fine. Unsporting incidents, off the ball, whacks from behind, multiple whacks, burying heads, elbows... dirty s*** and nothing to do with the game, but it's all fair as far as the AFL is concerned. It's truly staggering, had Longy instead whacked Darcy from behind 100m off the ball Long would've played the next match. The AFL tribunal is FULL OF s***. Seriously, who are they answerable to? Because if they aren't incompetent, they are corrupt. Well, maybe both.
Both, IMHFO.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Wed 19 Aug 2020 11:20am It’s not the AFLs fault if the tribunal or the MRO has a soft spot for the ‘stars’ of the game who could potentially attract a huge audience for Channel 7 and Foxtel

It’s not the AFL’s fault if Christian has a soft spot for Collingwood and attract huge crowds and audiences for Channel 7 and Foxtel and the commercial radio stations And who make a lot of money for the AFL

It’s not the AFL’s fault if the umpires make decisions that could potentially create controversy and clickbait and free marketing on t.v, radio and in the papers which assists all of the AFL’s media partners and and in turn helps the AFL secure lucrative contract renewals

It all happens randomly and coincidently...obviously

You get the picture
Exaxtly. The AFL are so lucky to have a rusted on cult following where most punters don't see what you and I see. Take this year for example, the quality of footy has been woeful and the integrity of results has been non existent but we don't care.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Speaking of things I don't get.

Sanctorum
Club Player

Secret Kiel wrote: Wed 19 Aug 2020 11:24am
Exaxtly. The AFL are so lucky to have a rusted on cult following where most punters don't see what you and I see. Take this year for example, the quality of footy has been woeful and the integrity of results has been non existent but we don't care.
I foreswore that I would resist the temptation to respond to your incredibly contradictory comments S*K*, so I won't, but OMG you come up with some pearlers :roll:

Was tempted to ask you what nom-de-plume you used in "the halcyon days" to which you referred on another topic today, as you have only been on this forum since October 2019, but I'll leave that for others to ask:

"by Secret Kiel » Wed 19 Aug 2020 10:02am

They were the halcyon days of SS.

I miss P66."

"To do good is noble. To tell others to do good is even nobler and much less trouble.."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

When is the AFL Commission hearing to determine the correct result of the Freo-Blues game taking place?

I can't wait for the uproar when they take the 4 points off Carlton and award them to Freo.
After all, the precedent is there - the umpire was incorrect in allowing the wrong player to take the kick from the wrong spot which affected the result of the game.

CarlD
Club Player

Mr Magic wrote: Wed 19 Aug 2020 12:36pm When is the AFL Commission hearing to determine the correct result of the Freo-Blues game taking place?

I can't wait for the uproar when they take the 4 points off Carlton and award them to Freo.
After all, the precedent is there - the umpire was incorrect in allowing the wrong player to take the kick from the wrong spot which affected the result of the game.
I think you might be waiting forever MM :lol:

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

CarlD wrote: Wed 19 Aug 2020 12:41pm
Mr Magic wrote: Wed 19 Aug 2020 12:36pm When is the AFL Commission hearing to determine the correct result of the Freo-Blues game taking place?

I think you might be waiting forever MM :lol:
But why?
If the umpire not hearing a siren is enough to alter the result of a game,
then why is an umpire mistaking who should take a kick and where from after the siren not?

Surely the integrity of results need to be maintained?
and
where's the public outcry from the media?

Secret Kiel
Club Player

Sanctorum wrote: Wed 19 Aug 2020 12:32pm
I foreswore that I would resist the temptation to respond to your incredibly contradictory comments S*K*, so I won't, but OMG you come up with some pearlers :roll:

Was tempted to ask you what nom-de-plume you used in "the halcyon days" to which you referred on another topic today, as you have only been on this forum since October 2019, but I'll leave that for others to ask:

I miss P66."
I'm not sure 'foreswore' is an official word in any recognised dictionary but I get your drift. Hey but if it was a proper word, what would be the opposite meaning...afterswore?

In regards to your question I was a long time reader and only decided to join in October becasue I felt the board needed more alternate facts and ignorant views deeply rooted in zero knowledge of how a football club operates. That plus I felt it was fertile ground for my loose sense humour.

CarlD
Club Player

Mr Magic wrote: Wed 19 Aug 2020 12:44pm
and
If I were a Freo supporter I would be unhappy. From the snippets of the match I saw Freo seemed to get the raw end of the umpiring.

However, it would open a can of worms to try and adjust a result for umpiring errors within a game - do umpiring errors at the end count more than those in the first quarter that could also have affected scoring? Once the final siren is acknowledged that's it I'm afraid. As in this case all you will get from the AFL is a "sorry, we goofed". All part and parcel of the game as hard as that is to take at times ie the 2009 Grand Final.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Wed 19 Aug 2020 1:58pm

I miss P66."
I'm not sure 'foreswore' is an official word in any recognised dictionary but I get your drift. Hey but if it was a proper word, what would be the opposite meaning...afterswore?

In regards to your question I was a long time reader and only decided to join in October becasue I felt the board needed more alternate facts and ignorant views deeply rooted in zero knowledge of how a football club operates. That plus I felt it was fertile ground for my loose sense humour.
I once more have to call bulls*** on that.

You have given yourself away so now come clean and list all the nics you have posted under before. :roll: :roll:

I could hazard a guess at a couple.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

saynta wrote: Wed 19 Aug 2020 2:07pm

I miss P66."

You have given yourself away so now come clean and list all the nics you have posted under before. :roll: :roll:

You are already wrong then. But that's ok. It's you...Stinger. Remeber when P66 used to call you the Janitor because you used to masquerade as a lawyer.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Wed 19 Aug 2020 2:15pm

I miss P66."

You are already wrong then. But that's ok. It's you.
I am never wrong about such things, never,

Secret Kiel
Club Player

saynta wrote: Wed 19 Aug 2020 2:18pm

I miss P66."

Fair enough.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

CarlD wrote: Wed 19 Aug 2020 2:04pm
Mr Magic wrote: Wed 19 Aug 2020 12:44pm
and
If I were a Freo supporter I would be unhappy. From the snippets of the match I saw Freo seemed to get the raw end of the umpiring.

However, it would open a can of worms to try and adjust a result for umpiring errors within a game - do umpiring errors at the end count more than those in the first quarter that could also have affected scoring? Once the final siren is acknowledged that's it I'm afraid. As in this case all you will get from the AFL is a "sorry, we goofed". All part and parcel of the game as hard as that is to take at times ie the 2009 Grand Final.
Apparently not in 'Sirengate'. So why not now?

Kevin07

You can also say they made an example of Elijah Taylor when people at Collingwood and Richmond have broken the rules.

The Handball Champion in the Southern Hemisphere
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

The difference with Sirengate was that they could determine the exact point in which the game should have been stopped and essentially edit the rest out in a way they viewed as fair

It’s harder see a clear outcome here.

The umps call were the umps call in terms of the deliberate and down the field..
What do you do with the Newnes kick though?

Someone has to take it, you can’t determine whether they would or would not also kick it and you can’t do it again.

Saying the wrong person kicked it therefore it doesn’t count at all seems more unfair IMO then the wrong person kicking it.

What’s the alternate outcome that should happen?

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Wed 19 Aug 2020 3:14pm The difference with Sirengate was that they could determine the exact point in which the game should have been stopped and essentially edit the rest out in a way they viewed as fair

It’s harder see a clear outcome here.

The umps call were the umps call in terms of the deliberate and down the field..
What do you do with the Newnes kick though?

Someone has to take it, you can’t determine whether they would or would not also kick it and you can’t do it again.

Saying the wrong person kicked it therefore it doesn’t count at all seems more unfair IMO then the wrong person kicking it.

What’s the alternate outcome that should happen?
Well to be consistent,
Take the Newnes kick off him and declare Freo the winner.
They took the Baker point off St Kilda when the rule was clear cut - the game ends when the umpire signals it (not when the siren blows).
The AFL Commission has shown it can ignore the rule book when it wants to.
Why not this time?

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I kind of agree with you in principle MM but two wrongs don’t make a right either.
Of the two scenarios, Newnes incorrectly taking the kick as per the umpires call feels more correct to me then an awarded free kick not being taken

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Wed 19 Aug 2020 3:25pm I kind of agree with you in principle MM but two wrongs don’t make a right either.
Of the two scenarios, Newnes incorrectly taking the kick as per the umpires call feels more correct to me then an awarded free kick not being taken
I just want consistency.
I'll cop bad decisions as long as they're consistently applied.
What I dislike is the inconsistency of so much about AFL.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

saynta wrote: Wed 19 Aug 2020 2:18pm

I miss P66."

Never is a very long time......

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!