The knock on Steele’s attitude

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Re: The knock on Steele’s attitude

Bytel and even Dunstan will help ( he could be played off the bench, if needs be).

Secret Kiel
Club Player

samoht wrote: Mon 17 Aug 2020 10:32am My only concern with Steele is that his ultra physical game style may end up curtailing his career.

Just as Armo’s battering ram style took its toll ... Hannebery is another example of this, as is Hamill.

We need another big-bodied physical type or two to take some of the brunt, and more of our players to share the load ... and maybe ask Steele to ease off a bit on the tackling, if anything, and concentrate more on just getting the ball.
Enter a fit Hanners...for at least the next 2 to 3 years.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

freely wrote: Mon 17 Aug 2020 4:52am I've never read anyone on here knocking Steele's attitude. To be charitable, perhaps it's just the title of the thread that's wrong and the op wants to discuss whether he should be captain.
As I said a crap thread. No one, absolutely no one to my knowledge anyway has questioned Steele's attitude. I know the young man where obviously the poster who started this thread, does not.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote: Mon 17 Aug 2020 9:29am
skeptic wrote: Sun 16 Aug 2020 8:39pm Is it really a thing?

It’s been alluded to on this forum but I’ve never heard the actual concerns laid out. Something about him being too laid back.

From where I sit, he has been the stand out player of our team this season. It’s been a pleasure to watch his development under Ratten as he has risen from a workman like midfielder into the elite bracket.

One of his worst games of the season today and he still walked away with 21 touches and a tackle.

Reckon come season’s end, it’s time for him to assume the mantle of Captain. No knock on Geary (not what this is about) but Steele is the best player on this list and is leading from the front each and every week.
Could you please substantiate your position by at least posting one comment made by another poster that questioned his attitude or commitment? I certainly cannot recall one but then again I don’t read every post!
He won't because he can't. Mischievous thread imho.

johnearljames
Club Player

saynta wrote: Mon 17 Aug 2020 11:41am

It’s been alluded to on this forum but I’ve never heard the actual concerns laid out. Something about him being too laid back.

From where I sit, he has been the stand out player of our team this season. It’s been a pleasure to watch his development under Ratten as he has risen from a workman like midfielder into the elite bracket.

One of his worst games of the season today and he still walked away with 21 touches and a tackle.

Reckon come season’s end, it’s time for him to assume the mantle of Captain. No knock on Geary (not what this is about) but Steele is the best player on this list and is leading from the front each and every week.
Could you please substantiate your position by at least posting one comment made by another poster that questioned his attitude or commitment? I certainly cannot recall one but then again I don’t read every post!
He won't because he can't. Mischievous thread imho.
Yep. How can you not like Steele. The bloke bleeds every week for his club. He is second in the AFL for total tackles but he has an attitude problem apparantly.

Want to watch the most boring and devious thing on television and probably in mankind's history, then tune into a daily live press conference at 11am.
SaintDippa
Club Player

Looking fwd to Steele vs. Neale. Off a 7 day break will be ready.

samoht
Saintsational Legend

He might be laid-back and easy going off the field - is that what skeptic was getting at?
Last edited by samoht on Mon 17 Aug 2020 11:55am, edited 1 time in total.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote: Mon 17 Aug 2020 11:54am He might be laid-back off the field - is that what skeptic was getting at?
Who would f****** know?

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Almost impossible as a supporter to know who would be a leader in the group and captain material.

Harvey was famously a follow me leader by example as opposed to being the speaker and get your arm around type of leader that we read Geary is reported to be. Geray sounds like a guy who'll be a very good coach some time in the future.

From playing style only and the way they lead and give instruction on the field I'd suggest the following candidates for leadership group and captain in no particular order.

You'd think this is Gearys last year and Ross to me doesn't look an inspiration leader.
Comes across as a great guy and role model, but there is little fire in him IMO.

1. Steele
2. Howard
3. Wilkie
4. Membrey
5. Billings
6. Marshall
7. Ross (only due to him being VC)

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Sanctorum
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Mon 17 Aug 2020 10:22am

Unfortunately I cannot... didn’t record it nor do I remember who.
When the prospect of changing captains has been raised before (as it often is), it has been suggested that he’s not captaincy material and that he is either too laidback or not a leader.
Not having any inside knowledge myself, I was just asking the question
I understand your dilemma skeptic, and decry posters who want to nail you to the cross for providing a misleading heading, when in essence you at no time gave credibility to what you recalled (right or wrong) having seen mentioned on the forum. In reality, you went on to praise Jack Steele, which many of your respondents failed to note!

Time to move on....

"To do good is noble. To tell others to do good is even nobler and much less trouble.."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Mon 17 Aug 2020 12:23pm

When the prospect of changing captains has been raised before (as it often is), it has been suggested that he’s not captaincy material and that he is either too laidback or not a leader.
I understand your dilemma skeptic, and decry posters who want to nail you to the cross for providing a misleading heading, when in essence you at no time gave credibility to what you recalled (right or wrong) having seen mentioned on the forum. In reality, you went on to praise Jack Steele, which many of your respondents failed to note!

Time to move on....
Called damning with faint praise. Totally mischievous and as I said a crap thread. :roll:

samoht
Saintsational Legend

Why "knock", though ?
Skeptic's phrasing is wrong (sorry skeptic) - and you're either a leader and it's in your nature to lead and to inspire others with words, a people person or you're not (unless you can criticise Steele for being quietly spoken and private).
No shame either way - being a leader or not.

Steele inspires on the field, anyway, with his actions - and maybe you can complement that with someone who can inspire with their words?
Last edited by samoht on Mon 17 Aug 2020 12:37pm, edited 2 times in total.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Mon 17 Aug 2020 12:23pm

Time to move on....
Thanks Sanctorum

The carry on from my little stalkers is disappointing but not unexpected as evidenced by the calls of slander which is both ridiculous and trolling IMO. I wish those that say they ignore me would just do it rather than obsess over my every post.

End of the day though, I have only myself to blame for providing the ammunition. Still a better discussion then the mundane articles that some spam this board with for 2-3 comments

saynta
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote: Mon 17 Aug 2020 12:28pm Why "knock", though ?
My point exactly. Why the f*** would someone post such crap about the guy who is probably streets ahead in our B and F. f****** unreal and other posters can "decry" me as much as they want. Outrageous imfho. :twisted: And in saying so what does the OP do? Personally insult me as expected. :D :)

I go to extreme lenghts never to respond to that particular poster and have done so for years, but on this occasion a slur against a very fine young man was too offensive to ignore.
Last edited by saynta on Mon 17 Aug 2020 12:37pm, edited 1 time in total.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote: Mon 17 Aug 2020 12:28pm Why "knock", though ?
Skeptic's phrasing is wrong (sorry skeptic) - and you're either a leader and it's in your nature to lead and to inspire others with words, a people person or your not (unless you can criticise Steele for being quietly spoken and private).
No shame either way - being a leader or not.

Steele inspires on the field, anyway, with his actions - and maybe you can complement that with someone who can inspire with their words?
All fair enough. It’s like I said above... I usually throw a few talking points in to most threads I create and have read that here before over the last few months.
End of the day, the correct expression is bury the lead and that’s what I’ve done.
As noted in the OP, personally I reckon the time has come for him to be Captain. Best player on the list IMO

samoht
Saintsational Legend

You certainly buried the lead, skeptic ... and got our attention.

I attended a motivational speech, once, with Bryce Courtenay as keynote speaker (around the time he got his first book - the Power of One - accepted by a publisher), who started his speech with "bastards."

Everyone stopped talking and paid full attention after that.

Mischievous/prankish at best, but effective.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Someone mentioned Robert Harvey. I call and raise you...what about Aaron Hamill? Both didn't huff and puff and use a lot of words when they were captain. I think Steele might have similar personality traits.

Harves and Sammy could change a game with their impact on field. Both good leaders and very good captains.

I think Jack Steele will represent the Saints honourably and will continue to improve his game and lead by example.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Mon 17 Aug 2020 2:29pm Someone mentioned Robert Harvey. I call and raise you...what about Aaron Hamill? Both didn't huff and puff and use a lot of words when they were captain. I think Steele might have similar personality traits.

Harves and Sammy could change a game with their impact on field. Both good leaders and very good captains.

I think Jack Steele will represent the Saints honourably and will continue to improve his game and lead by example.
I fully agree with all three of your comments, but Jack who is as hard as nails would be a fine captain

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

Definitely Captain material as are a couple of others. A Captain has to have lots of Traits and Jack has them.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

... on one hand it reads like you are baiting and trying to start a flame war which wouldn't surprise many, and on the other hand it reads like you are trying to bait and start a flame war.
it’d certainly surprise me !!

‘starting’ flame wars is not Skeptics mo

must be another reason

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote: Mon 17 Aug 2020 2:58pm Definitely Captain material as are a couple of others. A Captain has to have lots of Traits and Jack has them.
Ah, thanks tony74, the voice of knowledge and reason. Makes a huge difference and should put an end to any nasty suggestions otherwise. :wink: :wink: :D :)

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

given you dont read every post
who dobbed this thread?
and which rule does it breach?

Seeya
saynta
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote: Mon 17 Aug 2020 4:46pm

given you dont read every post
who dobbed this thread?
and which rule does it breach?
The mod is a poster as well. Isnt he allowed to ask a perfectly reasonable question..?

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

bingo

Seeya
saynta
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote: Mon 17 Aug 2020 5:04pmbingo
I haven't reported this thread. If you are suggestion that I have, then you are dead wrong.