The Full Game - Q1 - Q4 Impact Scores v Gold Coast

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

DownAtTheJunction
Club Player

Re: The Full Game - Q1 - Q4 Impact Scores v Gold Coast

Scollop wrote: Sun 09 Aug 2020 7:13am I watched the replay yesterday and just cross referenced your top vote getters with the action. Hind, Hill, and Marshall surprised me with their efficiency and work rate

You were spot on with most of the others too. Brilliant work DownAt The Junction
Thank you, Scollop. I am always interested in comments from those who are able to do a second review. Hill was very good and no doubt enjoyed being 'tag free'. Marshall is just a very strong man. Hind was the one who surprised me. He is a rare type of player who gives a lot of energy to the team. He does a lot more than the kicks he gets.

DownAtTheJunction
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Sun 09 Aug 2020 7:47am Quick question

When a guy like Hunter balks or side steps and then sells a dummy in heavy traffic how many impact points does that action alone score,

and if he is the initial chain in a scoring opportunity would that give him a bonus impact score of any value...especially if it was an efficient disposal and not just a mung
These are the tough questions. I try to weigh it up against the value of other acts, the difficulty of the action, the importance to the team, and pressure. He certainly received significant extra weighting when he 'hopped' over several grounded players, avoided others and thumped it away from danger.
But in the end Impact Ratings are subjective. Some 'plays' I might watch 6 times (or even more with Butler's run and goal) ... especially those that have multiple components.

DownAtTheJunction
Club Player

Ghost Like wrote: Sat 08 Aug 2020 11:18pm
shanegrambeau wrote: Sat 08 Aug 2020 11:13pm How much game time did Sinclair get? Anyone know?
72% according to AFL stats.
Which was the 4th lowest TOG for the Saints. Thankfully Dan Butler was on the ground 92%

Moods
Saintsational Legend

I like it. Still think that Butler was our best player but that’s all subjective. Very accurate as to who played well.
Hind played very well and the scores are reflective of that

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Loving your work down at the Junction. In fact, I've greater respect for your summary that any in the media.

Perhaps I have a personal bias, as your assessment is closely aligned to my own intuitive judgement.

It's important to acknowledge that your measurements are based in Impact. As such a defender, tagger or lock down player may do a fantastic job for his coach, but not necessarily have much measurable impact.

Clearly Butler's impact, particularity in the 4th quarter was off the scale, and it's no surprise he rated on top. When voting on the Saintational forum, I rated Billings, Steel and Marshall for their overall performance, not simply impact.

Thanks again for your outstanding contribution to this forum.

DownAtTheJunction
Club Player

Toy Saint wrote: Sun 09 Aug 2020 7:28pm Loving your work down at the Junction. In fact, I've greater respect for your summary that any in the media.

Perhaps I have a personal bias, as your assessment is closely aligned to my own intuitive judgement.

It's important to acknowledge that your measurements are based in Impact. As such a defender, tagger or lock down player may do a fantastic job for his coach, but not necessarily have much measurable impact.

Clearly Butler's impact, particularity in the 4th quarter was off the scale, and it's no surprise he rated on top. When voting on the Saintational forum, I rated Billings, Steel and Marshall for their overall performance, not simply impact.

Thanks again for your outstanding contribution to this forum.
What a wonderful message to read, Toy Saint. Working on data analysis is such a challenging task. I do it because I want saintsational to be the very best of footy forums where members can engage in intelligent discussions about the team we love. How refreshing it is to see members being complimentary to one another – after all we are supporters.
For what it is worth I had Butler a clear best but without the irrepressible Steele we would have lost. I do take a ‘hit’ on the scores for our backs. Wilkie and Carlisle (and Clark late) played ripping games but I can’t give them points when the action is somewhere else. Perhaps it’s best to read the scores by position ( mids, forwards and backs).
Like us all on here, I am very proud of what the club has achieved this year. Go Saints!