Decision time for the AFL

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Re: Decision time for the AFL

Secret Kiel wrote: Wed 05 Aug 2020 8:26am
CQ SAINT wrote: Tue 04 Aug 2020 11:02pm

The game, as it is played in the premier competition, the AFL, is constantly evolving. Just about every decade since the games beginning has seen changes which broaden the boundaries of comparison from one era to the next.
In my lifetime, the game has become unrecognizable from the game I was taught at 5 years of age.
My dear dad yearned for the return of the drop kick, the coat hanger and the smack in the ear, even when watching Riewoldt and co. He would ofyen sit in his shed and listen to the game on the radio on 3AW, forgoing the 42inch plasma, action replays and step by step analysis.
He remembered not being able to get into suburban grounds, due to sell out games, as a regular thing and not having a TV to watch it on.
Even the discussion whether the MCG should be the home of the GF is topical. Should it be at night, should it be in Adelaide, Sydney or Perth. The game has evolved well beyond the confines of it origins, it traditions and it will continue to evolve.
I'm sure a few generations have declared they will never watch it again because it has become so diluted by finances and progress.
Those poor fans from the Lakeside and the boys and girls from Fitzroy. Gone but not forgotten.
Yet the game grows, the revenue grows, membership grows.
You have a right to be nostalgic and you also have a right to your views on the validity of this year but it doesn't make you right. It just makes you read like a whining fool.
I'm not sure why you continue along the lines you do, but I find it amusing and in the grander scheme of things, insignificant. It will be what it will be. Try to enjoy it in the moment and please consider trying to stop bringing everybody down, but honestly, I hope you don't. I find it entertaining, provocative and interesting.
As I say, this year has been one of the most challenging years in the history of mankind and so it is easier to pretend situations are normal. This is made much, much easier by a rusted-on and very gullible audience, AND an influential organisation with one of the best PR machines in existence that is supported by a cottage media industry that sings to whatever song sheet put in front of them for their own survival and prosperity.

A thread drift now: I heard somewhere that the Demons started discussing possibly moving on the head coach, however the AFL might not allow it to happen due to this administration style managment that the AFL has imposed and the cost saving measures that are being dictated. If this is true it is going to be a facinating space to watch over the next 6 to 12 months as the recession bites harder.
Your listening to the wrong people. The Demons just sold an asset, a hotel worth approx. $10m. They are said to be almost clear of any debt to the AFL and appear determined raise whatever revenue necessary to run their own administration.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

CQ SAINT wrote: Wed 05 Aug 2020 9:14am

The game, as it is played in the premier competition, the AFL, is constantly evolving. Just about every decade since the games beginning has seen changes which broaden the boundaries of comparison from one era to the next.
In my lifetime, the game has become unrecognizable from the game I was taught at 5 years of age.
My dear dad yearned for the return of the drop kick, the coat hanger and the smack in the ear, even when watching Riewoldt and co. He would ofyen sit in his shed and listen to the game on the radio on 3AW, forgoing the 42inch plasma, action replays and step by step analysis.
He remembered not being able to get into suburban grounds, due to sell out games, as a regular thing and not having a TV to watch it on.
Even the discussion whether the MCG should be the home of the GF is topical. Should it be at night, should it be in Adelaide, Sydney or Perth. The game has evolved well beyond the confines of it origins, it traditions and it will continue to evolve.
I'm sure a few generations have declared they will never watch it again because it has become so diluted by finances and progress.
Those poor fans from the Lakeside and the boys and girls from Fitzroy. Gone but not forgotten.
You have a right to be nostalgic and you also have a right to your views on the validity of this year but it doesn't make you right. It just makes you read like a whining fool.
I'm not sure why you continue along the lines you do, but I find it amusing and in the grander scheme of things, insignificant. It will be what it will be. Try to enjoy it in the moment and please consider trying to stop bringing everybody down, but honestly, I hope you don't. I find it entertaining, provocative and interesting.
As I say, this year has been one of the most challenging years in the history of mankind and so it is easier to pretend situations are normal. This is made much, much easier by a rusted-on and very gullible audience, AND an influential organisation with one of the best PR machines in existence that is supported by a cottage media industry that sings to whatever song sheet put in front of them for their own survival and prosperity.

A thread drift now: I heard somewhere that the Demons started discussing possibly moving on the head coach, however the AFL might not allow it to happen due to this administration style managment that the AFL has imposed and the cost saving measures that are being dictated. If this is true it is going to be a facinating space to watch over the next 6 to 12 months as the recession bites harder.
Your listening to the wrong people. The Demons just sold an asset, a hotel worth approx. $10m. They are said to be almost clear of any debt to the AFL and appear determined raise whatever revenue necessary to run their own administration.
The Headline is "Melbourne couldn't afford to payout Goodwin if they decided to part ways with coach Simon Goodwin. "

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... af35a94383

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Wed 05 Aug 2020 9:16am

The Headline is "Melbourne couldn't afford to payout Goodwin if they decided to part ways with coach Simon Goodwin. "

Now you are happy to quote the happy clapper media because it suits your agenda.

takeaway
Club Player

That pretty much nails it.

Some posters have misinterpreted the Karen meme, but even so, I don't think you will get anywhere because you appear to have stumbled into a "Best is Less" store.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Wed 05 Aug 2020 9:31am

Now you are happy to quote the happy clapper media because it suits your agenda.
:lol:

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Secret Kiel
Club Player

CQ SAINT wrote: Wed 05 Aug 2020 9:31am

Is my intel credible?

I have a keen interest in the administration of our club and the AFL, is that an agenda? I don't think it is, just my personal interest.

The world and our economy is changing dynamically-dramatically and professional sport is not immune, a lot of the signsicant impacts won't be understood by the wider fan base until this season is over and the media catches its breath and is able to provide insight. At the moment everyone involved in the industry is treading water just to survive this season by hopefully completing it and completing the cash flow cycle. That's the main game and understandably so.

Sanctorum
Club Player

There you go yet again SK - you say "enlighten" when charged with "polluting" forum discussions, and then you turn around and try to drive the discussion into a new direction. Surely if you want to raise a new subject wouldn't it be better to start a new topic??

When one door closes and another door opens, you are probably in prison..

Sometimes, someone unexpected comes into your life out of nowhere, makes your heart race, and changes you forever. We call those people cops.

My luck is like a bald guy who just won a comb.

Anon
Secret Kiel
Club Player

takeaway wrote: Wed 05 Aug 2020 9:48am

Some posters have misinterpreted the Karen meme, but even so, I don't think you will get anywhere because you appear to have stumbled into a "Best is Less" store.
"Best is Less" 🤣🤣🤣

Secret Kiel
Club Player

Sanctorum wrote: Wed 05 Aug 2020 10:33am

There you go yet again SK - you say "enlighten" when charged with "polluting" forum discussions, and then you turn around and try to drive the discussion into a new direction. Surely if you want to raise a new subject wouldn't it be better to start a new topic??
You struggle with the concept of forums huh?

Possibly an age thing but you do realise you started a conversation about integrity.

Maybe next time you start a conversation you should outline some strict guidlines about what can and can't be discussed and that you reserve the right to be the only poster who can spew out the same repetitive and boring junk ad nauseam.

At least try and make your junk sound like you haven't swollowed 100 years of Herald Sun editions.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Wed 05 Aug 2020 10:34am

"Best is Less" 🤣🤣🤣
This is entertainment. It's football. I don't derive my an income from it, in fact, supporting the Saints and my interest in AFL costs me several $1000's a year.
Now, if I did derive my income from it, there is no way I would want the season called off. I dare to say, the majority of AFL based employees who still have their jobs, feel the same.
So from there, it is what it is. There will be winners and losers and one team will win the GF. In this sense, there is no difference, there is just the entertainment factor.
The idea that a 'normal' season has any type of blueprint and all sections of the audience will walk away saying, 'that was a really authentic AFL season', is in my opinion, delusional. That type of rhetoric is just a result of the above mentioned marketing machine. In reality, you have a season and move on to the next.
Glued on? I'm a fourth generation die hard supporter of the Saints. My connection predates the football media, TV rights, and the AFL. In my house growing up, there were 2 non negotiable events. Going to church and going to the footy. I travel several thousands of kilometres a year to watch it with the wife and 3 kids in tow.
I'm not the one with the false sense of belonging. I know exactly what I am in for and it's more like, less, is better than none at all.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

CQ SAINT wrote: Wed 05 Aug 2020 11:02am
Secret Kiel wrote: Wed 05 Aug 2020 10:34am

"Best is Less" 🤣🤣🤣
This is entertainment. It's football. I don't derive my an income from it, in fact, supporting the Saints and my interest in AFL costs me several $1000's a year.
Now, if I did derive my income from it, there is no way I would want the season called off. I dare to say, the majority of AFL based employees who still have their jobs, feel the same.
So from there, it is what it is. There will be winners and losers and one team will win the GF. In this sense, there is no difference, there is just the entertainment factor.
The idea that a 'normal' season has any type of blueprint and all sections of the audience will walk away saying, 'that was a really authentic AFL season', is in my opinion, delusional. That type of rhetoric is just a result of the above mentioned marketing machine. In reality, you have a season and move on to the next.
Glued on? I'm a fourth generation die hard supporter of the Saints. My connection predates the football media, TV rights, and the AFL. In my house growing up, there were 2 non negotiable events. Going to church and going to the footy. I travel several thousands of kilometres a year to watch it with the wife and 3 kids in tow.
I'm not the one with the false sense of belonging. I know exactly what I am in for and it's more like, less, is better than none at all.
Fair enough.

Back on integrity, the elephant in the room is the gambling industry that feasts on the AFL community
and provides the AFL with a handsome kickback. Nothing to see there though?

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Lol. I've won just over $1500 this year. Guilty as charged. Integrity? Can you get odds on how many scandals the media will uncover next week. I'll have $50 on 2 and put a multi on.them.being announced Monday and Weds.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

in the land of NOW

up goes the Border between Qld ‘n NSW again
... 1am on Saturday morning

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

asiu wrote: Wed 05 Aug 2020 11:15am in the land of NOW

up goes the Border between Qld ‘n NSW again
... 1am on Saturday morning
who will bend the bananas now ?

asiu
Saintsational Legend

more importantly

how are those ferals from the happy hills of northern nsw
going to get their crop to market ?

asiu
Saintsational Legend

Whataboutmeism rears it’s ugly head
in everyones life ya know !!!

Secret Kiel
Club Player

CQ SAINT wrote: Wed 05 Aug 2020 11:14am Lol. I've won just over $1500 this year. Guilty as charged. Integrity? Can you get odds on how many scandals the media will uncover next week. I'll have $50 on 2 and put a multi on.them.being announced Monday and Weds.
As long as you drop the winnings straight into the hat at Church on Sundays Jesus will turn a blind eye.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Is my intel credible?

I have a keen interest in the administration of our club and the AFL, is that an agenda? I don't think it is, just my personal interest.

The world and our economy is changing dynamically-dramatically and professional sport is not immune, a lot of the signsicant impacts won't be understood by the wider fan base until this season is over and the media catches its breath and is able to provide insight. At the moment everyone involved in the industry is treading water just to survive this season by hopefully completing it and completing the cash flow cycle. That's the main game and understandably so.
[/quote]

We are having a discussion, a meeting of sorts on a football focussed forum.

We are arguing points and you have flipped from topic to topic.

In the literal sense of the word, I would say that yes, clearly you have an agenda. Not that that is a problem. You're just I'll equipped in your arguments when you look at your agenda as a whole. A lot of your topics and the arguments you present, conflict with each other. Agenda? What agenda?

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Wed 05 Aug 2020 11:37am
CQ SAINT wrote: Wed 05 Aug 2020 11:14am Lol. I've won just over $1500 this year. Guilty as charged. Integrity? Can you get odds on how many scandals the media will uncover next week. I'll have $50 on 2 and put a multi on.them.being announced Monday and Weds.
As long as you drop the winnings straight into the hat at Church on Sundays Jesus will turn a blind eye.
I gave up church when I started playing senior football. Mum was disappointed, dad was devastated. Mum still made him go. 😁

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

If I was as horrible at predicting events as Karen I'd be against gambling too! :lol:

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Secret Kiel
Club Player

CQ SAINT wrote: Wed 05 Aug 2020 11:47am
I gave up church when I started playing senior football. Mum was disappointed, dad was devastated. Mum still made him go. 😁
Jesus can accept EFT payments for those who can't attend, a bit like how interstate memberships work.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

Interstate membership =‘s good

qld interstate membership =‘s better

access to tickets ... perfect

whats the prob bob?

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Wed 05 Aug 2020 11:50am
Jesus can accept EFT payments for those who can't attend, a bit like how interstate memberships work.
I'd rather spend the $1500 on games at Metricon and the Gabba.
Interstate memberships have never been better. Great value for 2 adults, 2 under 21's and a child at $550 a year or 10 easy payments of $55.
I've had my 2 complimentary interstate games already and have priority to tickets in all Qld games for $25 and don't need to leave the state. I've even managed to claim travel and accommodation visiting work colleagues in Brisbane in the deal.
As an ex-Victorian with a big family there, I feel the all the poor people in lockdown but won't hide my satisfaction after a drought of games in Qld recently.
I really can't believe my fortunes this season. I hope those Saints locked in can at least get some joy from our improvement.
And even you SK. You must be happy with the form and the solid job done by our football department. Even our admin seem to be getting there s*** together.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

I really can't believe my fortunes this season.
haha ... me either

except i can ... coz i deserve it

the Golden Rat is having a great year
in the Year of the Golden Rat

ahead of the curve :P
so to speak

just like my footy club , but better.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

CQ SAINT wrote: Wed 05 Aug 2020 12:11pm
Secret Kiel wrote: Wed 05 Aug 2020 11:50am
I'd rather spend the $1500 on games at Metricon and the Gabba.
Interstate memberships have never been better. Great value for 2 adults, 2 under 21's and a child at $550 a year or 10 easy payments of $55.
I've had my 2 complimentary interstate games already and have priority to tickets in all Qld games for $25 and don't need to leave the state. I've even managed to claim travel and accommodation visiting work colleagues in Brisbane in the deal.
As an ex-Victorian with a big family there, I feel the all the poor people in lockdown but won't hide my satisfaction after a drought of games in Qld recently.
I really can't believe my fortunes this season. I hope those Saints locked in can at least get some joy from our improvement.
And even you SK. You must be happy with the form and the solid job done by our football department. Even our admin seem to be getting there s*** together.
Mate seriously before the world was knocked off its axis I was very bullish about where the club and team was headed. My expectation was that anything less than a finals appearance this years was either a slide backwards or at least a holding pattern. It's not poular for the haters to hear it, but the club has been doing a lot right for about 3 years and that includes a legacy left by Richo. All of the continuous improvements didn't just start happening from October last year so I'm very happy about what has been achieved. Cleary I'm cranky about how COVID-19 has thrown a spannner in the works and I just hope that 2021 isn't as big a sh1tfight.