Decision time for the AFL

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Re: Decision time for the AFL

SK being made look the fool time and time and time and time again

Like a broken record with an asterisk on the label

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Oh when the Saints, oh when the Saints,
Oh when the Saints go marching in,
Oh how I want to win an asterisk,
When the Saints go marching in.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

can we change the word ... go ... to ... come

as in

Oh when the Saints come marching in,
When the Saints come marching in.

they’re ‘coming’ in now
not ‘going’ in sometime in some imaginary future

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
asiu
Saintsational Legend

dreadful spanglish

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Tue 04 Aug 2020 5:25pm
kosifantutti wrote: Tue 04 Aug 2020 5:08pm
Secret Kiel wrote: Tue 04 Aug 2020 5:06pm It's not just tanking too that errodes integrity this season. Lots of events and circumstances, the list is long, I mean you have the game that was forfeited due to an infected player that wasn't infected. So two clubs in the comp that didn't have to turn up for a game just to mention one. And the integrity issues will continue to rise as the comp progresses and stumbles along.

But full credit to those who are keeping the show going.
You know that game is going to be played.
So does that mean currently there are two teams in the comp that have played one less game, and that sometime closer to the finals they have to play a makeup game??

If that's the case how does that effect the teams in contention for finals and thier training loads?
You do realise how byes work, and that they've been around for a long time, and there are some scheduled this very round?

There was never any game forfeited...

You expect us to listen to your predictions seriously when you can't even get events that have actually happened correct!

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

asiu wrote: Tue 04 Aug 2020 5:53pm can we change the word ... go ... to ... come

as in

they’re ‘coming’ in now
Sounds great.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

speaking of byes - when the heck do we get one? round 13 at earliest. all a bit strange.
hardest year for a vic team to win a flag. hell, any vic team that makes finals is an out and out champion.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Secret Kiel
Club Player

CQ SAINT wrote: Tue 04 Aug 2020 5:34pm
Secret Kiel wrote: Tue 04 Aug 2020 5:06pm It's not just tanking too that errodes integrity this season. Lots of events and circumstances, the list is long, I mean you have the game that was forfeited due to an infected player that wasn't infected. So two clubs in the comp that didn't have to turn up for a game just to mention one. And the integrity issues will continue to rise as the comp progresses and stumbles along.

So does that mean currently there are two teams in the comp that have played one less game, and that sometime closer to the finals they have to play a makeup game??

If that's the case how does that effect the teams in contention for finals and thier training loads?
Essendon and Melbourne are due for a bye soon. Technically they have already had it. But, if they leave it late enough they will both be out of contention and they can have a big tankfest.
Yes I said tankfest. Not to be confused with the subject of this thread. 8 teams will play finals, one team will win a Grand final. Then there will be more mass debates about asterisks. Did you see what I did there, twice.
Just be yourself, try not to be too cleva.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Secret Kiel wrote: Tue 04 Aug 2020 5:27pm
Trev from the Bush wrote: Tue 04 Aug 2020 5:18pm
Secret Kiel wrote: Tue 04 Aug 2020 3:11pm
Sanctorum wrote: Tue 04 Aug 2020 2:08pm With just 8 rounds to go it will soon become clear which clubs will be out of contention to play finals in this 17 round season.

This raises some really interesting questions, because those clubs out of contention will be faced with some crucial decisions about their remaining matches - do they continue to play their best 22 or will they put their better players "on ice" to avoid the risk of major injuries.

Then there is the question of players of those Victorian clubs in Qld hubs wanting to go back home, not an unreasonable proposition as living out of a suitcase for months, away from families and friends, when there is nothing but pride to play for is far from ideal.

The prospect therefore of teams "tanking" will be a major challenge for the AFL, as it could well have a big impact on the outcome of games between finalists and the bottom teams, and influence where teams finish in the top 8.
You took a while but it would appear you finally grasped the meaning of the Asterisk Cup.

Would you agree the Asterisk is getting bigger.
Really looking forward to not having a beer with you at our premiership celebrations SK. 😁
Look you know how this rolls Trev, if we win the Asterisk cup I will celebrate as hard as I did the last time we won a pre season comp.
You're comparing apples to oranges there, sport. You will be truly miserable if you reckon the two are the same.

Saint supporter since '62
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

I don’t think it's decision time for the AFL, the beauty of a reduced season, reduced to the point of being the most even, fair and transparent since VFL days is that all teams bar Adelaide will be in it for longer.

It is more a question for clubs and how they want to be perceived by their supporters, sponsors and players. A question that has been posed, pondered, alleged ever since clubs were rewarded for how low they finish.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Tue 04 Aug 2020 6:16pm
asiu wrote: Tue 04 Aug 2020 5:53pm can we change the word ... go ... to ... come

as in

they’re ‘coming’ in now
Sounds great.
well it would !!

:)

if everyone sang .... come
instead of go

Secret Kiel
Club Player

Trev from the Bush wrote: Tue 04 Aug 2020 7:08pm
Secret Kiel wrote: Tue 04 Aug 2020 5:27pm
Trev from the Bush wrote: Tue 04 Aug 2020 5:18pm
Secret Kiel wrote: Tue 04 Aug 2020 3:11pm
Sanctorum wrote: Tue 04 Aug 2020 2:08pm With just 8 rounds to go it will soon become clear which clubs will be out of contention to play finals in this 17 round season.

This raises some really interesting questions, because those clubs out of contention will be faced with some crucial decisions about their remaining matches - do they continue to play their best 22 or will they put their better players "on ice" to avoid the risk of major injuries.

Then there is the question of players of those Victorian clubs in Qld hubs wanting to go back home, not an unreasonable proposition as living out of a suitcase for months, away from families and friends, when there is nothing but pride to play for is far from ideal.

The prospect therefore of teams "tanking" will be a major challenge for the AFL, as it could well have a big impact on the outcome of games between finalists and the bottom teams, and influence where teams finish in the top 8.
You took a while but it would appear you finally grasped the meaning of the Asterisk Cup.

Would you agree the Asterisk is getting bigger.
Really looking forward to not having a beer with you at our premiership celebrations SK. 😁
Look you know how this rolls Trev, if we win the Asterisk cup I will celebrate as hard as I did the last time we won a pre season comp.
You're comparing apples to oranges there, sport. You will be truly miserable if you reckon the two are the same.
Ok will you settle for a super sized pre season comp.
You know, it's somewhere between the standard of a pre season and full strength comp.

Sanctorum
Club Player

Ghost Like wrote: Tue 04 Aug 2020 7:19pm I don’t think it's decision time for the AFL, the beauty of a reduced season, reduced to the point of being the most even, fair and transparent since VFL days is that all teams bar Adelaide will be in it for longer.

It is more a question for clubs and how they want to be perceived by their supporters, sponsors and players. A question that has been posed, pondered, alleged ever since clubs were rewarded for how low they finish.
That's true GL, except that this year, with the Victorian teams based interstate, the issue of "resting" elite players, or sending players away for early surgery etc, could well be more prevalent, which is why I believe this will be an issue for the AFL to watch, as the ramifications for the contenders, in who they have to play prior to finals, could have a significant bearing on where they finish in the top 8, if that makes sense...

Mind you, the way St Kilda are playing right now, if they can continue that form and field their best 22, it shouldn't make much difference as I believe they have as good a chance as any of the the bookies' favourites to go all the way.

When one door closes and another door opens, you are probably in prison..

Sometimes, someone unexpected comes into your life out of nowhere, makes your heart race, and changes you forever. We call those people cops.

My luck is like a bald guy who just won a comb.

Anon
Secret Kiel
Club Player

Sanctorum wrote: Tue 04 Aug 2020 7:41pm
Ghost Like wrote: Tue 04 Aug 2020 7:19pm I don’t think it's decision time for the AFL, the beauty of a reduced season, reduced to the point of being the most even, fair and transparent since VFL days is that all teams bar Adelaide will be in it for longer.

That's true GL, except that this year, with the Victorian teams based interstate, the issue of "resting" elite players, or sending players away for early surgery etc, could well be more prevalent, which is why I believe this will be an issue for the AFL to watch, as the ramifications for the contenders, in who they have to play prior to finals, could have a significant bearing on where they finish in the top 8, if that makes sense...

Mind you, the way St Kilda are playing right now, if they can continue that form and field their best 22, it shouldn't make much difference as I believe they have as good a chance as any of the the bookies' favourites to go all the way.
So could it be there are some serious integrity issues?

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Tue 04 Aug 2020 7:05pm

Essendon and Melbourne are due for a bye soon. Technically they have already had it. But, if they leave it late enough they will both be out of contention and they can have a big tankfest.
Yes I said tankfest. Not to be confused with the subject of this thread. 8 teams will play finals, one team will win a Grand final. Then there will be more mass debates about asterisks. Did you see what I did there, twice.
I'm a pragmatist. It is what it is. Every team in the 8, come finals time, will be trying to win it. Plain and simple inmho. I'm trying to be humorous. It's a laughable discussion. Only losers try not to win.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Tue 04 Aug 2020 7:41pm

That's always been a problem in terms of closing a season out. I think we only need to look at Collingwood in 2004 after playing in the two previous GFs. Incredibly they were able to collect a priority pick at the end of 2004, picks which ultimately haunted St Kilda in 2010.

How prevalent a club's actions are usually defined well after the season in question.

In terms of integrity in the AFL, that's a fantasy and has been and will continue to be whilst there's money involved - it is almost like arguing the Olympics & FIFA are bastions of integrity.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I'll take an asterix

Secret Kiel
Club Player

CQ SAINT wrote: Tue 04 Aug 2020 8:10pm

I'm a pragmatist. It is what it is. Every team in the 8, come finals time, will be trying to win it. Plain and simple inmho. I'm trying to be humorous. It's a laughable discussion. Only losers try not to win.
Absolutely it is what it is, and it is totally a humorous and laughable discussion. One thing that is for certain though, this year's flag will not come close to being comparable to all of the flags that come before it. Does that mean it's not something that will be a source of entertainment no matter how diluted and watered down the product is. No. It is still providing us with a distraction at a pretty challenging time and I guess that is why many footy fans are happy to pretend this season is comparable to all that came before it. Personally though, if we win it this year and it isn't at a packed MCG and I'm not there then that pretty much strips me of my life long dream. I can only imagine it strips the players of the dream they have replayed over in thier head for most of their lives too.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Tue 04 Aug 2020 8:56pm I'll take an asterix
f*** yeah.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Tue 04 Aug 2020 9:29pm Absolutely it is what it is, and it is totally a humorous and laughable discussion. One thing that is for certain though, this year's flag will not come close to being comparable to all of the flags that come before it. Does that mean it's not something that will be a source of entertainment no matter how diluted and watered down the product is. No. It is still providing us with a distraction at a pretty challenging time and I guess that is why many footy fans are happy to pretend this season is comparable to all that came before it. Personally though, if we win it this year and it isn't at a packed MCG and I'm not there then that pretty much strips me of my life long dream. I can only imagine it strips the players of the dream they have replayed over in thier head for most of their lives too.
So there we have it, all that cr@p you've polluted every thread you've taken part in once the season began with your "sovereign asterisk" ideals is because you won't be at a packed MCG to witness it, as that's your life long dream.

Boo FN Hoo!

That apparently gives you the right to devalue and denigrate a season that is like no other any of us have experienced, let alone anyone who is good enough to play for an AFL club & somehow your selfishness, your arrogance and your delusions of a life other than your own, allows you to imagine their dream has also been stripped.

I do not believe anything you say. You begin by trying to take the p1ss but end sipping from the same bath you just cr@pped in, to the point you actually believe your rhetoric.

Try to imagine this years final will be at a packed MCG, you are there and your reason for existence is about to be fulfilled & let the rest of us try to enjoy a better showing by the St Kilda Football Club during a year that will likely be the worst any of us will experience.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

Ghost Like wrote: Tue 04 Aug 2020 10:23pm
Secret Kiel wrote: Tue 04 Aug 2020 9:29pm Absolutely it is what it is, and it is totally a humorous and laughable discussion. One thing that is for certain though, this year's flag will not come close to being comparable to all of the flags that come before it. Does that mean it's not something that will be a source of entertainment no matter how diluted and watered down the product is. No. It is still providing us with a distraction at a pretty challenging time and I guess that is why many footy fans are happy to pretend this season is comparable to all that came before it. Personally though, if we win it this year and it isn't at a packed MCG and I'm not there then that pretty much strips me of my life long dream. I can only imagine it strips the players of the dream they have replayed over in thier head for most of their lives too.
So there we have it, all that cr@p you've polluted every thread you've taken part in once the season began with your "sovereign asterisk" ideals is because you won't be at a packed MCG to witness it, as that's your life long dream.

Boo FN Hoo!

That apparently gives you the right to devalue and denigrate a season that is like no other any of us have experienced, let alone anyone who is good enough to play for an AFL club & somehow your selfishness, your arrogance and your delusions of a life other than your own, allows you to imagine their dream has also been stripped.

I do not believe anything you say. You begin by trying to take the p1ss but end sipping from the same bath you just cr@pped in, to the point you actually believe your rhetoric.

Try to imagine this years final will be at a packed MCG, you are there and your reason for existence is about to be fulfilled & let the rest of us try to enjoy a better showing by the St Kilda Football Club during a year that will likely be the worst any of us will experience.
You say polluted, I say enlighten.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Tue 04 Aug 2020 9:29pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Tue 04 Aug 2020 8:10pm

Absolutely it is what it is, and it is totally a humorous and laughable discussion. One thing that is for certain though, this year's flag will not come close to being comparable to all of the flags that come before it. Does that mean it's not something that will be a source of entertainment no matter how diluted and watered down the product is. No. It is still providing us with a distraction at a pretty challenging time and I guess that is why many footy fans are happy to pretend this season is comparable to all that came before it. Personally though, if we win it this year and it isn't at a packed MCG and I'm not there then that pretty much strips me of my life long dream. I can only imagine it strips the players of the dream they have replayed over in thier head for most of their lives too.
The game, as it is played in the premier competition, the AFL, is constantly evolving. Just about every decade since the games beginning has seen changes which broaden the boundaries of comparison from one era to the next.
In my lifetime, the game has become unrecognizable from the game I was taught at 5 years of age.
My dear dad yearned for the return of the drop kick, the coat hanger and the smack in the ear, even when watching Riewoldt and co. He would ofyen sit in his shed and listen to the game on the radio on 3AW, forgoing the 42inch plasma, action replays and step by step analysis.
He remembered not being able to get into suburban grounds, due to sell out games, as a regular thing and not having a TV to watch it on.
Even the discussion whether the MCG should be the home of the GF is topical. Should it be at night, should it be in Adelaide, Sydney or Perth. The game has evolved well beyond the confines of it origins, it traditions and it will continue to evolve.
I'm sure a few generations have declared they will never watch it again because it has become so diluted by finances and progress.
Those poor fans from the Lakeside and the boys and girls from Fitzroy. Gone but not forgotten.
Yet the game grows, the revenue grows, membership grows.
You have a right to be nostalgic and you also have a right to your views on the validity of this year but it doesn't make you right. It just makes you read like a whining fool.
I'm not sure why you continue along the lines you do, but I find it amusing and in the grander scheme of things, insignificant. It will be what it will be. Try to enjoy it in the moment and please consider trying to stop bringing everybody down, but honestly, I hope you don't. I find it entertaining, provocative and interesting.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Karen has been making statements all year; TV audiences will be down, soft tissue injuries rampant, players not caring, GC premiers, WCE given up, no crowds, yadda yadda yadda, still don’t think he’s nailed one yet! :lol:

He’s clearly struggling in these uncertain times, which is understandable, so he’s trying to project these struggles on everyone else, to help him cope easier maybe? We should prob go easy on the poor bugger, he’s obviously not being legit.

He also claims there’s a long list of reasons the season is compromised beyond legitimacy, yet I haven’t seen him produce any kind of actual list? Funny that.

This year is no more or less compromised than any other year, prove me wrong if you’re so sure.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Tue 04 Aug 2020 11:02pm
The game, as it is played in the premier competition, the AFL, is constantly evolving. Just about every decade since the games beginning has seen changes which broaden the boundaries of comparison from one era to the next.
In my lifetime, the game has become unrecognizable from the game I was taught at 5 years of age.
My dear dad yearned for the return of the drop kick, the coat hanger and the smack in the ear, even when watching Riewoldt and co. He would often sit in his shed and listen to the game on the radio on 3AW, forgoing the 42inch plasma, action replays and step by step analysis.
He remembered not being able to get into suburban grounds, due to sell out games, as a regular thing and not having a TV to watch it on.
Even the discussion whether the MCG should be the home of the GF is topical. Should it be at night, should it be in Adelaide, Sydney or Perth. The game has evolved well beyond the confines of it origins, it traditions and it will continue to evolve.
I'm sure a few generations have declared they will never watch it again because it has become so diluted by finances and progress.
Those poor fans from the Lakeside and the boys and girls from Fitzroy. Gone but not forgotten.
You have a right to be nostalgic and you also have a right to your views on the validity of this year but it doesn't make you right. It just makes you read like a whining fool.
I'm not sure why you continue along the lines you do, but I find it amusing and in the grander scheme of things, insignificant. It will be what it will be. Try to enjoy it in the moment and please consider trying to stop bringing everybody down, but honestly, I hope you don't. I find it entertaining, provocative and interesting.
well said and a good lesson to all the Karens out there.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

CQ SAINT wrote: Tue 04 Aug 2020 11:02pm

My dear dad yearned for the return of the drop kick, the coat hanger and the smack in the ear, even when watching Riewoldt and co. He would ofyen sit in his shed and listen to the game on the radio on 3AW, forgoing the 42inch plasma, action replays and step by step analysis.
As I say, this year has been one of the most challenging years in the history of mankind and so it is easier to pretend situations are normal. This is made much, much easier by a rusted-on and very gullible audience, AND an influential organisation with one of the best PR machines in existence that is supported by a cottage media industry that sings to whatever song sheet put in front of them for their own survival and prosperity.

A thread drift now: I heard somewhere that the Demons started discussing possibly moving on the head coach, however the AFL might not allow it to happen due to this administration style managment that the AFL has imposed and the cost saving measures that are being dictated. If this is true it is going to be a facinating space to watch over the next 6 to 12 months as the recession bites harder.