Dougal Howard - I'm Not Convinced Yet.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Dougal Howard - I'm Not Convinced Yet.

Sanctorum wrote: Wed 29 Jul 2020 10:29am Looking at this post from SK and all of the subsequent responses and banter, including SK "thanking" posters who have made positive comments about Dougal Howard, leads me to suspect that SK is being mischievous, putting up outrageous posts with the aim of attracting vitriolic responses from those who take him seriously...I also sometimes wonder if SK has other profiles on this forum that respond to his/her (SK's) utterances. Jekyll and Hyde.

To be honest, as someone else has suggested, best to simply ignore whatever SK comes out with, it's a waste of effort and space!

As for Dougal Howard, he has been sensational, the Saints back 6 are doing a fantastic job so far in 2020, one of the best in the comp!!
you are on the money

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote: Tue 28 Jul 2020 7:03pm
Saintmatt wrote: Tue 28 Jul 2020 3:30pm
The Fireman wrote: Tue 28 Jul 2020 2:44pm The Ban on Joffa is a bit rich, bringing up old posts is more about clarifying credibility rather than baiting.

I thought his post was insightful.
Spot on. I'm pretty sure that truth is actually a defence (not just on this site but, you know - in the real world). Joffa's only crime was to not aggregate all of numpty utterings from SK that we've had to put up with over the duration. Mind you - the select few he did highlight did indeed paint an interesting insight OP's 'thought' process
The one day ban was for editing another persons name in a quote in order to bait them. Secret Kiel’s Nic was changed to Secret Karen.
As long as it wasn't a Secret Squeal BfUSA.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Munga wrote: Tue 28 Jul 2020 3:59pm
Saintmatt wrote: Tue 28 Jul 2020 3:48pm
Munga wrote: Tue 28 Jul 2020 3:10pm
Secret Kiel wrote: Tue 28 Jul 2020 7:13am He had a shocker of a quarter against Port. Had it not been for the support around him to clean up his chain of clangers he could have been the sole reason we lost.

It was his first real test with pressure when a game was in the balance AND with crowd pressure and he didn't cope well at all. I want to see a much bigger sample size of him performing under those and much hotter conditions before I'm convinced he can play in a top 4 backline under finals pressure.
I can see where Secret Kiel is coming from. Howard did lose the plot for a while and I was surprised he was in the votes. He got over the line in the end, but he does need to improve that composure at times.
Far out man. He was playing as the key defender on an in-form monster who was getting repeat entries. Him and rest of the defence were under serious fire for the 1st 10 mins of the 3rd. That's not the defence's fault - our mids couldn't get their hands on it and hence, could't apply pressure or cover. If he plays 1 quarter like that and 3 like the others then I'm not going to be unhappy with that.

Nah it was more his two kicks that weren't under ANY pressure, one straight to the opposition and the other booted high and wide straight on the full in the back pocket. I'm not making this up mate, it happened. It's constructive criticism. Or we can just stop trying to improve, people seem to be happy with that :roll: I'm sure Howard was happy with that too, not. I'm not saying he's a bad defender at all, he's been ok this year so far. Nothing wrong with ok, our squad perfomance has been pretty level this year.
I agree - it was two errant kicks. The OP talked about a whole quarter. I want us all to improve - as people and players and as a club ... that's called evolution. Even if you're standing still you're going backwards. I love Howard playing for us and they more he plays with his new teammates, the better he'll get

Go you red, black & white warriors
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Secret Kiel wrote: Tue 28 Jul 2020 3:53pm
Secret Kiel wrote: Tue 28 Jul 2020 7:13am He had a shocker of a quarter against Port. Had it not been for the support around him to clean up his chain of clangers he could have been the sole reason we lost.

It was his first real test with pressure when a game was in the balance AND with crowd pressure and he didn't cope well at all. I want to see a much bigger sample size of him performing under those and much hotter conditions before I'm convinced he can play in a top 4 backline under finals pressure.
I can see where Secret Kiel is coming from. Howard did lose the plot for a while and I was surprised he was in the votes. He got over the line in the end, but he does need to improve that composure at times.
Far out man. He was playing as the key defender on an in-form monster who was getting repeat entries. Him and rest of the defence were under serious fire for the 1st 10 mins of the 3rd. That's not the defence's fault - our mids couldn't get their hands on it and hence, could't apply pressure or cover. If he plays 1 quarter like that and 3 like the others then I'm not going to be unhappy with that.
You're not good good with opposing views are you.
Nope. I'm perfectly "good good" (sic) with opposing views. Most people on here agree that the two clangers he had by foot weren't great but in the scheme of things; Howard was damn good other than that. Your OP talks about a "shocking quarter". He did not have a shocking quarter. He had 2 x bad 30 seconds.

Tighten up your English. And your powers of observation and logic whilst you're at it.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

The Fireman wrote: Tue 28 Jul 2020 2:44pm The Ban on Joffa is a bit rich, bringing up old posts is more about clarifying credibility rather than baiting.

Spot on. I'm pretty sure that truth is actually a defence (not just on this site but, you know - in the real world). Joffa's only crime was to not aggregate all of numpty utterings from SK that we've had to put up with over the duration. Mind you - the select few he did highlight did indeed paint an interesting insight OP's 'thought' process
The one day ban was for editing another persons name in a quote in order to bait them. Secret Kiel’s Nic was changed to Secret Karen.
Fair enough Simon - rules are rules - but surely you got a giggle out of that. It was topical if nothing else! Play on ...

Secret Kiel
Club Player

Saintmatt wrote: Wed 29 Jul 2020 11:36am

Nope. I'm perfectly "good good" (sic) with opposing views. Most people on here agree that the two clangers he had by foot weren't great but in the scheme of things; Howard was damn good other than that. Your OP talks about a "shocking quarter". He did not have a shocking quarter. He had 2 x bad 30 seconds.

Tighten up your English. And your powers of observation and logic whilst you're at it.
Don't take it so personally. Mate next time I see you at training I'll come and say G'day.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

i’m a fan of the play on call , as well.

as i’m sure L.V.
would be

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
Harves Man
Club Player

So the ban is for secretly changing Secret Kiel's Nic to Secret Karen - an act of excessive secretness, or uncalled-for sneakiness? So is there any direct connection here, to the Official Secrets Act? Are you anticipating any involvement with ASIO, official, or otherwise? You know, sometimes I wonder if I overthink things.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Secret Kiel wrote: Wed 29 Jul 2020 12:14pm
Saintmatt wrote: Wed 29 Jul 2020 11:36am

Don't take it so personally. Mate next time I see you at training I'll come and say G'day.
I'd like that. We're all passionate Saints. See you sometime outside Moorabbin's Checkpoint Charlie

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Two things on Howard.

1) He had a horror start to the 3rd quarter, that could have been far more costly than what it was.
2) He's exactly what we need at the club. A big strong athletic young key back, who is aggressive and can go with the big fwds.

I note we play the Cats in two weeks. So much more reassuring knowing that Howard and Carlisle are there to take Hawkins and Rattugulea (sic) rather than whatever we'd had in the past.

I am most certainly 'convinced' by Howard and am rapt that he has been brought to the club. A fantastic acquisition.

In fact not one of the 5 recruits has disappointed me apart from, ironically, the most high profile one in Hill. I'm still optimistic that he'll come good though.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Yep,
He didn’t lose his bottle and kept up his effort so that’s a good sign. Hopefully, not a confidence kicker.

We’ve all seen Carlisle get beaten numerous times, but he is still one our best defenders and a class act that opposition sides definitely have to take notice of.

I think Mr Kiel is just having some fun with the OP. We a fa-mi-ly!, (Or not)

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
asiu
Saintsational Legend

we are :P

ham ’n cheese

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
freely
SS Hall of Fame

I didn't think those two bad kicks were skill errors. I thought they were lapses of concentration/nerves owing to getting booed by what used to be his home crowd. Obviously not great but turns out he's a human being which wasn't a disappointment to me.