Changes v Power

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Re: Changes v Power

saynta wrote: Tue 21 Jul 2020 7:47pm
The_Dud wrote: Mon 20 Jul 2020 11:47pm I’d like to see Ross, Gresh and Lonie out to send a message.

I don’t really care about cheap goals or a good possession here and there, too many times they let us down.

Of course won’t happen though.
Of course it won't .The selectors are not stupid.

This team has us 4 and 3 and heading for finals. Could and should be 6 and 1 and equal top of the ladder ffs l
And why aren’t we 6-1?

Because certain players have been letting us down and not playing to their expected standard.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

A winning team won't change much. Hannebery for Byrnes tasol. Easy night for the selectors, they only have to read the result: first ever win over Crows at the new Adelaide Oval Stadium. Ain't that something. Sure is.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote: Tue 21 Jul 2020 7:11pm
skeptic wrote: Tue 21 Jul 2020 11:04am Interesting to note that Gresh had 5 tackles last night.
16 disposals, 1.2 and 5 tackles.

He kicks straights he’s almost BOG
i (and likely i'd suspect many) wanted to give him votes last night, but his kicking was just too awful to do so. under 40% disposal efficiency. as for his set kicking for goal. gawd. i actually called on him to dish it off when shooting dead in front, twenty out. nonsensical. really needs a mentor to help him work out his issues. he needs to be taught how to kick and get it drilled into him so intensely that it becomes muscle memory.
Both coaches rated him third best player on the ground.

ace
Saintsational Legend

IN Hannebury
OUT Byrnes

Byrnes has had a taste, he has experienced the difference between scratch match and AFL levels.
Now he has lots of work to do.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
ace
Saintsational Legend

The biggest team change for the match must be how we overcome the oppositions forward press.

Win the centre bounce clearance and we are good.
But if the ball goes into our back half it is near impossible for it to exit.
Kicking it down the line rarely clears their forward press.
It just comes back in.
We need more running in a wave especially from our mids.
Run the ball down the guts until a kick will clear the press.

This problem is why we lost to North and Fremantle and could have gone down to Adelaide.
The biggest change must be from our coaches.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

I can’t see Hannerbry coming back in after only 2 weeks off and catching the plane to Adelaide, especially with his history.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote: Tue 21 Jul 2020 8:06pm The biggest team change for the match must be how we overcome the oppositions forward press.

Win the centre bounce clearance and we are good.
But if the ball goes into our back half it is near impossible for it to exit.
Kicking it down the line rarely clears their forward press.
It just comes back in.
We need more running in a wave especially from our mids.
Run the ball down the guts until a kick will clear the press.

This problem is why we lost to North and Fremantle and could have gone down to Adelaide.
The biggest change must be from our coaches.
Watch the game again and wait and wait and wait for what you think donimated our plan to start happening. It took a while, but Adelaide eventually worked out that the needed to hold the middle of the ground.
We zig zagged the ball effectively quite a bit and when Adelaide came at us, the umps responded and they got a few cheap ones. Tactics don't turn on and off like a switch. We persisted and eventually broke them with speed when the ball got through. What we did to Adelaide happened to Richo all the time. We nearly cracked Freo and North late in both games. As we develop, it will happen more often. In Ratts, we trust.

Sanctorum
Club Player

With a raft of games with 4 day breaks in August I'm not sure that we can predict the lineup against Port. Normally you'd expect to see very few changes (barring injuries) to a winning team, but these are not normal times!

Battle has been ruled out so do they go with a similar type player as his replacement - which would suggest Marsh.

I expect that they will want to pick Hannebery now that he's fit, especially to provide greater on-field leadership - I would bring him in for Ross rather than drop Byrnes who deserves another chance as he apparently showed a lot of class in the practice matches, and he can hardly do worse than Ross who seems to be unable to follow Ratten's game plan.

Marsh for Battle
Hannebery for Ross

"To do good is noble. To tell others to do good is even nobler and much less trouble.."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Wed 22 Jul 2020 4:20pm With a raft of games with 4 day breaks in August I'm not sure that we can predict the lineup against Port. Normally you'd expect to see very few changes (barring injuries) to a winning team, but these are not normal times!

Battle has been ruled out so do they go with a similar type player as his replacement - which would suggest Marsh.

I expect that they will want to pick Hannebery now that he's fit, especially to provide greater on-field leadership - I would bring him in for Ross rather than drop Byrnes who deserves another chance as he apparently showed a lot of class in the practice matches, and he can hardly do worse than Ross who seems to be unable to follow Ratten's game plan.

Marsh for Battle
Hannebery for Ross
I think the problem with Ross is his instinct to hang off the contest and position himself as a link or release player.. He had years of being the receiver from Dunstan and Steele and rushing the ball forward.
It looks like Ratten is asking him to be more accountable. Almost like he is being pinned into a run with role, which he has trouble defending.
I'm hoping Ratts let's him off the hook this week if Hanners doesn't pass his test.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Ross - Bytel

Byrnes - Sinclair

Battle - Marsh

Nee!
goods
Club Player

Need to keep playing the same team as it will take take time for them to gel. Consistency is needed

Crossy66
Club Player

saynta wrote: Tue 21 Jul 2020 7:57pm
desertsaint wrote: Tue 21 Jul 2020 7:11pm
skeptic wrote: Tue 21 Jul 2020 11:04am Interesting to note that Gresh had 5 tackles last night.
16 disposals, 1.2 and 5 tackles.

He kicks straights he’s almost BOG
i (and likely i'd suspect many) wanted to give him votes last night, but his kicking was just too awful to do so. under 40% disposal efficiency. as for his set kicking for goal. gawd. i actually called on him to dish it off when shooting dead in front, twenty out. nonsensical. really needs a mentor to help him work out his issues. he needs to be taught how to kick and get it drilled into him so intensely that it becomes muscle memory.
Both coaches rated him third best player on the ground.
1st on the ground for metres gained, 1st for score involvements, 2nd for clearances. He was very very good. Mind you, he is one of those players who can cause the smashing of the TV one minute and a big cheer the next. But overall, turning into a very good mid fielder.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Since Battle has been ruled out, my changes would be

Out: Battle, Ross, Lonie
In: Sinclair, Hannebery, Hind

B: Paton, Howard, Wilkie
HB: Clark, Carlisle, Coffield
C: Hill, Steele, Billings
HF: Hind, Marshall, Sinclair
F: Butler, King, Membrey

Foll: Ryder, Gresham, Jones
Int: Byrnes, Geary, Hannebery, Kent

If Hannebery isn't ready then Ross is very lucky

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

I would include Marsh with his only job to run with Westhoff. Present in our forward line when Westhoff drops back to intercept or see out the quarter to guard against the red time goals.