Team vs Crows

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Re: Team vs Crows

J. Webster's future? Battle on shaky ground - was part of the failed mids team? Lonie giving Sinclair the stink eye?

Guessing: Paddy for Jonathon; Byrnes for Battle, Sinclair for Lonie; Geary to BP, Paton HB; Hind comes in to add dash to mid field/HFs.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Sat 18 Jul 2020 12:47pm J. Webster's future? Battle on shaky ground - was part of the failed mids team? Lonie giving Sinclair the stink eye?

Guessing: Paddy for Jonathon; Byrnes for Battle, Sinclair for Lonie; Geary to BP, Paton HB; Hind comes in to add dash to mid field/HFs.
No two, three outs at the most. Marsh plus Long and maybe one other, replaced by Byrnes and Ryder.

Third in would be Sinclair imho. No way would they be dropping Battle.

spert
Saintsational Legend

This might be a crunch game for few players. So many passengers last week- mostly the more experienced players. There needs to be a team turnaround, and those who just don't get enough of the ball again, might end up playing for Noosa reserves.

realdeal
Club Player

If it was good enough for Milney and Dal then getting a wake up call is good enough for Seb Ross..
Its like Jack Newnes the previous few years. He just hasn't played up to his ability for a long time now.

And when he returns to the team he should be that much more hungrier for the contest. We need Ross, but not this version.

In saying that i think the changes will be
Out: Long, Marsh
In: Brynes, Savage

:?:

saynta
Saintsational Legend

realdeal wrote: Sat 18 Jul 2020 2:45pm If it was good enough for Milney and Dal then getting a wake up call is good enough for Seb Ross..
Its like Jack Newnes the previous few years. He just hasn't played up to his ability for a long time now.

And when he returns to the team he should be that much more hungrier for the contest. We need Ross, but not this version.

One week, a long time is it?

realdeal
Club Player

Id suggest he hasnt been upto scratch this whole season.

StPeter
Club Player

realdeal wrote: Sat 18 Jul 2020 2:45pm If it was good enough for Milney and Dal then getting a wake up call is good enough for Seb Ross..

Ryder also an "In" as he has been named in starting 22.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

realdeal wrote: Sat 18 Jul 2020 3:21pm Id suggest he hasnt been upto scratch this whole season.
[/quote

Been named in the best players by at least one organisation in two of the past three games. ]

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Seb hasn’t polled a single vote on here so far this year, FWIW.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Ryder & Byrnes - IN

Long & Marsh - OUT

I'm not sure that OUT sets a tone, an example or puts any player on notice, well no senior / high priced players anyway.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sat 18 Jul 2020 5:22pm Seb hasn’t polled a single vote on here so far this year, FWIW.
Wrong, not true from you, but hey, what else is new. :wink: :wink:

Gershwin
Club Player

Ghost Like wrote: Sat 18 Jul 2020 5:27pm Ryder & Byrnes - IN

Long & Marsh - OUT

I'm not sure that OUT sets a tone, an example or puts any player on notice, well no senior / high priced players anyway.
Totally agree. Actually if there was one thing you couldn't blame Marsh for it was intensity and effort. If Ratts was going to be fair dinkum it had to be Hill.

summertime and the living is easy ........
saintbob
SS Life Member

WTF Ratten???

You had an ideal opportunity to make a real statement and set an example to the whole list, that mediocrity will not be tolerated but you chose to keep gifting games to blokes like Ross, Lonie and Kent who don’t deserve it.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Gershwin wrote: Sat 18 Jul 2020 5:50pm
Ghost Like wrote: Sat 18 Jul 2020 5:27pm Ryder & Byrnes - IN

Long & Marsh - OUT

Totally agree. Actually if there was one thing you couldn't blame Marsh for it was intensity and effort. If Ratts was going to be fair dinkum it had to be Hill.
Very true. It had to be someone / players with more than 24 games to their name.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

If we’re going the same same... I’d have done this

Butler, King, Membrey
Gresh, Battle, Geary
Billings, Steele, Hill
Coffield, Carlisle, Clarke
Wilkie, Howard, Paton
Marshall, Ross, Jones

Int Ryder, Hind, Byrnes, SInclair

Just don’t see how you can have Butler, Kent and Lonie all in the same team. Combined for a total of 21 possessions btw all three last week and far too erratic in performance for my liking. IMO only Butler has runs on the board this season.

At least this team has a lot more run through the middle

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

The reason our small forwards did so little last week was because the midfield went to sleep. Complete capitulation of effort and intensity. Putting Byrnes in is the right thing to do. Ratten will put it to his senior mids to lead the way. Last thing the mids want is to be embarrassed by a debutant in effort and intensity. Was Marsh unlucky? Probably, given some of the other performances. I suppose the big issue is that he doesn't hold on to his marks. He often drops them after he's got separation from his opponent. Something to work on. He may improve yet.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Marshall's performance last week was well below par. Adelaide's ruckman was all over him the last time we played them. The man is an absolute beast. Ryder's ruck craft will be needed for our mids to get first use.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sat 18 Jul 2020 5:28pm
The_Dud wrote: Sat 18 Jul 2020 5:22pm Seb hasn’t polled a single vote on here so far this year, FWIW.
Wrong, not true from you, but hey, what else is new. :wink: :wink:
Maybe get the bifocals out, have a good look, then please point out where Seb’s votes are hiding.

http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100622

Afterwards I would suggest a cup of tea, a bex and a good lie down 👍

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

So after all the huff and puff earlier in the week about senior players and accountability and sending a message etc... they drop one inexperienced bloke :shock:

Wowee

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

I think this type of talk by the club is referred to as ”constructive ambiguity” or just fudging.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Sat 18 Jul 2020 10:08pm I think this type of talk by the club is referred to as ”constructive ambiguity” or just fudging.
I think the deconstruction of the pathetic leadership within the club has been underway for a little while and has a while to go yet.
Leathlean, an outsider, Ratten, an outsider, Geary takes the first internal poke at Richo.
Ratts becomes our man. We get rid of our best forward, our best mid, our most consistently picked player, 4 top 10 draftees come in, 4 ready made players come in. The onfield leaders are next, but they will be given the rope to hang themselves or they will fall on their swords. My guess is Geary retires and we trade Ross. Lol.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Stay of execution
I think Ratts has thrown down the challenge to his senior mids

If they don't respond this week the likes of Seb and Hill may find themselves dropped.

Nee!
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Sat 18 Jul 2020 10:34pm
SaintPav wrote: Sat 18 Jul 2020 10:08pm I think this type of talk by the club is referred to as ”constructive ambiguity” or just fudging.
I think the deconstruction of the pathetic leadership within the club has been underway for a little while and has a while to go yet.
Leathlean, an outsider, Ratten, an outsider, Geary takes the first internal poke at Richo.
Ratts becomes our man. We get rid of our best forward, our best mid, our most consistently picked player, 4 top 10 draftees come in, 4 ready made players come in. The onfield leaders are next, but they will be given the rope to hang themselves or they will fall on their swords. My guess is Geary retires and we trade Ross. Lol.
That’s pretty savage CQ, and to the point. I like it. Laser drill.

I suppose the rope being given is selection (yet again) and I a gesture of, “I dare you, I double dare you, to put in a sh:tty effort this week”.

As much as I like the narrative, I guess they are using metrics and algorithms us mortals are unaware of. I don’t see why they pick Kent, but then I don’t see much at all, from my perch here in Japan.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote: Sat 18 Jul 2020 12:38pm Out: Long, Marsh , Paton

In: Ryder, Byrnes, Sinclair/Savage

either Geary goes back pocket n Paton role and Sinclair in
or
Geary goes half forward and tags Laird ( Johaneson type role) and Savage comes in across half back instead.
If Savage plays then Ryder plays for sure. Savage’s natural game is to bomb it long to the centre half forward line, so we have to have Marshall up there as the strong tall who can contest.

The number one thing that will get us over the line is if the smalls work hard and if the mids work hard. Get to the right spots, run hard on the spread so we dominate uncontested footy and run hard to put pressure on them

We have been given excellent facilities to rest and recover. Time to just bust your guts out

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Sat 18 Jul 2020 11:21pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Sat 18 Jul 2020 10:34pm
That’s pretty savage CQ, and to the point. I like it. Laser drill.

I suppose the rope being given is selection (yet again) and I a gesture of, “I dare you, I double dare you, to put in a sh:tty effort this week”.

As much as I like the narrative, I guess they are using metrics and algorithms us mortals are unaware of. I don’t see why they pick Kent, but then I don’t see much at all, from my perch here in Japan.
Go to footywire.com and compare an outstanding Butler with Kent. Then compare Lonie with Kent. Then look at the league stats for teams with mids who kick goals. The overlap, forward space and scoring avenues are working.
Kent has some clangers but he is also a marking target. Falling on loose ball is great. Maintaining clean possession is better.