Team v Dockers

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Team v Dockers

Re Byrnes and Bytel, it’s hard to break into a winning team. Their chances will come when we lose or when we have to cover injuries or consistent poor form.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: Fri 10 Jul 2020 1:19pm Re Byrnes and Bytel, it’s hard to break into a winning team. Their chances will come when we lose or when we have to cover injuries or consistent poor form.
Maybe, but they might also get a game, along with others if the AFL starts scheduling games 4 days apart. And that is on the cards.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

saynta wrote: Fri 10 Jul 2020 2:27pm
bigcarl wrote: Fri 10 Jul 2020 1:19pm Re Byrnes and Bytel, it’s hard to break into a winning team. Their chances will come when we lose or when we have to cover injuries or consistent poor form.
Maybe, but they might also get a game, along with others if the AFL starts scheduling games 4 days apart. And that is on the cards.
That's far more likely. The interesting thing is that the 4 day break thing between games will really affect some teams and not others. The older sides - Adl, Geelong Port, Geelong and Richmond - are probably going to have to rotate their squads through necessity. One the other hand - the Saints are now a very young team. We may keep our continuity and connection a little stronger and longer simply due to our age profile.

Go you red, black & white warriors
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Saintmatt wrote: Fri 10 Jul 2020 2:33pm
saynta wrote: Fri 10 Jul 2020 2:27pm
That's far more likely. The interesting thing is that the 4 day break thing between games will really affect some teams and not others. The older sides - Adl, Geelong Port, Geelong and Richmond - are probably going to have to rotate their squads through necessity. One the other hand - the Saints are now a very young team. We may keep our continuity and connection a little stronger and longer simply due to our age profile.
I think we have a good mix of depth across the whole field too which will be a plus for us

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Sanctorum
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Fri 10 Jul 2020 2:42pm
I think we have a good mix of depth across the whole field too which will be a plus for us
Certainly do and no doubt both Byrnes and Bytel will get selected when others need to be "managed" due to short breaks between games, also most likely against teams that are playing poorly.

Towards the end of the 17 game roster if St Kilda are assured of a finals spot the likes of Hill, Jones, Billings, Gresham, Ross you'd expect to see them given a week off to freshen up.

"To do good is noble. To tell others to do good is even nobler and much less trouble.."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
tony74
SS Hall of Fame

Can’t give you a lot cos I’m not up there. All I know is the accommodation is first rate and they’ve settled in really well. Partners, families are there if they wanted to be. Training facilities are fantastic. Spirit is really good. Re Freo, they’re very aware that the Dockers have been in every game and that their position doesn’t justify their form. Will not be taken lightly.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Thu 09 Jul 2020 7:43pm Where are the Docks based?

We have a 3 hour bus ride from Noosa.

I remember clubs used to complain about the travel factor to Geelong in the old days.
Please lend your avatar to the dud.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote: Fri 10 Jul 2020 8:04pm Can’t give you a lot cos I’m not up there. All I know is the accommodation is first rate and they’ve settled in really well. Partners, families are there if they wanted to be. Training facilities are fantastic. Spirit is really good. Re Freo, they’re very aware that the Dockers have been in every game and that their position doesn’t justify their form. Will not be taken lightly.
We beat them at Marvel in 2019 and their ladder position had them as the favourites.

We knocked them out of contention for a finals berth last year and they'll be out for revenge.

They are also familiar with this oval, having been in Queensland for the last 4 weeks, plus...they should have some confidence coming off a win

This is a danger game and I hope the boys get a good night sleep. They're going to need it with a 5.30-6 A M start

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

If the conditions are good, I’m very confident.

If it gets a bit wet, then not as much...

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote: Fri 10 Jul 2020 8:04pm Can’t give you a lot cos I’m not up there. All I know is the accommodation is first rate and they’ve settled in really well. Partners, families are there if they wanted to be. Training facilities are fantastic. Spirit is really good. Re Freo, they’re very aware that the Dockers have been in every game and that their position doesn’t justify their form. Will not be taken lightly.
Oh no! :cry:

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Walters has often been a problem - speed and can mark. However Sandilands isn't there to torment us. I expect Fyfe to do a couple of reportable acts and not be reported. Jarryn might well remember the knee to the head Fyfe gave him - I think it was a knee, maybe a shin. Anyway As long as we don't take Freo lightly and stay patient with their negative style we should run out winners. I note they came back strong against Essendon and should have won so as pointed out here Freo's form is not anywhere near as bad as the Crows. Matchups will be intriguing.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Sat 11 Jul 2020 8:21am Walters has often been a problem - speed and can mark. However Sandilands isn't there to torment us. I expect Fyfe to do a couple of reportable acts and not be reported. Jarryn might well remember the knee to the head Fyfe gave him - I think it was a knee, maybe a shin. Anyway As long as we don't take Freo lightly and stay patient with their negative style we should run out winners. I note they came back strong against Essendon and should have won so as pointed out here Freo's form is not anywhere near as bad as the Crows. Matchups will be intriguing.
Carlisle might also remember a similar incident in a match over in Perth two years ago.

Walters and Stephen Hill always play well against us, but they play well against everybody. And Fyfe is hard to match up on - has to be Steele today, you'd think.
Brayshaw hasn't really given us any headaches yet, so hopefully, that continues.

Their defence looks a bit patchwork for mine, Colyer, etc., so this is where they can be exploited. If Bradley Hill can find a bit of space on the wing and KIng and Membrey can stretch them, with Butler crumbing, we're winning.

I am personally excited by the run off half-back by Long, which we haven't had for a long time, and Carlisle's form as key position backman.

Like all of the teams we have played so far; North, Footscray, Collingwood, Richmond and Carlton, Fremantle's midfield is considered better than ours. It is just an observation but our team seems to be quicker than most, but not as fit. Maybe this will change as we play more games and our conditioning improves.

Our form at the Gold Coast venue is solid over the years without being spectacular - although we've only ever played poor/mediocre sides there.

The key to our improved form this year (I won't say season) has been our ability to jump out of the blocks and blow teams away with our run and carry combined with our accurate conversion, we do these things again today and we win.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
stevie
Saintsational Legend

Not sure how much the rain has affected Metricon. It can be pouring at my place ten minutes away but not at Carrara, and vice versa. I think Bris has had more rain than us overnight. Sun is out now so it might not be too bad

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

stevie wrote: Sat 11 Jul 2020 10:39am Not sure how much the rain has affected Metricon. It can be pouring at my place ten minutes away but not at Carrara, and vice versa. I think Bris has had more rain than us overnight. Sun is out now so it might not be too bad
Have you seen our Venga Bus go past yet?

asiu
Saintsational Legend

the bus is at Metricon

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote: Sat 11 Jul 2020 12:43am
What did I say. please say we are training s*** next time

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote: Sat 11 Jul 2020 4:04pm
Jacks Back wrote: Sat 11 Jul 2020 12:43am
What did I say. please say we are training s*** next time
:D :D :) :wink: