Team v Dockers

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Team v Dockers

In Jones
Out Hannebery

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Re: Team v Dockers

bergsone
SS Life Member

About what was expected,dont make changes to a winning side

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Even though we have been starting quickly I have feeling we will be slow to get into our groove on Saturday but then we will run over the top of them comfortably

King to kick 4

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Where are the Docks based?

We have a 3 hour bus ride from Noosa.

I remember clubs used to complain about the travel factor to Geelong in the old days.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Thu 09 Jul 2020 7:43pm Where are the Docks based?

I remember clubs used to complain about the travel factor to Geelong in the old days.
Yes because it was too close and it cut into their drinking time on the bus :twisted:

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Thu 09 Jul 2020 8:01pm
SaintPav wrote: Thu 09 Jul 2020 7:43pm Where are the Docks based?

Yes because it was too close and it cut into their drinking time on the bus :twisted:
:) :wink:

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Dockers are staying at RACV Royal Pines Resort, Google Maps says it's 2.8 km to Metricon.
Not 28 kms, 2.8 kms.
5 mins on a bus, or they could even walk there in a half hour, with the support staff bringing all the bags and equipment

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I’d have liked to have seen one of Byrnes or Bytel get a game. Feel like Lonie could have had a week off

Secret Kiel
Club Player

I don't think either Bytel or Byrnes are a realistic chance to play, if your only games in the past 3 years have been scratch matches and you haven't even played a game in the 2nd tier comp then it would be fool hardy to drop players who might not be playing at full flight but are at least match fit to the level required to survive in this years comp.

If Bytel or Byrnes get a game in the next month then I'd say it's safe to say we are tanking...or most of our team are infected with COVID-19.
Last edited by Secret Kiel on Thu 09 Jul 2020 8:47pm, edited 1 time in total.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Thu 09 Jul 2020 8:09pm Dockers are staying at RACV Royal Pines Resort, Google Maps says it's 2.8 km to Metricon.
Not 28 kms, 2.8 kms.
5 mins on a bus, or they could even walk there in a half hour, with the support staff bringing all the bags and equipment
2.8 kms? I'm surprised. We have stayed at Royal Pines 3 times and always walked to the ground. Nice pleasant 20 minute walk.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Thu 09 Jul 2020 8:35pm I don't think either Bytel or Byrnes are a realistic chance to play, if your only games in the past 3 years have been scratch matches and you haven't even played a game in the 2nd tier comp then it would be fool hardy to drop players who might not be playing at full flight but are at least match fit to the level required to survive in this years comp.

If Bytel or Byrnes get a game in the next month then I'd say it's safe to say we are tanking.
Yes cause great reserves form should NEVER be rewarded

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Thu 09 Jul 2020 8:47pm
Secret Kiel wrote: Thu 09 Jul 2020 8:35pm I don't think either Bytel or Byrnes are a realistic chance to play, if your only games in the past 3 years have been scratch matches and you haven't even played a game in the 2nd tier comp then it would be fool hardy to drop players who might not be playing at full flight but are at least match fit to the level required to survive in this years comp.

If Bytel or Byrnes get a game in the next month then I'd say it's safe to say we are tanking.
:D :wink:

saynta
Saintsational Legend

If Bytel or Byrnes get a game in the next month then I'd say it's safe to say we are tanking...or most of our team are infected with COVID-19.
bookmarked.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

You're stuck in an old paradigm dating back to 2019, this is a pandemic season. There is no "reserves" comp.

The reports you are reading are on player performance in scratch matches and are written by a club staff member.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Believe it or not, players can be picked due to their form on the training track

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Thu 09 Jul 2020 9:02pm

You're stuck in an old paradigm dating back to 2019, this is a pandemic season. There is no "reserves" comp.

The reports you are reading are on player performance in scratch matches and are written by a club staff member.
So practice matches ..... because great practice match form should NEVER be rewarded

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

SK has never predicted anything in his posting life, especially anything to do with the game we know as aussie rules. He's like those fundamentalist followers. No one takes him seriously except other doomsday preppers and other cult fanatics

He thinks people who want to study the game, including AFL coaches turn the sound up, so they don't miss any of BT's and Bruce's commentary

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

It’s good management to tell the players at the start of the year that they can play really poorly every week but they won’t be dropped because the reserves aren’t playing proper games.

It also helps with the morale of those outside the team, to know it doesn’t matter how well they train or play in the scratch matches, they won’t get a game in the seniors.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

If it rains, I'm.thinking one of the talls might get a last minute injury. At least Byrnes has had some wet weather exposure, albeit a scratch match.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Very few AFL players break into the team and are instantly top 22 players that remain in the top 22 throughout. Sure there are exceptions but it’s not the norm.

Looks at gives like Coffield, Clarke and Lonie...

At some point you need the experience to get better... it can also be a good eye opener as to the things a player needs to work on to get better.
The get selected, play, get dropped, come back once earned paradigm is one of the oldest in sports and has survived because it works.

If a guy like Byrnes gets selected, plays a game or two and is seen not to be ready just yet... personally, I wouldn’t consider it a failure. If he plays 10-15 games in his first 2years based off the fact that he’s pushing IMO it bodes well whilst he’s building up.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

In regards to Byrnes. One comment Ratten made about him was striking.
He said words to the effect of 'he seems the type that will just lift and adapt to whatever level he is playing'. He said it like he meant it.
This kid is quick, has a solid frame, kicks both feet, attacks stoppages and can break lines. Also handy around the goals. He has all the tools to break in. Sooner would be better than later but the team is already so young and good form and experience is running deep. I'm growing impatient for another genuine baller.
King, Clark, Coffield Byrnes and Bytel all coming on from the draft within 2 years would be sensational for our long term prospects but would also give us a huge lift now.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Fri 10 Jul 2020 12:54am In regards to Byrnes. One comment Ratten made about him was striking.
He said words to the effect of 'he seems the type that will just lift and adapt to whatever level he is playing'. He said it like he meant it.
This kid is quick, has a solid frame, kicks both feet, attacks stoppages and can break lines. Also handy around the goals. He has all the tools to break in. Sooner would be better than later but the team is already so young and good form and experience is running deep. I'm growing impatient for another genuine baller.
King, Clark, Coffield Byrnes and Bytel all coming on from the draft within 2 years would be sensational for our long term prospects but would also give us a huge lift now.
Great call. We have got some real depth and competition for spots now. Byrnes and Bytel are really promising, kick with both feet and are quick and powerful.

Some of our one sided mids will be under the pump.

Nee!
Secret Kiel
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Fri 10 Jul 2020 12:01am Very few AFL players break into the team and are instantly top 22 players that remain in the top 22 throughout. Sure there are exceptions but it’s not the norm.

Looks at gives like Coffield, Clarke and Lonie...

At some point you need the experience to get better... it can also be a good eye opener as to the things a player needs to work on to get better.
The get selected, play, get dropped, come back once earned paradigm is one of the oldest in sports and has survived because it works.

If a guy like Byrnes gets selected, plays a game or two and is seen not to be ready just yet... personally, I wouldn’t consider it a failure. If he plays 10-15 games in his first 2years based off the fact that he’s pushing IMO it bodes well whilst he’s building up.
And I have never heard of a player being prematurely picked that wasn't ready and being totally destroyed and subsequently losing confidence. The elite comp demands there is no room for passengers and it is a very old paradigm where a player could do his apprenticeship on an AFL field. It still happens but usually only at clubs that are basket cases and in total rebuild or are out of finals contention. If a boy who hasn't played a game for 3 years and hasn't even felt the heat in the VFL and is coming off a very serious injury is picked to play with the big boys and push his way past a deep list of quality AFL ready midfielders then I'm pretty certain the club isnt taking this years comp seriously. Bytel will get a game when the club has put the cue in the rack. That could happen quickly in the Asterisk Cup.

shrodes
SS Life Member

Back to the teams, Blacres is in for his debut, will be interesting to see how he goes at a new club