Leadership

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Leadership

It reared it’s ugly head again today. When things start going south, we have nothing, nobody, we can’t stop the rot.

In these circumstances, the coaching staff are helpless. It comes down to onfield leadership. And without Geary, we have none.

Whether you rate Seb Ross or not, it’s plain to see for everyone that he is no captain. His leadership seems nothing more than token. Furthermore, his game day efforts in 2020 have left his position in the team questionable at best. But he’s not alone, the rest of the “leadership” group have shown little. Yes we had winners everywhere against the Dogs, but there’s still no one who appears to say “come on lads, follow me”.

More worryingly, I don’t see a future captain coming through. There’s no obvious future leader. Jack Steele shows a bit, but he stands out more so because the void is so big.

In my opinion, we need to buy a leader. Like Brisbane did with Hodge. No idea who that is, or where we get them from, but right now, it’s frighteningly obvious it’s not from within.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Leadership

Yep. Sebby needs a week off.
Gresh too.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

This is what happens when you sell the farm for mercenaries of dubious character.
One was effing up on the eve of his arrival and the other is a broken down hack who allegedly outBuddied Buddy off field!

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Skunk is in the leadership group.
He can't do much leading when he gets shocking delivery and his other forwards don't help him

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Agree, largely. Big deficiency. Not sure leadership can be bought though. Richo was unable to develop leaders, perhaps Ratts can. it would be sad if the insipid efforts of certain highly paid senior players stifled potential leaders from the young group. Some of those not in the team seem, from afar, to have the confidence but when you are focused on just getting a game its hard to develop other qualities. This week is likely to be a watershed game in terms of who is fair dinkum,

takeaway
Club Player

I think it was more a case of an experienced, coordinated top 4 team playing a team with a lot of newcomers learning a different game style. Had to happen and will happen again. We will take some time to get things right, and we certainly have plenty to work on, including defensive pressure.

I don't think leadership is a great problem. There was plenty of verbal encouragement out there from Saints players, and as far as leading by example I doubt that a leader like say Joel Selwood would have made much difference. We were well beaten by a better side. What happened to Richmond's leaders on Thurs night? Or Hawks leaders v Geelong the week before?

You can't buy a leader, we have bought some good players, and leaders develop from within, especially after the team get more games together and hopefully has success. Good opportunity to get these things right in this practice season, ready for 2021.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

I will let Hamill and bj and Ball that you can’t buy leaders.
Contrast those 3 for a second with our 2 highest paid (apart from hill)

spert
Saintsational Legend

I thought Butler played like a captain should last night, and tried to take the game on, but he is not captain. No other experienced player led by example AT ALL. Great job by all our young guys- mistakes included and we should just keep playing them.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote: Sun 21 Jun 2020 12:46am It reared it’s ugly head again today. When things start going south, we have nothing, nobody, we can’t stop the rot.

In these circumstances, the coaching staff are helpless. It comes down to onfield leadership. And without Geary, we have none.

Whether you rate Seb Ross or not, it’s plain to see for everyone that he is no captain. His leadership seems nothing more than token. Furthermore, his game day efforts in 2020 have left his position in the team questionable at best. But he’s not alone, the rest of the “leadership” group have shown little. Yes we had winners everywhere against the Dogs, but there’s still no one who appears to say “come on lads, follow me”.

More worryingly, I don’t see a future captain coming through. There’s no obvious future leader. Jack Steele shows a bit, but he stands out more so because the void is so big.

In my opinion, we need to buy a leader. Like Brisbane did with Hodge. No idea who that is, or where we get them from, but right now, it’s frighteningly obvious it’s not from within.
Bit harsh on Seb and his footballing ability. He was named in the best players by the Herald sun, age and afl.com against the doggies.. Just because some on this forum don't rate him, doesn't mean others don't.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sun 21 Jun 2020 11:13am
Beno88 wrote: Sun 21 Jun 2020 12:46am It reared it’s ugly head again today. When things start going south, we have nothing, nobody, we can’t stop the rot.

Bit harsh on Seb and his footballing ability. He was named in the best players by the Herald sun, age and afl.com against the doggies.. Just because some on this forum don't rate him, doesn't mean others don't.
That's the trouble though Saynta, when we go well the ordinary players get carried along by the tide.
When the side struggles though we need a Hamill, Goddard or Lenny to lift their own output and challenge others around them.

longtimesaint
Club Player

We were soundly beaten in the midfield where the experiment of the two rucks has failed and meant that Marshall is nowhere near the player he was last year.
Also our midfielders don’t get the ball enough and I would be surprised if we don’t recall Dunstan next week.
With a losing midfield and the ball coming fast into our defence, we were exposed as very young and inexperienced against a very hardened seasoned team.
Looking at Long, Clark, Coffield and Howard they are very inexperienced and Geary and maybe Robbo would help there.

One year will be our year
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Sun 21 Jun 2020 3:56am Skunk is in the leadership group.
He can't do much leading when he gets shocking delivery and his other forwards don't help him
I'd say Max King certainly did help him.

The others not so much.

Disposal into the forward line - or release kick into forward 50 or whatever the call it these days continues to let us down.

This is a real weakness at the moment, has been since 2013 and renders the team helpless against reasonable opponents.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Sanctorum
Club Player

takeaway wrote: Sun 21 Jun 2020 9:28am I think it was more a case of an experienced, coordinated top 4 team playing a team with a lot of newcomers learning a different game style. Had to happen and will happen again. We will take some time to get things right, and we certainly have plenty to work on, including defensive pressure.

I don't think leadership is a great problem. There was plenty of verbal encouragement out there from Saints players, and as far as leading by example I doubt that a leader like say Joel Selwood would have made much difference. We were well beaten by a better side. What happened to Richmond's leaders on Thurs night? Or Hawks leaders v Geelong the week before?

You can't buy a leader, we have bought some good players, and leaders develop from within, especially after the team get more games together and hopefully has success. Good opportunity to get these things right in this practice season, ready for 2021.
Quite right takeaway, as much as I hate to admit, Collingwood played superbly and would have blown any opponent off the park with their relentless pressure and faultless teamwork, winners all over the ground.

A disappointing result nonetheless but they will learn from this experience, as Leigh Matthews used to say: you learn far more from your losses than your victories.

As for on-field leadership, it is doubtful that Geary would have made any difference, to be honest, St Kilda have lost far more games than they've won under his captaincy. Of the current leadership group, and Jack Steele is not amongst them, I would give the job to Bradley Hill as he is the type of player who leads by example, and it could also inspire him to elevate his game to the level he was at before crossing over to St Kilda.

Changes for next week: Luke Dunstan for Seb Ross (lacks impact) and Josh Battle for Jonathan Marsh. Nick Hind only had 4 disposals and scored the lowest (22) AF points and could lose out to either Jack Sinclair, Dean Kent or Ed Phillips, the latter two apparently starred in the scratch match against Collingwood seconds.

Wouldn't mind betting the boys to come out firing against Richmond next week.

"To do good is noble. To tell others to do good is even nobler and much less trouble.."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Sun 21 Jun 2020 1:00pm
takeaway wrote: Sun 21 Jun 2020 9:28am I think it was more a case of an experienced, coordinated top 4 team playing a team with a lot of newcomers learning a different game style. Had to happen and will happen again. We will take some time to get things right, and we certainly have plenty to work on, including defensive pressure.

Quite right takeaway, as much as I hate to admit, Collingwood played superbly and would have blown any opponent off the park with their relentless pressure and faultless teamwork, winners all over the ground.

A disappointing result nonetheless but they will learn from this experience, as Leigh Matthews used to say: you learn far more from your losses than your victories.

As for on-field leadership, it is doubtful that Geary would have made any difference, to be honest, St Kilda have lost far more games than they've won under his captaincy. Of the current leadership group, and Jack Steele is not amongst them, I would give the job to Bradley Hill as he is the type of player who leads by example, and it could also inspire him to elevate his game to the level he was at before crossing over to St Kilda.

Changes for next week: Luke Dunstan for Seb Ross (lacks impact) and Josh Battle for Jonathan Marsh. Nick Hind only had 4 disposals and scored the lowest (22) AF points and could lose out to either Jack Sinclair, Dean Kent or Ed Phillips, the latter two apparently starred in the scratch match against Collingwood seconds.

Wouldn't mind betting the boys to come out firing against Richmond next week.
Marsh was disappointing also.

BarryGrogan
Club Player

Dunstan should never play again.

He just can't use the ball. He's too limited as a runner to be a very good defensive mid - which means he has to be a ball winner. A ball winner that can't use it, is a liability.

Gresham is the same. He's a dangerous player, that isn't dangerous.

Lonie is an opportunist goal sneak that misses goals and doesn't take his opportunities.

Those 3 need to be squeezed out by a quality mid, and a very good small forward.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Three weeks later, same deal. No leaders. No one to stop the rot. No one who seems to care.

We have some talent, but the heart isn’t there.