2010 Qualifying final V Geelong - cheating umpires

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Re: 2010 Qualifying final V Geelong - cheating umpires

CURLY wrote: Mon 04 May 2020 2:10pm
The_Dud wrote: Sun 03 May 2020 7:47pm
saynta wrote: Sun 03 May 2020 6:51pm
kosifantutti wrote: Sun 03 May 2020 1:44pm
CURLY wrote: Sat 02 May 2020 4:09pm
Joffa Burns wrote: Sat 02 May 2020 10:22am
kosifantutti wrote: Fri 01 May 2020 10:55pm Not sure what the point of the thread is.

The Cats got an armchair ride that night.

Like the deliberate out of bounds free against Gilbo and the Hawkins mark that wasn’t paid?
Gilbert a foot from the boundary never changed the dirt of the ball no free. Hawkins push’s in the back then plays on.
Actually, it looks like Gilbert knocked it into Stokes’ foot.
Watching that clip only re-enforces my view that maggots are f****** cheats.

The ball came off Stokes foot. Jones should have been paid a holding free, the free to Hawkins was a joke and he definitely tried to handpass in that other incident. One time the maggots got it right. :roll:
Yep, they blatantly cheat against us the whole game, until the last minute where they pay us a free that wins us the game.

Makes complete sense... :shock:
So by missing so many frees our way all as clear as day is fine. Then paying one that was a free to give us the win we should have been three goals up.
Again, if they were cheating against us then why pay the free kick at the end to win us the game?

Simple question.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Mon 04 May 2020 4:48pm
CURLY wrote: Mon 04 May 2020 2:10pm
The_Dud wrote: Sun 03 May 2020 7:47pm
saynta wrote: Sun 03 May 2020 6:51pm
kosifantutti wrote: Sun 03 May 2020 1:44pm
CURLY wrote: Sat 02 May 2020 4:09pm
Joffa Burns wrote: Sat 02 May 2020 10:22am
kosifantutti wrote: Fri 01 May 2020 10:55pm Not sure what the point of the thread is.

The Cats got an armchair ride that night.

Like the deliberate out of bounds free against Gilbo and the Hawkins mark that wasn’t paid?
Gilbert a foot from the boundary never changed the dirt of the ball no free. Hawkins push’s in the back then plays on.
Actually, it looks like Gilbert knocked it into Stokes’ foot.
Watching that clip only re-enforces my view that maggots are f****** cheats.

The ball came off Stokes foot. Jones should have been paid a holding free, the free to Hawkins was a joke and he definitely tried to handpass in that other incident. One time the maggots got it right. :roll:
Yep, they blatantly cheat against us the whole game, until the last minute where they pay us a free that wins us the game.

Makes complete sense... :shock:
So by missing so many frees our way all as clear as day is fine. Then paying one that was a free to give us the win we should have been three goals up.
Again, if they were cheating against us then why pay the free kick at the end to win us the game?

Simple question.
Probably because it was so blatant he just blew the whistle didn't have time to think.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

:lol: :lol: :lol:

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Mon 04 May 2020 7:04pm :lol: :lol: :lol:
Unlike the cheat in 2009 GF with Sneider.

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Fri 01 May 2020 9:17pm Win us the game!

At the game I yelled BACK! when that happened. Saw teh umpire blow it.

Never watched it on replay until right then.

Leigh matthews agrees that it wa sin the back ...

Good enough for me.

Not cheating.

A rare correct decision.

Just a side note - it could have aklso been called for holding the man as after the ball was disposed of correctly, the player (Gwilt) was held onto and driven into the ground leading to the push in the back.

So technically it was 2 free kicks.

Disputing the decision should have been a 50 metre penalty.

Hmmm maybe the umpires were cheating after all.

OR are you just baiting me?

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote: Mon 04 May 2020 9:59pm
Joffa Burns wrote: Fri 01 May 2020 9:17pm Win us the game!

At the game I yelled BACK! when that happened. Saw teh umpire blow it.

Never watched it on replay until right then.

Leigh matthews agrees that it wa sin the back ...

Good enough for me.

Not cheating.

A rare correct decision.

Just a side note - it could have aklso been called for holding the man as after the ball was disposed of correctly, the player (Gwilt) was held onto and driven into the ground leading to the push in the back.

So technically it was 2 free kicks.

Disputing the decision should have been a 50 metre penalty.

Hmmm maybe the umpires were cheating after all.

OR are you just baiting me?
Just a bit of fun banter BFUSA, more for our resident umpire lover Mr Curly than anyone else.
I don't believe in umpire bias or cheating at all.
Interesting to note Nick R didn't think it was a free kick.

The only time I would agree umpires were biased against us was a period in 04/05 when Thomas was shooting his big mouth of about umpires and as you'd expect they hit back and we paid the price.

For me that was tackle was play on every day of the week and was play on 50 times in the 2009 GF.
You don't want to see soft frees like that paid in big games particularly at game changing moments, but we got one there IMO.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Freebird
Club Player

That's not true JB...you stated earlier that you believed when Thomas asked the umps to leave their egos at home they appeared not to favour saints...this indicates that if the umps don't like you then they will be bias.

Carlton received a wretched run against us last year when the Carlton cheer squad chanted cheats to the umps the week before.

Umps can cheat and have nothing to answer for as we consistently experience when playing Westcoast away

stevie
Saintsational Legend

In that QF in the last 20 seconds was an unpaid free to Schneider I just noticed

Freebird
Club Player

And you may also notice the free gwilt received was a pay back for one given against him just prior.

I thought the gwilt free should have been let go but we receive so many frees against when our opposition is caught with the ball and throw themselves forward. To me the former should be paid.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Freebird wrote: Tue 05 May 2020 2:09pm That's not true JB...you stated earlier that you believed when Thomas asked the umps to leave their egos at home they appeared not to favour saints...this indicates that if the umps don't like you then they will be bias.

Carlton received a wretched run against us last year when the Carlton cheer squad chanted cheats to the umps the week before.

Umps can cheat and have nothing to answer for as we consistently experience when playing Westcoast away
Correct. Nothing worse than someone that defends umpires by saying that what did you expect when the player or coach abused them. I'd expect them to umpire correctly

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Tue 05 May 2020 3:59pm
Freebird wrote: Tue 05 May 2020 2:09pm That's not true JB...you stated earlier that you believed when Thomas asked the umps to leave their egos at home they appeared not to favour saints...this indicates that if the umps don't like you then they will be bias.

Correct. Nothing worse than someone that defends umpires by saying that what did you expect when the player or coach abused them. I'd expect them to umpire correctly
No you don’t.

You don’t want the game umpired correctly at all, you want/expect 100% of the 50-50 decisions to go our way. Anything less than that and you’re spitting the dummy, frothing at the mouth screaming “cheats!!!”

As said earlier in this thread, it’s juvenile, ridiculous and embarrassing.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Tue 05 May 2020 4:18pm

No you don’t.

You don’t want the game umpired correctly at all, you want/expect 100% of the 50-50 decisions to go our way. Anything less than that and you’re spitting the dummy, frothing at the mouth screaming “cheats!!!”

No I want it umpired correctly. Prime example 2009 Grand final. Umpires allowed countless infringements to take place against Riewoldt. They then paid what can only be described as horrendously soft free to Ablett 25 out directly in front. So the umpires chose to umpire a player differently which is cheating.

The Sneider non free should have had the umpire fined his match fee and sacked.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

No curly you are simply and plainly wrong
Players "cheat" or try to suck umpires into free kicks
Umpires dont cheat
Umpires like everyone else on the planet (yes maybe even you) have bias - it is human nature however umpire train to try to eliminate bias
If you as a team believe umpires have a bias against you - its your problem - do something about it

If after those simple philosophies you still have a problem, and that stkilda is always getting shafted, then start praying to the grand wahzoo for a better system.

Seeya
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Tue 05 May 2020 4:45pm

No you don’t.

No I want it umpired correctly. Prime example 2009 Grand final. Umpires allowed countless infringements to take place against Riewoldt. They then paid what can only be described as horrendously soft free to Ablett 25 out directly in front. So the umpires chose to umpire a player differently which is cheating.

Free kicks went 23-19 our way. Terrible decisions go both ways, your selective biased summary is hardly any evidence.

We lost that game due to converting at 39% (compared to 60%) even though we had 3 more scoring shots.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Tue 05 May 2020 6:40pm

No you don’t.

Free kicks went 23-19 our way. Terrible decisions go both ways, your selective biased summary is hardly any evidence.

We lost that game due to converting at 39% (compared to 60%) even though we had 3 more scoring shots.
A goal that smashed into the post and a horrendous free to Ablett were invariably the difference

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Tue 05 May 2020 7:19pm

No you don’t.

A goal that smashed into the post and a horrendous free to Ablett were invariably the difference
Just like Roo’s free after half time and touched goal off the ground in the last 2 minutes of the Prelim were the difference in getting to the GF, eh?

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Tue 05 May 2020 8:05pm

No you don’t.

Just like Roo’s free after half time and touched goal off the ground in the last 2 minutes of the Prelim were the difference in getting to the GF, eh?
You mean the clear free to Roo after half time and a goal off the ground that was a goal

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Tue 05 May 2020 8:23pm

No you don’t.

You mean the clear free to Roo after half time and a goal off the ground that was a goal
Haha, yeah of course...

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Tue 05 May 2020 8:53pm
CURLY wrote: Tue 05 May 2020 8:23pm

No you don’t.

Haha, yeah of course...
Haters bring up the Roo free but fail to add that Robert Eddy was penalised for the exact same thing while the ball was in our forward line. Lake who had been warned picked Riewoldt off miles off the ball. I didn’t know that was allowed.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I have such bad memories associated with the Mooney free. Copped so much flak on BF rationalising this decision but for the life of me I cannot see where the contention is.

Cam tackles him across his back, then the momentum of Cam’s body in Gwilt’s back droves him into the ground where he then lands directly in top of Gwilt’s back.

I swear this should be the AFL rule committee’s video footage example of what this free kick looks like.

And ppl think it’s contentious

Moods
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Tue 05 May 2020 9:07pm
Haters bring up the Roo free but fail to add that Robert Eddy was penalised for the exact same thing while the ball was in our forward line. Lake who had been warned picked Riewoldt off miles off the ball. I didn’t know that was allowed.
C'mon mate. Even Roo himself has stated that he staged for that free. was the softest free kick ever paid. He knew that Lake had been warned so he went to ground and the umpire fell for it. You're confusing cheating with the umpires being human and making errors. An error doesn't mean he's cheating it means he's human.

I'd expect this nonsense from a Collingwood supporter..... 8-)

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Thu 07 May 2020 2:10am
C'mon mate. Even Roo himself has stated that he staged for that free. was the softest free kick ever paid. He knew that Lake had been warned so he went to ground and the umpire fell for it. You're confusing cheating with the umpires being human and making errors. An error doesn't mean he's cheating it means he's human.

I agree the free to Roo was staging the exact same as the one against Eddy in the second term. The umpire had already paid a similar free the Dogs way.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

I watched that game this week. It was at least the third time Roo had been targeted off the ball. You keep doing that, you’re going to get pinged eventually.

If you watch the Eddy free, Roo is getting bowled over in the background.

BTW I’m looking forward to the new Netflix show about Rob Eddy coming out this week. “The Eddy”.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote: Thu 07 May 2020 8:51am

I watched that game this week. It was at least the third time Roo had been targeted off the ball. You keep doing that, you’re going to get pinged eventually.

BTW I’m looking forward to the new Netflix show about Rob Eddy coming out this week. “The Eddy”.
That's the thing I find funny when people bang on about the Roo free. The umpire had set the standard with the free against EDDY and finally awarded Roo a free.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Thu 07 May 2020 9:50am
kosifantutti wrote: Thu 07 May 2020 8:51am

That's the thing I find funny when people bang on about the Roo free. The umpire had set the standard with the free against EDDY and finally awarded Roo a free.
But why pay the free at all if they’re actively cheating against us? 🤔