Our Shanghai fixture

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Our Shanghai fixture

Wishful thinking I know, but I thought I’d start a thread about our game in Shanghai.
I’d suggest this one be kept free of:
Daily death updates,
Random stories on the coronavirus,
Essays about the Australian media,
Discussions of ageism,
Anything else that doesn’t directly relate to the game.

I’ll try to copy all the relevant posts from the other thread here.
StPeter wrote: Tue 28 Jan 2020 2:00am i am wondering if the outbreak of this virus and the restricted flights and movement within China

might see a change of fixture for our "home" game against Port ?
Saintmatt wrote: Wed 29 Jan 2020 12:31pm This was reported last night - https://www.3aw.com.au/afl-clash-in-chi ... ing-ahead/
saynta wrote: Tue 04 Feb 2020 10:51am herald sun.com.au

"Port Adelaide is monitoring the threat of coronavirus outbreak, but still plans on making its fourth trip to China for Shanghai match

Port Adelaide is planning a reconnaissance trip to China in March and expects to know by then if the coronavirus outbreak poses any threat to its scheduled game against St Kilda in May

Port Adelaide expects to know by late March whether its fourth annual game in China is in any doubt, but for now says it’s business as usual despite the ongoing threat of the coronavirus.

The club says ticket sales for the game against St Kilda in Shanghai on May 31 are continuing and club resources are preparing for the clash to go ahead.

But it will monitor the situation and is taking advice from both the Australian and Chinese governments as Qantas suspended direct flights to China from February 9 and the Federal Government introduced a ban on tourists from China on Saturday.

Representatives from the AFL and Port Adelaide are planning a reconnaissance trip to China in March and those plans remained in place today.

The number of Wuhan coronavirus deaths in mainland China surpassed 360 on the weekend and the total number of cases worldwide exceeded 17,000.

The Power have played the Gold Coast twice, in 2017 and 2018, and St Kilda last year at Jiangwan Stadium in Shanghai and plans to make the game a long-term fixture.

It has drawn crowds of 10,000 to each game, which Port Adelaide has won by an average margin of 10 goals.
saynta wrote: Thu 06 Feb 2020 10:27am Latest from AFL.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... 39c91746d9

"The AFL is yet to make a contingency for its China game, amid concerns coronavirus containment and any possible vaccines or treatments are still “months” away.

Chief executive Gillon McLachlan confirmed yesterday the May 31 Shanghai fixture was under “weekly” review, largely dependent on advice from the Australian government and World Health Organisation.

But the AFL has not set in place an alternative venue."
I think I’ve got everything

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
asiu
Saintsational Legend

Re: Our Shanghai fixture

:D

very good

whistling whistling whistling

not much happening in this thread
... the other ones a pearler

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
StPeter
Club Player

Channel 7 news tonight said that Darwin is being considered as an alternative to recoup the revenue lost from the China game.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Our Shanghai fixture

Cairns not Darwin.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote: Sat 29 Feb 2020 7:15pm Cairns not Darwin.

Darwin would be better - as we have to play the Suns there the following week.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

The Suns game is two weeks later. But the AFL is trying to get the Queensland Government to underwrite the game. I doubt the NT Government would underwrite two games in a fortnight, with the same team playing twice.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

kosifantutti wrote: Sat 29 Feb 2020 10:47pm The Suns game is two weeks later. But the AFL is trying to get the Queensland Government to underwrite the game. I doubt the NT Government would underwrite two games in a fortnight, with the same team playing twice.
Yes, I thought we had a bye after China.
But we've played in Townsville before, why Cairns?

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Reality is the AFL know that if the QLD government doesn’t help us recoup the lost money from Shanghai, it would mean an even higher distribution from the AFL to us next year.

That’s what they care about.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote: Sat 29 Feb 2020 10:47pm The Suns game is two weeks later. But the AFL is trying to get the Queensland Government to underwrite the game. I doubt the NT Government would underwrite two games in a fortnight, with the same team playing twice.
Two weeks later - oh well, fair enough.

If it comes off and the club make a quid, great. But why would the Queensland State Government care enough to pay a million bucks for a club from the Port of Adelaide and one from an inner city suburb of Melbourne to play in far north Queensland which is a rugby heartland? Last year in Townsville was a bit different because at least we played a Queensland side.

At least in the Northern Territory people care about Australian Rules Football. And most people up there support a club.

Anyway, it looks like we will have only played Port Adelaide in Victoria twice in twelve years if this goes ahead.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
asiu
Saintsational Legend

QSG could run it as a fundraiser
for those doing it rough
... make their $ back plus a bit

??

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.