Saints set to reveal leadership group (expected Geary captain, no DanHan)

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

shrodes
SS Life Member

Saints set to reveal leadership group (expected Geary captain, no DanHan)

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-20 ... 948cf114d2
Jarryn Geary is set to remain St Kilda captain for a fourth season in 2020.
Foxfooty.com.au understands the defender, who will not play at Moorabbin against Hawthorn on Thursday night but will feature later in the Marsh Community Series, was again the overwhelming favourite in the recent vote.

The club is expected to officially announce its leadership group in the coming days.

Dual best and fairest Seb Ross will join Geary in the leadership group again, while Tim Membrey, whose reputation has grown over the summer with Ross and Geary both sidelined with calf strains, is expected to be retained. There will be no co-captaincy situation.

Dan Hannebery’s broken foot and subsequent recovery, which didn’t see him join the main group until after Christmas, means he’s highly unlikely to be named in the leadership group. The left-footer is fit now and played well in St Kilda’s intra-club last week.

Hannebery was named in the leadership group in his first year at the club, but was told to focus on his recovery part-way through the campaign and replaced by defender Nathan Brown.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

Re: Saints set to reveal leadership group (expected Geary captain, no DanHan)

"Overwhelmingly"

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Told ya.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Tue 18 Feb 2020 12:56pm "Overwhelmingly"
'Overwhelming' lol.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

... they pretty much know who to vote for when it comes time to execute thier democratic right as a voter.

bit of ‘ i like it both ways’
going on around this place ... seemingly

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
Secret Kiel
Club Player

asiu wrote: Tue 18 Feb 2020 3:00pm
... they pretty much know who to vote for when it comes time to execute thier democratic right as a voter.

bit of ‘ i like it both ways’
going on around this place ... seemingly
We do live in the modern age where bi-decision making is accepted.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

If anyone has sighted To the Top, please check on his welfare

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

If anyone has sighted To the Top, please check on his welfare

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Nick_BlueNRG
Club Player

I don't agree with this decision. This was the perfect time to start fresh with a new captain. Now Geary will have to play every week regardless of form and in my opinion there are a lot of medium defenders that have gone past him. I won't name them all because we all know who they are. I can see later this year everyone arguing again because Geary's form doesn't warrant selection but because he is captain he will keep being played.

I hope I'm wrong.

(M)ake (S)t Kilda (S)elf (S)ustainable
To the top
SS Life Member

Geary must be some super star Captain

After all they sacked Roo as Captain to give the honour to Geary

Roo being Nick Riewoldt

The question now is for how many seasons does our super star Captain and player continue holding our defence together, a defence which has so easily been scored against hence the position we occupy on the Premiership Ladder

And we will once again see Geary free in a back pocket waving his hands around demanding the ball - only to turn it over and cost us yet another goal

He is the Captain after all

To the top
SS Life Member

Geary must be some super star Captain

Roo being Nick Riewoldt

The question now is for how many seasons does our super star Captain and player continue holding our defence together, a defence which has so easily been scored against hence the position we occupy on the Premiership Ladder

And we will once again see Geary free in a back pocket waving his hands around demanding the ball - only to turn it over and cost us yet another goal

Sanctorum
Club Player

Disappointing, but not surprising as it has been reported before that the players hold Geary in high regard.

It is what it is.....but you'd like to think that he will be selected only on the basis of him being the best available for whatever position they want him to play in the team, and I expect that the selectors will follow that approach when he is eventually fully fit. It should also be noted that if Geary breaks down again and is unable to play, that he may well not see the season out - that has happened many times before in the AFL.

It's not worth losing sleep over, we just have to have faith in the selectors to do what is right.....

"To do good is noble. To tell others to do good is even nobler and much less trouble.."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
minneapolis
Club Player

I also thought it would be a good opportunity for a change.

Ratts could not control the vote so I guess he has to play him. (Your job, Mr Phelps, if you choose to accept it, is to sneak into the Club and find Ratts voting paper. This post will self-destruct in 5 seconds).

I don't like him that much in the backline. Ratts could use him as a defensive forward or more likely a run-with player. He has good endurance and discipline.

Also note that in his interview Ratts said he will play most or all of the six new players most weeks. As I said...

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
asiu
Saintsational Legend

iirc ... from an interview with Ratts on SEN Saints day

everyone (most) involved with the Club
got a vote ... which was worth 20%

leaving the players with 80%

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
terry smith rules
SS Life Member

To the top wrote: Tue 18 Feb 2020 9:06pm Geary must be some super star Captain

Roo being Nick Riewoldt

It must really do your head in following the Saints. You have been driving an anti Geary agenda for at least two years now and how that makes us so mediocre

Do you ever actually enjoy watching the footy or is all your emotion channeled into this Geary agenda.

Another point you are forever going on about his disposal and goals (many) that he costs us every time he gets the ball

Instead of these sweeping generalisations how about giving us 10 specific examples where he has been passed the ball in the back pocket and then cost us a goal.

Fqf

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

If the club wanted a change they should have changed the process and made the decision.

They could have also made them vote for co-captains.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Wed 19 Feb 2020 9:29am If the club wanted a change they should have changed the process and made the decision.

Good point

What if they're looking for a fall guy if this season turns to shite

Secret Kiel
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Thu 20 Feb 2020 9:54am
SaintPav wrote: Wed 19 Feb 2020 9:29am If the club wanted a change they should have changed the process and made the decision.

Good point

What if they're looking for a fall guy if this season turns to shite
That's probably how decisions might be made at junior footy clubs.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

terry smith rules wrote: Wed 19 Feb 2020 9:17am

Roo being Nick Riewoldt

It must really do your head in following the Saints. You have been driving an anti Geary agenda for at least two years now and how that makes us so mediocre

Do you ever actually enjoy watching the footy or is all your emotion channeled into this Geary agenda.

Another point you are forever going on about his disposal and goals (many) that he costs us every time he gets the ball

Instead of these sweeping generalisations how about giving us 10 specific examples where he has been passed the ball in the back pocket and then cost us a goal.

Fqf
Cue the dream time stats please and turn down the Lights...oh and pass the popcorn.

Sanctorum
Club Player

Roo being Nick Riewoldt

Fqf
In defence of this post by "terry smith rules" I think it is fair to say that he is far from the only one to have it in for Jarryn Geary - I also happen to feel that irrespective of his leadership on the field, Geary is in my view only a mediocre player and would struggle to be in the best 22 in any of the top teams, and yes, I too would have preferred the team to have a new captain for season 2020 for reasons that have been well argued previously, not least being that the club now has a lot of younger players that have arguably surpassed Geary. But having such a view (and using the right we all possess to express these on this forum) should not draw condemnation, nor should expressing such views indicate that following the Saints "does our heads in".

It is quite normal for supporters to have opinions one way or the other about individual players and coaches but that hardly indicates that this makes one enjoy following the Saints any the less!

"To do good is noble. To tell others to do good is even nobler and much less trouble.."

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Thu 20 Feb 2020 4:43pm

Roo being Nick Riewoldt

Fqf
In defence of this post by "terry smith rules" I think it is fair to say that he is far from the only one to have it in for Jarryn Geary - I also happen to feel that irrespective of his leadership on the field, Geary is in my view only a mediocre player and would struggle to be in the best 22 in any of the top teams, and yes, I too would have preferred the team to have a new captain for season 2020 for reasons that have been well argued previously, not least being that the club now has a lot of younger players that have arguably surpassed Geary. But having such a view (and using the right we all possess to express these on this forum) should not draw condemnation, nor should expressing such views indicate that following the Saints "does our heads in".

It is quite normal for supporters to have opinions one way or the other about individual players and coaches but that hardly indicates that this makes one enjoy following the Saints any the less!
I think you have named the wrong poster there sport.

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

Roo being Nick Riewoldt

Fqf

Firstly - he may be a mediocre player but who in our squad is going to shut down the likes of Charlie Cameron (on exposed form 19/2/20 pre game) - no one I suspect

Therefore he is a required and important player

Secondly there are plenty of players for various clubs who play great roles for their team but would struggle elsewhere. For example B.Mihocek from Collingwood

Thirdly , when have all these young players surpassed him, in the gym over summer? Right now they have to take his spot

Lastly, TTT has posted many many times on this agenda. We get it, and just as he has a right to denigrate a st kilda player I have a right as a supporter to defend him. I think it is a complete waste of energy to continually bag your own players, enjoy the good times and the bad and support the colours.

Let me ask you this question if we won the flag this year and Geary got up to accept the trophy, would you applaud and cheer him, because if the baggers did they are hypocrites

fqf

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
Sanctorum
Club Player

saynta wrote: Thu 20 Feb 2020 5:08pm

Roo being Nick Riewoldt

Fqf

I think you have named the wrong poster there sport.
Oops....got confused with all the "quoting"....I'll rephrase that:

In defence of this post by "to the top" I think it is fair to say that he is far from the only one to have it in for Jarryn Geary - I also happen to feel that irrespective of his leadership on the field, Geary is in my view only a mediocre player and would struggle to be in the best 22 in any of the top teams, and yes, I too would have preferred the team to have a new captain for season 2020 for reasons that have been well argued previously, not least being that the club now has a lot of younger players that have arguably surpassed Geary. But having such a view (and using the right we all possess to express these on this forum) should not draw condemnation, nor should expressing such views indicate that following the Saints "does our heads in".

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote: Tue 18 Feb 2020 9:07pm Geary must be some super star Captain

Roo being Nick Riewoldt

From the guy who labelled Acres a match winner, Austin a future key defender and Ross as not AFL standard.

I preferred your made up war references & your drivel around trickle down economics to this constant Geary bashing.

Perhaps write "I repeat" Geary should not be captain, as you repeating a sentence gives it much more credibility :lol:

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Geary is a damned hard worker.
Very high standards of preparation and training.
Earns the respect of the entire group.

On game day, his playing standard is as BAD as his training standard is GOOD.
Liability.
Turnover Merchant.
Oppo forwards love him because he is reliable in terms of he can be relied on to do something from Fawlty Towers
End of rant

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee