Will King have meaningful impact this year?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Re: Will King have meaningful impact this year?

Secret Kiel wrote: Mon 27 Jan 2020 10:12am
CQ SAINT wrote: Sun 26 Jan 2020 9:43pm
Secret Kiel wrote: Sun 26 Jan 2020 9:34pm A captain being a backup could be ground breaking.
So if he is no longer captain, what then?
Yeah look I understand the mindset amoungst a small group of fans towards Jarryn but the club isn't being run by petty amateurs so his day to pass over the captaincy and then subsequently retire will be done with class, professionalism and mutual respect. Who knows, there could be a massive surprise and he could be handing it over for 2020 but that is highly doubtful.

BR would be stamping his own papers if he was to rock the boat too early. He'd end up looking like that guy that took over the coaching role at Melbourne a few years back.
Yes. True. Roo stepping down and the mantle being passed to Geary certainly stamped Richo's papers and given the huge success Jarryn's term has accomplished why would we do that now. Err...he deserves a year with a decent list I guess. Because guys like Membrey Ross Gresham and Marshall still have so much to learn from him in terms of training hard and getting the most out themselves.
I won't be disappointed if they keep Geary but FFS enough of the diatribe about class professionalism and respect. Lack of that is what got him the job in the first place.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

If you youtube search "King" and "Coleman (medal)" .. you end up with this guy .... who's the opposite of a baby giraffe.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

said at the time that whoever shafted roo and removed his captaincy, so close to an afl record that he deserved for his years at the club and outstanding leadership, should hang his head in shame. if it was richo's call then the powers that be should have overruled him. and what did it achieve? absolutely nothing, but a well deserved acknowledgement was ripped from roo's record.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Secret Kiel
Club Player

CQ SAINT wrote: Mon 27 Jan 2020 1:30pm
Secret Kiel wrote: Sun 26 Jan 2020 9:34pm A captain being a backup could be ground breaking.
Yeah look I understand the mindset amoungst a small group of fans towards Jarryn but the club isn't being run by petty amateurs so his day to pass over the captaincy and then subsequently retire will be done with class, professionalism and mutual respect. Who knows, there could be a massive surprise and he could be handing it over for 2020 but that is highly doubtful.

BR would be stamping his own papers if he was to rock the boat too early. He'd end up looking like that guy that took over the coaching role at Melbourne a few years back.
Yes. True. Roo stepping down and the mantle being passed to Geary certainly stamped Richo's papers and given the huge success Jarryn's term has accomplished why would we do that now. Err...he deserves a year with a decent list I guess. Because guys like Membrey Ross Gresham and Marshall still have so much to learn from him in terms of training hard and getting the most out themselves.
I won't be disappointed if they keep Geary but FFS enough of the diatribe about class professionalism and respect. Lack of that is what got him the job in the first place.
Can you elaborate on your last two sentences.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Mon 27 Jan 2020 3:00pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Mon 27 Jan 2020 1:30pm

Can you elaborate on your last two sentences.
I think the lines preceding it did that well enough. Geary's value as a player playing a role as a lockdown small defender is, and was always the best he has to offer. If Roo had little to offer to the role in 2017, Geary has less in 2020.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Richo’s effort was a success that built a foundation that will last a generation
Equally, Geary’s established his own legacy amongst our great Captains... Riewoldt, Hayes, Hamil, Frawley, and Geary.. all equal yet different

And then let’s us not forget the greatness of Billy Longer too... who was respected by his teammates ahead of all others because he protected them by blocking and tapping... yes he gave everything one could hope for in a player minus good performances, improvement and more than 2 marks a game + any degree of scoring + a tackle.
Certainly on talking with Marshall and Paddy... both have said they want to be more like Billy

What a funny discussion. Ppl post such fun things from what is pbly, based on the hero worship, our greatest era of all time

Secret Kiel
Club Player

Very.

Take the simplistic nature of the midset to its logical conclusion and link the team's performance of say between 2011 to 2016 to that of Roos captaincy and what did Roo offer in those years...as a Captain.

Just makes me cringe writing that.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Mon 27 Jan 2020 4:00pm Very.

Take the simplistic nature of the midset to its logical conclusion and link the team's performance of say between 2011 to 2016 to that of Roos captaincy and what did Roo offer in those years...as a Captain.

In simple terms, Geary's time as Captain is done as there is no logical reason to continue with it. Let's just stick your your original ramblings about class, professionalism and respect and convince him to stand down and let the players vote in a new one.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

CQ SAINT wrote: Mon 27 Jan 2020 6:20pm

In simple terms, Geary's time as Captain is done as there is no logical reason to continue with it. Let's just stick your your original ramblings about class, professionalism and respect and convince him to stand down and let the players vote in a new one.

And so we will know within the next week or so who is Captain for 2020. Let's continue then.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Mon 27 Jan 2020 7:16pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Mon 27 Jan 2020 6:20pm

And so we will know within the next week or so who is Captain for 2020. Let's continue then.
Fair enough. I hope our man is in full training by then.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Mon 27 Jan 2020 3:48pm Richo’s effort was a success that built a foundation that will last a generation.
There are a lot of people at our club and in the industry that agree. He wasn't cut out for certain aspects of the head coach role, the media stuff being exhibit A. Many believe he will be for Melbourne, what Balmy became for Richmond in 2017. Has clearly added value to the club's he's been involved with over a very long time and clearly the industry believes he can continue to do that which is evident in Melbourne wasting no time in bringing him to their club.

His time was up at our club though it is a rare situation where a recently departed coach would be welcomed back by all, the moment he left.

minneapolis
Club Player

samoht wrote: Mon 27 Jan 2020 2:27pm If you youtube search "King" and "Coleman (medal)" .. you end up with this guy .... who's the opposite of a baby giraffe.
Gees the nurse wouldn't have any difficulty getting a blood sample from that body, would she?

(Though I suggest that the Red Cross wouldn't want any).

(It was my first thought because due to circumstances a couple of my kids have given many blood samples over the years and lots of times the nurse couldn't get a vein. They had to bring in the phlebotomist and the UV light).

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

minneapolis wrote: Tue 28 Jan 2020 4:55am
samoht wrote: Mon 27 Jan 2020 2:27pm If you youtube search "King" and "Coleman (medal)" .. you end up with this guy .... who's the opposite of a baby giraffe.
Gees the nurse wouldn't have any difficulty getting a blood sample from that body, would she?

(It was my first thought because due to circumstances a couple of my kids have given many blood samples over the years and lots of times the nurse couldn't get a vein. They had to bring in the phlebotomist and the UV light).
As a trained phlebotomist though I haven’t done it for a while...
Sometimes the challenge can be that the skin it too tough so you have enter it so to speak, more forcefully which means there’s greater potential to go through the vein or for it roll.

Alternatively those gaping veins on the body are likely to move around a lot because they’re so close to the surface and have less connective tissue around them

Could be trickier than it looks.

Always better to go for the vein that you can feel rather than the one you can see

That being said... there are certainly options

minneapolis
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Tue 28 Jan 2020 10:53am
minneapolis wrote: Tue 28 Jan 2020 4:55am

As a trained phlebotomist though I haven’t done it for a while...
Sometimes the challenge can be that the skin it too tough so you have enter it so to speak, more forcefully which means there’s greater potential to go through the vein or for it roll.

Alternatively those gaping veins on the body are likely to move around a lot because they’re so close to the surface and have less connective tissue around them

Could be trickier than it looks.

Always better to go for the vein that you can feel rather than the one you can see

That being said... there are certainly options
Hey Skeptic,

Thanks very much.

This place is amazing.

"Always better to go for the vein that you can feel rather than the one you can see" must be the inspirational quote of the decade for a modern footy coach. I love it.

(Also I was a little surprised at the speed of the physical development of Max. The weight guys must be top notch).

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

If the queen passes away I think yes.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

I'd like to see him play a couple of games early and unless he's in red hot form (why would you flirt with that and unnecessarily kill confidence) - have a spell at Sandy for a couple of weeks and then rinse and repeat for the first half of the season. My gut feel is that once the frenetic pace and heat of the first 6 weeks of the season dissipates - Max (with his still light build) could be much more damaging once the defenders are starting to tire a little as they work into the season.

If we get 20 goals out of Max this season - I'll be very pleased.

Go you red, black & white warriors
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Fri 24 Jan 2020 8:57pm If he can remain injury free he will scare a lot of defences...
Is that worth saying four times though?!!!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Nick_BlueNRG
Club Player

Saintmatt wrote: Wed 29 Jan 2020 12:21pm I'd like to see him play a couple of games early and unless he's in red hot form (why would you flirt with that and unnecessarily kill confidence) - have a spell at Sandy for a couple of weeks and then rinse and repeat for the first half of the season. My gut feel is that once the frenetic pace and heat of the first 6 weeks of the season dissipates - Max (with his still light build) could be much more damaging once the defenders are starting to tire a little as they work into the season.

If we get 20 goals out of Max this season - I'll be very pleased.
Barring injury, Max will kick at least 30 goals in 2020!!!!

(M)ake (S)t Kilda (S)elf (S)ustainable