Will King have meaningful impact this year?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Will King have meaningful impact this year?

If he can kick 19/20 goals this year it would be phenomenal.

Hopefully he can play 10-12 senior matches and stay injury free - towards the end of the season he might tire.

If he does that I reckon he's done more than his job this year.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote: Fri 24 Jan 2020 2:03pm Theoretically he should go better than his brother so should play at least 10 games and kick 15 goals.
Plus one.
I am guessing 10-12 senior matches and 19 or 20 goals at the most.
If he does that it is a phenomenal return.

He will tire towards the end of the season.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
damienc
Club Player

I think the expectation meter is currently in the red zone and smoking. If Max manages to debut this year, it will be a bonus.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

If the club can get him on the park, consistently, then we will get some answers.

If he gives us anything at all this season then that will be a bonus.

The list changes for 2025 have begun, always an interesting time for an avid supporter.
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Secret Kiel wrote: Fri 24 Jan 2020 10:22am Isn't it always hard to know what to expect without a sample or body of work and we don't have to look too far back in the club's history to find examples of high DPs failing. The kid is a porcelain giraffe atm so he's got some work to do before he has the physique and endurance to mix it with the big boys consistently. I dont think he'll debut until after round 4 minimum.
Perfect summation.
I suggest the club isn't putting pressure on him, because he's still so young. Lot of learning to do, he'll be up against hardened men with years of experience.
I believe his height will draw defenders like a magnet, and Skunk will get more ball as a result.
But King's impact will be seen in 2 years, consistently.
Learning curve.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Nick_BlueNRG wrote: Fri 24 Jan 2020 2:27pm I reckon King will be in the top 5 for contested marks this year and kick 35 goals. If his knee holds up.
'Top 5'
Darryl Kerrigan says 'tell him he's dreaming'
Lol

If he learns well, develops well, top 5 in about 4-5 years.
Big hypothetical.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
freely
SS Hall of Fame

At least there'll be a bit less focus on him debuting this year because of the 'big 5' new recruits. Hopefully, less pressure. Although, if his brother takes it to the next level, he might get more heat.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

David King has picked him for the rising star! He must being trying to curse him or something as he hates the saints

Anyway I recon 20 goals for the big fella this season

His bro kicked 17 from 14 matches and would have had more trying conditions playing for GC

#1 Ryder fan
DJ Higgins
Club Player

I saw him at sandy last year and he didn't stand out. He was still learning his craft and kept getting knocked clear of the contest due to his size. But he seems to have gotten bigger over time but we saw the ease that carlisle pushed him out of the howard mark on the other thread, expect him to run all day and get into space but don't expect a lot of contested possessions just yet.

One thing I did notice is he glides over the grass and covers so much ground so with decent delivery he should get the odd goal per game

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

DJ Higgins wrote: Sun 26 Jan 2020 12:30pm I saw him at sandy last year and he didn't stand out. He was still learning his craft and kept getting knocked clear of the contest due to his size. But he seems to have gotten bigger over time but we saw the ease that carlisle pushed him out of the howard mark on the other thread, expect him to run all day and get into space but don't expect a lot of contested possessions just yet.

One thing I did notice is he glides over the grass and covers so much ground so with decent delivery he should get the odd goal per game
I'm not sure what Carlisle did was completely within the rules. It isn't hard to block a player illegally, getting away with it is another thing. Nevertheless, King will only learn from this type of training and more iimportantly, match exposure.
I'm keen to see him leading and hitting packs.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

If our forward line are all standing around forming packs for the opposition to cluster and crowd, I will be very disappointed.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

How exactly does King play?

I’m hearing the phrase ‘hit packs’ a lot... the implication being he smashes into packs and takes contested marks. Personally I would be completely against that, especially given his fragility to date.

I would much rather get him 1:1 and get used to using speed and size to advantage

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sun 26 Jan 2020 2:22pm How exactly does King play?

I’m hearing the phrase ‘hit packs’ a lot... the implication being he smashes into packs and takes contested marks. Personally I would be completely against that, especially given his fragility to date.

I would much rather get him 1:1 and get used to using speed and size to advantage
Taking into.consideration a comment quoting Lade about King bringing the ball to ground a lot this year and the kick in that video that Howard took the mark in, I'm guessing that the coaches want him leaping, (crashing is a dramatic description) into packs to get his hands to the ball.

I'd rather see him lead, where he will be in less danger and have an advantage but it's not that hard to block leading forwards with interceptors and him leading will get predictable.

Its probably difficult to maintain defence against both so flexibilty will be the key.

Ryder, Marshall, Battle, Membrey and King offer a variety of marking abilities and strengths. I thinks it will be more about set play than playing to any individuals strengths. At least u til King matures physically or in other words, shakes the porcelain giraffe tag.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

King can both take contested marks or on the lead based on his u18 highlights but he is up against men so pack marking just got harder. You will see soon enough the space he can generate from nothing
Last edited by DJ Higgins on Mon 27 Jan 2020 7:10pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nick_BlueNRG
Club Player

WellardSaint wrote: Sat 25 Jan 2020 6:56pm
Nick_BlueNRG wrote: Fri 24 Jan 2020 2:27pm I reckon King will be in the top 5 for contested marks this year and kick 35 goals. If his knee holds up.
'Top 5'
Darryl Kerrigan says 'tell him he's dreaming'
Lol

If he learns well, develops well, top 5 in about 4-5 years.
Big hypothetical.
I'm happy to back in my opinion. Time will tell.

(M)ake (S)t Kilda (S)elf (S)ustainable
Nick_BlueNRG
Club Player

I think Logan Austin will surprise a lot of people this year. He should be at full back because he is magnificent at spoiling and has the height and pace. IMHO, there is enough room to play 3 talls in the backline. Austin, Howard and Carlisle. Personally I would not play Roberton unless one of these 3 were injured. The other 3 in the backline I would assume would need to be 2 mediums and one small. Whatever the case might be I would not play Geary unless forced by injuries.

(M)ake (S)t Kilda (S)elf (S)ustainable
Secret Kiel
Club Player

A captain being a backup could be ground breaking.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Sun 26 Jan 2020 9:34pm A captain being a backup could be ground breaking.
So if he is no longer captain, what then?

To the top
SS Life Member

I would have Marshall at CHF relieving Ryder in the ruck

Marshall has all the attributes to dominate with his mobility and football skills

Then there is Membrey and King, with the opposition needing to decide who their number 2 defender goes to

If the number 2 defender needs to be assigned to King then success to St Kilda - and how dangerous does Membrey become with his stretch marking ability?

And if the number 2 goes to Membrey then King with his physical attributes of height and pace will test his opponent

Then, at ground level we have Billings, Gresham and Long

As offered elsewhere I do have a reservation with Steele, Ross and Dunstan noting all should bring at least defensive pressure

On the plus side we have Jones and Hill, both with genuine pace

I have always subscribed to building sides from the defensive 6 - so all with defensive skills but also with premium ball handling skills so turning defence into attack with carry and precision over distance

So any of our back 6 get their hands on the ball and we punish

The key defenders will be Carlisle on the outer line with Howard on the last line

In support I would have Battle, Roberton, Clark and Coffield all of whom have excellent skills - plus there is height

The other matter not seemingly highlighted these days is 2 sided players - so they can equally go either side

This is why Roberton is an improvement on Wilkie - and similar analysis is afforded elsewhere to arrive at the 6 I would like to see in our defensive structure

Precise skills so with the ball in hand we punish

Which brings us back to Marshall, King and Membrey and the quick and decisive delivery to them finding them structured and one out

With Billings, Gresham and Long loitering with intent

So there you go

Harves Man
Club Player

Impatient Sainter wrote: Fri 24 Jan 2020 8:57pm If he can remain injury free he will scare a lot of defences...
Yep!

Yep!

Yep!

Yep! :D

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

10 games and 12 goals would be a strong showing for a baby giraffe that's barely played in 2 years

saynta
Saintsational Legend

DJ Higgins wrote: Sun 26 Jan 2020 3:34pm King can both take contrsted marks or on the lead based on his u18 highlights but he is. Up against .men so pack marking just got hatder. You will see soon enough the space he can generate from nothing

His brother won the sprint at last year's grannie and our boy is supposedly faster, so yeah. :D

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

I honestly would trade goals for a full season....He plays every game and stays healthy, that's worth 50 goals.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

CQ SAINT wrote: Sun 26 Jan 2020 9:43pm
Secret Kiel wrote: Sun 26 Jan 2020 9:34pm A captain being a backup could be ground breaking.
So if he is no longer captain, what then?
Yeah look I understand the mindset amoungst a small group of fans towards Jarryn but the club isn't being run by petty amateurs so his day to pass over the captaincy and then subsequently retire will be done with class, professionalism and mutual respect. Who knows, there could be a massive surprise and he could be handing it over for 2020 but that is highly doubtful.

BR would be stamping his own papers if he was to rock the boat too early. He'd end up looking like that guy that took over the coaching role at Melbourne a few years back.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

30 goals should be his target.

Nee!