Locks and openings round 1

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Re: Locks and openings round 1

I reckon coff will be a lock by mid season

Looked good prior to injury

#1 Ryder fan
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Nobody on here gives Logan Austin a look in? Not even as an emergency?
The club gave up a lot for him...

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote: Fri 27 Dec 2019 10:27am Nobody on here gives Logan Austin a look in? Not even as an emergency?
I like him, gets the ball and pretty decent user, I prefer him to Brown.

Will he be in front of Howard, Carslile & Battle for a KPD?
I doubt it if all are available.

Best chance IMO is if any of those 3 play forward or perhaps he reinvents himself as a forward?

Not many pushing for Kent either and he got a 3 year deal and was a walk up starter last season under Richo.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote: Fri 27 Dec 2019 10:27am Nobody on here gives Logan Austin a look in? Not even as an emergency?
I like him as well.

Reckon he’d be best utilised as a running tall back playmaker type that can go into the contest as needed rather than a player holding a key post.
Reckon he should be competing with Wilkie and Roberton

To the top
SS Life Member

As I mentioned on another thread, in Adelaide for a reunion in the last 10 days I caught up with some from the Wharfs domain who questioned Austin because he was rated at the venue past the Cemetery and they were disappointed to lose him

As they are with Howard particularly

The only knock on Austin as a full back was his lack of kgs on his frame

On the basis of this assessment (which was the assessment when he left Alberton) I will be interested to have another look at Austin after his year off with injury

It may be that he plays at full back with Howard used as a swing player (so Westhoff’s anointed replacement at Alberton ahead of St Kilda offering a longer term Contract and more money) even off a half back flank

So I am trying to squeeze Austin into my ultimate side perhaps by deploying Roberton’s 2 sided skills elsewhere, so off a wing pushing (ultimately) Wilkie out of the side

So:-

Battle Austin Coffield
Howard Carlisle Clark
Roberton Hannebery Hill
Billings Marshall Membrey
Gresham King Long
Ryder Steele Jones
Ross Bytel Dunstan Butler

Howard is 200cm but the wraps from the inside at Alberton are he has all the attributes to be deployed off a half back flank and used also aka Westhoff

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote: Fri 27 Dec 2019 8:15pm
Battle Austin Coffield
Howard Carlisle Clark
Roberton Hannebery Hill
Gresham King Long
Ryder Steele Jones
Think you might get exposed for height in your backline, perhaps you could squeeze Brown in there at the expense of Clark for coverage?

No room for Geary, Savage, Wilkie, Webster or Roberton in the back half?

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
To the top
SS Life Member

As prefaced, based on information from Port Adelaide officials re Howard and Austin

The wraps on Howard were enormous - including that you can play him off a half back flank despite his 200cm

The opinions on the 3 we have taken from Port Adelaide were all pleasingly positive including that Austin’s Father remains friends with one of the PA Officials so is aware of his progress post injury - the query being where Austin sits in St Kilda’s planning for 2020 (and where I have no insight at St Kilda)

And in terms of where we fit these resources into our side, well there is an option on information tendered

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Brown was actually one of our best performed players last season

Rarely beaten, if ever?

Logan is too light to be considered a kpd (btw you only need 2)

He would be barely as heavy as Gilbert or Roberton. He’s not as quick as either of them and is not a runner. Needs to add a bit of strength.
My tip, he’ll be lucky to be on the list next year after Dougs settles in

Hunter2King
Club Player

Brown, Carlisle, Logan, Howard, Marsh, Clavarino, Joyce

All vying for 2 spots.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

It's easy to predict Brown might struggle to hold down his spot this year due to his age however the opposite might happen and that's a good thing as it's generally a better outcome if a player forces his way into a side. Depending on which player or players are selected to migrate from the backline to fill the key forward spot while we wait for Roo Mk2 to announce his stardom, I'd say the backline will remain mostly unchanged in the first 6 rounds with maybe Battle or Carslile being the ones to draw the short straw to play minutes in the forward line. I think Roberton will be held back in the first month, he's got a long way to go before he convinces the medicos he can remain an AFL player. Geary and Webster will be straight back in the side and really it will be Logan and Howard who are the ones with work to do to force their way into the side.

Gershwin
Club Player

To the top wrote: Fri 27 Dec 2019 8:15pm As I mentioned on another thread, in Adelaide for a reunion in the last 10 days I caught up with some from the Wharfs domain who questioned Austin because he was rated at the venue past the Cemetery and they were disappointed to lose him

On the basis of this assessment (which was the assessment when he left Alberton) I will be interested to have another look at Austin after his year off with injury

It may be that he plays at full back with Howard used as a swing player (so Westhoff’s anointed replacement at Alberton ahead of St Kilda offering a longer term Contract and more money) even off a half back flank

So I am trying to squeeze Austin into my ultimate side perhaps by deploying Roberton’s 2 sided skills elsewhere, so off a wing pushing (ultimately) Wilkie out of the side

Battle Austin Coffield
Howard Carlisle Clark
Roberton Hannebery Hill
Gresham King Long
Ryder Steele Jones

Howard is 200cm but the wraps from the inside at Alberton are he has all the attributes to be deployed off a half back flank and used also aka Westhoff
For fun I often pit our defense against our forwards. For your side it would amount to:

Coffield picks up Gresham. I see Gresham running rings around Coffield.
Austin picks up King. Two inexperienced players with King winning on pure talent.
Battle picks up Long. Long too quick.
Howard picks up Membrey. Membrey too good.
Carlisle picks up Marshall. Marshall too good.
Clark picks up Billings. A good match-up but Billings with the edge in experience.

All in all I think your defence gets a hiding.

summertime and the living is easy ........
To the top
SS Life Member

Gresham/Clark
Long/Coffield
Billings/Battle
Membrey/Howard
King/Austin
Marshall/Carlisle

The info on Howard and Austin (and Ryder) comes from the upper echelons at Alberton where each played before transferring to St Kilda

Ryder’s service and class was acknowledged but they were disappointed to lose Austin and are particularly aggrieved to also lose Howard

So there you go

We have done well to prise each of these 3 players from Alberton

Gershwin
Club Player

To the top wrote: Sat 28 Dec 2019 3:39pm Gresham/Clark
Long/Coffield
Billings/Battle
Membrey/Howard
King/Austin
Marshall/Carlisle

The info on Howard and Austin (and Ryder) comes from the upper echelons at Alberton where each played before transferring to St Kilda

Ryder’s service and class was acknowledged but they were disappointed to lose Austin and are particularly aggrieved to also lose Howard

So there you go

Certainly not unhappy to have Austin, Howard and Ryder at St Kilda but would only have Ryder in my Round 1 team. Geary and Wilkie start in my back 6. Amazes me that people are dropping off Wilkie. 7th in our B&F and will only get better with another pre-season under his belt. One of the smartest footballers at the club - his decision making is elite.

summertime and the living is easy ........
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Wilkie is a lock

Geary is a Deadlock

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Gershwin wrote: Sat 28 Dec 2019 3:00pm
To the top wrote: Fri 27 Dec 2019 8:15pm As I mentioned on another thread, in Adelaide for a reunion in the last 10 days I caught up with some from the Wharfs domain who questioned Austin because he was rated at the venue past the Cemetery and they were disappointed to lose him

Battle Austin Coffield
Howard Carlisle Clark
Roberton Hannebery Hill
Gresham King Long
Ryder Steele Jones

For fun I often pit our defense against our forwards. For your side it would amount to:

Coffield picks up Gresham. I see Gresham running rings around Coffield.
Austin picks up King. Two inexperienced players with King winning on pure talent.
Battle picks up Long. Long too quick.
Howard picks up Membrey. Membrey too good.
Carlisle picks up Marshall. Marshall too good.
Clark picks up Billings. A good match-up but Billings with the edge in experience.

All in all I think your defence gets a hiding.
Geary on Gresham - wears him like a glove.
Clark on Billings.
Battle on Membrey - good endurance battle and better size match up.
Howard on King is a nice match up, King for athleticism and endurance.
Carslile on Marshall - Marshall too mobile and fit.
Savage or Webster on Long or Lonie.

Much more even battle I think.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote: Sat 28 Dec 2019 3:39pm Gresham/Clark
Long/Coffield
Billings/Battle
Membrey/Howard
King/Austin
Marshall/Carlisle

So there you go

I know you're excited after talking to someone at Port Adelaide but you're opinion is not fact, regardless of how many times you repeat it.

Ryder - if not finished is close to it after watching him last year.
Mistake for us if he will take valuable minutes away from Marshall on the ball and will be lucky to last the year out IMO. Did we take him to help entice Hill?

Austin - will be lucky to be on the list next year IMO.
Not strong enough for a KPB nor agile enough to replace the 3rd tallish players like Roberton, Battle, Wilkie etc.

Howard - spent the last 4 weeks in the reserves, surprising if he is rated so highly at PA.
Barely touches the ball when he plays. Good size and nice skills and youngish so lots of upside.
Very happy we secured Howard as he could be a very good player for 10 years if all goes well but he is not there yet.

Hunter2King
Club Player

Port have the gone the opposite approach to us on tall defenders. We keep recruiting them. They keep giving them away.

They have recently lost Howard, Austin (both Saints), O'Shea (Blues), Hombsch (Suns) and Trengove (Dogs).

They now rely on Clurey, Leinert (13 games) and two rookies. Risky.
Last edited by Hunter2King on Wed 01 Jan 2020 1:14pm, edited 1 time in total.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

I think Coffield will disappoint

Hopefully I’m wrong, but I’ve seen little in his attitude and footy that suggest AFL quality.

Clark will be A Grade

Hunter2King
Club Player

B.M wrote: Tue 31 Dec 2019 7:33pm I think Coffield will disappoint

Hopefully I’m wrong, but I’ve seen little in his attitude and footy that suggest AFL quality.

Clark will be A Grade

Love the Coff.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Jamie Cripps is a seagull

I50 in one of the best teams in the comp and is just OK

Biggest front runner in the AFL

He was recruited as a HB/Mid and ended up a defensive forward pocket playing 3rd fiddle to Rioli and Ryan

Averages
12.8 disposals
1.3 goals
3.9 tackles

Average numbers, If he played with us all of his career his numbers would be no better than Lonies.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

North fans are salivating at the prospect of Goldy toweling up Ryder again like last year. A chance for revenge for the Night Ryder. (except its in the afternoon..oh)

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Tue 31 Dec 2019 8:52pm Jamie Cripps is a seagull

He was recruited as a HB/Mid and ended up a defensive forward pocket playing 3rd fiddle to Rioli and Ryan

Averages
12.8 disposals
1.3 goals
3.9 tackles

Average numbers, If he played with us all of his career his numbers would be no better than Lonies.
Thanks for the Cripps update.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Hunter2King
Club Player

Averages
12.8 disposals
1.3 goals
3.9 tackles

:roll:

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Averages
12.8 disposals
1.3 goals
3.9 tackles

I'd suggest your opinion is way of the mark here B.M.
He had an average season by his standards in 2019.

I rate B&F finishes very highly as only the insiders from the club really know the roles given to each player and how they execute for the team. Stats do not necessarily tell the whole story however his stats are more than favorable when compared with other small forwards of his era.

Cripps was 4th in the B&F in a premiership year, based on that I'd suggest he's doing his role pretty well and is well regarded at his club, has also 4 top 10 B&F finishes. Cripps also rarely misses games.

Injuries and form permitting Cripps could well become a 250 game premiership player, at bare minimum he should play 200 games and be an AFL life member.

Pretty good career in my opinion and I think you severely underrate him as a player.
He is no gun but he's far better than a GOP and would be in front of the following small forwards on our list: Lonie, Long, Parker, Kent, Butler, Hind, Langlands etc.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

on the topic of locks and round 1, looking at the back, mid and forward positions up for grabs, who are the players that will be worried about their position in the team.

On paper it looks like the backline is where most of the competition will be and I think DMac will struggle to get picked this year, it's a genuine make or break season for him and the challenge is huge with all of the players seemingly ahead of him.

Thankfully the midfield for the first time in over a decade also has competition for spots and I reckon Jack Sinclair will know he won't be an automatic selection in the midfield in 2020. Possibly will be trialled as a HF player. He's a good user of the ball especially by foot so Ratt's will give him a tick in that department however his challenge will probably be in lifting his possession rate which would have to increase by at least 5 per game to get near the numbers of the midfielders that will keep him out of the middle. Not an impossible task and if he can do that then our midfield will be well on the way to competing with the top 4 midfields in the comp.

In the forward line I think Dean Kent will need to improve on his 2019 to hold a spot in 2020. I suspect we will have a ferociously quick and manic forward line in 2020 and Kent might not make that grade.