Mediocri praemio ...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Mediocri praemio ...

... that’s Latin for “Reward the mediocrity”.

Might as well have changed the club’s motto during the Cho years to this. Seriously ... Ross - the archetypal long bomb ball butcher - secures another B & F. To sit alongside Barks and Winmar as a 2 time winner.

FFS.

What a joke.

Go you red, black & white warriors
BarryGrogan
Club Player

Re: Mediocri praemio ...

It proves one thing....

Ross was doing exactly what he was being asked to do.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

It says more about the rest of the list than it does Seb.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Saintmatt wrote: Thu 12 Sep 2019 8:51am ... that’s Latin for “Reward the mediocrity”.

Might as well have changed the club’s motto during the Cho years to this. Seriously ... Ross - the archetypal long bomb ball butcher - secures another B & F. To sit alongside Barks and Winmar as a 2 time winner.

FFS.

What a joke.
Get off what a disgusting disrespectful post and thread.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

BarryGrogan wrote: Thu 12 Sep 2019 9:03am It proves one thing....

Ross was doing exactly what he was being asked to do.
Precisely.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Saintmatt wrote: Thu 12 Sep 2019 8:51am ... that’s Latin for “Reward the mediocrity”.

FFS.

What a joke.
Just who is the joke?

DJ Higgins
Club Player

I feel for Seb. He has done nothing wrong and still gets grief. He isn't a star in my eyes but he is consistent week in and week out and plays his role.
Last edited by DJ Higgins on Thu 12 Sep 2019 3:28pm, edited 1 time in total.

linmarnic
Club Player

DJ Higgins wrote: Thu 12 Sep 2019 10:07am I feel for Seb. He has done nothing wrong and still gets grief. He isn't a star in my eyes but he is onsistent week in and week out and plays his role.
Agreed but he could develop into a star yet. At the moment, due to his consistency he is a deserving winner.

Never give up
barneyboyz
Club Player

DJ Higgins wrote: Thu 12 Sep 2019 10:07am I feel for Seb. He has done nothing wrong and still gets grief. He isn't a star in my eyes but he is onsistent week in and week out and plays his role.
Absolutely right.

I have been critical of Seb Ross, however I also congratulate him now on winning his second award.

I congratulate all of those players in the top 10, they all deserve it and they all should strive to improve as Ratt's has said

Footy is very fickle, and it can only be a change in overall confidence from the group and some luck. A flag can be won by us too

I watched Brett Ratten and listened intently last night, and I reckon he might just work for us

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

saynta wrote: Thu 12 Sep 2019 9:54am

FFS.

What a joke.
Just who is the joke?
It's a complete joke that in a count so close, clearly the player on our list/in our team who makes the greatest impact on a game didn't get up. And why didn't he get up? Most likely because the erstwhile numpty in charge of Match Committee decided that Lewie was a great 1st ruck option in R1 (i.e. he played less games). You do get the irony of RoMa only getting a chance to shine because Lewie got concussed don't you?

As one posted noted - Seb was clearly doing exactly as he was instructed to do as he won a B & F off the back of it.

So - if you want to now joint the dots - my comment was directed towards the game plan, structure and team selection that provided for Seb to win another B & F.

I loved Seb's game against Hawthorn and Melbourne. The rest were his largely pedestrian self where delivery of the ball to our forwards' advantage was rarely a consideration. Just hoist it high to out numbered forwards and/or butcher the crap out of it when under no pressure. If you want to dispute that - I'd love to engage in debate with you.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

CURLY wrote: Thu 12 Sep 2019 9:42am

FFS.

What a joke.
What are you doing on here today? There's no games being played today for you to incessantly whinge about the quality of the umpiring on display.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

I am sick and tired of people which scant knowledge of football and footballers putting s*** on Seb.

The saints coaches got it right. IMHO. Seb deserves his second B & F. He is our most consistent footballer and a true chub champion.

Well done Seb. You are a credit to the St Kilda football club.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Saintmatt wrote: Thu 12 Sep 2019 12:41pm

FFS.

What a joke.
Just who is the joke?
It's a complete joke that in a count so close, clearly the player on our list/in our team who makes the greatest impact on a game didn't get up. And why didn't he get up? Most likely because the erstwhile numpty in charge of Match Committee decided that Lewie was a great 1st ruck option in R1 (i.e. he played less games). You do get the irony of RoMa only getting a chance to shine because Lewie got concussed don't you?

As one posted noted - Seb was clearly doing exactly as he was instructed to do as he won a B & F off the back of it.

So - if you want to now joint the dots - my comment was directed towards the game plan, structure and team selection that provided for Seb to win another B & F.

I loved Seb's game against Hawthorn and Melbourne. The rest were his largely pedestrian self where delivery of the ball to our forwards' advantage was rarely a consideration. Just hoist it high to out numbered forwards and/or butcher the crap out of it when under no pressure. If you want to dispute that - I'd love to engage in debate with you.
:roll: I think if you have a look at disposal efficiency stats, Seb comes out a lot better than other so called champion on ballers.

Seb won by 18 votes. Ro missing one game didn't make a scrap of difference to his second place. Seb won by the proverbial country mile.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

saynta wrote: Thu 12 Sep 2019 12:46pm
Saintmatt wrote: Thu 12 Sep 2019 12:41pm

FFS.

What a joke.
Just who is the joke?

:roll: I think if you have a look at disposal efficiency stats, Seb comes out a lot better than other so called champion on ballers.

Seb won by 18 votes. Ro missing one game didn't make a scrap of difference to his second place. Seb won by the proverbial country mile.
Marshall played 2 less than Ross. If you think Seb Ross being in our 4 best starting mids is a viable way forward then good luck to you.

As for my original post heading - do you think that Jack Newnes not polling inside the top from 20 games was also not a lagging indicator of mediocrity being rewarded? He's got another contract in front of him FFS!

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

geesus. seb won it and was a worthy winner. roma very unlucky but there you go.
was always going to be a toss up between those two with steele a fair chance. perhaps people were too blinded by admiration of roma and didn't notice ross stepped up in geary's absence and also finished the season off very strongly.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Well done Seb, good footballer who applies himself well. Showed some signs of a next level in a few games.
His cousin took a little while to hit elite level.
Last edited by fugazi on Fri 13 Sep 2019 1:28pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nee!
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Saintmatt wrote: Thu 12 Sep 2019 12:42pm

FFS.

What a joke.
What are you doing on here today? There's no games being played today for you to incessantly whinge about the quality of the umpiring on display.
Yes that's what I do but I don't take disgraceful potshots at StKilda players after a great acheivment.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

CURLY wrote: Thu 12 Sep 2019 2:21pm

FFS.

What a joke.
Yes that's what I do but I don't take disgraceful potshots at StKilda players after a great acheivment.
Are you unable to read a whole thread? My pot shot was at the distinct lack of standards and accepting/rewarding mediocrity over the past 6 years. Not 1 particular player. But suit yourself on your own narrative.

Now get back to dreaming up more umpire bashing hyperbole for R1 2020

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Saintmatt wrote: Thu 12 Sep 2019 2:33pm

FFS.

What a joke.
Are you unable to read a whole thread? My pot shot was at the distinct lack of standards and accepting/rewarding mediocrity over the past 6 years. Not 1 particular player. But suit yourself on your own narrative.

We all know what you meant with your disgraceful and ill directed post. Totally disrespectful and show's your lack of football knowledge.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

CURLY wrote: Thu 12 Sep 2019 2:43pm

FFS.

What a joke.

We all know what you meant with your disgraceful and ill directed post. Totally disrespectful and show's your lack of football knowledge.
HAHAHA! Coming from the poster who just relentlessly bags umpires all game as soon as the first bounce occurs. You have the least credibility of anyone on here re: football knowledge.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Saintmatt wrote: Thu 12 Sep 2019 3:00pm

FFS.

What a joke.

HAHAHA! Coming from the poster who just relentlessly bags umpires all game as soon as the first bounce occurs. You have the least credibility of anyone on here re: football knowledge.
Agh my ill advised friend that's where you are wrong. When I bag a dual AFL Best and Fairest winner then you can make that claim until then that title remains with you and your know nothing followers.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Saintmatt wrote: Thu 12 Sep 2019 3:00pm

FFS.

What a joke.

Unfortunately that mantel rests fairly and squarely on your shoulders.

freely
SS Hall of Fame

fugazi wrote: Thu 12 Sep 2019 1:58pm Well done Sen, good footballer who applies himself well. Showed some signs of a next level in a few games.
His cousin took a little while to hit elite level.
had the same thought myself fugazi

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

I think the frustration for a number of supporters is that in 2019 Seb Ross was not elite, nor did he even produce a season near his very best, whereas the seven players who finished directly below him arguably produced career best seasons.

The reality is, their best still wasn't enough to surpass Seb at 75-80% of his best. We all hope that all seven below him continue to improve to the point where Seb needs to produce a career best season in 2020 to win a third B&F.

This is nothing new at St Kilda, since 2015 Seb & Jack Steven have shared all five Trevor Barker Awards without getting a single All Australian nod. And that's where we're at. Both Seb and Jack are fine servants of the club and their achievements deserve high praise, but the quality of competition is reflective of where St Kilda is at the moment. Just like the fact Nick Dal Santo or Leigh Montagna never won a B&F reflected how well we were going a decade ago.

Well done Seb, any B&F is hard to win, but the bar must be raised in 2020 if we're on the right track.

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

If we traded Seb would we get a first or second round draft pick?