TASMANIAN SAINTS?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Re: TASMANIAN SAINTS?

skeptic wrote: Sat 31 Aug 2019 11:33am
CQ SAINT wrote: Sat 31 Aug 2019 10:45am
skeptic wrote: Sat 31 Aug 2019 9:52am
Waltzing St Kilda wrote: Fri 30 Aug 2019 6:05pm Don't like it but you'd swear some in our admin were hellbent on making it happen.
This point has been somewhat glossed over in this thread but to be honest, a similar line of thinking has crossed my mind as of late... not so much about Tassie but getting Hanners on a long expensive contract, bigger contract extensions to Joyce and McKenzie whilst talking about moving Bruce and Carlisle on.
Lethelen overruling the recruiting scout, a premature extension of Richo’s contract, talk of Brad Scott getting the coaching gig

Obviously not all of that’s confirmed but you’d almost swear that that can’t just be incompetence
It is far too early to make a call on Hannerberry. He finished pretty well and in terms of 2020 I'm really glad we have him. What was the alternative. Did Leathlean extend Richo? Or did he drive the need to get rid of him. Not sure how these 2 question relate in isolation.

Mackenzie and Joyce are cheap fringe players. Every club has them. This is not fantasy footy, you can't just keep rolling them over and expect change. How about recruiting rejects like Marshall, Wilkie, Hind and Parker. Couldn't that have gone really wrong. I doubt that Lethlean or the recruiting scout have final say and the argument belongs in a thread like this.

At least our, likely to be successful, women's team will have Moorabbin to play at.
The reference to Lethlean was merely that he overruled to get King ahead of Roz... wasn’t meaning to implicate him specifically but the post was ill worded and unintentionally implied that so I yield on that point... and yes Wilkie, Hind and Parker were good recruits.

Not sure who extended Richo but it was a bad decision... many didn’t like it at the time but surprisingly it didn’t bother me much... who could have anticipated we dived like we did.

Hannebery isn’t a bad recruit but $800k over 5 years is a bad risk to take. It’s a failure in year one with the upside being at least he’s ready to go fro year two... no excuses.
That pay cheque may end up costing us something.

On McKenzie on Joyce... don’t mind them but 3 and 2 years respectively is too long for layers not established as top 22.

The point of all of this is that we seem to be making some bad decision at the moment or over the last few years and it’s bothering me. That’s all. The conspiracy nut in me sometimes thinks how can you get it so consistently wrong... this off-season will say a lot about what we’re doing as a club so we’ll wait and see
Understood. I have an uneasy feeling for our future myself but a move to Tasmania for me holds more hope than dread. No success and no move smacks a bit harder when compiled with debt we may never recover from. I didn't want to go to Waverley or Etihad but that disapointment dissolved over the years that followed. The connection to St.Kilda ended in my Dads generation who was born in Myrtleford on a tobacco farm and I was raised in Hampton. I will follow the Saints as long as they are the Saints.

Rozee would have been a beauty and King has not been so rosey (see what I did there 😎) but on a chance of a 2 Kings for one deal with Paddy, Bruce and Carlisle looking doubtful with injuries, I'll back Leathlean's preference and I'm sure others in the hotseats did too.

Would it help if I told you that Hannerbery stood to earn 1.2 mill this year if he played 18 or more games but will actually walk away with only 600k and can potentially earn 800k for the next 3 years under the same trigger. It's by no means confirmed but I have been told that by someone I trust.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Why not relocate to Bali. It's warmer there and satisifes our goal of taking the game to an international audience.

FFS - you wouldn't hear anyone at a proper club promoting these rabble ideas.

Mods, should lock the thread.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote: Sat 31 Aug 2019 2:59pm Why not relocate to Bali. It's warmer there and satisifes our goal of taking the game to an international audience.

FFS - you wouldn't hear anyone at a proper club promoting these rabble ideas.

Mods, should lock the thread.
So you are not serious about Bali then. Shame. Cheap beers.

older saint
SS Life Member

The biggest issue we have is too many at Senior positions who are more interested in pushing their own agendas. egos etc than what is truely in the best interest of the club.

Take Lethlean for example. Shamed out of the AFL, his mate Gil has us take him on (as to the AFL Stkilda are the club who can be lent on because they control our purse strings) and is trying to hit the home run in regard to recruitment so it can be a stepping stone to where ever he wants to go next. Doesn't mater to him if he strikes out as will just move to the next position and say , head of football ( or whatever his title is ) isn't for me.

One reason Hawthorn has been so successful is leadership and everyone buying in on whats good for the club . You can see on every decision they make the question of does this make us better - short and long term, seems to have been asked. Sure they don't get them all correct.
StKilda seems to have years now of will i get this right and is this good for me. Right back from Seaford , to Richo selections this season self preservation.

I would hate to see us relocate to Tasmania however remove the emotion 1 premiership in 150 + years , something has to change.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote: Sat 31 Aug 2019 5:16pm The biggest issue we have is too many at Senior positions who are more interested in pushing their own agendas. egos etc than what is truely in the best interest of
Often so. Even when officials are not being corrupted or bought off, administrators wil ‘sell the farm’ to tidy the books. Cities officials do it to their own cities, ripping heart out of their city centers for freeway projects, or tearing down shopping districts that have taken generations to evolve, just so they can box it all the not a mall with chain stores that promises to pay the bills. Amer Ivan cities are a sad tale of this. See Sydney selling out their tram networks in the fifties too.

Fitzroy is a joke. Their is no Fitzroy spirit in Brisbane whatsoever, but the colors ar nice, I have to admit.

St Kilda absolutely must stay geographically connected to a heartland, even if the fans are now dispersed. I’m in Japan and even I need St kilda to be connected to our lands. Living in the Far East I can say I’d hav no interest if we relocated to Tasmania. I will sell my St Kilda toothbrush set.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
B.M
Saintsational Legend

What’s our heartland?

Junction in StK, Moorabbin, Waverley, Marvel??

Some could say Tassie is a heartland

Considering Doc, Stewart, Howell, Lawrence, Bonney, even Reiwoldt we’re from Tassie.
And Barry Brooks

asiu
Saintsational Legend

i’ll follow them if they move

i’ve already experienced my local side
(the seagulls) copping it in the jacksie

... and ya can’t jag another flag when you don’t exist

we have an old roy boy ‘n his missus staying at mums
at the moment
... played with em after the war

i’ll ask him what he reckons about the
fitzroy / brisbane thingy

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sat 31 Aug 2019 6:47pm What’s our heartland?

Junction in StK, Moorabbin, Waverley, Marvel??

Some could say Tassie is a heartland

Considering Doc, Stewart, Howell, Lawrence, Bonney, even Reiwoldt we’re from Tassie.
And Barry Brooks
St Kilda, southeast down the bay, down through Cheltenham, and we have as much history in Ballarat due to our old zone, as we did in Tassie. The point I was making is that it is too easy for one admin, at one point in time, to simply up and sell everything under the guise that they are doing the responsible thing at that time. We have seen it before. Anyway, won't happen, so but if a storm in a tea cup.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Isn’t it Funny how Hawthorn embraced Tassie, and it worked... they embrace leaving Glenferrie for training for Waverley, and it worked. They will embrace a move to Dingly, and that will work.

We on the other hand look for excuses... and always have knee jerk responses.

Our short sightedness is why we are unsuccessful

In 2006-2010 in the middle of a successful era (for us) we made some of the dumbest decisions you could imagine.

BarryGrogan
Club Player

B.M wrote: Sat 31 Aug 2019 9:10pm Isn’t it Funny how Hawthorn embraced Tassie, and it worked... they embrace leaving Glenferrie for training for Waverley, and it worked. They will embrace a move to Dingly, and that will work.

In 2006-2010 in the middle of a successful era (for us) we made some of the dumbest decisions you could imagine.
Aren't perceptions funny.

Hawthorn are not Hawthorn anymore. As you say - left Glenferrie, went to Princes Park, Waverley, now Dingley. Play in East Melbourne.

None of their coaches or admin are 'Hawthorn people' and have all come from other clubs.

I remember watching them sing the song after a win once during their premiership era and laughing to myself that about 16 guys in the circle had come from other clubs.

Hawthorn's soul died 20 years ago. There is nothing Hawthorn about Hawthorn.

But some see the above as 'working' whereas others see it as the death of a club, and the birth of a pokie corporation.

In my opinion, some people have such low self-esteem that the club they barrack for winning flags gives them a sense of worth. No matter what it takes.

Would a Saints flag if we were the Gold Coast Saints mean as much as 1966 one? Would it mean as much if we were based in Auckland? Or Shanghai? Or Tassie?

To most, the answer would be 'No!'. To others, where their team winning is their only way of generating some 'meaningfulness' in their life - then yes. It's probably the same.

So it depends on what fans want. Do you barrack for the St Kilda Football Club? Or do you barrack for AFL licensed team that currently delivers their product under the branding of the 'St Kilda Saints' with the packaging of red, white and black?

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

BarryGrogan wrote: Sun 01 Sep 2019 9:03am
B.M wrote: Sat 31 Aug 2019 9:10pm Isn’t it Funny how Hawthorn embraced Tassie, and it worked... they embrace leaving Glenferrie for training for Waverley, and it worked. They will embrace a move to Dingly, and that will work.

Aren't perceptions funny.

Hawthorn are not Hawthorn anymore. As you say - left Glenferrie, went to Princes Park, Waverley, now Dingley. Play in East Melbourne.

None of their coaches or admin are 'Hawthorn people' and have all come from other clubs.

I remember watching them sing the song after a win once during their premiership era and laughing to myself that about 16 guys in the circle had come from other clubs.

Hawthorn's soul died 20 years ago. There is nothing Hawthorn about Hawthorn.

But some see the above as 'working' whereas others see it as the death of a club, and the birth of a pokie corporation.

In my opinion, some people have such low self-esteem that the club they barrack for winning flags gives them a sense of worth. No matter what it takes.

Would a Saints flag if we were the Gold Coast Saints mean as much as 1966 one? Would it mean as much if we were based in Auckland? Or Shanghai? Or Tassie?

Do you mean the 1966 Moorabbin Saints one?

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

I vehemently disagree with this stuff about Hawthorn being chilled and accepting change. They went through tumultuous times in the early 90s. They were in the razors edge,and they survived under protest. They are well funded and oiled with politics and pokies. They almost became Melbourne. We are weaker and more vulnerable and we should complain. We didn't complain enough about Etihad at the beginning in my opinion. Collingwood regularly cook up a sh@@t stink too, as do the other clubs. We should push back and we have been too vanilla. Now, I'm not saying we should March in the streets and carry on, but a few well aimed and we'll times missiles wouldn't hurt.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

long way to travel
to watch your team play

better than being extinct

... so says the old fella.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

...but a few well aimed and we'll times missiles wouldn't hurt.
yea

but then the pencil pushers
start whinging like rabid bilbies
about the blow back

then

the chicken hearted ‘n political white anters
go to work

can’t have a revolution
until the punters have an evolution

crossing from one ocean to another
means copping the chop
where they meet

thus
we stay pathetic

go us
ay

Furphy
Club Player

I can’t get my head around the fact the AFL where happy to set up the ‘Gold Coast Suns’ who are an embarrassment to professional sport, but still don’t have a team in Tassie

older saint
SS Life Member

shanegrambeau wrote: Sun 01 Sep 2019 10:27am I vehemently disagree with this stuff about Hawthorn being chilled and accepting change. They went through tumultuous times in the early 90s. They were in the razors edge,and they survived under protest. They are well funded and oiled with politics and pokies. They almost became Melbourne. We are weaker and more vulnerable and we should complain. We didn't complain enough about Etihad at the beginning in my opinion. Collingwood regularly cook up a sh@@t stink too, as do the other clubs. We should push back and we have been too vanilla. Now, I'm not saying we should March in the streets and carry on, but a few well aimed and we'll times missiles wouldn't hurt.
Don't necessarily disagree however:
We rely on the AFL sooooo much for financial handouts that we cant bite the hand that feeds us. Anyone really think we wanted to sell a home game to Port and go play in China? Commercial opportunity BS , more likely you will make $300-$500 K off this which means that is money the AFL wont have to cough up so your going.
Really believe they wanted to review everyone but the head coach last year. AFL - you signed him you're stuck with him as we aren't funding the payout.
We are the AFL's bitch and until we are financially viable theres nothing we can do about it.,
Also GT tried that with Kim Jong Demetriou and look where that got us.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

None of those Hawthorn changes outlined happened in the 90s

They happened this century

Accept it or not

They did some things we should have done

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Let's face it we are the hiker that always needs rescuing. We are not the hiker smart enough to prepare and map out a hike OR the hiker strong enough to push through without requesting assistance.

barneyboyz
Club Player

Although I have some simpathy for a Saints side in Tasmania, I do also believe that player retention would be a massive issue, unless over time it became a majority of local players. Clearly this could happen, but then would enough of those players be the better ones?

To me, this would need to be judged after 50+ years, which should be the same for GC and GWS, but not sure we could survive any short term lack of success

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

saints to Tasmania = death