Jake Carlisle....good player...but...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Re: Jake Carlisle....good player...but...

Seens more intent on being a larrikin and having a laugh with his opponent. Not interested in going hard.

Nee!
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

It's easy money for him. Just turn up, don't worry if your opponent gets off the chain, you will be paid anyway. Every time he goes forward he never touches the ball.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Because when he goes forward he has a defender... which he does not like.

His ideal scenario is loose man in defence

Which with 6-6-6 he cannot do

His agility is horrendous atm

Moods
Saintsational Legend

How many times did he take short steps to avoid body contact?? The guy is devoid of confidence at the moment. Having said that I'm not a fan as I've stated before, but tonight was something else. Just infuriated me even more that he was seen in the background when we were losing smiling and talking with his opponent (as someone else pointed out)
Does he even care?

Looks horribly immobile. The move up fwd was a disaster and I'm pretty sure he didn't touch it when moved there. Was smashed in defence. I'll be kind and say we rushed him back from his back injury and he needs to be put in cotton wool for the year and put in a huge pre-season

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

He appears not to like being asked to play forward or anywhere other than his cosy loose-man-in-defence spot. Comes across as petulant, but admittedly, that might just be my perception.

Anyway, I’m glad that Ratts is giving him some direction on where and how to play. You can’t have the tail wagging the dog.

loris
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: Sun 04 Aug 2019 2:05am He appears not to like being asked to play forward or anywhere other than his cosy loose-man-in-defence spot. Comes across as petulant, but admittedly, that might just be my perception.

Anyway, I’m glad that Ratts is giving him some direction on where and how to play. You can’t have the tail wagging the dog.
Maybe he just might not want to remain at Saints now that AR is gone?

Remember, the Saints was his desired club to come to when he wanted out from Essendon. He said how AR had the most influence on him when he started out with Essendon. Was all full of praise for Richo and he was a major reason he made the choice of the Saints

Also doesn’t he have to play a certain amount of games this season for the final year of his contract to be activated? I think I read something about it in the press a few months ago whilst he was still out injured, if he didn’t get back into the side to play X amount of games the final year of his contract was negotiable.

I just hope IF Carlilse remains at the Saints, whoever is our coach, forces him play with more passion for the team and cover for teammates, when required. Most of our backline, have over the years, put their bodies on the line covering his opponent when he is caught out of position. Carlilse rarely reciprocates.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Seen it before from him - a lazy selfish game where he looks like he doesn't want to put in. Very frustrating as he should be leading by example. Really think he needs to be made an example of after that game and have a spell at Sandy. Might wake him up.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
axcellence
Club Player

Don’t give him another contract. Has been a waste.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote: Sun 04 Aug 2019 3:50am Seen it before from him - a lazy selfish game where he looks like he doesn't want to put in. Very frustrating as he should be leading by example. Really think he needs to be made an example of after that game and have a spell at Sandy. Might wake him up.
I think that's about spot on, we can't have senior players playing like that with no repercussions. Bring in the Clav, you know it's time!

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Still getting over his back operation.
Probably shouldn't be playing, but as Austin, Webster, Roberton and Geary are all out we have no choice but to play him.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Having thought about it over night I think he needs a full pre season before we make any permanent decisions re Jake. Due to his back he hasnt been able to train fully for sometime and is suffering now after starting late in the season.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

samuraisaint wrote: Sun 04 Aug 2019 10:59am Still getting over his back operation.
Probably shouldn't be playing, but as Austin, Webster, Roberton and Geary are all out we have no choice but to play him.
I hope you’re right.

Carlisle was looking pretty disinterested last season.

Bad management is bad management
freely
SS Hall of Fame

samuraisaint wrote: Sun 04 Aug 2019 10:59am Still getting over his back operation.
Well that's not quite true. We played Battle in his position most of the season, and he was turning into a beauty - we played Battle out of position last night and didn't know what to do with him.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

freely wrote: Sun 04 Aug 2019 4:11pm
Well that's not quite true. We played Battle in his position most of the season, and he was turning into a beauty - we played Battle out of position last night and didn't know what to do with him.
But we lost Battle too when he was injured against North and couldn't play, so we really didn't have any choice but to rush him back. I am on record as saying that he shouldn't have come back this season, so in a way I am agreeing with you.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 04 Aug 2019 12:20am Because when he goes forward he has a defender... which he does not like.

Yeah it’s like he has had some sort of major back issue, maybe even surgery recently and is still getting his fitness back for the highest level...

Bloke could hardly walk at the start of the year.

:roll:

Ajantis
Club Player

To me it looks like carlisle is only wanting to intercept marks, doenst care about 2nd efforts or anything else.
If he back is an issue then he should not be playing.
He frustrates me so much, when he is 1-2 meters from the ball and decides to run back.
Doesnt tackle hard doesnt run hard and very lazy kicking. Doesnt talk alot to other players and seems like he is an outside person, as his communcation with other players is minimal.

freely
SS Hall of Fame

samuraisaint wrote: Sun 04 Aug 2019 11:58pm
freely wrote: Sun 04 Aug 2019 4:11pm
But we lost Battle too when he was injured against North and couldn't play, so we really didn't have any choice but to rush him back. I am on record as saying that he shouldn't have come back this season, so in a way I am agreeing with you.
Even with the qualification, that's a new experience for me! ;)

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote: Mon 05 Aug 2019 5:07am
B.M wrote: Sun 04 Aug 2019 12:20am Because when he goes forward he has a defender... which he does not like.

Yeah it’s like he has had some sort of major back issue, maybe even surgery recently and is still getting his fitness back for the highest level...

Anymore excuses you can come up with for him?? The bloke has declared himself available, therefore he's fit to go like everyone else. If he's not right don't play. I say that to my kids all the time - no one's interested in excuses, once you're on the field/court/pitch, just play or get off.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Sun 04 Aug 2019 12:34am How many times did he take short steps to avoid body contact?? The guy is devoid of confidence at the moment. Having said that I'm not a fan as I've stated before, but tonight was something else. Just infuriated me even more that he was seen in the background when we were losing smiling and talking with his opponent (as someone else pointed out)
Does he even care?

Looks horribly immobile. The move up fwd was a disaster and I'm pretty sure he didn't touch it when moved there. Was smashed in defence. I'll be kind and say we rushed him back from his back injury and he needs to be put in cotton wool for the year and put in a huge pre-season
+1 on all the points you raise and I've never been a huge fan either

Would be Carlisle's last chance next week to show something or I reckon give Darragh an opportunity in the last 2 games.

If he is honest with himself and he has doubts about his fitness, then he should sit out next week. I'm sure White or Joyce would love to take his place and play loose man in defense.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Carlisle needs a massive pre-season, to get super fit and enhance his agility. Not having any pre-season makes it hard for any AFL player to have a good year. That is a reason he has looked ordinary at times since coming back.

Carlisle also needs a bit of an attitude readjustment. Hopefully Ratta can help fix that for 2020. He is still worth persisting with. 2020 will say a lot about him.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

A bit of brinkmanship required. Play him at Sandy this week. If he has any pride and really wants to stay at the club, he'll respond. If he waves the white flag we will see where his mind & heart is. I want to see him respond, I want him to feel that kick in the ar$e. He's too good to be playing as he is right now.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Mon 05 Aug 2019 2:13pm
Spinner wrote: Mon 05 Aug 2019 5:07am

Anymore excuses you can come up with for him?? The bloke has declared himself available, therefore he's fit to go like everyone else. If he's not right don't play. I say that to my kids all the time - no one's interested in excuses, once you're on the field/court/pitch, just play or get off.

There’s just one there (learn to count), and it’s a reason, not an excuse.

Last time I looked he is just playing. Jake didn’t pop on here and start this thread.

Regardless you must be a treat with your kids. Must be great having such a self proclaimed hard arse.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Languid persona not disinterested. Great judge of an intercept and good mark. Generally makes good decisions and appears never to panic. Large person and not to be messed with. Not a bad return from serious surgery. He's ok until another Maxy H comes along.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Wed 07 Aug 2019 7:18am Languid persona not disinterested. Great judge of an intercept and good mark. Generally makes good decisions and appears never to panic. Large person and not to be messed with. Not a bad return from serious surgery. He's ok until another Maxy H comes along.
Tend to agree

He’s also a step forward of the ‘just has potential’ line so I’m struggling to see the reason you’d realistically want to move him.

If we can’t make a player out of Jake then it’s time to shut up shop.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Not to be messed with?

I reckon he’s a bit soft

Being big and having stickers doesn’t make you tough

Sean Dempster was tough
Steve Baker, Max Hudghton, Jason Blake were tough

He aint