Battle - Carlisle conundrum?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

older saint
SS Life Member

Re: Battle - Carlisle conundrum?

Why couldn't battle turn into a McGovern type role?

Good problem to have a think, especially longer term as Brown in 30's ( although playing well)

bigguy

Brown is a great lock down defender on the opposition's biggest bull. But he'll be 31 at the end of this year. So he might only have a season or 2 left...so Battle is the future. While Brown is performing well I'd use Battle as a swingman for the rest of 2019...depending on the week-to-week opposition and our needs, like if we need a 3rd tall defender or when we want to exploit a short oppostion defence. And it will give Battle more experience/learning, plus flexibility for the future. Carlisle is happier at half-back where he can also drop off to intercept and also run forward to create.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

At the moment Acres is playing as a HHF pushing into the midfield. Is more agile and creative than Battle, and he rotated through the centre with Sincs and played a bit on the wing. We like to only use Bruce and Membrey as marking targets, the rest are mobile forwards.

As for third tall defender, I think Wilkie has a mortgage on that spot, only bloke who could steal that from home would be a fit Roberton

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Tue 23 Jul 2019 2:07pm No Ross? You must be f****** kidding.
That was a mistake on my part. With that said, I have been very disappointed with Seb's season. He's still best 22, but he hasn't been playing anywhere near his potential lately. Ross comes in for Paton, Langlands or White from the team I posted, depending on form.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote: Thu 25 Jul 2019 12:30pm
saynta wrote: Tue 23 Jul 2019 2:07pm No Ross? You must be f****** kidding.
That was a mistake on my part. With that said, I have been very disappointed with Seb's season. He's still best 22, but he hasn't been playing anywhere near his potential lately. Ross comes in for Paton, Langlands or White from the team I posted, depending on form.
:D :wink:

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Disappointing season

Will still finish top 5 in the b&f which means 42 players have performed worse

Amazing standards we set on players effect how we think they are travelling

He’s already won a b&f which indicates he can play a bit

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Thu 25 Jul 2019 2:33pm Disappointing season

The last game is the standard I expect from Seb. His ball use going inside 50 was fantastic. He actually put it into space in front of forwards with clever, low kicks rather than bombing it blindly deep inside 50. Maybe this was due to the game plan, or maybe his head wasn't quite in it because he was being instructed to execute these blind bombs when he thought he should be hitting up leading targets.

Seb has looked fairly laconic and lacked intensity this season, which I don't think is his usual character. He should be a high production, damaging inside/outside mid. This season he has been floating outside of packs and then wasting disposals. Here's hoping he keeps up his form from the Demons game.

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

I think Jake the Snake will always be the big guy behind the ball, he’s just so damn good at it.

Battle... wow... what a luxury it is trying to work out where he could play. He could potentially get off the leash every week.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

All relative I suppose.

Second most disposals after Billings. most kicks, third most handballs after Billings and Steele. 2nd most uncontested possessions again after Billings . 3rd most score involvements after Membrey and Gresham and 4th in clearances and tackles.

All in all not too bad a year. BM.

And some posters still want him dropped.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Wed 31 Jul 2019 12:07pm

All relative I suppose.

Second most disposals after Billings. most kicks, third most handballs after Billings and Steele. 2nd most uncontested possessions again after Billings . 3rd most score involvements after Membrey and Gresham and 4th in clearances and tackles.

For whatever reason Ross apart from The Hawks game, and his two most recent games, lost his way this season with his ball use. This is what was really letting down his game, and his team.

Now he was no lone ranger in such poor use this season, and it seems to me that Ratts has been hot on this with the players since taking over.

Ross when he plays like he did this week is a valuable player. Seb "The Bomb" Ross is not as turnovers kill teams now.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saynta
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Wed 31 Jul 2019 1:10pm
saynta wrote: Wed 31 Jul 2019 12:07pm

All relative I suppose.

For whatever reason Ross apart from The Hawks game, and his two most recent games, lost his way this season with his ball use. This is what was really letting down his game, and his team.

Now he was no lone ranger in such poor use this season, and it seems to me that Ratts has been hot on this with the players since taking over.

Ross when he plays like he did this week is a valuable player. Seb "The Bomb" Ross is not as turnovers kill teams now.
Totally disagree with your post.

Posters on here were highly critical of his ball use when it was up with the top midfilelders in the league and in the mid 70% range.

Case of giving a dog a bad name imho. but hey we are all entitled to our opinions aren't we? :D

He did have a couple of average games though, but only a couple.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Wed 31 Jul 2019 1:21pm

Posters on here were highly critical of his ball use when it was up with the top midfielders in the league and in the mid 70% range.

Case of giving a dog a bad name imho. but hey we are all entitled to our opinions aren't we? :D

We are. But it is a bit unfair to reply to me on what "posters" have said rather than what I have said.

Ross this season was very guilty of the long bomb forward often more to the advantage of an opposition player than a team mate.

We are not talking "chaos balls" here we are just talking of ill directed roosts. He has rectified that these last two games. Apart from his kicking Ross IMO was also running better. I have a feeling that Ross was struggling under Richo.

Dunstan has turned the corner since he was dropped. Ross seems to have turned his corner since Richo left.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Our forward line, imo would function better with 3 talls and three smalls. Play Battle as a big forward, its a no brainer.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Wed 31 Jul 2019 1:41pm
saynta wrote: Wed 31 Jul 2019 1:21pm

Posters on here were highly critical of his ball use when it was up with the top midfielders in the league and in the mid 70% range.

We are. But it is a bit unfair to reply to me on what "posters" have said rather than what I have said.

Ross this season was very guilty of the long bomb forward often more to the advantage of an opposition player than a team mate.

We are not talking "chaos balls" here we are just talking of ill directed roosts. He has rectified that these last two games. Apart from his kicking Ross IMO was also running better. I have a feeling that Ross was struggling under Richo.

Dunstan has turned the corner since he was dropped. Ross seems to have turned his corner since Richo left.
:D :wink: You are certainly correct about Dunstan.

Richo may have wanted Seb to play a different role to the one he is now playing.

Saint_Singapore
Club Player

Josh Battle = Adam Hunter