AFL Coaching Merry-go-round 2019

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sanctorum
Club Player

AFL Coaching Merry-go-round 2019

There could well be some pressure building on the St Kilda panel selecting the new coach for 2020 and beyond.

Currently there are 3 clubs seeking to appoint a new coach, but with both Adelaide clubs looking shaky to make the finals that list could easily grow to 5 - factor in Fremantle where the supporters are gunning for Ross Lyon's head (today's thrashing by the Dogs will give that greater intensity) and that could make 6.

Currently the media have Rhyce Shaw coaching North Melbourne, with St Kilda looking at Brad Scott and Brett Ratten and Carlton said to be committed to appointing an experienced senior coach - I always believed that Brad Scott had been negotiating secretly with Carlton and that this led to North terminating his contract, which would explain why Chris Judd came out with the "training wheels" comment about unproven assistants.

If the Saints are giving serious consideration to Brett Ratten then they should sign him up without delay, and although I am convinced that Brad Scott will be very successful in his 2nd gig with another team, I certainly have no problem with Ratten getting the job with our beloved Saints - the way he dealt with Jake Carlisle at 3/4 time after the latter's indiscretion left no one in doubt that he is going to be a very hard and demanding coach....and it is also obvious that the players both admire and respect him.

As for Carlton, I would put a couple of dollars on Ken Hinkley going there in 2020 - now in his 7th year at Port, he is down to 44.4% win loss this year, which David koch and his board will not tolerate - so Brett Ratten may well be on their radar!

Interesting times....

"To do good is noble. To tell others to do good is even nobler and much less trouble.."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Saint 58
Club Player

Re: AFL Coaching Merry-go-round 2019

I missed Ratten’s reaction to Carlisle at 3/4 time.
What happened ?

What you do for others will define your life.
[Football isn't everything ... it's the ONLY thing]
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Saint 58 wrote: Sun 28 Jul 2019 10:03pm I missed Ratten’s reaction to Carlisle at 3/4 time.
What happened ?
Ratts said he took him off the ground to have a chat and tell him he's better than that, don't get sucked in and just focus on the things that he can control and do his job for the team and Rats said he responded really well. Ratts told him he cost us a goal and that Carlisle needed to get back into the game and do what he does best. Ratts thought he played pretty well.

3 minute mark on this is about Carlisle:

[media]https://www.saints.com.au/video/2019-07 ... ews-demons[/media]

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Jacks Back wrote: Sun 28 Jul 2019 11:54pm
Saint 58 wrote: Sun 28 Jul 2019 10:03pm I missed Ratten’s reaction to Carlisle at 3/4 time.
What happened ?
Ratts said he took him off the ground to have a chat and tell him he's better than that, don't get sucked in and just focus on the things that he can control and do his job for the team and Rats said he responded really well. Ratts told him he cost us a goal and that Carlisle needed to get back into the game and do what he does best. Ratts thought he played pretty well.

3 minute mark on this is about Carlisle:

[media]https://www.saints.com.au/video/2019-07 ... ews-demons[/media]
Compare that to our club's ridiculous reaction to 'Murphygate' which reportedly had a negative impact on our playing group.
We should NEVER have apologised to the Bluescum.
I think Jake responded admirably and in a mature fashion.
Ratten is a huge upgrade on Richo; Ratts is human and flesh and blood, Richo was an android like Data from Star Trek, devoid of any humanity.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
SuperDuper
Club Player

surely Goodwin has to go too. Worst coaching performance of the year id say

Saint 58
Club Player

I think Pyke is next, especially if we beat them on Saturday night !
But with only 3 rounds to go, they would probably wait until after their last game.

What you do for others will define your life.
[Football isn't everything ... it's the ONLY thing]
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Sanctorum wrote: Sun 28 Jul 2019 7:35pm There could well be some pressure building on the St Kilda panel selecting the new coach for 2020 and beyond.

Currently there are 3 clubs seeking to appoint a new coach, but with both Adelaide clubs looking shaky to make the finals that list could easily grow to 5 - factor in Fremantle where the supporters are gunning for Ross Lyon's head (today's thrashing by the Dogs will give that greater intensity) and that could make 6.

Currently the media have Rhyce Shaw coaching North Melbourne, with St Kilda looking at Brad Scott and Brett Ratten and Carlton said to be committed to appointing an experienced senior coach - I always believed that Brad Scott had been negotiating secretly with Carlton and that this led to North terminating his contract, which would explain why Chris Judd came out with the "training wheels" comment about unproven assistants.

If the Saints are giving serious consideration to Brett Ratten then they should sign him up without delay, and although I am convinced that Brad Scott will be very successful in his 2nd gig with another team, I certainly have no problem with Ratten getting the job with our beloved Saints - the way he dealt with Jake Carlisle at 3/4 time after the latter's indiscretion left no one in doubt that he is going to be a very hard and demanding coach....and it is also obvious that the players both admire and respect him.

As for Carlton, I would put a couple of dollars on Ken Hinkley going there in 2020 - now in his 7th year at Port, he is down to 44.4% win loss this year, which David koch and his board will not tolerate - so Brett Ratten may well be on their radar!

Interesting times....
And there we have it. Someone else now clearly knows. Hinkley is absolutely the Carlton board's 1st choice candidate for the head coaching role.

Go you red, black & white warriors
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

SuperDuper wrote: Mon 29 Jul 2019 2:19am surely Goodwin has to go too. Worst coaching performance of the year id say
Based on this year - absolutely. But fat chance of that happening. Melbourne's CEO/Board is clearly even more hair-brained than ours giving him a 3 year extension prior to the start of this season. He's their coach for another 3 seasons after this sh*tshow ends!

They'd have to pay a massive amount of tax in their soft-cap if they were to punt him anytime in the next 18 months

Go you red, black & white warriors
freely
SS Hall of Fame

WellardSaint wrote: Mon 29 Jul 2019 12:15am Ratts is human and flesh and blood, Richo was an android like Data from Star Trek, devoid of any humanity.
Nicely balanced assessment for our five-year-old readers! ;)