Ratten on caretaker role

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: Ratten on caretaker role

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Thu 18 Jul 2019 9:19pm
saintsRrising wrote: Thu 18 Jul 2019 4:50pm
tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Thu 18 Jul 2019 12:46pm Wants the full time gig apparently.
Wow Scoop strikes again.

Who would have thought eh...
Nice baiting attempt. You conveniently left out my second sentence which was:
"Being reported today."

I am basically acknowledging the media is reporting this fact.
Very bad baiting attempt. Give it a rest next time. Who is the idiot now?
Lol. Too easy.
Well actually the media was reporting that he did (rather than only apparently) want a the position of being head coach.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

And?
What is the point of your baiting?

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

For what it's worth, I would LOVE Brett to get the gig. In my humble opinion, the bloke has the same levels of integrity and straight-talking as Richo..... BUT also has valuable coaching smarts honed over the time as senior coach at Carlturd and as an assistant with Hawthorn. Is it pure coincidence that the last THREE premiership coaches have "graduated" from the ranks of Hawthorn assistant coaches?? (and we all know WHO won the THREE prior to that!! :lol: :lol: )
SO! I believe its a no-brainer to appoint Ratts to the role of Senior Coach. ........... there again, this IS St. Kilda Footy Club after all!!!!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
B.M
Saintsational Legend

I believe he is in the box seat. But don’t expect to win too many of the last six, and don’t judge Brett on those 6 games either.

He will be a far better head coach, than forwards coach, having had experience, both at Carlton, and learning from his time at Melbourne as an Assistant to Neale and at Hawthorn under Clarko.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

As far as I am concerned our next coach needs to win us a premiership by 2025.

Goals huh.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

SaintPav wrote: Thu 18 Jul 2019 6:10pm
Beno88 wrote: Thu 18 Jul 2019 4:01pm Some interesting parallels with our coaching change this weekend...

The last time St Kilda had a caretaker coach (Grant Thomas), his first game was against the Bulldogs at Docklands (R16 2001).

The last match Brett Ratten coached resulted in a St Kilda win (R23 2013).

The first match Ratten coached as a caretaker resulted in a St Kilda win (R17 2007)

Brett Ratten's final game as Carlton coach was also Scott Watters final game as St Kilda coach.
I thought Watters last game for us was against Freo?
It was. I went a year too soon. :oops:

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote: Fri 19 Jul 2019 10:16am
SaintPav wrote: Thu 18 Jul 2019 6:10pm
Beno88 wrote: Thu 18 Jul 2019 4:01pm Some interesting parallels with our coaching change this weekend...

The last time St Kilda had a caretaker coach (Grant Thomas), his first game was against the Bulldogs at Docklands (R16 2001).

The last match Brett Ratten coached resulted in a St Kilda win (R23 2013).

The first match Ratten coached as a caretaker resulted in a St Kilda win (R17 2007)

Brett Ratten's final game as Carlton coach was also Scott Watters final game as St Kilda coach.
I thought Watters last game for us was against Freo?
It was. I went a year too soon. :oops:
I remember that game. It was particularly vicious.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Groovy Guru
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Thu 18 Jul 2019 5:05pm
Groovy Guru wrote: Thu 18 Jul 2019 4:21pm If he mentions the word juggernaut ........ he is outski
That's right. Better to be vanilla and not have any aspirations to become a successful footy club. Better to choose a coach with no ambition, who treats the role like an 'ordinary' job, speaks in cliches and considers themselves powerless to effect change and drive excellence in the organisation

If the next coach is prepared to aim for the ultimate and if he believes he needs five years to get us there, then we should not baulk and just play it safe for the sake of outside perceptions

Leigh Matthews made an off the cuff remark on Game Day last week on Channel 7. I think it was in regard to Paul Roos getting a gig as a mentor or director of coaching and the amount of pay that Roos would likely demand. I think St Kilda should sound out Lethal and see how serious he was about getting back to a club environment.
Er ..... it was a tongue in cheek quote from Watters when he first came to the club but by all means carry on with your outrage.

Nothing like a bit of pointless outrage to get the blood boiling.