Richo’s Blind Spots

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Cordz2
Club Player

Richo’s Blind Spots

It seems to me that Richo sees things that no one else in the football universe can see. On the flip side, he misses things that to everyone else is plain as day.
Thought I’d start some examples- feel free to add.
What Richo sees that no else can:
Newnes is a star.
Longer is a star
We’ve got a very strong midfield group.
We are a finals team.
We are really improving.
Marshall is only a small ruckman learning the game.
Sinclair and Dunstan only need 20 possessions between them to deserve to be picked in the midfield week after week.
Mackenzie didn’t need to be moved from Cameron after the first 3 goals.
Hind is lucky to be getting a game.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Re: Richo’s Blind Spots

He doesn’t think Newnes is a star, and would be frustrated with a senior players output

He doesn’t rate Billy at all, hence Billy playing at Sandy this year and last while Hickey, Marshall and Pierce have rucked

Without Steven we are not a strong midfield group, he would know this

Most teams aim for finals, we will not make it due to lack of ability on the park

We have improved on last year, 6 wins and done it without our three most important players for the most part

Marshall is only a small ruckman learning the game... and is doing well
Big ruckmen include Gawn, Witts, Mumford, Grundy and Nat

Sinclair plays HF, 13ppg is pretty normal there, Dunstan doesn’t spread enough to accumulate more than 20 on average

McKenzie was not on the ground for Cameron’s first two goals, he was off injured and Wilkie was the one who he kicked them on. He then outpointed McKenzie twice, he does that as he is a jet, who in our defence would have done better, remembering Geary unavailable.

Hind played HB at Sandy for the first 8 weeks, and wasn’t looking like getting a game, like White, there is a cue at HB with Savage and Wilkie doing alright there. They made the switch in the vfl and it’s paid dividends.

Watch more footy, or watch it more closely

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Richo's blind spot includes all the grass between the 8 goal posts and 36 players running around. He pretends to have some idea what he is doing but has one of the poorest footballing IQ's I have seen from an AFL coach.
Last edited by Impatient Sainter on Fri 05 Jul 2019 10:07pm, edited 1 time in total.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Was Richo blind in 2016/2017 when we went better than 50% with an average list?

I think it’s hard to get a read imo as this is the worse list I’ve seen at StK. especially with the injuries to key personnel.

The three highest paid players have missed most of the season and the skipper is also out for the season.

I agree he’s done and dusted as a coach at afl level because the results just don’t stack up, and that the business at the end of the day.

But to infer that you know more than an AFL coach and he has no idea about footy, is a little silly.

saintkid
Club Player

Thank god for Marshall's guts and determination under this amateur coach. He is quickly becoming our best player and was overlooked at the start of the season after showing quite a bit of promise late last year. Richardson actually had him third in line for the ruck position behind Longer and Pierce! You are correct Cordz2......time and time again he demonstrates to the supporters that he has limited vision with his selections, no wonder he has failed to develop players.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

So Marshall hasn’t developed?

I would say he has improved a fair bit?!

Marshall played Forward last year, had not shown enough as a Ruckman in 2018 at VFL level to get the number 1 Ruck position, lacked the strength and fitness required at the time.

Pierce got the nod in in R1 after taking Marshall to the cleaners in the intra club.

Marshall dominated R1 in the VFL while Pierce struggled so the switch was made. That being said, Pierce struggled against the 209cm monster from the GC who leads the league in HOs.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

I wonder if all that study that Richo has done (Power sent him to Hawaii before we got him, on some expensive learning boot camp)
has taught him to believe in his own judgement and just be passionate about himself.
Like pyramid selling schemes.
I worked for 2 years for an insurance company that I had to resign from because of the daily 'sell sell sell' mantra, that underpinned everything.
Cliches thrown around such as 'the customer experience', 'having that conversation', 'for the better' (a TV slogan they've been using for 5 years), 'we're selling a promise' and when customers complain that they've been with us for 12 years but we're only offering discounts to new customers- divert and distract by any means possible.

Richo has been sold the idea of success is based on the courage of your convictions, don't be distracted, be firm, believe that only YOU know what you're doing is right, being firm is not stubborness but ambition.

Everything he does and says indicates to me that he is thinking like a Scientologist, or a born-again Christian.
I wonder whether his singular vision and his salesman's pitch (the Powerpoint presentation) is what convinced the board that here was a superbly driven individual who had the spine to carry our hopes.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Or is he just trying to coach a pretty average team playing against better teams?

Cordz2
Club Player

I just thought of some others:
- Poor kicking skills are understandable.
- What’s important is our response to what happened not what happened.
- Poor Goal kicking improved by working even harder on the track - Not by improving mindset and focus.
- Acres can play anywhere anytime.
- doing international coaching courses makes me smart enough to be a great coach.

Believe in your convections is one thing as long as your able to work with people who will tell you that you’re wrong. Then listen to them and change. Richo seems to barrack for his players rather than work on them to get the best out of themselves. In after match pressers, he tends to talk about his opinions on the game from afar. Not his role and the players roles in the losses. He’s a simplistic thinker Richo, and to coach successfully in this game, you need a person with a deep and complex understanding many areas. More like a CEO brain.