The Positives

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

takeaway
Club Player

Re: The Positives

Devilhead wrote: Sun 30 Jun 2019 10:14pm
takeaway wrote: Sun 30 Jun 2019 9:59pm
Devilhead wrote: Sun 30 Jun 2019 8:49pm
tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Sun 30 Jun 2019 8:12pm The Tigers really flooded their half after qtr time in fairness to the Saints going forward. It was like the Berlin Wall. We often had the ball around the HB line and Lynch was the last line and he was in the centre circle. It's hard to kick goals against that.
They were able to flood our back half because we moved the ball too slow Ted - that was Richos game plan he said it so himself to slow down in order to negate their manic chaos ball pressure game

Hardwick didn't even need to outcoach him as he outcoached himself

Wake up Teddyboy - Cho has no ideo!!!
Not how I see it. After half time, to help slow us down, Tigers changed their plan to a tighter zone, so we had the choice to bomb it long, which a lot on here love, or chip it around to keep possession and try for an opening. Still in it at 3 quarter time despite bad kicking, probably would not have been with the bomb, which the Tigers love.

Wake up Devilo!!
We didn't look for an opening we chipped it round then bombed it long - we for sure didn't take the game on and we were only in the game as we wasted so much time chipping it around it gave the Tigers less time to kick goals once we eventually turned it over anyway

9 goal turnaround in 2 and half quarters

That's called being outtcoached and having no idea how to stop the rrot once it sets in
Didn't look for an opening? OK then. You must have been distracted.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Sun 30 Jun 2019 10:31pm
tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Sun 30 Jun 2019 8:12pm The Tigers really flooded their half after qtr time in fairness to the Saints going forward. It was like the Berlin Wall. We often had the ball around the HB line and Lynch was the last line and he was in the centre circle. It's hard to kick goals against that.
They were able to flood our back half because we moved the ball too slow Ted - that was Richos game plan he said it so himself to slow down in order to negate their manic chaos ball pressure game

Not how I see it. After half time, to help slow us down, Tigers changed their plan to a tighter zone, so we had the choice to bomb it long, which a lot on here love, or chip it around to keep possession and try for an opening. Still in it at 3 quarter time despite bad kicking, probably would not have been with the bomb, which the Tigers love.

Wake up Devilo!!
We didn't look for an opening we chipped it round then bombed it long - we for sure didn't take the game on and we were only in the game as we wasted so much time chipping it around it gave the Tigers less time to kick goals once we eventually turned it over anyway

That's called being outtcoached and having no idea how to stop the rrot once it sets in
We were playing timid before the third quarter.

The team must have been under instructions because we had control of the footy in the last 2 minutes of both the first quarter and the second quarter and we chose to kick it sideways and chose NOT to go forward even for one last thrust in the last 20-30 seconds

There were signs that we were not going to be aggressive and I've never ever seen a team win a game of footy unless they are aggressive.

The stats showed that we were timid (losing contested footy). We were slowing things down and playing keepings off when they were getting a run on and we took it too far with too much defensive play. We were trying to prevent them from scoring rather than taking them on and trying to win the bloody game.

ace
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Sun 30 Jun 2019 4:58pm Lots of positives today and a brave effort for most of the game against a real top 4 side when fully fit.

We got beat by class and players 3-4 years ahead of ours in development. A young Saints couldn't keep up the pressure and intensity all game. It showed in the last.

Clark was outstanding. Coffield belongs. Marshall keeps going.

We need Steven back and another gun mid for 2020.
So who is the gun midfielder we are getting with pick No2 in this year's draft.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

ss1986 wrote: Sun 30 Jun 2019 9:54pm
st.byron wrote: Sun 30 Jun 2019 9:18pm
ss1986 wrote: Sun 30 Jun 2019 7:26pm
HardSaint wrote: Sun 30 Jun 2019 7:05pm Richo's message to fans was rather upbeat, talked of many positives
at least we werent as bad a last week

it truly is groundhog day
I get a good laugh out of it these days. Just hilarious hearing him try to justify our performance/his coaching.

“We had to go around them a bit today.... I know it was probably frustrating for you all.... but it gave us a chance to win the game”..... 🤣🤣🤣🤣 WTF is he on about??
Did he honestly say that? I haven’t seen it.
“The players really embraced the plan to play kick and catch to go around them. Im sure that probably frustrated you all at times, but it kept us in the game”
Jarring...

takeaway
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Mon 01 Jul 2019 12:52am

Wake up Devilo!!

The team must have been under instructions because we had control of the footy in the last 2 minutes of both the first quarter and the second quarter and we chose to kick it sideways and chose NOT to go forward even for one last thrust in the last 20-30 seconds

There were signs that we were not going to be aggressive and I've never ever seen a team win a game of footy unless they are aggressive.

The stats showed that we were timid (losing contested footy). We were slowing things down and playing keepings off when they were getting a run on and we took it too far with too much defensive play. We were trying to prevent them from scoring rather than taking them on and trying to win the bloody game.
OK, fair enough, you're an advocate for the long bomb in and hope. Our very tall forward line of Bruce, and .... er Bruce, should either mark it or get it to the ground, and keep Astbury, Grimes & co away from it. Richmond dropped their defence further back to stop the bomb over the top of them, so good luck with your plan.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

I thought everyone was whinging about the bombing into the hotspot...now we want it back? I'm confused.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
Vazelos
Club Player

Positives are we have found some players this year and our prized recruit will be into his 2 nd year and spear head this forward line.

Nick Hind
Callum Wilkie
Mathew Parker

3 excellent mature age players we picked up for peanuts.
Max King will come in to spearhead that forward line next season he will be 20 have completed a full preseason at 202 cm runs like the wind he is a special talent.
Rowan Marshall is a revelation and is close to the most important player on our list.
We have 5 excellent young talents:
Marshall
Gresham
Billings
Clark
King

Then you have players like Battle, Steele to compliment the older established players like Carlisle, Ross, Steven(when he gets back), Geary, Hannabery etc
There have been other little finds like Ben Paton who has shown he can play.
McCartin and Robertson’s futures will be decided one way or another.
We need to win a battle in the FREE AGENCY.
We are desperate for an elite midfielder and looks like we need another Ruckman.
Until we find these players we won’t take the final step our mid field can’t compete against the top 4.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

In some jurisdictions the jury is out about Gresham being entitled to excellent status or King, get well soon, who is yet to kick an AFL footy and notable for his surgical history. Sides can't afford even a couple of passengers to challenge. We have some very bright prospects but a pretty sterile incubator.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Vazelos wrote: Mon 01 Jul 2019 9:00am Positives are we have found some players this year and our prized recruit will be into his 2 nd year and spear head this forward line.

Nick Hind
Callum Wilkie
Mathew Parker

3 excellent mature age players we picked up for peanuts.
Max King will come in to spearhead that forward line next season he will be 20 have completed a full preseason at 202 cm runs like the wind he is a special talent.
Rowan Marshall is a revelation and is close to the most important player on our list.
We have 5 excellent young talents:
Marshall
Gresham
Billings
Clark
King

Then you have players like Battle, Steele to compliment the older established players like Carlisle, Ross, Steven(when he gets back), Geary, Hannabery etc
There have been other little finds like Ben Paton who has shown he can play.
McCartin and Robertson’s futures will be decided one way or another.
We need to win a battle in the FREE AGENCY.
We are desperate for an elite midfielder and looks like we need another Ruckman.
Until we find these players we won’t take the final step our mid field can’t compete against the top 4.
Great positive post Vaz. We are close but still a bit off in some ways. Good discussion.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I don't think we will win another game this year.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Mon 01 Jul 2019 9:50am I don't think we will win another game this year.
Whether we do or we don't Fireman, I just hope we continue to see players such as Clark, Coffield, Paton, Hind, Parker and Long get a run of games into them. I am hoping White, Langlands and Clavarino also get opportunities.

I just think the ceiling on these kids can be so much higher than the ones we've been persevering with. I do know we'll never find out if they are not encouraged and afforded those opportunities.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Mon 01 Jul 2019 10:31am
The Fireman wrote: Mon 01 Jul 2019 9:50am I don't think we will win another game this year.
Whether we do or we don't Fireman, I just hope we continue to see players such as Clark, Coffield, Paton, Hind, Parker and Long get a run of games into them. I am hoping White, Langlands and Clavarino also get opportunities.

I just think the ceiling on these kids can be so much higher than the ones we've been persevering with. I do know we'll never find out if they are not encouraged and afforded those opportunities.
totally agree, we need to use what junk time we have left to develop overall what we have for next year...and hopefully get a coach that utilise them to their best abilities. We have talent but it's being squandered.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Mon 01 Jul 2019 8:14am

Wake up Devilo!!

OK, fair enough, you're an advocate for the long bomb in and hope. Our very tall forward line of Bruce, and .... er Bruce, should either mark it or get it to the ground, and keep Astbury, Grimes & co away from it. Richmond dropped their defence further back to stop the bomb over the top of them, so good luck with your plan.
wtf are you talking about? Where did I say in my post that we should have been 'bombing it in'? You know you can move the ball inside 50 other ways don't you? We needed to rotate who the leading target was going to be each time and just work better as a forward unit. The issue was that they took way too long to enter (and kept doing the same thing) and by that time the forward line was flooded.

It's like when a good midfielder has a tag on him all day. He can either decide to hide in the forward line if he is a good 1-1 player or he can just shake the tag and beat the opposition no matter how defensive the opposition wants to play

takeaway
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Mon 01 Jul 2019 11:57am
takeaway wrote: Mon 01 Jul 2019 8:14am

Wake up Devilo!!

wtf are you talking about? Where did I say in my post that we should have been 'bombing it in'? You know you can move the ball inside 50 other ways don't you? We needed to rotate who the leading target was going to be each time and just work better as a forward unit. The issue was that they took way too long to enter (and kept doing the same thing) and by that time the forward line was flooded.

It's like when a good midfielder has a tag on him all day. He can either decide to hide in the forward line if he is a good 1-1 player or he can just shake the tag and beat the opposition no matter how defensive the opposition wants to play
Be interested in your "other ways" bearing in mind after half time Richmond dropped their defensive zone back 20-30m to stop the over the back kicks, so there weren't too many open spaces on the forward line. So, we chipped it around to move the defence, and hope to get a target. I agree better to do it quickly, but not always possible. We still generated plenty of scoring opportunities (3.10 to 10.5) but poor kicking cost us. Our quick ball movement worried the Tigers early, so they zoned back more to stop it. Your method would have led to a lot more "bombs" and right into Richmond's hands. They were a bit slick for us anyway.

"We needed to rotate who the leading target was going to be each time and just work better as a forward unit" - that's a classic. Duh.

barneyboyz
Club Player

HighettMan wrote: Sun 30 Jun 2019 5:04pm Watch the game again, 2nd game back for Jake from a serious injury with no pre season. Its common for players to stuggle in thier 2nd game in that situation.

Coaching might have hurt us today. The game plan either changed after half time or the players tightened up.
Fair points. When watching most of our games this year, it's been clear to me that we are at least one tall player short at each end, you need to have marking players 60 - 70m out from goal. Early on Sunday our forwards were taking marks here and we weren't letting the Tigers mark going into their 50. As the game went on we couldn't keep it up and eventually even Dusty was taking marks at 60m.

Jake isn't the only one that's stuffed, as all our taller backs have had a huge workload this year. Coaching? it's not clear whether the instructions change throughout games or if they just go into their shells? either way it's the coaches responsibility, isn't it?

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
HighettMan
Club Player

barneyboyz wrote: Wed 03 Jul 2019 8:59am
HighettMan wrote: Sun 30 Jun 2019 5:04pm Watch the game again, 2nd game back for Jake from a serious injury with no pre season. Its common for players to stuggle in thier 2nd game in that situation.

Coaching might have hurt us today. The game plan either changed after half time or the players tightened up.
Fair points. When watching most of our games this year, it's been clear to me that we are at least one tall player short at each end, you need to have marking players 60 - 70m out from goal. Early on Sunday our forwards were taking marks here and we weren't letting the Tigers mark going into their 50. As the game went on we couldn't keep it up and eventually even Dusty was taking marks at 60m.

Jake isn't the only one that's stuffed, as all our taller backs have had a huge workload this year. Coaching? it's not clear whether the instructions change throughout games or if they just go into their shells? either way it's the coaches responsibility, isn't it?
We've been short a tall forward for 2 seasons now with Paddy not available, it's been very hard to execute and settle a game plan down with key structural players missing. This issue alone is arguably the thing that keeps Alan awake at night.

Game plans are very similar in AFL these days, each club copies the other so all this balcony about the importance of game plans is overrated by fans. The other negative impact to losing key structural players is you might need to make changes to a game plan to play to the revised strength and this hurts becuase a hell of a lot of elite sport training is bases on rote learning. Rote learning is a principle of education used by primarry school teachers to teach the ABCs, imagine if all of a sudden we changed our Alphabet. Most of would be off Saintsational for months learnimg new ways to spread BS. Some would have to retire.

And yeah something changed after half time. It was a different style. Did they freeze up. Did the coach change something. Would love to know.

Have the courage to call out r ACE ism
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

HighettMan wrote: Wed 03 Jul 2019 11:16am

We've been short a tall forward for 2 seasons now with Paddy not available, it's been very hard to execute and settle a game plan down with key structural players missing. This issue alone is arguably the thing that keeps Alan awake at night.

Game plans are very similar in AFL these days, each club copies the other so all this balcony about the importance of game plans is overrated by fans. The other negative impact to losing key structural players is you might need to make changes to a game plan to play to the revised strength and this hurts becuase a hell of a lot of elite sport training is bases on rote learning. Rote learning is a principle of education used by primarry school teachers to teach the ABCs, imagine if all of a sudden we changed our Alphabet. Most of would be off Saintsational for months learnimg new ways to spread BS. Some would have to retire.

And yeah something changed after half time. It was a different style. Did they freeze up. Did the coach change something. Would love to know.
If by gameplan - you really mean 'system to get the ball; hold the ball; move the ball' then fans might overrate them (probably because they don't have any idea of how highly coached and technically planned football is at AFL level) but coaches do not. Certainly not in the AFL. If we take it as read that Clarkson is the benchmark of AFL coaches - he has been quoted as saying that 'coaches making positional moves is overrated and does not happen. We are a system based team and anyone who says otherwise hasn't watched my teams for the past 15 years'. This was mid 2017 when he praised Hardwick for instigating a plan/system that was very hard to break down. Mmmm - system. Not sure Dawks fans overrated their game plan in 08 & 13-15. BTW - pretty identifable ... don't worry about contested posession; kick the footy through zones to short targets, keep it moving, wait til the opposition gives it back to you. Rinse/repeat to 4 flags.

I'd argue that game plans are strikingly different between clubs; not similar. One of the main things that dictates the quality of a style is the skill and aptitude of (a) the coaches designing the system and (b) the on-ground personnel executing it.
I actually think we've got a reasonable coaching group who seems to have adjusted our style to accommodate the limitations of our list. However, a midfield including the truly abominable kicking skills of Ross and Dunstan is only going to allow you to accomplish so much (i.e. unconvincingly beating sides below and around you on the ladder). So yes, losing a structural player can hurt but ... if you only have 1 plan, then really - WTF are you doing coaching at AFL level? Have a look at the structural players you refer to that Richmond have lost this year - Rance, Nankervis, Cotchin, Riewoldt ... that's literally 4/6ths of their spine and 4 guns to boot. And so how has Richmond held up having to change their gameplan/system due to loss of structural players? Pretty bloody good I'd think?. Why? Great system/plan that's well executed.

Systems/gameplans overrated? Yeah, nah ... you're miles off if you do that

BTW - nothing changed after half time for us ... Richmond just set their defensive zone slightly deeper that allowed us to press forward more which in turn meant they had more room through midfield and high half forward to create space and slingshot goals when we inevitably turned it over or were outnumbered forward.

Go you red, black & white warriors
barneyboyz
Club Player

Watched the Bombers and Hawks a couple weeks back, live, and if you squinted slightly you noticed a somewhat familiar game style from the Bombers to ours. Bugger me, they even had their captain bombing the ball in long. And if you really squinted hard, you could see that he was doing so, even though he knew nobody was home! Now I give our acting captain a little break here, as I don't think he even looks first, simply kicks the bloody thing long, nearly every single time. When he does have a look, he's not bad at all

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
HighettMan
Club Player

Saintmatt wrote: Wed 03 Jul 2019 1:08pm

If by gameplan - you really mean 'system to get the ball; hold the ball; move the ball' then fans might overrate them (probably because they don't have any idea of how highly coached and technically planned football is at AFL level) but coaches do not. Certainly not in the AFL. If we take it as read that Clarkson is the benchmark of AFL coaches - he has been quoted as saying that 'coaches making positional moves is overrated and does not happen. We are a system based team and anyone who says otherwise hasn't watched my teams for the past 15 years'. This was mid 2017 when he praised Hardwick for instigating a plan/system that was very hard to break down. Mmmm - system. Not sure Dawks fans overrated their game plan in 08 & 13-15. BTW - pretty identifable ... don't worry about contested posession; kick the footy through zones to short targets, keep it moving, wait til the opposition gives it back to you. Rinse/repeat to 4 flags.

I'd argue that game plans are strikingly different between clubs; not similar. One of the main things that dictates the quality of a style is the skill and aptitude of (a) the coaches designing the system and (b) the on-ground personnel executing it.
I actually think we've got a reasonable coaching group who seems to have adjusted our style to accommodate the limitations of our list. However, a midfield including the truly abominable kicking skills of Ross and Dunstan is only going to allow you to accomplish so much (i.e. unconvincingly beating sides below and around you on the ladder). So yes, losing a structural player can hurt but ... if you only have 1 plan, then really - WTF are you doing coaching at AFL level? Have a look at the structural players you refer to that Richmond have lost this year - Rance, Nankervis, Cotchin, Riewoldt ... that's literally 4/6ths of their spine and 4 guns to boot. And so how has Richmond held up having to change their gameplan/system due to loss of structural players? Pretty bloody good I'd think?. Why? Great system/plan that's well executed.

Systems/gameplans overrated? Yeah, nah ... you're miles off if you do that

BTW - nothing changed after half time for us ... Richmond just set their defensive zone slightly deeper that allowed us to press forward more which in turn meant they had more room through midfield and high half forward to create space and slingshot goals when we inevitably turned it over or were outnumbered forward.
Clarko's comment was in reference to him objecting to a journos question if he was going to spring a surprise game plan strategy to overcome a key missing solider. We are also familiar with his saying, lose a soldier, bring another one in. He was basically saying the core of our training is based on rote learning which is exceptionally good for pressure situations in a game like a close one in the final 2 mins of a game. Memory muscle works best in this scenario. You can't just re-train a radically new game plan in a week. AFL teams train different game modes which can be activated at short recall but again rote learning is required for the effective execution.

So game plan important, and rote learning of game plan and modes important, but execution is also important. It's like the fuel, oxygen igintion triangle, you need all 3 to make fire.

To my original point re missing Paddy and other key positional players, and/or not being able to get them all on the training track and playing field for large chucks at a time. Rote learning, they havent been able to learn together and get cohesion within the game plan. It's robbed us and Alan. Especially not having a key tall forward, arguably this has hurt us the most. It's what the peliecans always squawk and blame Alan for...bombing into the FL like it's actually the core of his game plan.

Rewatch the Melbourne victory last season. We haddy Paddy and Battle forward line ad that is probably close to what Alan has been trying to get going for a long time.

HighettMan
Club Player

Something did change for us after half time. We stopped the quick ball movement. We started our switch and posession game plan, I assume to try and reduce the chance of turnovers which is the Tigers bread and butter scoring option and we were also attempting to wait for a F50 option to present to avoid the bomb.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

That's an incredible insight HM, finally you've taken us inside the player's changeroom and given us that insight into Alan's coaching that you saw and why we can't afford to replace or even dream of improving on.

"Two key forwards - Bomb it long.
Two key forwards - Bomb it long!"

The players chant as they leave the dressing room to enter Marvel.

Richo to Rats: "The boys are up today, they've remembered every word I've drummed into them over 5 and a half years."

Rats: "Ahh Boss, Paddy's still out and remember I've got Battle playing back now."

Richo: "Bugger. I'll speak to them at half time, maybe they'll be strong enough that we can park parts of the first half?"

Richo speaks with the players at half time, pleased with their focus and positioning during the break. Out they run, armed with his renewed game plan.

"Hold the ball - chip it around.
Hold the ball - chip it around!"

Richo to Rats: "Can't believe I devised a plan B. 15 minutes of rote learning was all it took. Fingers crossed this gets us to 10 goals."

Rats: "Yes Boss, well done. No need to wear those headphones in the 2nd half, you've got it covered."

Bruce G McAbee
SS Hall of Fame

Okay so positives. Marshall has been great, but he needs back up, real back up not Bruce, that hasn't worked for 4 years.
Billings, becoming the player we knew he could be, switching him to the wing was a smart move.
Willie and Parker, 2 good pick ups
Let's not forget Hinds as well.
Lonie's form before he got injured, let's hop he can recapture that when he gets back.
Clark and Coffield are improving and should only be out of the senior team due to injury for the rest of the season.
So yes there have been some positives but there are still too many negatives and still too many issues that seem not to have been addressed.
May I add that the Scott twin is nor the coach we are looking for.
The rest of the season is the pre season for 2020.

Think of me long enough to make a memory.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Bruce G McAbee wrote: Thu 04 Jul 2019 2:16pm
Amen to that brother, amen.

Plus Battle and Paton are also positives imho.

As will Langlands be when he finally snags a game,

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

saynta wrote: Thu 04 Jul 2019 3:18pm
Bruce G McAbee wrote: Thu 04 Jul 2019 2:16pm
Amen to that brother, amen.

Plus Battle and Paton are also positives imho.

As will Langlands be when he finally snags a game,
If B White can’t jag a game then Langlands has no chance. It’s just not Cho’s way. Bell-end.

Go you red, black & white warriors