Time for players to show their support for Alan Richardson

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sanctorum
Club Player

Time for players to show their support for Alan Richardson

I gather that on Monday the players conducted their own review on the embarrassing effort against the Brisbane Lions last week.

They will undoubtedly be aware that a lot of commentators have stated that the club has placed Alan Richardson on "death row' - if the team fails to show marked improvement in the upcoming games then AR will not get an extension into 2020 or beyond, and more than likely will be replaced before season's end. Apparently the coach has a trigger clause guaranteeing an extension if the team plays finals this year - once it is impossible mathematically for the team to play finals presumably they don't need to pay out the remainder of his contract.

It will be up to the players to demonstrate where they stand. Whilst injuries has prevented the selectors to play their best 22, the team that runs out today is more than capable of taking the game up to the Tigers and cause an upset win and they have the added incentive to show their support for "Maddie's Vision", a project dear to the heart of Nick Riewoldt.

We will all watch with great interest to see how the team performs today, play well for 4 quarters and stay in the contest right to the end and the coach will survive to fight another day.

Play poorly as they have in the last 5 or 6 games and collapse in a heap like they did in the 3rd quarter against the Lions and it will mean a new coach for 2020.

It is entirely in the hands of the players and I really hope they get out there and belt the Tigers!!

"To do good is noble. To tell others to do good is even nobler and much less trouble.."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
BarryGrogan
Club Player

Re: Time for players to show their support for Alan Richardson

Sanctorum wrote: Sun 30 Jun 2019 1:25pm .... the team that runs out today is more than capable of taking the game up to the Tigers and cause an upset win....
Serious question: Why do you say that? What evidence exists over the past 5 seasons to suggest that this Cho led team is capable of winning?

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Geez you ask a lot of questions Bazza.

To the OP, guess we will find out at about 3pm this arvo if the troops care or not.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
Sanctorum
Club Player

BarryGrogan wrote: Sun 30 Jun 2019 1:36pm
Sanctorum wrote: Sun 30 Jun 2019 1:25pm .... the team that runs out today is more than capable of taking the game up to the Tigers and cause an upset win....
Serious question: Why do you say that? What evidence exists over the past 5 seasons to suggest that this Cho led team is capable of winning?
Just go back over the wins that the team has recorded in the past BG, not least the 2017 Maddie's Match when they absolutely thrashed the Tigers 138 to 71. But look, I get your view about AR, you're far from alone in your lack of respect for him, but my criticism is more of the club's Director of Coaching, Danny Sexton who for reasons beyond my understanding is escaping any responsibility for the team's poor performance - he is now in his 13th year at the club and I often wonder how much better AR would coach if Sexton was not in control of that department!

"To do good is noble. To tell others to do good is even nobler and much less trouble.."

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Richo is finished. Finally!

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Annoyedsaint
Club Player

The best I’d show for him is place a bag full of burning dog s*** on his doorstep.

That’s the best I can do.

He is repulsive 🤢🤮

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Sun 30 Jun 2019 1:54pm Geez you ask a lot of questions Bazza.

To the OP, guess we will find out at about 3pm this arvo if the troops care or not.
ok, so you are saying they don't care ?

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Cho gotta go ...... this week!

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Annoyedsaint
Club Player

Time for supporters to riot.
Clearly the club doesn’t listen to us

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

He should do the right thing, resign and go back to Port Adelaide to become the director of coaching whatever they do.

Sanctorum
Club Player

Following a major fade-out in the last quarter, after giving it a red hot crack in the 1st and 2nd quarters, I'm not sure how today's performance will be perceived by Lethlean, Finnis and the Board.

I guess the overall result, a loss by a big margin when they were in the contest for much of the game, resulting in the team dropping down to 14th on the ladder, could be quite damaging for Alan Richardson. With problem games coming up against a resurgent North Melbourne, followed by the league leaders Geelong it is quite possible that St Kilda will cement a place in the bottom 4 on the ladder, and that is just not acceptable.

Looking at the rest of the draw, there is not another game remaining, apart from perhaps Carlton in Round 22, that St Kilda are going to be favoured to win.

I feel sorry for Richo, I have friends who know him and who regard him as a decent man, a really good bloke and singularly committed and focused to get the team to succeed. But at the end of the day every coach is going to be judged on the success of their team, and rightly so.

A lot of names are being bandied about on who should become the next St Kilda coach - Clarkson (unlikely), Brad Scott, Luke Beveridge (unlikely) Ratten, Lade, Voss, Sumich, Harvey, Lenny Hayes, Blake Caracella, maybe more.

My view is that St Kilda can't afford to go with an untried rookie coach again, for once I agree with Grant Thomas about this.

Nor should it be someone with a quiet "decent man" personality; rather, as most of my generation would say, the team needs to have an experienced coach who is passionate about winning, an old=school hard task master, and that for me inevitably points to Brad Scott.

For those who are opposed to Brad Scott, I would point out that he has always had his team play an aggressive, attacking brand of football, as a leading commentator said this morning, North in fact over-performed during Scott's tenure. I have not the slightest doubt that he will do even better with his next team, and given the strong list that St Kilda will have in 2020, I am confident that he would have the team playing finals in his first year at the helm.

Annoyedsaint
Club Player

I’m sick of the talk about him being a decent man.
Who cares!!!! He can’t coach!

I’d rather the biggest asshole of all time they had a footy brain. No don’t pay people $650k to be ‘nice’ or ‘decent’ in professional sport.

Special
Club Player

Cho is gone. That’s obvious.

Unless he walks and settles for a payout of his 2019 contract only, we have to wait until it’s mathematically impossible to play finals.

May be as early as the Cats game - or that will be the point where the “maths” are so far off the scale that he finally walks.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

I hope they dont put up another incompetent panel to pick a coach