The Streak is Over.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Re: The Streak is Over.

Crikey ..... Newnes was like Pick 37 in a compromised draft - he has played over 130 games - some great some good sone average some bad

Not many players at that pick play over 50 - his body and head space is probably completely knackered playing so many in a row - imagine getting yourself up for that many games back to back over 6 to 7 seasons

Some need to pull their heads in and at least show a smidgen respect I reckon

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

saintadamski wrote: Sat 29 Jun 2019 12:36am
tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Fri 28 Jun 2019 11:46pm
saintadamski wrote: Fri 28 Jun 2019 11:18pm
tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Fri 28 Jun 2019 11:10pm I am discussing his time put into the Saints footy club. Don't misconstrue my words purposely.

Newnes will have done more than any of us for the Saints. Period.
Of course he puts time in... he's a fu$%ing player that gets paid to be there....

So we should sing his praises because he actually turns up to work?!

Beggars belief what comes out of your mouth mate.

The supporters on this forum have given their heart and souls to this club for decades.

Newnes is NOTHING compared to them.... without them there wouldn't be a club at all you fool
Not saying supporters haven't given anything. Plenty do and plenty have. Compared to the supporters that bag the absolute crap out of him, Newnes is streaks ahead of them in what he has done for the club.

Are you seriously trying to tell me that a 100+ game player at the Saints has put in less man hours than a supporter?

Pretty sure his name will be on the 16 locker for eternity too.
Man hours???! What the f$%k are you talking about??!
HE'S GETTING PAID!!!! IT'S HIS FU$#ING JOB!!!!

He is the one that should be grateful for being given 100+ games, when he didn't deserve most of them!!!l

Mate are you a club plant...social media team and PR spinning ?
hopefully we will get another break from him soon.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Devilhead wrote: Sat 29 Jun 2019 12:45am Crikey ..... Newnes was like Pick 37 in a compromised draft - he has played over 130 games - some great some good sone average some bad

Not many players at that pick play over 50 - his body and head space is probably completely knackered playing so many in a row - imagine getting yourself up for that many games back to back over 6 to 7 seasons

Good post Devil. Hammer. Nail. Head.

The boke has basically sacrificed so much of his life for the club since he was 18. I shouldn't have to explain what that means. It's a lot more personal sacrifice than being a supporter.

A bit of decorum and respect should be shown to Newnes.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
Josh Battle
Club Player

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Sat 29 Jun 2019 1:15am
Devilhead wrote: Sat 29 Jun 2019 12:45am Crikey ..... Newnes was like Pick 37 in a compromised draft - he has played over 130 games - some great some good sone average some bad

Good post Devil. Hammer. Nail. Head.

The boke has basically sacrificed so much of his life for the club since he was 18. I shouldn't have to explain what that means. It's a lot more personal sacrifice than being a supporter.

A bit of decorum and respect should be shown to Newnes.
Do you send Jill a 'thank you' card for every game that he plays seniors?

Maybe you should also send him a cheque (or do a direct transfer into his bank account) seeing's though he'll miss out on his match payment.

I fully concur with what Devilhead wrote but I think it's a bit rich to claim that a paid employee "has basically sacrifced so much of his life for the club"

It is his choice to play AFL football. No one is forcing him and he can change professions any time he wants

King12
Club Player

I see both sides of this argument, however, if you have dropped blood for the club, either as a player or in the outer, you are equally entitled to an opinion, if not, your a pretender and can f*** right off! You can all decide which one you are, I know which category I fit, how about you? 😂

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

King12 wrote: Sat 29 Jun 2019 1:53am I see both sides of this argument, however, if you have dropped blood for the club, either as a player or in the outer, you are equally entitled to an opinion, if not, your a pretender and can f*** right off! You can all decide which one you are, I know which category I fit, how about you? 😂
hmm do multiple visits to Victoria Park count ?

PS. others may have dropped blood.

realdeal
Club Player

So you agree he should be dropped then? Whatever that reason is.
Omitted (knackered)

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Waltzing St Kilda wrote: Fri 28 Jun 2019 8:51pm We're automatically a fraction better.

The only debatable point is the fraction.
1/22
4.545%

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
minneapolis
Club Player

desertsaint wrote: Sat 29 Jun 2019 2:37am
Waltzing St Kilda wrote: Fri 28 Jun 2019 8:51pm We're automatically a fraction better.

The only debatable point is the fraction.
1/22
4.545%
One twenty-twoth.

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

realdeal wrote: Sat 29 Jun 2019 2:23am

So you agree he should be dropped then? Whatever that reason is.
Omitted (knackered)
Absolutely - should have been dropped earlier - there are a few others as well

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
takeaway
Club Player

He actually dropped himself. What a legend. Didn't want to break the consecutive games record of a premiership hero, so went to Richo and asked to have a spell in the 2s. After quite an argument Richo relented. So he's done a Tubby Taylor. He's a ripper, great clubman.

HighettMan
Club Player

takeaway wrote: Sat 29 Jun 2019 8:22am He actually dropped himself. What a legend. Didn't want to break the consecutive games record of a premiership hero, so went to Richo and asked to have a spell in the 2s. After quite an argument Richo relented. So he's done a Tubby Taylor. He's a ripper, great clubman.
You might have to explain what a clubman is to the haters.

Have the courage to call out r ACE ism
Special
Club Player

I’m not going to overly bag Newnes. He doesn’t select himself.

Just a shame he couldn’t go down to Sandy today as a player with his mate Ross also.

It’s a good start, but would love to see Seb dropped also due to his pathetic disposal efficiency

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

HighettMan wrote: Sat 29 Jun 2019 10:28am
takeaway wrote: Sat 29 Jun 2019 8:22am He actually dropped himself. What a legend. Didn't want to break the consecutive games record of a premiership hero, so went to Richo and asked to have a spell in the 2s. After quite an argument Richo relented. So he's done a Tubby Taylor. He's a ripper, great clubman.
That’s priceless coming from you the way you carry on around here.

Absolutely fkn priceless.

😂🤣😂

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Being dropped is not a big deal.
Compare his development to someone like Lonie who was dropped and forced his way back repeatedly. IMO it didn’t hurt his development, it enhanced it.

Pretty clear that Newnes ‘streak’ hasn’t really helped him take his game to the next level. That’s not on Newnes who is clearly a good kid, a talented player, and a complete professional. It is a bit weird that he apparently has to figure out what’s best for himself.

takeaway
Club Player

Special wrote: Sat 29 Jun 2019 10:39am I’m not going to overly bag Newnes. He doesn’t select himself.

Just a shame he couldn’t go down to Sandy today as a player with his mate Ross also.

It’s a good start, but would love to see Seb dropped also due to his pathetic disposal efficiency
I agree Seb could improve his disposal efficiency, but 70% efficiency this year is not pathetic. Dangerfield 65%, M Crouch 70%, Nathan Jones 70%, Rory Sloane 70%. Can't be too bad.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Special wrote: Sat 29 Jun 2019 10:39am I’m not going to overly bag Newnes. He doesn’t select himself.

:roll: :roll: . Supporters...????? .Not.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

You're obviously havn a lend, but it wouldn't surprise me if Richo relented to pressure from others rather than making the decision himself.

What doesn't surprise me:

Everytime the 'haters' ask the 'lovers' to list Richo's strengths, there's not much response and the thread usually fades away pretty quickly

HighettMan
Club Player

SaintPav wrote: Sat 29 Jun 2019 11:06am

😂🤣😂
Do you have to stand on your tippee toes when you order a beer at the bar?

HighettMan
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Sat 29 Jun 2019 11:48am
You're obviously havn a lend, but it wouldn't surprise me if Richo relented to pressure from others rather than making the decision himself.

Everytime the 'haters' ask the 'lovers' to list Richo's strengths, there's not much response and the thread usually fades away pretty quickly
Who is your pick for the next coach and how and why will he improve on Alan?

Josh Battle
Club Player

HighettMan wrote: Sat 29 Jun 2019 12:24pm

First and foremost there are a dozen prospects out there who have tonnes more leadership qualities than Cho. I've never considered Cho a leader that demands his club and his players follow him on the journey to a premiership.

If it's going to be Brad Scott then I'd love to see some of his fellow Brisbane Lions team mates join him. Leppitsch or Caracella come to mind as they have been in the system for a while. See...I am learning...you keep harping on about 'team' and I've come to the conclusion/realisation that it has to be a united coaching team rather than just a very good head coach.

Leppa could take over too if Scott loses the hunger and shows signs of complacency. Both Scott and Leppa have a certain level of aggression that is missing from Cho, but both also possess calmness and a level head. I don't think they'd chop and change in their decision making the way Cho does.

If Ratten takes over as head coach and Playfair and Lade stay on that could also work. Lade seems to have that element of 'don't f*** with me' and you need aggressive and ruthless pgeople in your team. Every interview I've heard from our players they have sung Ratt's praises. Ratten has been a breath of fresh air to the team and his knowledge and his communication skills will be a huge improvement on Cho

I don't believe that Cho has the smarts to be a successful head coach. Nothing against the person or what he has been able to achieve in his professional career, however I reckon it takes a certain level of creativity and intellect. Leppa, Ratts, and Scott all communicate better than Cho

Ratten doesn't talk in cliches. Leppitsch and Scott don't either. There is no point talking about your players and about each game the same way every time. It is not only uninspiring for fans and for the playing list to be listening to the same excuses year after year, but it highlights that you are part of the problem rather than being part of the solution
Last edited by Josh Battle on Sat 29 Jun 2019 1:21pm, edited 1 time in total.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

HighettMan wrote: Sat 29 Jun 2019 12:22pm
SaintPav wrote: Sat 29 Jun 2019 11:06am

😂🤣😂
Do you have to stand on your tippee toes when you order a beer at the bar?
😂

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
HighettMan
Club Player

Josh Battle wrote: Sat 29 Jun 2019 1:01pm
HighettMan wrote: Sat 29 Jun 2019 12:24pm

First and foremost there are a dozen prospects out there who have tonnes more leadership qualities than Cho. I've never considered Cho a leader that demands his club and his players follow him on the journey to a premiership.

If it's going to be Brad Scott then I'd love to see some of his fellow Brisbane Lions team mates join him. Leppitsch or Caracella come to mind as they have been in the system for a while. See...I am learning...you keep harping on about 'team' and I've come to the conclusion/realisation that it has to be a united coaching team rather than just a very good head coach.

Leppa could take over too if Scott loses the hunger and shows signs of complacency. Both Scott and Leppa have a certain level of aggression that is missing from Cho, but both also possess calmness and a level head. I don't think they'd chop and change in their decision making the way Cho does.

If Ratten takes over as head coach and Playfair and Lade stay on that could also work. Lade seems to have that element of 'don't f*** with me' and you need aggressive and ruthless pgeople in your team. Every interview I've heard from our players they have sung Ratt's praises. Ratten has been a breath of fresh air to the team and his knowledge and his communication skills will be a huge improvement on Cho

I don't believe that Cho has the smarts to be a successful head coach. Nothing against the person or what he has been able to achieve in his professional career, however I reckon it takes a certain level of creativity and intellect. Leppa, Ratts, and Scott all communicate better than Cho

Ratten doesn't talk in cliches. Leppitsch and Scott don't either. There is no point talking about your players and about each game the same way every time. It is not only uninspiring for fans and for the playing list to be listening to the same excuses year after year, but it highlights that you are part of the problem rather than being part of the solution
Isn't it funny how days after the GT article talking about leadership we are now hearing criticism about Alan's leadership echoed on social media. The echo chamber is a thing on social media. Next we'll have Skeppers on here claiming he could see Alan lacked leadership 2 years ago.

You do realise that prospective coaches have management agencies with PR machines that will spin thier client's strengths based on media and public perception. Weather that is reality or not is irrelevant for the agency trying to make some coin by trying to get thier client the gig as a talking head of a club, aka "head coach".

Most of what you posted doesn't answer the question and I'm really interested to know your views seeing as though to you seem to know exactly what the incumbent's weakness are, by extension you should be an expert in identifying the new candidate that can improve on the incumbent.

Time for the knockers and haters to step up.

freely
SS Hall of Fame

For god's sake highettman - can you talk about football for a minute and give it a rest about what others on here should or shouldn't say/think? Every thread turns into what he said she said he said and how he shouldn't have.

Time for the knocker-knockers to shut up!

Josh Battle
Club Player

Yeah right...like this leadership thing just bobbed up in the last few weeks did it? Don't deflect and balame GT or outsiders. The issues with the head coach are of his own doing.

Let's say you are entrusted with the job of rebuilding and you are the head coach of a footy club. Any footy club!! Wouldn't one of your key goals be to teach and empower the next generation of leaders? I would think that if someone with a medium level of intelligence was in charge that they'd have realsied after 1-2 years in the job that leadership is crucial to success.

Now, what would you say if a leader turned around after 5 years and thought he had to all of a sudden act regarding a leadership void? This is what Richo had to say about the players under him;

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=95805&p=1742317&hil ... p#p1742286

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=95812&p=1742606&hil ... p#p1742597

Who does that after 5 years as their boss? Who blames his employees when he is their leader and it is his responsibility to teach them? He could have moved Roo from the captaincy in 2015 or 2016. He could have been focused on rebuilding rather than trying to sneak into 8th spot on the ladder before the team was ready to challenge for a premiership. He could have been a good leader