AFL Overkill

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Re: AFL Overkill

stevie wrote: Thu 20 Jun 2019 6:09pm Guys can u stop quoting? It’s an exciting thread and I love the back and forth but the endless scrolling past blocks of text is annoying
Good point, quoting is annoying.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
BarryGrogan
Club Player

True Believer wrote: Thu 20 Jun 2019 1:22pm
Maybe you need to stop using words incorrectly. You made a statement about those throwing the phrase "leftie" around, but you are using the exact behaviour that elicits that response.
You are misusing the word "racist". People are not being racist, they are discriminating. To be racist means to hold a belief or view that a person, or group of people, are in some way inferior or less worthy than others, or to hold a dislike/hatred of them, based purely on race. People are discriminating when they judge someone to be a new arrival to Australia, based purely on appearance.
No I didn't.

I didn't say that Kennett's comments were racist. I said they were stupid. Because it's impossible to tell where someone was born simply by looking at them.

The racist part came into it, when discussing why he made the assumption that people thst were not born here, don't know enough about the footy to be security guards at games.

The deep down racism that many old turds have in them, is what drives these types of discriminatory views.

I don't think anyone discriminates against a race or person, unless they deep down believe they're better than them.

That is what racism is.

I think I've been very clear. Funnily enough, the people that deny their racism and scream "LEFTIES!" at anyone who calls them on it - are too busy screaming LEFTIE at to me to bother actyally reading what I write.

BarryGrogan
Club Player

SaintPav wrote: Thu 20 Jun 2019 1:33pm
What your ignorant grandma did 50 years ago is irrelevant. No offence, but your grandma didn't sound that wonderful or compassionate, but it does sound like you're now on a bad guilt trip, man.
Why would I be guilty?

Racism was everywhere 25 years ago. It was rife all around me.

It still is to lesser degrees.

No offence taken at all. She, like many others was incredibly ignorant on the topic of racism - but not an all round ignorant person.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

BarryGrogan wrote: Thu 20 Jun 2019 6:47pm
What your ignorant grandma did 50 years ago is irrelevant. No offence, but your grandma didn't sound that wonderful or compassionate, but it does sound like you're now on a bad guilt trip, man.
Why would I be guilty?

No offence taken at all. She, like many others was incredibly ignorant on the topic of racism - but not an all round ignorant person.
My mother in law and many others of her generation hated the Japanese. My father in law served in Japan at the end of the war. I don't think he hated them, I think he felt sorry for them after seeing the effects of the two bombs. Was my mother in law racist. Were the English racists for hating Hitler and the Germans. Are we racists for hating Islamic state.

Sometimes people from races different to ours do really bad and horrible things. Hating them would be the normal human emotion or reaction.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Why would I be guilty?

Twenty-five years ago wasn't that long ago.

So apart from being a racist and a bigot, she was not an all round ignorant person? Minor detail.

Hmm. Interesting.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

The_Dud wrote: Thu 20 Jun 2019 5:22pm
True Believer wrote: Thu 20 Jun 2019 5:05pm
The_Dud wrote: Thu 20 Jun 2019 1:42pm I’m thinking there’s a lot of old white dudes here who have become worried not everyone bows down to their every thought anymore like they did 40 years ago.
Oh I see, so stereotyping according to colour and age is Ok if the subject is white, and old, but otherwise it's racist!!

It would be funny except for the fact that moralising SJW preachers like you are actually blind to your own blatant hypocrisy!
I didn’t stereotype anyone, you stereotyped yourselves.

I’ve thoroughly explained my reasoning in this thread if you care to read and respond to specific points (which funnily enough no one has).

I’m sorry if you’re offended.
Who is "yourselves" ??? I never said I am white, and I am most certainly not old......without knowing anyone personally you referenced "old white dudes" - so the only person stereotyping is you!! Another adherent of the APEX fallacy..........

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend

BarryGrogan wrote: Thu 20 Jun 2019 6:41pm
Maybe you need to stop using words incorrectly. You made a statement about those throwing the phrase "leftie" around, but you are using the exact behaviour that elicits that response.
You are misusing the word "racist". People are not being racist, they are discriminating. To be racist means to hold a belief or view that a person, or group of people, are in some way inferior or less worthy than others, or to hold a dislike/hatred of them, based purely on race. People are discriminating when they judge someone to be a new arrival to Australia, based purely on appearance.
No I didn't.

I didn't say that Kennett's comments were racist. I said they were stupid. Because it's impossible to tell where someone was born simply by looking at them.

The racist part came into it, when discussing why he made the assumption that people thst were not born here, don't know enough about the footy to be security guards at games.

The deep down racism that many old turds have in them, is what drives these types of discriminatory views.

I don't think anyone discriminates against a race or person, unless they deep down believe they're better than them.

That is what racism is.

I think I've been very clear. Funnily enough, the people that deny their racism and scream "LEFTIES!" at anyone who calls them on it - are too busy screaming LEFTIE at to me to bother actyally reading what I write.
I never said anything about Kennett's words in my statement. I simply said you misused the word racist......maybe you should practice what you preach and actually read what I said??

IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
BarryGrogan
Club Player

True Believer wrote: Thu 20 Jun 2019 7:41pm
BarryGrogan wrote: Thu 20 Jun 2019 6:41pm
No I didn't.

That is what racism is.

I never said anything about Kennett's words in my statement. I simply said you misused the word racist......maybe you should practice what you preach and actually read what I said??
I didn't say you did.

I was explaining how use of the term 'racist' came into the discussion, and pointing out that its use was correct.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend

BarryGrogan wrote: Thu 20 Jun 2019 7:46pm
I didn't say you did.

I was explaining how use of the term 'racist' came into the discussion, and pointing out that its use was correct.
What A load of hairy old bollocks. Firstly you went off on a tangent which I won't waste my time pursuing, and secondly, people assuming that someone doesn't know enough about football to be one of Gil's Gestapo because they weren't born here is not racist. It may be an assumption, it may be incorrect, it may be ignorant, or it may be ill-informed, but it is not racist.

Let me step you through it S-L-O-W-L-Y:

1) If they said "he can't join the Gestapo because he is black" that would be racist...

2) If they said "He can't join the Gestapo because he just got here, so he doesn't know enough about footy" that would not be racist. That would be ill-informed and incorrect. He may indeed have just landed at Tullamarine and not have a clue, but he may also have arrived 10 years ago and be a complete footy tragic who knows very well what is going on. Or indeed he may have just landed at Tullamarine and have spent his life following footy from afar with life long ambition of moving to Australia and being involved with the game in same way. He may also have been a fairly recent arrival who received excellent training and knows exactly how to do the job despite a complete disinterest in the game itself.

Almost all options in scenario two are the result of poor analysis based on observation. They are the result of people leaping to conclusions based on appearances. That is not racism, that is failing to gather enough data, it is poor analytic thinking.

Racism needs to carry some intent of malice or ill-will.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote: Thu 20 Jun 2019 7:38pm
The_Dud wrote: Thu 20 Jun 2019 1:42pm I’m thinking there’s a lot of old white dudes here who have become worried not everyone bows down to their every thought anymore like they did 40 years ago.
Oh I see, so stereotyping according to colour and age is Ok if the subject is white, and old, but otherwise it's racist!!

It would be funny except for the fact that moralising SJW preachers like you are actually blind to your own blatant hypocrisy!

I’ve thoroughly explained my reasoning in this thread if you care to read and respond to specific points (which funnily enough no one has).

Who is "yourselves" ??? I never said I am white, and I am most certainly not old......without knowing anyone personally you referenced "old white dudes" - so the only person stereotyping is you!! Another adherent of the APEX fallacy..........
If you’re not an old white dude then what are you carrying on about? I said ‘a lot of’, not ‘everyone is’ or ‘exclusively’.

Being ignorant isn’t limited to that one demographic, as you’ve apparently shown.

portosaint
Club Player

True Believer wrote: Thu 20 Jun 2019 8:09pm
I didn't say you did.

What A load of hairy old bollocks. Firstly you went off on a tangent which I won't waste my time pursuing, and secondly, people assuming that someone doesn't know enough about football to be one of Gil's Gestapo because they weren't born here is not racist. It may be an assumption, it may be incorrect, it may be ignorant, or it may be ill-informed, but it is not racist.

1) If they said "he can't join the Gestapo because he is black" that would be racist...

2) If they said "He can't join the Gestapo because he just got here, so he doesn't know enough about footy" that would not be racist. That would be ill-informed and incorrect. He may indeed have just landed at Tullamarine and not have a clue, but he may also have arrived 10 years ago and be a complete footy tragic who knows very well what is going on. Or indeed he may have just landed at Tullamarine and have spent his life following footy from afar with life long ambition of moving to Australia and being involved with the game in same way. He may also have been a fairly recent arrival who received excellent training and knows exactly how to do the job despite a complete disinterest in the game itself.

Almost all options in scenario two are the result of poor analysis based on observation. They are the result of people leaping to conclusions based on appearances. That is not racism, that is failing to gather enough data, it is poor analytic thinking.

That escalated.... But anyway, this is pretty much spot on.

I wonder how many on here actually associate with indigenous fellas. I mean really associate. Not pass them in the crib hut at work, or say hi when picking the kids up from school. Actually grew up as mates. Surf together, play golf togetger, camp together, have a beer and a feed together with the families.

Racism is a huge issue. Unfortunately as True Believer points out, so many stupid, ignorant and discriminatory comments get labelled racist these days.... It actually blurs lines for the uneducated people out there and makes the plight of our indigenous people even harder.

That's how I'm learning to see it anyway.
Last edited by portosaint on Thu 20 Jun 2019 8:57pm, edited 1 time in total.

portosaint
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Thu 20 Jun 2019 8:09pm
True Believer wrote: Thu 20 Jun 2019 7:38pm

If you’re not an old white dude then what are you carrying on about?
I said ‘a lot of’, not ‘everyone is’ or ‘exclusively’.

Being ignorant isn’t limited to that one demographic, as you’ve apparently shown.
Dude, unless you're indigenous or from a different ethnicity, then that is a super hypocritical sentence considering the content of this thread.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

I didn't say you did.

Excellent post. Brilliant, actually.

Everyone should challenge their own assumptions and beliefs, even occasionally.

BarryGrogan
Club Player

True Believer wrote: Thu 20 Jun 2019 8:09pm ...people assuming that someone doesn't know enough about football to be one of Gil's Gestapo because they weren't born here is not racist. It may be an assumption, it may be incorrect, it may be ignorant, or it may be ill-informed, but it is not racist.
Go back and read what I wrote.

It'll save you heaps of frantic typing in the future.
Last edited by BarryGrogan on Thu 20 Jun 2019 9:46pm, edited 1 time in total.

BarryGrogan
Club Player

SaintPav wrote: Thu 20 Jun 2019 7:22pm
Why would I be guilty?

Twenty-five years ago wasn't that long ago.

So apart from being a racist and a bigot, she was not an all round ignorant person? Minor detail.

Hmm. Interesting.
You know what, you're right.

I never really like Granny Grogan much.

BarryGrogan
Club Player

It doesn't at all.

And that's the entire premise of my argument.

You oven posted the definition yourself!
True Believer wrote: Thu 20 Jun 2019 8:09pmTo be racist means to hold a belief or view that a person, or group of people, are in some way inferior or less worthy than others
And this is why the denials of the racists are so stupid. They get all outraged at being called a racist, because they think a racist is a hood wearing thug.

But it's not limited to that.

Holding a belief that a particular race is inferior, or that a person is inferior because of their race (as you yourself posted) makes you a racist.

As I said, Kennett's comments come from that precise mindset.

His comments in isolation aren't racist, they're just stupid and make no sense.

But it's the racist belief that if you're not born here, you're naturally inferior at something compared to someone that was born here, that is the driver behind the comments.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

BarryGrogan wrote: Thu 20 Jun 2019 9:58pm

It doesn't at all.

And that's the entire premise of my argument.

You oven posted the definition yourself!
True Believer wrote: Thu 20 Jun 2019 8:09pmTo be racist means to hold a belief or view that a person, or group of people, are in some way inferior or less worthy than others
And this is why the denials of the racists are so stupid. They get all outraged at being called a racist, because they think a racist is a hood wearing thug.

But it's not limited to that.

Holding a belief that a particular race is inferior, or that a person is inferior because of their race (as you yourself posted) makes you a racist.

As I said, Kennett's comments come from that precise mindset.

His comments in isolation aren't racist, they're just stupid and make no sense.

But it's the racist belief that if you're not born here, you're naturally inferior at something compared to someone that was born here, that is the driver behind the comments.
That is just rubbish. You are atributing much more into what Kennett said than even he ever intended.

Anyway. Back,to something more interesting than reading s*** posted by you. The cricket. :wink:

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Thu 20 Jun 2019 7:08pm
Why would I be guilty?

My mother in law and many others of her generation hated the Japanese. My father in law served in Japan at the end of the war. I don't think he hated them, I think he felt sorry for them after seeing the effects of the two bombs. Was my mother in law racist. Were the English racists for hating Hitler and the Germans. Are we racists for hating Islamic state.

Sometimes people from races different to ours do really bad and horrible things. Hating them would be the normal human emotion or reaction.
My grandfather hated the Japanese with a passion. Couldn’t stand them. Then again, he lived in Japanese occupied Manila during WW2 awaiting a visa to come to Australia. The town got bombed. I reckon he was justified hating them for the rest of his life.
My Mum ane I once took him to a Japanese restaurant. We had to pretend it wasn’t Japanese otherwise he would’ve yelled “Hirohito” to all the waiters and stormed out! We managed to somehow eat there!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote: Sat 22 Jun 2019 12:41am
saynta wrote: Thu 20 Jun 2019 7:08pm
Why would I be guilty?

My grandfather hated the Japanese with a passion. Couldn’t stand them. Then again, he lived in Japanese occupied Manila during WW2 awaiting a visa to come to Australia. The town got bombed. I reckon he was justified hating them for the rest of his life.
My Mum ane I once took him to a Japanese restaurant. We had to pretend it wasn’t Japanese otherwise he would’ve yelled “Hirohito” to all the waiters and stormed out! We managed to somehow eat there!

My grandfather was very similar. He spent well over two years as a POW, held by the Japanese on the Burma railway (think Bridge on the RIver Kwai). He died in the early part of this century, and never ate rice again after WW2. No-one ever saw him again without his shirt on, including his own wife, because of the scars. He was not fond of the Japanese either.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Brian Smith
@briansmith3112
6h6 hours ago
#MarvelStadium @AFLcomau @AFLNation

Security guards going too far.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Some of Marvel Stadium’s controversial crowd controllers are among hundreds of security guards who have had their licences suspended as part of an alleged fraud that could affect top Melbourne venues and sporting events.

https://www.theage.com.au/melbourne-new ... 521k8.html

Over to the soy police.

:roll:

:D

BarryGrogan
Club Player

SaintPav wrote: Thu 27 Jun 2019 8:57am Some of Marvel Stadium’s controversial crowd controllers are among hundreds of security guards who have had their licences suspended as part of an alleged fraud that could affect top Melbourne venues and sporting events.

https://www.theage.com.au/melbourne-new ... 521k8.html

Over to the soy police.

:D
?

What is the relevance of that in the context of this discussion?

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

See the footage of the blokes spitting off the upper levels onto those below at the Saints v Lions game?

Glad they weren’t made to feel “uncomfortable” by having security guards in their vicinity :roll:

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Thu 27 Jun 2019 10:01am See the footage of the blokes spitting off the upper levels onto those below at the Saints v Lions game?

Glad they weren’t made to feel “uncomfortable” by having security guards in their vicinity :roll:
Strawman argument

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Thu 27 Jun 2019 10:16am
The_Dud wrote: Thu 27 Jun 2019 10:01am See the footage of the blokes spitting off the upper levels onto those below at the Saints v Lions game?

Strawman argument
Nope, not at all.

Goes along with the numerous reports and footage of punch-ons at the footy this year (and previous years).

But again, at least the flogs aren’t “feeling uncomfortable”