Awkward

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BarryGrogan
Club Player

Re: Awkward

Linton Lodger wrote: Sat 15 Jun 2019 11:37pm

If you say you don't think that Carlisle, Hannebery, Webster, Lonie and Steven will improve where we are now, then you're been disingenuous or not watching.
It's my honest opinion that the game plan Richo has instilled in the group, renders the quality of the player pretty much useless.

I honestly belive that even Nat Fyfe would seem mediocre playing under Richo.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

BarryGrogan wrote: Sat 15 Jun 2019 11:47pm

If you say you don't think that Carlisle, Hannebery, Webster, Lonie and Steven will improve where we are now, then you're been disingenuous or not watching.
It's my honest opinion that the game plan Richo has instilled in the group, renders the quality of the player pretty much useless.

So a gameplan that has us 6/6 with a spate of long term injuries to our better players, would render Nat Fyfe mediocre? Nah, I cannot accept you really believe that.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

As filthy as the Saints won, I'll take it any day, any week, any season, any decade, any century over an honourable Saints loss.

Any true Saints "supporter" who thinks otherwise is just a knob.

Saint supporter since '62
BarryGrogan
Club Player

Linton Lodger wrote: Sat 15 Jun 2019 11:54pm

So a gameplan that has us 6/6 with a spate of long term injuries to our better players, would render Nat Fyfe mediocre? Nah, I cannot accept you really believe that.

No.

A game plan that after round 6 in 2017 has restricted us from kicking over 70 points a game is what concerns me.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

BarryGrogan wrote: Sun 16 Jun 2019 12:01am

No.

A game plan that after round 6 in 2017 has restricted us from kicking over 70 points a game is what concerns me.
Have you been paying attention to the scoring in most other games? As I mentioned the only teams regularly scoring more points are Geelong, Collingwood and GWS.

Also, you didn't say the gameplan concerned you, you said it would render Nat Fyfe mediocre. That the inclusion of Carlisle, Hannebery, Webster, Lonie and Steven would be of no consequence because of the gameplan!

A bit more damning than saying that our scoring (which is actually par for the course) concerns you.
Last edited by Linton Lodger on Sun 16 Jun 2019 12:30am, edited 1 time in total.

BarryGrogan
Club Player

Linton Lodger wrote: Sun 16 Jun 2019 12:18am

No.

Have you been paying attention to the scoring in most other games? As I mentioned the only teams regularly scoring more points are Geelong, Collingwood and GWS.
You know we're 15th for Goals For right?

You know we're 16th for Points For yeah?

Our % is 87 right?

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

BarryGrogan wrote: Sun 16 Jun 2019 12:25am

No.

Our % is 87 right?
And aside from the 3 I mentioned, how far behind the others are we? Where would we be if we kicked a bit straighter? Of course to you injuries are irrelevant so I won't even bother.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Annoyedsaint wrote: Sat 15 Jun 2019 9:14pm
Linton Lodger wrote: Sat 15 Jun 2019 8:51pm I'll ask again. With their comparatively miniscule injury list, how are Richmond going? Everyone seems to avoid answering that and call it an excuse.
Richmond have an awful injury list. Comparing the quality of players to ours that are out is laughable.
How can you compare Carlisle, Steven, Etc. to Cotchin, Rance, Lambert, Riewoldt, Short, etc.

Doesn’t even compare!!! and they are still above us due to the depth they have!!
Lambert and Short! Are you making a joke?

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

BarryGrogan wrote: Sun 16 Jun 2019 12:25am

No.

Our % is 87 right?
I see that the reigning Premiers, West Coast, who sit in 5 place. Have scored a mighty 78 points more than us. That's 7 points per game, big deal.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

There has never been a game in the whole of Richo's tenure where I can recall that his tactics or changes to player positions on the ground have been the difference to us winning or losing. Armo played well at half back but how was that a gamechanging winning move? Both Brandon in the forward pocket or Hind playing in the forward line. How were they the difference? They weren't.

It was the usual very good players that just got us over the line against the team sitting 17th. Gresh, Savage's last ditch effort, Marshall's contested marks and clearance work, Membrey's goals, Seb's willingness to run and spread and provide an option, JB and Battle and let's not forget the bone crunching tackle late in the game on their captain D Swallow from Juicey.

I can honestly say that I've only ever seen a few outstanding performances under this coach and in 2 particualr wins, they occured because the team was motivated by a leader other than Richo

We had a brilliant win against the Dogs when Roo had his feathered ruffled in a mele (and he was targeted by several Dogs players prior to half time). It was the famous game when JB kicked a couple of winning goals at the death knell and we came back from being 55 points down and we had that other brilliant win against Richmond, once again with Riewoldt as the catalyst for the MRV match.

We fumble and stumble and bumble over the line in nearly all other matches and it's happened too many times now to think that it's just a coincidence

SaintPav posted in another thread that 4 of our wins are against the bottom 3 teams. Mind you we did this to Gold Coast twice and also just beat Carlton (under a goal again) and the Hawks win was only 5 points.

A few of the club apologists have continually commented about our injuries and bud luck this year, but how about some objectivity. If you are an opposition supporter and you just lost by under a goal against St Kilda wouldn't you be saying that Saints were LUCKY?

We met Essendon in Round 2 when they were playing their worst football for this year. The quality of that game in the first half was eerily similar to today

We had Hawthorn (who are clearly a team in decline with half a dozen or more players nearing the end of the careers shortly) plus a few of their best players out of the team when we met them.

Perspective!? The game style and the decision making is a consequence of the head coach. The constant references by Richo regarding skills and confidence are nothing but excuses for a bloke who deflects responsibility. I believe that our players are good enough and talented enough and it's their will to win that has got us over the line, especially in the last 2 years when it is evident that Richo has lost the ability to improve and motivate this squad...come to think of it, perhaps he lacked the ability in the first place

HighettMan
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Sun 16 Jun 2019 1:20am There has never been a game in the whole of Richo's tenure where I can recall that his tactics or changes to player positions on the ground have been the difference to us winning or losing. Armo played well at half back but how was that a gamechanging winning move? Both Brandon in the forward pocket or Hind playing in the forward line. How were they the difference? They weren't.

It was the usual very good players that just got us over the line against the team sitting 17th. Gresh, Savage's last ditch effort, Marshall's contested marks and clearance work, Membrey's goals, Seb's willingness to run and spread and provide an option, JB and Battle and let's not forget the bone crunching tackle late in the game on their captain D Swallow from Juicey.

I can honestly say that I've only ever seen a few outstanding performances under this coach and in 2 particualr wins, they occured because the team was motivated by a leader other than Richo

We had a brilliant win against the Dogs when Roo had his feathered ruffled in a mele (and he was targeted by several Dogs players prior to half time). It was the famous game when JB kicked a couple of winning goals at the death knell and we came back from being 55 points down and we had that other brilliant win against Richmond, once again with Riewoldt as the catalyst for the MRV match.

We fumble and stumble and bumble over the line in nearly all other matches and it's happened too many times now to think that it's just a coincidence

SaintPav posted in another thread that 4 of our wins are against the bottom 3 teams. Mind you we did this to Gold Coast twice and also just beat Carlton (under a goal again) and the Hawks win was only 5 points.

A few of the club apologists have continually commented about our injuries and bud luck this year, but how about some objectivity. If you are an opposition supporter and you just lost by under a goal against St Kilda wouldn't you be saying that Saints were LUCKY?

We met Essendon in Round 2 when they were playing their worst football for this year. The quality of that game in the first half was eerily similar to today

We had Hawthorn (who are clearly a team in decline with half a dozen or more players nearing the end of the careers shortly) plus a few of their best players out of the team when we met them.

Perspective!? The game style and the decision making is a consequence of the head coach. The constant references by Richo regarding skills and confidence are nothing but excuses for a bloke who deflects responsibility. I believe that our players are good enough and talented enough and it's their will to win that has got us over the line, especially in the last 2 years when it is evident that Richo has lost the ability to improve and motivate this squad...come to think of it, perhaps he lacked the ability in the first place
The fact of the matter is Alan coached superbly yesterday.

Mate your posts are getting longer and weirder, are you ok?

Just open your heart if it helps.

Have the courage to call out r ACE ism
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Well said Scollop, not much to argue with hence why there is none.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Sat 15 Jun 2019 9:47pm
Linton Lodger wrote: Sat 15 Jun 2019 9:03pm
st.byron wrote: Sat 15 Jun 2019 8:52pm
Linton Lodger wrote: Sat 15 Jun 2019 8:29pm
st.byron wrote: Sat 15 Jun 2019 7:08pm
Linton Lodger wrote: Sat 15 Jun 2019 7:05pm
BarryGrogan wrote: Sat 15 Jun 2019 6:58pm
Linton Lodger wrote: Sat 15 Jun 2019 6:50pm
BarryGrogan wrote: Sat 15 Jun 2019 6:28pm
Linton Lodger wrote: Sat 15 Jun 2019 6:22pm
We smashed them in inside 50s, If we'd kicked straight and avoided a few dumb mistakes, it was a 5 to 7 goal win. Richmond would love such a win at the moment.
But for 6 years, we haven't kicked straight.

For 6 years, we've made the same dumb mistakes.

If that was going to change, it would have by now.
And for 6 years the List has been young and inexperienced and still is.

Acres running forward with the ball after a good passage of play. Does Membrey lead out in front? No, he runs behind his opponent requiring a harder kick from Acres, he doesn't body his opponent to create separation and drops the mark under pressure. That's not coached.

When Dunstan tackles a player who lost the ball and didn't have it, in front of goal. That's not coached.

There were just countless examples of such dumb decision making. That's not coached.

Obviously poor kicking for goal isn't coached and whilst we're particularly poor in that regard, it's really bad across the competition, with the exception of Geelong & Collingwood.
Those guys aren't young and inexperienced.

Richo had a blatant 'kick it to Roo' game plan. It was mildly effective.
But then Roo retired.

And...well....here we are 2 years layer and Cho still hasnt overseen an ounce of improvement across the group. Despite 50 odd games of experience and development into young and highly regarded recruits - we've gone backwards fast.

Membrey is an excellent footballer, playing in a terribly coached and incredibly dysfunctional team.

He's not the only one.

We don't have a top 2 list.

However we have a lot of talent.

It's just so dysfunctional that everyone looks so haphazard.
We fielded 9 players with less than 50 games today, 3 or 4 of them with less than 10. That's an inexperienced team. How are Richmond going with all their injuries?
Lodger, it just sounds like excuses mate. Six years this crap has been going on. Do you genuinely have faith that Richardson can take this team into contention?
That remains to be seen, I certainly see no reason to sack him at the moment.
You are of course entitled to your opinion mate. So how long do you give him? Is six years of this not enough? At what point does it no longer remain to be seen and a decision needs to be made. Saying, “there’s no reason to sack him at the moment” reads to me like accepting that where we are at is acceptable. In what way is it acceptable? He’s had six years mate. What? Give him eight? How much of this mediocre garbage is enough?
For a start it looks like the inclusion of Hannebery, Carlisle and Webster is imminent. Lonie won't be far behind and Steven a few weeks away. Let's see how he goes with those blokes in the team. Let's see what sort of footy we're playing by the end of the season and what sort of momentum we may have. Then if its not up to scratch, be sure we can get someone better.
Mistakenly pressed the thank button instead of the quote button. Lodger, all those blokes were in the team last year except Hannebery, who was ranked 365th of all AFL players last year. (Acknowledge Webster only played 8 games) Nothing has changed mate. Just reads as delusional to me to think that adding those fellas, all of whom bar Hannebery were there last year, will make a massive difference.
We should have got someone better at the end of last year, we’re only marking time with Cho. Only reason he’s still there is money, it’s certainly nothing to do with performance. Just have to agree to disagree. Some people think he deserves more time, others think he’s not competent in the role and he should be replaced asap. Am firmly in the latter camp myself and have been for quite some time. Whatever needs to happen for him to be sacked, I’m in favour of it, even if it means losing games.
We are going nowhere with him as coach.
What's last year got to do with the present? If people cannot see the difference between last year and now, then I'm sorry they're blind. Just to state the obvious, this time last year we'd just won our second game and first in 10 weeks. This year we've won six and sit 1 game out of the 8.

Yep so we’ve won more games. Much softer draw and the manner of winning them has been unimpressive. Are you genuinely impressed by yesterday’s performance? Do you genuinely have hope that we can be a contender under Richardson?
Adding those players wont change the fact that the coach is sub-standard and not competent for the job. That’s the bottom line. Am sure he’s a nice fella and is genuinely doing his best, but it’s not enough.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sun 16 Jun 2019 1:20am

Agree with this totally, especially the bit about making excuses. Essence of Richardson’s tenure is lack of leadership.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

The "awkward" is possibly the President and the Coach making eye contact in the next few months.

Six wins, two against the bottom side, early season promise gradually sapped. 50% doesn't cut it for finals nor a cluster of 4 consecutive losses. Clearly the team was not tuned in yesterday: coming off a break full of complications and distractions, losing Steele, country ground, low key atmosphere, hot, humid, expected to win - a coach should see a lot of that coming and prepare the players to kill the game early. First quarter- no goals.

Outstanding personal efforts by Billings, Marshall and Dunstan, his goal was a spark, as was Bruce smashing one particular tackle. All credit to the team for pulling themselves together. White as a forward might be an accidental revelation, fingers crossed.

Can only wonder what a top flight coach could do with what we have. Really not much point in changing the coach now from a cost/benefit perspective. The relationship can end with the season; both parties saying goodbye with honour and no loss of face. We can't say Alan hasn't tried hard and we can't say he hasn't been given a fair shot. It just hasn't worked as every one would have hoped. A challenge for Ratten and Lade is to make sure bad habits don't become ingrained.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Excellent summation Yorkey, especially that Alan hasn't tried and he's certainly been given opportunity.

nw7
Club Player

I dont beleive its our gameplan or effort. Its our players. Even though they try hard having Seb as our premier mid and Josh Bruce as our key forward as well as persisting with others who will never be better than C grade is our issue. Seb should be our 3rd or 4th best mid as he would at another club, Josh Bruce is spoken about by our coaches like he is a star, he plays good games has good moments in games but I dont think the opposition lose sleap over him. I like these guys because they are Saints players and give 100% for us but they are not A grade players and we dont go looking for better players to replace them because we think they are good enough and we can build around them.

takeaway
Club Player

Yorkeys wrote: Sun 16 Jun 2019 11:00am The "awkward" is possibly the President and the Coach making eye contact in the next few months.

Six wins, two against the bottom side, early season promise gradually sapped. 50% doesn't cut it for finals nor a cluster of 4 consecutive losses. Clearly the team was not tuned in yesterday: coming off a break full of complications and distractions, losing Steele, country ground, low key atmosphere, hot, humid, expected to win - a coach should see a lot of that coming and prepare the players to kill the game early. First quarter- no goals.

Outstanding personal efforts by Billings, Marshall and Dunstan, his goal was a spark, as was Bruce smashing one particular tackle. All credit to the team for pulling themselves together. White as a forward might be an accidental revelation, fingers crossed.

Can only wonder what a top flight coach could do with what we have. Really not much point in changing the coach now from a cost/benefit perspective. The relationship can end with the season; both parties saying goodbye with honour and no loss of face. We can't say Alan hasn't tried hard and we can't say he hasn't been given a fair shot. It just hasn't worked as every one would have hoped. A challenge for Ratten and Lade is to make sure bad habits don't become ingrained.
What bad habits?

BarryGrogan
Club Player

Linton Lodger wrote: Sun 16 Jun 2019 12:46am

I see that the reigning Premiers, West Coast, who sit in 5 place. Have scored a mighty 78 points more than us. That's 7 points per game, big deal.
You're completely missing the point.

West Coast and Simpson have proven that their method works.

They've played finals about 4 times, two Grand Finals, and won a flag. They're currently 5th.

Right now, they are not flag favorites based on their current form - but they have proven and there is solid evidence that the method and game plan that Simpson has implemented since he has been there works. Right now, they're well beyond that level and wouldn't win the flag nor make a GF with the numbers they're producing. However we all know that if/when they get their s*** together, their method works.

With us, and Cho - there's absolutely ZERO evidence that what he's implemented will work. We haven't play a final, let alone win one. The closest we came, was when his method was 'kick it to Roo' - and even with a freak like Nick Reiwoldt in the team, his method couldn't get us into the 8.

BarryGrogan
Club Player

nw7 wrote: Sun 16 Jun 2019 11:21am I dont beleive its our gameplan or effort. Its our players. Even though they try hard having Seb as our premier mid and Josh Bruce as our key forward as well as persisting with others who will never be better than C grade is our issue. Seb should be our 3rd or 4th best mid as he would at another club, Josh Bruce is spoken about by our coaches like he is a star, he plays good games has good moments in games but I dont think the opposition lose sleap over him. I like these guys because they are Saints players and give 100% for us but they are not A grade players and we dont go looking for better players to replace them because we think they are good enough and we can build around them.
I don't agree at all.

Look at Charlie Curnow for example. When utilised poorly by one coach, his output was mediocre. When utilised differently by another coach, and played to his strengths - the dude is a totally different player.

I have zero doubt that 90% of our list wold improve when part of a better system, and when played to their strengths.

Seb Ross is an A-Grade defensive mid. But Cho keeps trying to make him an offensive mid. He's simply not.

Bruce kicked 50 goals as a marking forward. 50 FFS!! But Cho wants him to be a 'pack crashing' spud that 'brings the ball to the front' instead of a mobile marking target. It's wrecked his game.

Annoyedsaint
Club Player

Linton Lodger wrote: Sun 16 Jun 2019 12:39am
Linton Lodger wrote: Sat 15 Jun 2019 8:51pm I'll ask again. With their comparatively miniscule injury list, how are Richmond going? Everyone seems to avoid answering that and call it an excuse.
Richmond have an awful injury list. Comparing the quality of players to ours that are out is laughable.
How can you compare Carlisle, Steven, Etc. to Cotchin, Rance, Lambert, Riewoldt, Short, etc.

Doesn’t even compare!!! and they are still above us due to the depth they have!!
They are far better than some of the dribblers we have running around. You know, that’s why they’ve been good and we’ve been s***!

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

BarryGrogan wrote: Sun 16 Jun 2019 2:42pm
nw7 wrote: Sun 16 Jun 2019 11:21am I dont beleive its our gameplan or effort. Its our players. Even though they try hard having Seb as our premier mid and Josh Bruce as our key forward as well as persisting with others who will never be better than C grade is our issue. Seb should be our 3rd or 4th best mid as he would at another club, Josh Bruce is spoken about by our coaches like he is a star, he plays good games has good moments in games but I dont think the opposition lose sleap over him. I like these guys because they are Saints players and give 100% for us but they are not A grade players and we dont go looking for better players to replace them because we think they are good enough and we can build around them.
I don't agree at all.

Look at Charlie Curnow for example. When utilised poorly by one coach, his output was mediocre. When utilised differently by another coach, and played to his strengths - the dude is a totally different player.

I have zero doubt that 90% of our list wold improve when part of a better system, and when played to their strengths.

Seb Ross is an A-Grade defensive mid. But Cho keeps trying to make him an offensive mid. He's simply not.

Bruce kicked 50 goals as a marking forward. 50 FFS!! But Cho wants him to be a 'pack crashing' spud that 'brings the ball to the front' instead of a mobile marking target. It's wrecked his game.
Another great post.

What is so difiicult to understand? An individual with talent and with skill is every chance to be able to do it repetitively. If Ash Barty can beat the worlds best and claim a Grand Slam title, it isn't a fluke and there is every chance that she could do it again.

Sure, there are many more variables in a team sport and you have to trust in a successful system, however I think that this current line up has the talent to emulate our best ever performances. It is up to the coaching staff to instruct each individual so that the team as a whole is allowed to shine

St Kilda beat the Bulldogs in the year they won their premiership and comprehensively smashed the Tigers in mid 2017 with the Tigers also being the premiers in that year. The skill is there. The structures/gameplan, belief, confidence and leadership is a problem when you cannot maintain consistency.

The head coach must inspire and guide each individual so the team can flourish. The win loss ratio indicates he has failed. I think his coaching has not improved quickly enough and it points to the wrong person being appointed into the role in the first place. I have no faith in Richo improving. This is basically the best you can expect from him. Mid table or bottom 6. I cannot envisage him driving the club toward finals success.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Annoyedsaint wrote: Sun 16 Jun 2019 2:52pm
Linton Lodger wrote: Sun 16 Jun 2019 12:39am

They are far better than some of the dribblers we have running around. You know, that’s why they’ve been good and we’ve been s***!
We also have very good players. Short and Lambert play a role in a very good team that is very well coached. They have others on their list who can also fulfil their roles. We just don't develop our young guys as well as them and we had a habit of hanging on to some of our players for a year or two more than we should have.

What do football clubs do with the talent when they work out that they are not worth retaining. How would St Kilda look if we kept Wright, Shenton, Templeton, Delaney and guys like Curran and Murdoch? There's good reason why they were delisted. No other club picked them up if I recall correctly.

Most clubs give players a decent time period to work out if they are AFL quality and can potentially play a role and propel a team towards finals. The players get 3-4 years...most senior coaches get 3-4 maximum if they don't make finals....St Kilda looks like it will give Richo 6 full years.............................and I don't totally rule out that he may be given even more :o :shock: :? :(

HighettMan
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Sun 16 Jun 2019 4:23pm
BarryGrogan wrote: Sun 16 Jun 2019 2:42pm
I don't agree at all.

Another great post.

What is so difiicult to understand? An individual with talent and with skill is every chance to be able to do it repetitively. If Ash Barty can beat the worlds best and claim a Grand Slam title, it isn't a fluke and there is every chance that she could do it again.

Sure, there are many more variables in a team sport and you have to trust in a successful system, however I think that this current line up has the talent to emulate our best ever performances. It is up to the coaching staff to instruct each individual so that the team as a whole is allowed to shine

St Kilda beat the Bulldogs in the year they won their premiership and comprehensively smashed the Tigers in mid 2017 with the Tigers also being the premiers in that year. The skill is there. The structures/gameplan, belief, confidence and leadership is a problem when you cannot maintain consistency.

The head coach must inspire and guide each individual so the team can flourish. The win loss ratio indicates he has failed. I think his coaching has not improved quickly enough and it points to the wrong person being appointed into the role in the first place. I have no faith in Richo improving. This is basically the best you can expect from him. Mid table or bottom 6. I cannot envisage him driving the club toward finals success.
who's your pick for coach? and how do you know he will fix all of the the things you bang on about.

Have the courage to call out r ACE ism
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

No certainties as you say, but I would give a new untried coach a minimum 3 years and perhaps if it was a bloke like Clarko or Bevo I would give them 4 guaranteed with a performance based contract to go 1 extra.

I like Hayes, Ratten, Leppitsch, and Knights but there are people who have finals experience as players and in the system as assistant coaches and we should be talking to them. Don't let Walls or Roos get on any panel appointing the coach and get someone that is passionate and hungry to succeed.

Mick Malthouse would have been my choice when Lyon pissed off. Once we had Watters he should not have been sacked. He should have been managed with a director of coaching coming on board and Pelchen given the boot. W'ed be playing finals by now.

Mark Williams would have been perfect at the time that we sacked Watters. Choco wanted 5 years (because he knew we needed to rebuild) and we were only offering a 3 year contract. Idiots! Here we are 6 years later