Changes v Pies

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

King12
Club Player

Re: Changes v Pies

Scollop wrote: Tue 14 May 2019 3:48pm Most times he is scragged, arms held, opponents hands over his neck and over his shoulders and yet he takes good contested marks

Watch him closely when he takes marks uncontested and they won't look as bad
Not arguing with you, just making a point, every now and again, he just puts he's arms in the air in hope more than anything!

Yes, he is a good contested mark and a good developing player, just has a little technical flaw every now and again.

Good chat. Keep posting the positive stuff! 👍

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

SemperFidelis wrote: Tue 14 May 2019 3:48pm Elliott out (hamstring), Cox still in doubt, will impact out thinking on ruck options.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/jam ... 51n6q.html
Good one less livewire forward to worry about

Quite bullish about this game - absolutely in with a shout

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Only changes will be forced by injury (Webster?). Too close to indigenous round to rest B. Long. Newnes going for the longest stretch record won't be even considered for demotion. Unchanged side most likely. We may not score. Will defend valiantly, but.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Tue 14 May 2019 6:50pm ......We may not score.
Stop giving Listmanager ideas for a new thread

King12
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Tue 14 May 2019 8:13pm
Yorkeys wrote: Tue 14 May 2019 6:50pm ......We may not score.
Stop giving Listmanager ideas for a new thread
👍😂

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Parker or Long need to be dropped so forward line change needed.

Marsh could be a good inclusion against his old team at the MCG
Not sure if he's up to it or if he's match fit.

If it's not Marsh, then I'd give Robbie Young a go.

We also need changes to the midfield. I know this is radical and could backfire but I'd have Seb playing on the wing and Acres Steele amd Membrey as the starting mids. Let's go big and intimidate their millionaire mids. This will work if Marshall is switched on and our boys can get first use.

Seb needs to run with Sidebottom all day and sacrifice his usual possession game for his team. Obviously Membrey is there at the start of each quarter but we'll send him back to his usual spot after that. These sort of moves can unsettle your opponents. We have support in the middle with JB, Gresh, Ed, Sincs, Kent etc. so I'd love our coaches to try something new

The backline is doing ok, so I'd be making changes only if players have niggling injuries or for match ups

Would love to see White earn a spot so maybe he takes Newnes usual position and Jill plays more forward.

If Longer is picked in the team then I'd love to see a starting midfield of Longer, Marshall, Steele, and Acres. Ever wondered why the taller mids tend to win a lot of loose ball gets or centre clearances. Perhaps it's because tall blokes have longer reach.
These guys need to win the footy rather than try and look at where their man is. Marshall, Acres and Steele are very good offensively so I'd love to see the coaches back them in.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Got a feeling this week..

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
guitars4
Club Player

SaintPav wrote: Wed 15 May 2019 6:17pm Got a feeling this week..
Good or bad Pav :wink:

SuperDuper
Club Player

White is banging down the door. Needs to be given a chance.

Long needs to drop back to Sandy based on form

How they shuffle the decks, I dont know, but "selection integrity" requires the above

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Indigenous round should not be a factor for selection

Nee!
outside66
Club Player

In: Young

Out: Long

Long has been given plenty of chances and hasn't delivered. Young looks promising and from the 2nd half of the Sandy Collingwood game I saw, Young's pace and pressure would help spice things up abit.

freely
SS Hall of Fame

fugazi wrote: Thu 16 May 2019 8:45am Indigenous round should not be a factor for selection
Well, it definitely won't be a factor this week! ;)

Club Player

1. I would play Longer- get him into Grundy at every opportunity and particularly at the centre bounce. Marshall for around the ground or maybe as per below use him as the third tall.
2. Drop Long and bring in Marsh - the pies have two big central defenders, we need an extra marking target to worry them, which means we have to honour the lead! (if Marshall the sole ruck)
3. Newnes out for Hind

the invisible and the non existent look very much alike
bigred
Saintsational Legend

Stick with Marshall only.

Long out for Young. No point bringing in Hind and playing him out of position. Something needs to change up forward.

I would be looking long and hard at Jack Newnes. Hind would be the change we could make there.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Mason Cox not in. Rumours swirling De Goey is out too.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

fugazi wrote: Thu 16 May 2019 8:45am Indigenous round should not be a factor for selection
Agree. We’re a meritocracy, or should be.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

outside66 wrote: Thu 16 May 2019 10:43am In: Young

Long has been given plenty of chances and hasn't delivered. Young looks promising and from the 2nd half of the Sandy Collingwood game I saw, Young's pace and pressure would help spice things up abit.
Long has his moments and he was good earlier in the year. It's a difficult position and a lot of small forwards have quiet games. Kent and Long and Parker have all been poor for patches.

When you throw around a statement that someone hasn't delivered you are ignoring any good games Long had like the game against Melbourne. Long hasn't been at the Saints for 5 and a half years...you and I and most people know the person at the club who 'really' hasn't delivered :idea:

If you said he's been poor in recent games, I'd be happier with that.

outside66
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Thu 16 May 2019 4:28pm

Long has his moments and he was good earlier in the year. It's a difficult position and a lot of small forwards have quiet games. Kent and Long and Parker have all been poor for patches.

When you throw around a statement that someone hasn't delivered you are ignoring any good games Long had like the game against Melbourne. Long hasn't been at the Saints for 5 and a half years...you and I and most people know the person at the club who 'really' hasn't delivered :idea:

I'm sorry if I offended you but I stand by my comment that he hasn't delivered this year. He nearly cost us the game against the GC and everyone played well against the Demons. Long is averaging less than a goal a game whilst Parker and Kent are averaging over a goal per game. I reckon Longy will be star but I've been abit disappointed in him this year tbh. He needs a spell to get his mojo back.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

After his performance against vfl pies it would be hard to not give young a chance against pies. In saying that I rarely pick who gets dropped.
I'd say out Webster inj Kent/long
In Hind &young.

Cant see us winning this so let's see what these guys can do

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

outside66 wrote: Thu 16 May 2019 4:47pm

I'm sorry if I offended you but I stand by my comment that he hasn't delivered this year. He nearly cost us the game against the GC and everyone played well against the Demons. Long is averaging less than a goal a game whilst Parker and Kent are averaging over a goal per game. I reckon Longy will be star but I've been abit disappointed in him this year tbh. He needs a spell to get his mojo back.
You posted a statement and now you've changed it. Don't think that qualifies as 'standing by your comment"

Thanks for adding "this year". Carry on

outside66
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Thu 16 May 2019 5:01pm
outside66 wrote: Thu 16 May 2019 4:47pm

You posted a statement and now you've changed it. Don't think that qualifies as 'standing by your comment"

Thanks for adding "this year". Carry on
Not sure what you're on about. I expanded on why I thought Long hasn't delivered e.g. him averaging less than a goal. Must be a slow day at the office!

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I spelt it out quite simply and clearly I would have thought

Must be a challenge for some to understand reading and writing

outside66
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Thu 16 May 2019 6:11pm I spelt it out quite simply and clearly I would have thought

Must be a challenge for some to understand reading and writing
Maybe in your own mind perhaps, but on the outside you aren't making much sense.

Must be a challenge for some to not be an antagonistic twit.

<1 day ban for commenting negatively on a poster>

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Good ins this week.

Very excited to see what the little Aboriginal fella will do in his first game. He is an excitement machine and very hard at it. Has pace to burn too.

We play well at the G, I'm hoping for an upset. 😲

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

We are hard to shake and play games out. We have regularly produced play that, had we kicked straight at goal within a 20 minute period, would have put a defendable margin between us and every team we have played this year.
We should take a punt on playing Battle and Wilkie forward for a half each and put Marsh in the backline as 3rd tall/rebounder.