The Wash Up from the Crows game

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

King12
Club Player

Re: The Wash Up from the Crows game

Yorkeys wrote: Sun 28 Apr 2019 7:24pm Does anyone else feel for Billy L. It seems to me he tries his darndest but just isn't capable at AFL level given the class of ruckmen generally and most mid fields. I can see why AR likes him, he recognises a genuine trier, but so was the horse I backed in the Hawkesbury Cup that came last. Will still feed and pat him but won't put hard earned on him again. (And to be clear, I'm talking the horsey not Billy). Lewis P has to be reserve ruck for rest of season.
Can't be, Lewis hasn't played anywhere for a month.

Plus, he is worse than Longer. Not sure where you are coming from with that idea really. Anyway, just an opinion really. All the best.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Can someone please remind me why we recruited Nathan Brown?

Why is it that when St Kilda loses to a team like Adelaide that I get the feeling that he gets too easily beaten 1on1?

Is it just me? It seems to me that he is stuck between zoning and manning up and at times is stuck in no mans land. I'd prefer him to play a bloke like Tex in the old fashioned way and just stay close to him and never give him an inch.

It annoys the hell out of me when Brown loses sight of his opponent and lets those cheap goals out the back in matches. I mean I understand that he isn't Jeremy McGovern, Phil Davis or Alex Rance but I'd like to see him comprehensively outposition and out muscle his opponent for an entire match and not just as a once off

We love to praise our players who do outstanding deeds or show their brilliance with skill and poise or we applaud when players inspire their team mates with acts of courage. When was the last time you could honestly point out something like that for Nathan? Does he do enough to justify his position? Is it enough to just do the easy things well in a match?

King12
Club Player

So who would you play ahead of Brown then?

Why is it when we lose, some supporters can only still single out the same whipping boys?

Not picking a fight, just a serious question.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

King12 wrote: Sun 28 Apr 2019 9:36pm So who would you play ahead of Brown then?

Why is it when we lose, some supporters can only still single out the same whipping boys?

Sorry, I didn't communicate properly. I don't want him dropped and I even stated as such in another thread (see 'Roll the dice')

I just want him to be coached properly. I know that he can do the job. Remember a game back in late September of 2010 when he played against a living legend of the St Kilda Football club?

I was against the recruitment of Nathan, but happy to support him now that he is a Sainter. I just want him to stand up in a game this year and for Nathan to be the difference between us winning and losing

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Sat 27 Apr 2019 8:59pm What disappointed me most about our coaching today was their reluctance to try or change things up a bit earlier such as Long to HB and Battle forward. Also give Parker and Paton a rotation or two through the middle.
Battle did go forward and Long did go to the half back line in the last quarter.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Scollop wrote: Sun 28 Apr 2019 8:46pm Can someone please remind me why we recruited Nathan Brown?

Why is it that when St Kilda loses to a team like Adelaide that I get the feeling that he gets too easily beaten 1on1?

Is it just me? It seems to me that he is stuck between zoning and manning up and at times is stuck in no mans land. I'd prefer him to play a bloke like Tex in the old fashioned way and just stay close to him and never give him an inch.

It annoys the hell out of me when Brown loses sight of his opponent and lets those cheap goals out the back in matches. I mean I understand that he isn't Jeremy McGovern, Phil Davis or Alex Rance but I'd like to see him comprehensively outposition and out muscle his opponent for an entire match and not just as a once off

We love to praise our players who do outstanding deeds or show their brilliance with skill and poise or we applaud when players inspire their team mates with acts of courage. When was the last time you could honestly point out something like that for Nathan? Does he do enough to justify his position? Is it enough to just do the easy things well in a match?
One of Walker's goals, from a mark close to goal, was highlighted by the talking heads.
Brown was clearly 25m from Walker, on his right, but Crows had the ball over on the left. Walker made his lead and Brown never had a chance.
Why not stand on the PLAY side of Walker?
At least Rance, Rampe, Talia etc wear their man like a glove

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote: Sun 28 Apr 2019 11:48pm
Ghost Like wrote: Sat 27 Apr 2019 8:59pm What disappointed me most about our coaching today was their reluctance to try or change things up a bit earlier such as Long to HB and Battle forward. Also give Parker and Paton a rotation or two through the middle.
Battle did go forward and Long did go to the half back line in the last quarter.
I appreciate that JB, as I said, a bit earlier than the last half of the last quarter. I expect a Plan B or C to be discussed at half time. For all I know they may have been but the loss of Lonie in the first quarter, the loss of Marshall pre game and the seeming restriction to Bruce may have limited any likely change ups.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

King12 wrote: Sun 28 Apr 2019 9:36pm So who would you play ahead of Brown then?

Because it's easy and simplistic. Brown has been a good recruit for us from day 1 and has had his best year this year by a mile. He has been very solid.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Delaney was very solid

Tom Simpkin was very solid

The Nathan Brown that St Kilda recruited was a bloke who was struggling to hold a spot in the seniors at Collingwood. That is fact. Richo has never, ever left Brown out of the side when Brown is fit to play. The way he utilised Brown on Saturday (or the way things unfolded and he let them continue) was pathetic.

If Brown is the leader that we expect him to be he should have taken the initiative. He was the most senior backman and he should have worn Tex 'like a glove' for the whole match and we might have had a chance to pinch a win- thanks to Wellard for the use of that phrase ;)

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Mon 29 Apr 2019 11:09am Delaney was very solid

The Nathan Brown that St Kilda recruited was a bloke who was struggling to hold a spot in the seniors at Collingwood. That is fact. Richo has never, ever left Brown out of the side when Brown is fit to play. The way he utilised Brown on Saturday (or the way things unfolded and he let them continue) was pathetic.

If Brown is the leader that we expect him to be he should have taken the initiative. He was the most senior backman and he should have worn Tex 'like a glove' for the whole match and we might have had a chance to pinch a win- thanks to Wellard for the use of that phrase ;)
Really only Playfair would understand how the structure works and who should be in what position.

The fact the defensive group has been so good this year means they are probably justified holding their structure of the last five weeks.

I think the midfield got beaten particularly at the clearances and this left the backs exposed.

I’m not a fan of Brown as I think he gets beaten not so much one on one but in contested packs too regularly as he really has no leap and provides little rebound, but I think he should be in the team as he is better than the alternate options.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Simpkin and Dalaney...please. You're comparing them to Nathan Brown...seriously.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Good post Joff. I agree and just want a rocket up Browny so he plans better and plays smarter

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Mon 29 Apr 2019 12:10pm
Scollop wrote: Mon 29 Apr 2019 11:09am Delaney was very solid

Really only Playfair would understand how the structure works and who should be in what position.

The fact the defensive group has been so good this year means they are probably justified holding their structure of the last five weeks.

I think the midfield got beaten particularly at the clearances and this left the backs exposed.

I’m not a fan of Brown as I think he gets beaten not so much one on one but in contested packs too regularly as he really has no leap and provides little rebound, but I think he should be in the team as he is better than the alternate options.
I thought the same as you and said in this thread that I didn't want Browny dropped but it seems the coach has other ideas. I applaud the selection committee dropping Brown if it means he needs to be accountable and not just for the sake of making him and Longer the scapegoats. Hopefully it also sends a message to all senior players.